Page 3 of 265 FirstFirst ... 2341353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Just fore the fun of it:)

Smile Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

Quote Originally Posted by Saltiguy View Post
    Peter, I'm in awe!
    That roof structure you built is a masterpiece. One thing for sure, if there are meteor showers, you'll be safe.
    Per your suggestion, I should start taking some photos of my project. You've given me lots of inspiration for sure.
    One impression I got from your photos is that the boat has loads of elbow room and huge storage. Are you planning to live aboard?
    Thanks again for posting. I do hope we'' see more in the future.
    Thanks Saltiguy!! Your project would be a perfect thread to run beside this one!
    I am planning to live aboard sometime before I die

Looking forward to some Champlain pics.......

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Default Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

PaulT,outofthenorm,JimD and ChrisBen....thanks guys! I was first inclined to going with varnished wood but feared the interior would begin to look too much like a bachelors hunting lodge or fish shack. The only reason it ended up being white is because the primer is white hence I had a fore taste of how white would look. I agree it may be too bright on certain days but my girlfriend assures me that her curtains will deal with that
    I'll see if I cannot get her to go for another colour on the wainscotting, at least a cream......

Peter
    J.Lennon

The very end of the wainscotting game,the last forward most section on the port side shows all the styrofoam sealed and primed.The bottom right hand side of the photo shows primed battens .

Those same battens again from a different view(looking aft) along with the planks for the wainscotting all primed.

Freshly installed with a lick of paint........

Looking aft from the forward cockpit. I was some happy to be finally done with the the wainscotting as it required several little steps before it could just be installed. Tedious stuff for a fool intraining

At any rate, I trust you're also some happy that this stage is finished and expect some new/different pictures.Shouldn't be long now.

Peter
    J.Lennon

I'm astonished you can do all that in 2 weeks Peter, fastest dang build the wbf has ever seen. Must be something in the beer eh.

End view of my upper rubrail or sheer molding 1 3/4" X 2 3/4" x 24' African mahogany on bench beside boat after being planed to a nice radius on its outboard side.

Squint and you can see a sloppy scarf line OR don't squint and imagine a perfect scarf line a la Mr.Ledger .

One of those nasty pictures where only I can see the scarf glue line.(It runs from left to right,bottom to top)
    Sometimes these pictures, as much as I like them, remind me of proud parents always showing off pictures of their little bundle of joy.To some one else, the kid may look like a monkey but to the parents,he is Elvis.

Looking forward,port side,the upper rub rail or sheer molding after its' first day more or less in position. This molding took three days to install on both sides as there were precious few hard points to clamp to and the whole thing had to handle a compound curve.Hence the first day to get it close to the fit,day 2 to get it on and dry screwed and day three removal,epoxy and permanent installation.This was a handleful also working from the tops of step ladders

Crazy jig to hold it all together without wrecking it or breaking my neck. It all came out fine in the end!

Today was one of those days where I coulda used a few of these...45C in the bowshed!!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Couldn't you screw some temporary pieces on the outside of the cabin to clamp the rails to? Then fill in the screw holes. It's really a two man job, one bending and the other fastening down but where's a beer buddy when you need one? Then you've got to take them off again to put the bedding under the rails. At three days, alone, I'm not surprised. Is that Sapele you're using? Nice looking stuff, don't go scraping the side of the lock after you've varnished that up, eh? And that scarf that we weren't supposed to see...couldn't see it. Other one needs a bit of work though. Who's the Canadian-looking guy in the last picture and why is there so much beer left in his bottle? Is he a slow drinker?

not

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'm astonished you can do all that in 2 weeks Peter, fastest dang build the wbf has ever seen. Must be something in the beer eh.
    Just to be clear,I am so slow it has taken me about 2 weeks just to post a few dozen pictures,NOT to build the boat.Nobody can build that fast nor speed up the passing of the seasons
    You folks actually have beer down there??!!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Couldn't you screw some temporary pieces on the outside of the cabin to clamp the rails to? Then fill in the screw holes. Who's the Canadian-looking guy in the last picture and why is there so much beer left in his bottle? Is he a slow drinker?

not
    You know something Mr.Ledger, your solution just struck me right smack between the eyes as so obvious and simple! I cannot,for the life of me, understand why I did not think of that. Darnnit all to rabbit **** hell, it would have made the job far easier then it actually was.
    That Canadian-looking guy?? Oh...he's just yer regular fool in training,aka moi. He's not a slow drinker.It is generally thought to be a sign of bad manners,poor up-bringing or bad luck to raise a toast with an empty bottle

Peter
    J.Lennon

With lots of "projects" within projects on this boat,one never exactly runs out of things to do.Here we can see the starboard side bellow the floor of the head section where the holding tanks for the head and one for the shower will go.

Same area but looking aft.This entire area was first saturated with clear epoxy sealer followed by two thick coats of 2 part epoxy primer by Benjamin Moore....similar to interlux barrier coat.Also visible are the holes for the control conduits

I suppose you've been wondering,"what's he goin ta put above the wainscotting?" Well,we start by taking a pattern of the area in question with some home made pattern stock...scrap bits 1/4" X 2" of pine.

Then we take our pattern outside the boat,lay it on our panel of choice,trace carefully and cut.

The intended surface generously covered with thickened epoxy.Before doing this,however, the cut panel was offered up in a dry fit run for last minute trimming/corrections.You do not want to discover something wrong AFTER the panel has been layed in epoxy!

The panel in place and a number of temporary battens screwed into the window frames to ensure a good nice full contact fit.Because of the curvature of the hull/cabin side, the 8' panel naturally puts outward preasure onto the hull as it wants to straigthen itself out.As you can also see the 8' panel isn't long enough for a 9' salon.....

Peter
    J.Lennon

Here is a bit fun craziness fer ya,building the ice box

The aft seat of the dinette serves as the icebox/cooler.Seeing how I had loads of room, I decided to go with a full 6" of blue foam. The blue foam is 2" thick so this required many silly steps with bracing all over the place as each layer was bedded in a thickened mix of epoxy.

Front to back then side to side,swing your lumber like your bride.....heee! haaaa!

Once the first layer of foam was installed, I began to gradually use expansion foam to fill up the gaps.

The expansion foam would then have to be sanded down flush before proceeding with the next layer of blue foam.

Having all sorts of odd bits of wood laying around made it easy to find pads big enough to not deform the foam as it was pressed into the epoxy.

More to follow,

Peter
    J.Lennon

As you can see, all sorts of methods had to be used to keep preasure on the foam until the epoxy cured. Whatever it takes to get the job done

Peter
    J.Lennon

With the three layers of 2" blue styrofoam finally all set is place, what remains is a bit of sanding and the installation of a solid lining to protect the foam. I hope it keeps the ice well and my beer cold for more then a day

The two pictures above show the icebox cover I cut in two upon realizing that it would be handy not having to lift the entire cover each time access to the icebox was required. I figured a third of the whole cover would be plenty for a hand to reach in and grab what it wants.The icebox cover(which also doubles as the aft dinette seat) is built up from two 1/2" panels sandwiching the 2" foam and secured around the perimeter with a 2" X 1 1/2" frame stock all bedded and set in thickened epoxy.The zigzag section of the hatch matches the cutout opening in the icebox cover.It will be seated on two rubber gaskets. I'm guessing the cover is thick enough as cold sinks and heat rises.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Improvising weights again as the solid liner gets put in piece by piece...

the liner being oak veneer sealed in epoxy.

Just a crazy shot of my weights and a dry fit of the mahogany cap,in the background, for our old friend Mr.Wainscotting. Witness too the painting efforts from my interior decourator/ consultant/victim,aka; girlfriend .

Just for the fun of it, a couple of doom-n-gloom shots from inside the bowshed. This is how it looks during and after a snow fall.The first good wind day however generally blows it all off and things are brighter in the shed with all thoughts of slitting ones wrist or swinging from a rope magically vanished

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter,

Looking wonderful.

With all that insulation, I think your beer will stay cold for a good bit - unless you're planning on sailing to the gates of Hades and back. I hope you made several such receptacles, though. One seems a bit skimpy on the beer-stores side of things...

"Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it, you have the ability to enjoy it" -- Selma Hayak

All right, back from some time off with more icebox/cooler stuff

With the bottom of the icebox liner installed, this is how it looked once the bracing for the end pieces was removed.

Side view along with eery glow from un-natural lighting...or maybe it was just me who does not know how to operate the camera properly.

The fore and aft icebox liners epoxied and forced into place tighly with more 2X4s and wedges.

Next day,braces removed and 6X6 ceramic heater placed inside to give the works a little post-cure boost.

first stage fillets in place,waiting for the final big ones

Peter
    J.Lennon

Remember the icebox hatch that was cut? Well, here it is with the ends plugged with wood and pretty much resting in place to see how things fit.

The hatch in close postion. I'm glad I thought of putting the smaller door in before things moved much further along otherwise it would have been a real P.I.T.A. each time access was need to the icebox.

Another view of the beer chest...I mean ICEBOX...darnit!

The foam now entirely covered with liner material,aka,wood.

The liner material will have its edges radiused and the corner fillets expanded before the whole lot is glassed,primed and painted.Afterward, a nice gasket will be made unto which the entire settee bench will slide and sit upon.That is to say, the whole seat is meant to be removable for complete and thorough access to the icebox for 1)maintainence and 2) some future install of a cold plate refridgeration system

Peter
    J.Lennon

Every once in a while building can appear to be nothing more then an endless series of tasks going nowhere fast.With every little bit having to be scaled,wood scrounged,lines drawn,cuts made,dry fittings done,hours of sanding,epoxy mixed,screws driven,things faired and on into the forever unfolding future.And that is just a wee bit of the fun parts!

But, occassionally, there are wonderful moments when,like a child under a Christmas tree, gifts are unwrapped, senses taken for a treat and all is right in our universe.

Thus,one of the few things I do not have to build,made all the more special by virtue of it being the only one on the boat,for the head compartment! My times on the thunder box will be pure delight as I look up at such a glorious piece of work.

Ladies and Gentlemen,may it please you to meet my new friend Pebbles,the head port hole!

J.Lennon

Back to more fun stuff!

This is looking aft in the stateroom out towards the companionway.The bulkhead has been insulated as have the two hanging lockers(closets?) port and starboard.
    I don't think the flash worked on the camera for this shot.

Ahhh,this is better! Just bellow the companionway opening, the mahogany framing stock for the folding steps to come and for good solid stiffening of the motor well just on the other side of this bulkhead.Lower left is the corner of the double berth.The first step up for the companionway can also be seen and is one of the battery boxes designed to hold 6 batteries.

Close up of some expanding foam doing its' stuff in a corner.....

Another close up showing how the horizontal framing bits on the aft bulkhead are fitted into the vertical ones. A wonderful example of both my failed attempts at getting tight joints like Mr.Ledger and how epoxy saves my ass daily. Ain't it wonderful!

After making a pattern of the aft bulkhead wall to be paneled,the piece was cut and,miracle of miracles, it fit like a glove! Well....perhaps not like Masaratti leather driving gloves but lets say a snug mitten.This shot taken while standing in the galley area.

Just out of idle curiosity and with some concern for your viewing ease, would the photo captions be better placed bellow the photos or above the photos as seen in this post? Or, should I simply do away with captions all together and keep you guessing?

Peter
    J.Lennon

It's workin' just fine as is for me Peter. Keep em coming! BTW, Pebbles the Port is very pretty.

- Norm

Peter, we must never meet. I could, in no way, live up to your expectations.

BTW, I like the white painted wainscotting, maybe a little off-white to keep it easy on the eyes.

Jim

I sorta ran out of time and have not scanned and transfered more"interesting" photos, so I hope you do not mind viewing a few showing the last touches of expanding foam in the two hanging lockers(closets). Bolger is serious about this being a 4 season capable live-a-board . Just as a point of information, all surfaces behind the foam were completely saturated with slightly thickened epoxy. This is a fussy but important step to ensure against the odd chance that should moisture(water) ever get behind the foam, it will NOT ever get to the wood.

Petebr />

BTW, the expanding foam is tenacious sticky stuff and really expands like mad! Once cured, a hack saw blade easily trims off the excess foam leaving a reasonably fair surface for final sanding.
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 06-20-2008 at 12:47 AM.
    J.Lennon

In the same spirit of intent as Mr.Ledger cites over on his wonderfully promising "Lofting the Brewer catboat" thread; would this thread better serve if divided into subsequent sequences Ó la RodBs' Building Susan or is this meandering presentation of a boatbuilding project better kept whole and intact? Remember, we still have a fair way to go before launching and that can only mean many more pictures

I've often read here on other photo rich threads that folks with a slow internet connection do experience some frustrating difficulties waiting for multiple photos to load.

So, keep it whole or divide it up? Let me know,especially as I am not exactly being swamped with questions

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    In the same spirit of intent as Mr.Ledger cites over on his wonderfully promising "Lofting the Brewer catboat" thread; would this thread better serve if divided into subsequent sequences Ó la RodBs' Building Susan or is this meandering presentation of a boatbuilding project better kept whole and intact? Remember, we still have a fair way to go before launching and that can only mean many more pictures
    Peter, I think it's better to keep it all in one thread. It's easier than jumping around to different threads to make sure I haven't missed something

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    I've often read here on other photo rich threads that folks with a slow internet connection do experience some frustrating difficulties waiting for multiple photos to load.
    I have one of those old fashioned dial-up connections and while it does take some time for photo heavy threads to load, some are better than others. Once I've viewed a photo, the next time it loads a lot quicker, kind of like having a cookie for the pics. The newest pics I haven't viewed yet take longer. The size of the pics has something to do with this as well, your's are not so big so they load faster. It's when you get many pictures from different people/different hosting sites and different sizes that really take forever. Also some hosting sites work better than others, the Hooper Island Draketail thread for some reason takes forever to load for me even after I just looked at it recently and some of his photos only load half way. One way to get around this is to select "don't show pictures" in the user CP, then only the links appear and the page loads fairly quickly, then just click on each picture as you're reading along.
    Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying this. http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

So, keep it whole or divide it up? Let me know,especially as I am not exactly being swamped with questions

Peter[/quote]
    "Bundinn er bßtlaus ma­ur" Bound is boatless man.

Thanks ChrisBen! Alrighty,it is unanimous,one all together thread.

Above,looking down into the starboard hanging locker, with epoxy and clamps securing the flanges for an access panel into the battery compartment.

My trustly little ceramic heater keeping things warm in the battery compartment while the epoxy cures.

The access panel cut,fitted and primed white, in the open postion.

The access panel closed.These panels will all be seated on a gasket and fastened down with simple wing-nuts or similar.

The inside ceiling of the port hanging locker,which is also insulated with 2 inch foam, shown here with the 1/4" plywood being held in place with long screws and temporary pads.

Same treatment inside the starboard hanging locker.....the walls will be lined later with Western Red Cedar planks,1/4", to protect the foam and for nice clean looks.

Peter
    J.Lennon

More of the same tedious stuff being done to the starboard hanging locker regarding the battery box.

Outside the starboard hanging locker and the darned battery box stuff....again!

With all the battery box access panels done,cleats attached underneath them to recieve the screws from hinges.Also visible, the very bottom outside of the hanging locker finally foamed and the aft bulkhead panel,just visible upper left, set in epoxy and held down firmly with a series of simple battens and screws.

Oh! Oh! The ominous beginings of some tricky bits of wood working, the door frame for the hanging lockers. I remember reading somewhere that it is best to start with the corners.

The starboard hanging locker with its' corner bits installed.The frame for the locker is out of some bits of African mahogany with a 1/2" groove cut into the outside curve to sit nicely over or onto the 1/2" plywood from which the locker is assembled.

and the bottom of the starboard locker. You can just see the epoxy squeeze-out and the 1/4" deep groove in these corner bits.

More later.....perhaps tomorrow,time allowing.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Great stuff Peter.
    You're doing a beautiful bob.

Thanks again!
    Bill

Thanks Bill! It is a pleasure to share my project,as so many others here have done in the past, and I hope it inspires others who may be wondering"can I build a boat?". Besides, it is no accident that I am but "a fool in training"...if I can do it just about anybody can

So, we will carry on with getting those two hanging lockers properly framed;

Here we see the top horizontal frame bit held firmly in place,while the epoxy cures, by a simple device of a post and wedge.Clamps were out of the question.

and the other locker,with same clamping device......

and the bottom end of the horizontal frame bits installation.

The following day,with the epoxy now cured,the joined pieces are given a nice sanding.

The bottom section of the starboard hanging locker,with a bit more sanding left to do on the bottom door frame parts. Visible in the background is the small well just forward of the battery box and a small section of 1/4" veneer being held firmly in place while the epoxy cures.
    Although not visible in the photo,the last 12" of the foam actually tapers from a full 2" thick down to 1 1/2" to sit flush with the chine log which is but 1 1/2" wide.As the hanging lockers are going to be lined with Western Red Cedar from top to bottom, something had to be done to deal with this bevel as Cedar would have been tough to bend snugly over such a short distance....not to mention how tough it would have been to squeeze myself in through the door opening to get down there!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Starboard hanging locker with 2X4 braces holding the vertical bits firmly in place while the epoxy cures.

Close up shot of the same locker.

and the bottom half. Just to the left of the hanging locker, you may have noticed the foot of the double berth. Yes, it is a flipping mess, but this is only temporary as the interior of the boat,during the winter months, effectively becomes the work shop as the temps are maintained at a comfy 21C+ while in the bowshed proper temps rarely rise much above 12C and this only for a short time.

and the port side hanging locker getting the same 2X4 wedgy experience.

And finally,a sorta close up of the lower aft corner of the port side hanging locker door frame before final sanding.THANK TH POWERS THAT BE FOR EPOXY

Peter
    J.Lennon

Close up of corner seams of the door frame.Ain't epoxy great!

Looks even better from further back!

Looking down into the port side hanging locker,door frame almost completely sanded.The black wire leads down to my ever trusty ceramic heater doing its' stuff on the epoxy/panel installed over the foam on the lower outboard face of the locker.The top of which can be seen peeking out above the lower door frame.

Yet another view of a corner...........

Well, this will be the last photo of the hanging locker door frames for now. Can you tell I am impressed and pleased with how it all came out? I had hoped to achieve nearly invisible seams between the corner bits and the straight bits,like Mr.Ledger and other craftsmen, but was mighty consoled the day a friend dropped by,listened to my lamenting of the less-then-perfect-seams and brushed it all aside with a simple" ya but folks will notice that it is all handmade because of those seams and not a molded piece of plastric." ......O.K.....not entirely consoled by that facile observation but that all changed when he hauled a nice bottle of port out of his parka and two large tumblers......handmade indeed!....cheers friends!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Outstanding thread.

Being a newbie, I've already learned a thing or two.

Thanks!

Peter , a truly professional job !! Congratulations !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thank you gentlemen! Lucky is I who cannot be seen blushing from behind the screen!

Peter
    J.Lennon

O.K., I've think I've got the blushing under control now, so let's move on to the next batch of work; drawer trim

Here is a nice nervous Nelly photo of how I opted to trim the outside faces of my drawers,all eight of them. The draws are all out of 1/2" MDO plywood,held together with epoxy in the rabbets.The trim moldings mahogany.

The bottom panel for the draws,is 1/4" oak veneer,set into a nice slot with epoxy.

Those little spring clamps helped to hold the works together but the set-up really needed some temporary screws,driven from inside the drawer,to stop the trim from a slippin'-n-a slidin' all over the place while the epoxy cured.

No glues or screws here yet, just a dry fit set-up to see how the whole thing would look. If you look at the lower left hand side of the picture, you can just make out a drawer without the trim pieces. So that is why the trim pieces are needed! To fill the generous gap and,of course,for that forever-sought-after,"yachty" look!

Same shot,different angle, and a peek at a not yet"perfect" miter cut.I tried really hard not to think too hard about the 64 blasted 45s I would have to cut"perfectly" for all the drawers. Oh how I would have given my left nut for a real miter box and saw kit! But poverty does have its' rewards,namely, the nuanced pleasure of learning how to use a tri-square and jig saw

Peter
    J.Lennon

Nifty radiused door mouldings, P.L..

I've been enjoying this fast forward build sequence. A bit mystified by the first pictures of all those vertical panels, but I'm starting to see what you're on about now.

So the real stuff begins.I had determined that the screws alone would help fix the trim pieces in place and that real clamps would be needed to properly hold the works firmly and flatly in place. The trim moldings had taken on a very very slight twist due to temperature fluctuations in my "shop".

And anudder one getting the clamps put to it.A good close look will also reveal the faying surface of the MDO has been lighty abraded to allow a better wicking surface for the thickened epoxy.
    Most of these pictures show my"shop" aka master stateroom.The yellow legs in the above photo are the stand for the twin halogen work lamps.Yes there is a veritable mess happening all over the berth and no shortage of saw dust and cut-offs sprinkeled about. I always get a good chuckle when on other threads,folks show photos of their work shops and the hounds all yelp at either the presence or absence of saw dust. I just sit back in my chair,stunned silly by the wonderful collection of stationary wood working tools, great lighting and lots of space! The stuff of dreams I tells ya!

Chaos reigns! The masters' berth crowded with drawers,,so crowded had to set some on their side while running out of clamps!

The lucky linen drawer,being twice as wide as the rest of the drawers,gets its' own special assembly space;the forward dinette seat in the main salon.Visible here also is the mahogany cap for the wainscotting in the background and, atop the drawer, my ultra-specialized,scientifically graduated yogurt cup, aka,epoxy mixing cup for small batches.

And to think that while I was having so much fun inside the boat playing cabinet maker my poor bowshed was putting up with this stuff outside.Oh the shame of it! For those unfortunate folks who have spent their entire lives living in the forever-warm-n-sunny tropical regions, that is not white sand

Peter
    J.Lennon