Page 152 of 265 FirstFirst ... 52102142151152153162202252 ... LastLast
Results 5,286 to 5,320 of 9255

Thread: Just fore the fun of it:)

Default Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Please don't think me pedantic or anything but I think you mean American or Imperial. Apart from that I am with you on the rest of the post.
    I know for a fact groinicles are measured in metric pounds, at least mine was.
    Last edited by Ryden; 11-22-2011 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    Well, I gave it some thought, chased it around my head a short while and went back to read the forum "rules". Conclusion? I'll have to skip showing you the " live white oak " one of the yard crew was showing us.Fortunately, thanks to the benevolence of Dear Ryden with his incredible abilities to "see" through time and space, the photo he so generously provided resembles,after a fashion, what the crew was "holding" and how he was "holding" it.
    Being the gentleman that he his, I can understand Peter's reticence about posting the picture.
    Being the uncouth psycotic, ehr... psycic I am, I have no such scrouples about posting a mental image of the acorn-on-a-stick.

Here it is in a 1:1 scale.

It is very strange Peter, but whenever I don my LPBC I'm frequently plagued by visions of you hiding from Nat with a beer.
    Sometimes your alone, sometimes there's a beer bandit with you and on one memorable occation, a nude women's hockey team.
    After that I took to wearing the cap in bed but they never returned...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryden View Post
    I know for a fact groinicles are wheighted in metric pounds, at least mine was.

Lucky bugger......mine only came in at metric ounces. I just made sure Nat understood ounces is always spelled and pronounced as T O N S

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    ...to lose the will to live...the wind chill must have been -4 c!
    -4 C Gary? We don't even haul out the mittens much above -10 C and that is without a wind chill factor. But then again, we also ensure our anti-freeze levels are checked and maintained on a regular basis

I've never lived in any place where vegetation remains green and visible thoughout the year. Must be worse than Hell......

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
    What?!?!? What the......????? Alright Peter...You cannot be serious!!!! The name on the boat in stick-on lettering?!?!? Really? You spend, according to the considered guesses of the panel, something close to 1.65 gazillion dollars (american) building the boat, something in excess of "a G" on window treatments, a new motor, 1204 pounds (not sure if that's american or metric) of lead..... and you put stick-on lettering on her rump? no, No, NO!!!!! Sacre' bleu! (that's it for my French) You put that beer down and pick up a phone and call a proper sign painter and give that boat a proper name HAND PAINTED on her rump! (er....stern) Gold Leaf and all!!! The full monty as it were. (um...perhaps,,,, don't take that last part literally)

PaulT
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinwall View Post
    I also noticed that i hope you rectify that over the winter months with a nice hand carved timber name plate
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I saw it too but wasn't going to be the first to say anything. I think our hero will let us in on his plan to have a proper name either painted or carved and he's waiting on the work to be completed and needed something there in the mean time. Right Tenner?
    Quote Originally Posted by essaunders View Post
    I figured he was waiting for a selection of carved name boards to show up by post before spring.... The picture is the template for content and size and he's got a fairly enthusiastic audience, some of whom may have a talent with carving.

Nuttin' ,and I mean absolutely nuttin', ever gets an easy pass around here, no matter how hard I try. Gentlemen, I thank you all for keeping me on my toes!

But here is the tale: With Nat pushing...I mean.... whipping and beating me hard with oiled leathers to get the boat launched before winter, some items dropped several notches down on the pre-launch priority list. The nameboard was one of them. However, the club where the boat was at insists that all the boats have their name somewhere on the boat,for some long winded crazy reason. Being a chap always ready to please,I complied via the simple expedient spotted here.

So PaulT,quit yer foreign language swearing and precise converting of weights and figures, crack open your favorite medicine bottle and rediscover your resting pulse rate and tranquil happy self again. Justice will be done over the winter months.

flyinwall, thank you for not making a fuss about it and trusting the cold of winter to bring remedy to those disgraceful stick-ons.I'll crack a cold one and salute your fine wisdom.

Sailor, how can one of Canada's finest shy away from being the first to declare something amiss? The mind boggles,particularly when the rest of your post is rather smack on the money. I don't have to tell you about cracking medicine bottles,so I won't. Instead,I'll just sit back and silently hope that you do, as will I.

essaunders, I want whatever medicine you're taking! What a wild notion and beautiful dream to entertain, this business of name boards jamming up my mailbox!

But seriously, I've already mailed off my letter to Santa asking for the late Jay Hanna's book,The Woodcarvers Handbook and hope this will help guide me through the fun of doing a name board destined to be hung across the rear end of the aft deck platform. I just hope Santa doesn't pull one of his naughty or nice drills on me!!!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

-4 C Gary? We don't even haul out the mittens much above -10 C and that is without a wind chill factor. But then again, we also ensure our anti-freeze levels are checked and maintained on a regular basis

I've never lived in any place where vegetation remains green and visible thoughout the year. Must be worse than Hell......

Cheers!

Peter
    It is! We have have to mow the lawn every 10 days or we can't find the house.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryden View Post
    It is very strange Peter, but whenever I don my LPBC I'm frequently plagued by visions of you hiding from Nat with a beer.
    Sometimes your alone, sometimes there's a beer bandit with you and on one memorable occation, a nude women's hockey team.
    After that I took to wearing the cap in bed but they never returned...

Dear Ryden,

You're either wearing it too tight or stroking it too hard. Tough call from here but it's the best I can do. Good Luck!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Every 10 days? PSHAWWW, I mow every 5 when it's summer here but like Tenner, it gets cold and the grass goes dormant for the winter. I should have mowed it once more about a month ago but didn't bother. I'll leave it for now. I wish I could go 10 days without mowing it..... So not only to we mow the same number of times per year (assuming I mow twice as often for half the time) but we manly men of the north shovel snow all winter as well.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I assume that I will be educated here shortly, but putting a relatively flat bottomed boat into angled bunks doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Seems like you are inviting it to slip to one side or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by orbb View Post
    I assume that I will be educated here shortly, but putting a relatively flat bottomed boat into angled bunks doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Seems like you are inviting it to slip to one side or the other.
    i think you will find that those angled bunks do actually tilt and adjust to fit the shape of the hull so there is less likelyhood of things getting damaged

UOTE=Sailor;3207053]we manly men of the north shovel snow all winter as well.[/QUOTE] Ah yes,it is all true what Sailor says Gary!

And as if that wasn't enough to tighten things up a bit below,when the going gets really tough, we get on the blower and call in the big boys

Of course, while they work moving untold metric pounds of snow, real men then seek comfort and joy with one of our national treasures......

Cuddly beaver! But please, do not feel sorry for us or send cards of condolences, for we are men and men with a mission,to save trees everywhere for future boat builders.Thus, our appetite the little critters!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by orbb View Post

A most reasonable concern orbb and a fear shared with Nat also, as she looked on the proceedings. But there is hope!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

i think you will find that those angled bunks do actually tilt and adjust to fit the shape of the hull so there is less likelyhood of things getting damaged

Speaking of hope, and just in time too! Indeed, here comes the voice of calm and steady wisdom, unfettered by the unseen, who bothers not with speculation and wishful thinking. Instead,once again, flyinwall sooths our furrowed brow and whispers truth. He would probably enjoy beavers too,if they existed in his native land but dems da breaks and we are on the verge of going off track yet again...

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

you talk of beavers and their wood destroying ability.... i also have the wood destroying ability as i work in a saw mill cutting hoop pine and i am always sending wood down the waste chute to the chipper to turn it into wood chip
    and as for me enjoying beavers ...well........... ill leave which kind of beaver i enjoy to your imagination

oh and peter what are you doing up at this ungodly hour it is 2:12am fer christ sakes (i am up cause i not long ago finished work....bloody nightshift)

it is 2:12am fer christ sakes
    No it's not, it is 11:32 AM, on a bright and sunny -5C Tuesday morning. There is only one type of beaver that is actually edible,ya know......just ask Sailor

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

No it's not, it is 11:32 AM, on a bright and sunny -5C Tuesday morning. There is only one type of beaver that is actually edible,ya know......just ask Sailor
    Would that be this type of beaver perchance?

You didn't expect a hairy ass'd ole' sailor to miss out on a good beaver thread did ya?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

Ah yes, hairless beaver, tastes almost like chicken unless you make the common mistake of smothering it with port,a SBD and taking it the theater.I have more plebeian tastes however and prefer the traditional beaver, as enjoyed by the legendary coureur de bois of yore, and whose ancestors still reside in these parts.Nothing like a bit of home cookin' to get you goin' in the marnin',laddy!

Now, git back ta work

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

That's not the kind of beaver I prefer to eat.My preference is of the two legged variety with just the right amount of waxing.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

WHat's this about beavers destroying wood?

I thought those types of beavers CREATED wood...
    Now is a good time!

Steward of MAKOTO [WB Magazine #232], and Honored Member of the LPBC

Quote Originally Posted by Cogeniac View Post
    WHat's this about beavers destroying wood?

I thought those types of beavers CREATED wood...
    The two legged kind can go either way.It depends on the previous wood and if it was diseased.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Oh my what have i created.........

I am not sure about the beavers, but Canada would be a very tough place to be a baby seal:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...jean-seal.html

It wasnt a baby. Just another animal hunted for food. Not sport.
    Freudian slips : when you say one thing but mean your mother.

To nourish our inner beast:

http://whitebearsblog.blogspot.com/2...l-recipes.html

Bon appetite!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I rarely hunt.When I do,it's for food,not for sport.I find no satisfaction in killing animals.I do however,find satisfaction in feeding my family.

Enough of my thread jacking.

Peter,can't wait for the next installment of Turtle Bay winter layup.

Ask me? Ask me what? Are we back to the ol' "CH" again?
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Every 10 days? PSHAWWW, I mow every 5 when it's summer here but like Tenner, it gets cold and the grass goes dormant for the winter. I should have mowed it once more about a month ago but didn't bother. I'll leave it for now. I wish I could go 10 days without mowing it..... So not only to we mow the same number of times per year (assuming I mow twice as often for half the time) but we manly men of the north shovel snow all winter as well.
    Keep in mind my house is two stories high.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Happy thanksgiving. May it be full of love, friends and good wood...oops, food...
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

When is Canadian Thanksgiving?

Ils disent que la chatte a le got d'anchois.

Je ne sais pas, je n'ai jamais got d'anchois...

True story:
    My brother in law is from England and has the surname Beaver.
    His brother has two boys who are called Callum, which is fine, and Sean...
    Last edited by Ryden; 11-25-2011 at 07:03 AM.

so do we get to see more of her packed away for the winter months????

I certainly hope so!
    Oh, your talking about the boat...

How are you going to lodge Turtle Bay over the winter now that the bowshed is gone? She's just born and needs to be pampered.
    Maybe a new one in a fashionable colour.
    I hear that blue is the new black

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    When is Canadian Thanksgiving?
    Thanksgiving Day in Canada has been a holiday on the second Monday of October since 1957
    Freudian slips : when you say one thing but mean your mother.

So at long last we've finally got a series of righting arm curves to stare at........

Above you see three curves, heel angle is along the bottom and righting arm length in decimal feet up the side. We can see max righting arm is around 20 degrees in all cases. Angle of vanishing stability (where the curve crosses zero righting arm) ranges from approximately 43 degrees for Lightship condition to above 60 degrees for Full Load condition. Remember operating condition is between Full Load and Arrival (10% liquids). Also note there still some righting force at 55 degrees heel in the full load condition.

Obviously these curves are very different from those of ballasted sailboats that many have seen. Often the AVS (angle of vanishing stability) is well above 100 degrees for typical sailing yachts. These curves represent a protected water cruiser which would not be intended for open water crossings though with prudence she could certainly undertake such. Turtle Bay is of a type that would qualify for ISO category C or D operation. Cat C allows operation in waves up to 2m in height, wind force of Beaufort 6, and wind speed of 17m/sec(33 knots).....They mention exposed inland waters, estuaies, and coastal waters.

The GM at 57.3 degrees (one radian) and Slope lines represent a basic check of the curve slope at small angles of heel.

One thing not obvious from this is that downflooding does not occur on this boat even at 55 degrees heel. The windows and forward cockpit are above water even at high angles. I'll try and get a representation of that together now. I would guess that she will lay right over on her side, running out of stability and then gaining it back (due to the huge shift in I as her side enters the water) to become almost impossible to invert.
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com