Page 2 of 265 FirstFirst 1231252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Just fore the fun of it:)

Smile Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

One more shot, from foreward looking aft. Although perhaps hard to see here,the sheer and crown formed sweet lines that I spent hours marvelling over......and a few beer just to mellow the excitement!

This part was a real thrill! Had to lift up six 4X8 panels,athwartship,up on to the roof,then go inside the cabin and lift/slide/push them all the way back aft,one after another,until they were all in place. Then come out side and trace the perimeter profile onto the plywood.And just when you begin thinking it can't get better then this, you have to lower them all back down to the ground,cut to the outside of the traced lines and hoist the lot back up in place! Hours and hours of fun, I tells ya!

Thanks to my years spent in play grounds as a young child, I was adept at the monkey bars and spending hours with my arms raised over my head thus lifting the panels around was...well....childs play

Once things were all in place and epoxied/screwed into the sheer clamps(carlins) things felt almost anti-climatic, although the sight of this boat taking shape never failed to impress me or my drinking buddys.

Having to walk up two "flights" of stairs to gain access to the roof also reminded me, daily, that this was no 6 hour canoe!

More to follow...promise!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Looking aft at the roof, the furthest aft panel not yet installed due to some work to be done aft building deck boxes. You also can just make out the small piece of mahogany on top of the bulkhead onto which the deck/roof crown was dialed in,thus illustrating I did indeed start with good intentions to strictly stick to the plans dead flat roof, before changing my mind.

And here is one of the recessed deck boxes,port side aft,which held up the roofing job.The designer originally specified these to contain the propane tanks for the stove and heater but I dreaded the thought of such long pipe runs for the propane and changed the deck boxes vocation over to one cooler for beer and one for deck"stuff" like work gloves and the like for working the boat through locks etc...

Perimeter faming stock from dressed 2 X 6 pine,ship lapped and cut to the outside profile and epoxied/srewed to the inner roof structure. What? I forgot to mention that this is a fully insulated 4 season cruiser with a full 2 inches of foam everywhere? Sorry about that

The two inner fore-n-aft framing parts, dressed 2 X 8 pine and 24' feet long scarfed,waiting to be hauled up onto the roof.

If you squint really well,right near where the white rope is, you may just make out a couple of 12:1 scarfs.....or maybe not,but they are there,trust me!

I'll try to get a few more pictures in before work calls........

Peter
    J.Lennon

Half way through the task of raising one of the inner framing bits onto the roof,parbuckling I think it is called.

Looking aft, with 4 litre water jugs helping to hold them down.

Looking forward, with a piece of 2 inch blue styrofoam,just for effect.

The roofing game,coming along nicely, with most of the parts epoxied in place with screws driven in from bellow to get things nice and snug.Blue styrofoam to go into the empty spaces.

Another one of those crazy pictures,from forward looking aft, the sheer keeps my eyes in a constant state of marvel. I feel priviledged to be so easily amused!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Looking up at the front of the boat with a nice little cap on her!

Sunvisor viewed from the side.

Rear companionway viewed from ground level and little peek at starboard hanging closet.

Peering into the aft stateroom....amazed at the enclosed volume.

I am equally amazed when I look through the front door

Peter
    J.Lennon

The first of the styrofoam blanks,up forward, bedded in a nice thick mix of epoxy and temporarily held down with several 4 litre jugs of water.

Same view from another perspective with skylight opening just visible at bottom of photo.

O.K., just one more look. I can't help it, I was excited by this new building stage of the game

Looking forward,first panel already installed,next section of foam,installed and the second panel ready to be slid into place with lots of water-filled jugs waiting to do their stuff.

Peeking up from the skylight for a low angle shot before next panel goes on.Temporary drywall screws pre-set in panel for no-panic-party driving.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Looking aft into the second panel before installation and the stuff on the aft end of roof used for the install.

Saw used to clean up(out) the seam between panels leaving a nice even slot to fill with epoxy for a darned near perfect water-tight seam.

Alright,we jump ahead a bit and are now near the end of the game close to the aft companionway.Patterns for each space are sitting in place and I am about to begin fairing the frames down into a fair curve for the crown.I don't know how that Tim Hortens coffee cup got in the picture,I coulda sworn I was drinking only cold beer by this stage,trying to calm my excitement.

Near the top of the picture, there lies my fairing batten with several water jugs sitting atop it.Being a solo builder, I needed to be able to hold down one end while pressing the opposite end down for sighting/fairing purposes. Jack,Block and Strap took care of the actually fairing

Just about done with Jack,Block and Strap(thank God!,it was hot up there!) Ready to take the patterns down to cut more foam. Oh, I just noticed that evil coffee cup again.....it wasn't mine.....I swear yer Honour!

Peter
    J.Lennon

First ya takes yer pattern and you lays her onto the blue styrofoam.Then ya takes a felt marker and ya traces out the shape.

Afterwards, ya takes yer hack-saw blade with yer bare hands and ya cuts the foam right to the line trying to stay nice and straight like.Don't be too worried if it ain't perfect.Yer little sanding block will help smooth things up nicely.

Once yer foam is all safely epoxied in place, Mr.Strap(sanding board with a strap of sandpaper glued on) will make it a breeze to knock the corners off the foam and keep things all nice-n-fair for the epoxy and that nice pre-screwed panel we can see in the background just itching to get well screwed.

And here is that panel, the following day, with all the screws now removed(they were only temporary and drywall to boot) and the empty screw holes filled with epoxy and plunged with tooth picks too ensure no wee little entrapped air(pocket) bubble at the bottom of the screw hole. I know what ya'll must be thinking at this stage about me sanity,but I gots me a theory about them thar little air pockets and it's a doozy!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Just for informations sake, before the blue styrofoam would be set in place, each space would be well slathered with a thickened epoxy mix.Once the foam was layed down, and the epoxy cured(the following day) I would sand the foam fair and drizzle clear epoxy around the perimeter into the little opening,if any,between wood and foam.

For the top panel installs, an equally robust thickened epoxy blend would be spread to properly recieve our happily pre-screwed Lady Of The Roof Panels.This was how the entire roof was done from start to finish, and the only way I can sleep at night.
    Note the rectangular opening in roof top to the left,with the blue foam....yup... you guessed right, the Fountain of Youth,aka roof top beer cooler, for quicker,safer, beer dispensing to the aft deck crew

Looking forward into the salon, with sub-floors removed and all bottom surfaces completely saturated with epoxy sealer( Not CPES) but Industrial Formulators of Canada S-1 Epoxy sealer. Dinette and centerboard box to the right.

The 857th happiest day of my life......the window openings all cut and framed out from inside. I still get a wee bit giddy even today just thinking about it! Call me really really nuts!

Hope you're still enjoying this as much as I and remember, if you are not completely satisfied, just write to JimD, it is all his fault

Peter
    J.Lennon

Default Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

Keep em coming Peter. This is outstanding. Is it too early for a beer?

- Norm

Looking aft on port side: With the outline of where the rubrails go all sanded, they are ready for epoxy and the rubrails.One can be seen here waiting to go on. These were something of a handfull at 2" X 3" X 32'. A folding step ladder went a long way as a second pair of hands to hold up the other end.

Looking aft of starboard side: the rubrails all installed with epoxy and screws on 12" centers,staggered . On the right side of the picture can be seen the inner poly liner roled up a bit to allow installation of a spar bench for the scarfing and laminating of the rubrails etc....

View from ahead and thanks to c-clamps.Where would we be without them! Also visible,at the chine,a 4 inch strip of the hull has been sanded down about a 1/16"+ so that once I lay on the fiberglass tape it will sit flush with the hull sides and not create a raised ridge.

Sorry about the grainy and dark pictures but it was getting late in the day(a late autumn day) and my little portable was just barely up to the task!

All the windows and entrances have been sealed up for the winter with some clear poly to hold the heat in.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by outofthenorm View Post
    Keep em coming Peter. This is outstanding. Is it too early for a beer?

- Norm
    Thanks Norm! I'm just about through with the first box of pictures and will soon begin mining the next one. Hopefully they will be just as entertaining.

Oh,about the beer, you're kidding right? Here in la belle province, I've yet to hear a soul suggest it ever being too early for beer......my heaven on earth this crazy place.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, this is such a cool thread. Can you post a line drawings of the plans, please? Even if you have to take a photograph of the plans laid out on the floor or whatever which works reasonalbly well.

Peter, one question, if you don't mind.

At what temperature does Molsons get that nice bit of slush floating on top, just this side of a solid skim? In Farenheit, if you don't mind.

Talking Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Peter, one question, if you don't mind.

At what temperature does Molsons get that nice bit of slush floating on top, just this side of a solid skim? In Farenheit, if you don't mind.
    That,Mr Ledger, is a tough question to answer with any degree of honesty..or is it accuracy?.... since the darned stuff never seems to sit still long enough for even the slightest of crystals to form,much less become slush.
    However, it would be a pleasure to offer my services to you as chief guzzelologist to attempt a series of experiments in this most noble venture and report back with some hard numbers.
    I trust you to understand that this must,perforce, be a serious experiment and longitudinal in nature to be of any real value to both yourself and other connoisseurs of hop juice.Also,as you do not specify which Molson product exactly in your query,I am left no choice but to utilize their entire product line up.With the predicted summer heat just around the corner, this will be no easy task ,but I sincerely believe that I am up to the challenge based soley on my previous years performance.
    Like an Olympic athelete,I will begin preparing the first experiment tomorrow and hope to reach peak blood/alcohol levels somewhere near or on the last day of July, as a steady stream of soldiers are lined up,caps twisted off, subject brought to palate and temperatures taken.This barrage of brewskis will,of course,be successively cooled to ever colder temperatures until perfection is attained along with an answer to your question.

Your patience during the course of this experiment will be much appreciated.

your servant,

Peter,chief guzzelologist, beer afficiando,and all around fool in training.
    J.Lennon

quote=JimD;1857034]Peter, this is such a cool thread. Can you post a line drawings of the plans, please? Even if you have to take a photograph of the plans laid out on the floor or whatever which works reasonalbly well.[/quote]

JimD, ckeck out these wonderful isometrics!! They were made by Mr.Bruce Hallman,over on the Bolger Group, and are amazing as he does not have the plans for the boat but just about nailed this one right on the nose!!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I'll let Mr.Hallmans' beautiful isometric renderings speak for themselves.

Peter
    J.Lennon

How big is the motor and why is the anchor hanging from a boom?

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    How big is the motor and why is the anchor hanging from a boom?
    The designer calls for a 4-stroke 50hp with the bigfoot option.The thinking behind this choice is:
    1) It is more power then the boat really needs hence it will operate mostly in the lower rpm range thus sipping gas and ensuring longer engine life.
    2)The extra horses may prove very useful,on certain days,where I boat(the St.Lawrence River) and where some stretches can have a several knot current and strong winds.
    3)This engine comes with a nice sized alternator(generator?) which will be useful for keeping up with the 12 batterries called for in the design.
    4) With the bigfoot option,the prop. is 14 X 30 and when thrown into reverse will allow for authorative stopping of a boat weighing near 4 tons.Handy when going through some of the locks up here

As for the anchor;it will usually be stored on board.The crane/boom is for making it less of a strain on my ailing back when either retrieving or launching the anchor while trying desperately to keep it away from damaging the sides at the end of a retrieval or when preparing to heave it.......it weighs 35lbs.

Thanks for your kind words JimD and the training course in posting pictures

Peter
    J.Lennon

With the inside framing installed(2" X 1 1/2" pine), time for more 2" blue styrofoam insulation.The areas to be insulated were given a quick lick of the sanding grinder.............

then lathered up with thickened epoxy using a 3/16" X 3/16" trowel.The foam panel can be seen to the right ready for installation using some plywood pads to keep the screws from driving clean through the foam....

The screws were 4 inch wood screws driven right into the hull/cabin side and torqued down well to ensure the foam was bedded.As this was all interior stuff,and on the vertical, I bothered less about getting a close fit as it would have been impossible to dribble clear epoxy into the gap. So, I intentionally left about a half inch gap all around the foam.....

and worried little about the actual fit. Expanding foam was then used to properly fill the offending gaps up good and tight.... (The above pictures show the starboard side of the master stateroom)

and left to squeeze out every where like here,the dresser across from the berth in the stateroom.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Upon seeing a few of Mr.Ledgers' wonderfully clear picture project diarys about interior furniture installs, I figured I would try my hand at making drawers for under the berth.These are my first two( of seven),sitting atop the berth.Half inch rabbeted walls with a quarter inch oak panel fitted into a wide saw kerf for the bottom of the drawer. Having only portable tools( and a few hand tools) at my disposal, they came out looking not too bad! Mind you, there is a good reason these shots are not of the crystal-clear-close-ups we have grown accustomed to from Mr.Ledger....oh Lordy thank you for epoxy!

Looking toward the forward port side(salon) where the insulation job continues.........

Not sure why I took this one, but it shows another bit of framing stock running fore-n-aft,just bellow the windows on the salon port side.

Starboard,looking aft...and yes...more insulation work. The paint cans are sitting on the aft bench of the dinette under which is a huge icebox(cooler).

The installation of all the 2 x 1 1/2" pine framing was tedious stuff as it was all set in epoxy but with screws driven from the OUTSIDE to draw them in tight until the epoxy cured. The screws were later all removed and holes properly sealed with epoxy using my as yet patented PetersEpoxyPlungerProcess or PEPP amongst friends( see roof details way above)

Hope these pictures are still informative,useful,inspirational but most of all, entertaining, to those viewing them

More to come in the days ahead!

Peter
    J.Lennon

The icebox/cooler cover and door getting insulated with some 2" blue styrofoam too..........the icebox will have 6" of foam to keep the ice as long as possible and the beer really cool....as long as possible

A better outside picture of the rubrail in place.African mahogany 2X3 and tapered at either end.One more layer to go on atop this piece.

Another clear shot of the chine area which will first get a layer of fiberglass tape before the hull sides get glassed.

View of forward cabin with poly on as yet un-glassed roof...just in case
    condensation occurs despite the double lining on the bowshed.Call it a belt-n-suspenders approach.
    Also clearly visible are my el-cheapo "themopane" windows made from 2X3 stock and double wrapped with poly film. Really helps keep the heat in during the winter months.

Unfortunately, I do not have any side views of the boat so far as I can not get far enough away because of the bowshed. So dear viewer,bear with me through these types of shots and rest assured that not even I have seen my own boat from the whole side....just sections at a time

Peter
    J.Lennon

As y'all can see, it's a floating Gin Joint. And a beautifully done one at that. Look at all that interior space. Comfy... even luxurious. Not that Mr. L would serve Gin, of course - unless he was trying to save the Porto for himself

Peter, you're an ongoing inspiration.

"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about" -- Charles Kingsley

Gin you say....what the hell,twist my rubber arm an' I might just give it a try
    You are too kind with your compliments David G. and having just come back from a lovely late afternoon sail and lobster festival on a friends boat,well served with litres of the good stuff,aka PORT, I forgot to bring more pictures from home to post. Tomorrow,hopefully,will see a fresh string of pictures for your continued entertainment. Hope this thread doesn't sink outa sight before then

Hope everyone else is enjoying them too!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, I'm confused. In the matter of icebox insulation, I would have thought that, in Canada, less insulation would make a more efficient icebox. You seem to be putting in more. Are you planning to cruise down to the Caribean at some point, perhaps, eh?

Mr.Ledger,

I do have,in the far away distant future, a plan to do the Great Circle cruise(Great Lakes to Chicago,then down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico,followed by a trip around the tip of Florida,then up the East Coast to New york,then up the Hudson,Lake Champlain,Richelieu River then a sharp left turn at Sorel and back home). The insulation will come in handy toward ice longevity.
    Up here, it will keep liquids from freezing rock solid in our arctic winters and allow ice to last a week in summer keeping beer cold

It hit a toasty 43C (109F)in my bowshed today....COLD beer is not a luxury

Keep a good thought!

Peter
    J.Lennon

All righty then, more pictures and sorry for yesterdays' delay. Here we can see the aft stateroom being used as a cozy work shop with the whole sub-floor assembly of the forward raised helm-station floor,as viewed from underneath, with access door openings cut and the first coat of a 2 part epoxy primer coat. Behind it, one can also see the holes left over from the insulation screw down session oozing out expanding foam which was used to seal them up good!

After giving the helm-station floor a dry run, I found it flexed a bit under my weight and so had to lift it out and add a couple of mahogany stiffeners underneath it. Insulation in background has all been given a nice sanding.

Second and final coat of 2 part epoxy primer applied to underside of helm-station floor......ready for permanent installation.

The berth top now being used for the long and tedious process of priming the backsides of the home made wainscotting destined for the interior. I like the look and it covers and protects the foam insulation from nervous,figgity fingers.

The area to be wainscotted was then given two thick coats of high build alkyd primer, just for the fun of it

Peter
    J.Lennon

Oooopsy! It looks like I've got a few pictures out of order/sequence This shows the wainscotting being dry fitted PRIOR to sealing the insulation and with the wainscotting with but one coat of primer on its back side.

Fully assembled and ready to be removed for the final coat of primer on the backside of the wainscotting and the two thick coats on the insulation, as noted in previous posting.

Across from the double berth,over the dresser, more wainscotting given a dry fit to make sure it all fits.

Berth side wainscotting now completely and permanently installed and given its' first coat of high build alkyd primer.

The wainscotting was made from ripping,then splitting a nice big 3" X 10" X 14' piece of reasonably clear pine. Once I had my finished 5/8" thick X 2 3/8" wide wainscotting boards ready, a nice kerf was run along their edges and the outside edges planed to a nice bevel. With odd remaing bits, 1/8th" X 3/4" battens to fit snuggly into the saw kerfs were ripped out. This was a fun process and allowed me to have some NICE wainscotting compared to the ready-to-install-crap sold in shrink wrapped plastic,full of knots and a mere 3/8th" thick found in most big box hardware joints and lumber yards..........at least up around this neck of the woods.

More fun pictures to follow

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, I was just looking at the isometric and plan and was wondering about the vent stacks in the stern. What is their purpose? They look a bit vulnerable and might get in the way of dock lines, sticking up in the corners like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Peter, I was just looking at the isometric and plan and was wondering about the vent stacks in the stern. What is their purpose? They look a bit vulnerable and might get in the way of dock lines, sticking up in the corners like that.
    Hi Mr.Ledger,

The "vent stacks" are 3" schedule 40 galvanized pipe and are intended to draw air down into the fuel tank compartments for ventilation purposes. They pass through the aft deck and actually extend a few feet bellow deck level ,secured by big corner brackets/bushings.Very ridged.They will also serve as the hard points for the two cables supporting a fold down aft deck extension;imagine,if you will, a draw bridge. This will effectively extend the working aft deck of 3' X 7'aprox. to 6' X 7'aprox.. A patio of sorts and a grand idea for outside lounging under a parasol.....also the reason for my roof top aft cooler

Folded up, it serves as a handy solid life rail.

Thanks for your interest. It is good to know at least someone is checking in

Petebr />
    P.S. Kindly keep in mind the wonderful isometrics provided by Mr.Hallman were accomplished without detailed plans and thus show things just a wee bit different then the actual plans/boat.
    J.Lennon

Moving up front into the salon,one can see the wainscotting moving along smartly,as it were, along with the dinette location,centerboard case and helm station with cut-outs for access doors later.

Looking aft from forward doorway,dinette seat with paint cans on top is the icebox cover seen earlier.A good squint may reveal the icebox hatch cover too. And yes, more of that lovely not-yet-painted wainscotting.

Peaking under the helm station(dashboard?) one sees more insulation,even inside the dashboard,along with the raised floor, spoken about earlier, with cutout lift panels in place.For those with good eyes,you might have noticed three holes through the floor that match up with the three holes in the bottom of the dashboard. This is where the conduits containing;engine control lines,steering control lines and electrical lines will enter the dashboard to be hooked up with throttle,wheel and breaker panel/control board.

Port side,looking forward...........more wainscotting. I'm just a wainscotting fool

A view looking forward from galley area;starboard and dead forward wainscotting all painted,port side waiting for same treatment and collection of wainscotting cut-offs laying in the footwell of the dinette.

While I recognize that it may just be a little too late now to change things, I would be curious to know whether you viewers would have prefered the wainscotting left bare(or varnished) or if the white is the better choice. It won't hurt my feelings if bare turns out as the favorite.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, I'm in awe!
    That roof structure you built is a masterpiece. One thing for sure, if there are meteor showers, you'll be safe.
    Per your suggestion, I should start taking some photos of my project. You've given me lots of inspiration for sure.
    One impression I got from your photos is that the boat has loads of elbow room and huge storage. Are you planning to live aboard?
    Thanks again for posting. I do hope we'' see more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post

While I recognize that it may just be a little too late now to change things, I would be curious to know whether you viewers would have prefered the wainscotting left bare(or varnished) or if the white is the better choice. It won't hurt my feelings if bare turns out as the favorite.

Peter
    My vote is for the painted wainscotting. It will make it very bright inside. The project is amazing. Hard to imagine an undertaking like that. It looks fantastic!

Paul T

I vote for white - clean, bright and much less busy looking that otherwise. Ver' nice.

- Norm

The wainscot looks great but it's too white imho. We had white wainscot in one of our rooms in our house, painted it a soft, warm, earthy green and it looks much better now and goes great with the hardwood floor and also a cork floor in another room. Gives the room a little depth of colour without making it look dark or smaller.
    Last edited by JimD; 06-09-2008 at 03:04 PM.

I'd personally prefer varnish but there's so much of it there that the maintenance would be crazy. You have enough windows there to get plenty of light so maybe a slightly darker than white paint would be best.
    "Bundinn er bßtlaus ma­ur" Bound is boatless man.