Page 108 of 265 FirstFirst ... 85898107108109118158208 ... LastLast
Results 3,746 to 3,780 of 9251

Thread: Just fore the fun of it:)

Default Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

That's a Baaaad joke, you're not trying to pull the wool over my eyes are you? Don't be sheepish now.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Not wanting to sidetrack Peter's magnificent thread here this might help with the Koalality permeating through at the moment.
    http://justin.justnet.com.au/oz/australiana/
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Oh Yeah, I can do that.. Not...It's a bleedin' work o' art that is...

I Canberra any more!! I am stepping down from me Perth, lest some ozzie tries to Grafton my puns.. an Dalby a Newman sweepin' up Meekatharra wit me Broome. Whyalla prolly never know. Yalgoo safely now. It's been a real Esperance.

Can u Spell Thread Drift?

S
    Last edited by Cogeniac; 03-26-2011 at 01:30 AM.

It is often said that time flys when having fun and man-o-man was I ever having fun sliding my hands all over the slick hatch cover.However, at some point during all this titillating tactile teasing, it occured to me how perhaps this slick surface would be difficult for my gf to grab hold of properly when wishing to bring the hatch cover closed.Blessed with only two thumbs,my gf is at a slight disadvantage.........unlike moi, with the gripping force of 2 Vise-grips thanks to my ten over-worked thumbs! Lucky lucky me!

Thus something was needed to give her an edge to grab onto. A simple store bought handle would certainly have done the trick but, holy bananarama, it would have looked like an after-thought and too quick-n-dirty for me. I prefer slow and sloppy.

So I milled about the bowshed waiting for an idea to pop up inside my head.Fortunately,today was a good one for it only took all of 4 and 3/4 hours before I heard that familiar"click" sound inside my skull.

Picking up a scrap of pine, left over from the hatch cover laminating session last Fall, I sort of laid it down on the hatch cover and tried to imagine a small finger rail right about there.

Satisfied that this would work fine, I then went foraging for a scrap of mahogany with which to build this wee rail.

Once a scrap bit of mahogany was found, the pine scrap was used as a rough pattern for tracing a nice arc on that scrap bit of mahogany.

I was lucky too! This scrap bit of mahoghany,1/2" thick, was wide enough for me to trace 2 shapes right on it and it was just long enough to take the pine pattern.

Always using the same pattern, I then traced an arbitrary width for my finger grab rail to be.In this case, just a hair over an 1" wide.Yes,yes, I know, 1" wide is way too wide for nuttin' but I gave myself a little extra for fudge room etc....besides, we all know it is much easier to remove a bit too much wood than it is to add just a bit more wood.

Feeling the excitement building inside of me, the scrap bit of mahogany was taken over to the cutting table and the first bit liberated with just two saw cuts to the outside of the pencil line.

Before cutting out the twin second shape however, the first piece was brought back to the hatch cover and tested to see if it would take the crown or camber, of the hatch cover. Nope, it was way too stiff and would thus need to be built up from a laminate.

Thus the second shape was released too from the bit of scrap mahogany,seen here with its' twin shape and the parts put back together ...sort of. For some reason I was visually taken with this and found myself staring,slack-jawed and drooling, for what felt like at least 3 minutes. It sometimes troubles me how precious little it takes to amaze me.

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Finger grab rail fun continues..................

See? What did I tell you? Another picture of those two shapes but this time without the surrounding stock. This time I managed not to let my jaw go slack nor let dribble some drool. I think too it took me less than 3 minutes to snap out of it this time. Embarrassing,I say!

Next up was bending these two shapes together over what was going to be their laminating jig. I like doing dry runs like this as it allows me lots of time to get things right and to even spot potential trouble spots without the nasty and messy pressure of curing epoxy all over the place.It is also good to know the wood will take the bend without snapping!

Here is another dry run view showing the finger grab rail to be.This curve represents the hatch cover crown or camber. As you can see, this finger grab rail is intended to take a compound curve, that is,curving in two axis at once.The mahogany,especially in this small size, is just too stiff to take these two curves at once thus the "cut" curve in one plane and the laminating jig for the curve in the other plane.

Laying the assembly down, I ponder what to do next and whether or not I've either forgotten something or simply not noticed a problem. So far so good!

So the clamps are slacked off and the two parts seperated.

YIKES!!!BLACK FIBERSNAKES!!!RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!.....Oh!......Wait!!!...Pheew!...they are only two squiggly marker lines I had put there earlier to remind me which sides are the faying surfaces. My nerves must still be a bit shot from my latest encounter with one of those buggers.

Wishing to erase those scary lines before nightmares start, I take my right angle grinder and lay down some nice wee hollows along their length, just like I always do when epoxying stuff together and even more important here as the pressure from the bending of these two pieces together with force squeeze out all,or nearly all, the epoxy out of the joint thus increasing the likelihood of a glue starved/epoxy starved joint.Not a good thing in general.

Some of you may also be wondering,based on my boots in the upper right hand corner of this picture, how in blazes did I ever take this picture since I'm standing so far back and facing the other way?! There are two possible choices: a) I have taken up building in the nude as part of a new HBO television series expected to air next Fall or b) I have the long arms of a true chimp/wood butcher and can naturally do stuff like this with ease.

Cheers!

Peter Bananaland
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I didn't realize that you were also a man of such incredibly good taste as well Peter.
    Some,if not many,would beg to differ with you on that Greg,myself included, but there is one thing beyond doubt; that is one dam fine tasting beer and I credit your own good self for inspiring me to treat my taste buds to such a fine beverage from my ancestral homeland. I regret not heeding your words sooner!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Peter, regarding your comment on my thread about the fast approaching winter cold. Yes I am dreading it, it has been known to plunge as low as 19-20c during the day! And the nights well...would you believe -2c? I mean I ask you, how much can a Koala bear?
    Hi Gary, Wish I could help with the bear question, but I'm really useless with animals of the 4 legged type. However, with your temps "known to plunge as low as 19 or 20 C" during your horrible winter months I truly feel your pain. I can only hope the Laughing Polar Bear cap helps retain some residual heat upstairs and that you take on some anti-freeze during those frigid months.A particularly good anti-freeze sampled most recently is made by a refinery called Guinness. Wonderful stuff to keep the lead in your pencil from freezing and the sap in your trunk running clear.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Cogeniac View Post
    Can u Spell Thread Drift?
    S

Sure;Tee,haych,are,ee,aa,dee Dee,are,eye,ef,tee. So? How did I do?

Cheers!

Peter
    KKK Director*

Koalaity Kontrol Kommittee
    J.Lennon

You will be happy to know the Polar bear is still laughing.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Default Just fore the fun of it:)

Peter, have you considered finding an inexpensive wooden plane and rounding its iron to make the faying hollow?

It should be less trouble doing a few passes with a hand plane than donning all that protective gear to use the grinder. You do use protection, don't you?

A scrub plane could come in handy for other things too.
    1947 Nordic Folkboat "Nina"

Quote Originally Posted by BarnacleGrim View Post
    Peter, have you considered finding an inexpensive wooden plane and rounding its iron to make the faying hollow?

It should be less trouble doing a few passes with a hand plane than donning all that protective gear to use the grinder. You do use protection, don't you?

A scrub plane could come in handy for other things too.
    This is an excellent suggestion BarnacleGrim, however I am no craftsman, just a woodbutcher.After years of playing with my modified right angle grinder, it has become the first tool out of my car trunk in the morning and the last one put back at the end of the day.It also isn't stopped by much nor does it care about grain orientation,knots,epoxy,screws etc...I would be lost without it!

Regarding protective gear; I must confess I am somewhat slack with this.For little quickie jobs, I wear nothing.However, if I know I have a good session planned for the grinder,I put on a dust mask and ear protection for the duration of that session.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

With the hollowing out done,it was time to move forward with this finger pull rail......or whatever this thing is called.

Epoxied together and clamped to the form, it was time to bring it into the stateroom for a nice over night heated cure. By the next day, the epoxy she was hard as a pierre and ready to be worked.

After sanding off the cured epoxy squeeze out, this freshly minted curved member needed some reference lines traced on it for finishing off the ends.Wanting nice square and true lines, the curved piece had to be set up square to a flat surface,for me to use a square later on.Fussing with it until I was equidistant at both ends from my base line like here on the left.......

and over here on the right, assured me that I would be able to use my square with confidence to trace a nice line like...............

this, which in turn would help me to accurately place an AGD* and establish the final true length of this finger pull rail.....

like so. Once a nice arc had been traced on both ends of the finger pull rail.....

A final double checking of the centerline was done to ensure any little errors had not crept in while I was busy fussing with the camera.

Cheers!

Peter

*AGD=Arc Generating Device
    J.Lennon

Once the lines were traced, it was time for my favorite power tool.........

Holding the finger pull rail firmly agaisnt the work bench, le power tool she is brought in close and le button pushed "on".

With great care and a steady hand, le wood she is removed in less time than it takes to write about it.

One end done and the other to go.This went so fast I didn't have time to photograph it!

Admiring this little rail, I tried to envisage the actual use of it and figured it would be good to put a bit of a backward angle on the forward side where the fingers are expected to grab it.

Eye-balling what I hope will be enough of a slope,just barely seen here in this gloriously out-of-focused picture(thanks Auto-focus!!), I tighten up my orifices for the fun to come.

With this finger pull rail looking(and behaving too!) like the rung of a rocking chair, I just feel it in my gronicles this will be a fun thing to do with the grinder.

Voila! Le job she is done and I still have my ten thumbs! With this back cut now completed, I pondered what else I could do to make this a hand-n-finger friendly rail. A few pulls on the water bottle and it came to me......

A nice radius on the palm side of the finger pull. Satisfied that nothing else could be done to further ruin this bit of trim, it was time for some hand sanding to make the whole works baby-bottom-smooth while I entertained a happy daydream of my gf cooing and awing over this little treat to her. In fact, so pleased will she be,she may even cook breakfast for me.I canna wait!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by P.L.Lenihan View Post
    For little quickie jobs, I wear nothing.

Cheers!

Peter
    Oh, Peter, I really could have gone without the mental image.

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Oh! and EEEK!, you beastly pervert Jim.I ought to send you some soap to wash those dirty thoughts away tout suit! Besides, I thought you was a woodbutcher too, accustomed to wearing nothing for small quickie jobs,no? Oh say it ain't so!......

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Yes, but I wear nothing in private.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Yes, but I wear nothing in private.
    What? You too?! We're almost brothers !

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Please God, let it be option B!
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Sanding,like washing the dishes by hand, is such an easy and mindless task I'm surprised more woodbutchers don't really get into it.I mean, what other task requires so little mental effort that a fella can actually do two things at once.Yes,two things at once,normally unheard amongst our gender, sanding and actually thinking simultaneously! Admittedly I am using the term "thinking" in the broadest sense of the word but I am confident you understand what I mean.

At any rate, hand sanding of the finger pull rail was all that was left to do before installing this piece on the hatch cover proper and I enjoyed it thoroughly!

The only downside to this particular bit of sanding,was the diminutive size of the piece in question.It took very little time to achieve a nice result thus I was cheated somewhat in the thinking departmant since it takes some time for my two neurons to warm up sufficiently before anything called thinking can even begin.The rest is just instinct and habit.The extravagant blue sandpaper seen here in 40,80 and 100 grit,made for light work of it all.

During the sanding I kept checking out my progress and remained pleased with how desperately well things were proceeding.

Once it was as close to what I envisioned in my minds one-good-eye, it was time to install the bugger.Final shaping and sanding would happen once installed on the hatch cover.

But first,a little quickie bit of hollowing had to be done on the faying surface before heading back up on the roof top.

Up on the roof with the hatch cover, the finger pull rail was clamped where I wanted it and its' outline traced so that three pilot holes could be drilled perfectly centered on the rail.

The finger pull rail was then clamped back perfectly in place on the hatch cover and holes were drilled from below up into the finger pull rail using the previously done pilot holes.

Dead simple stuff, I know, but you wouldn't believe how many years it took me to figure this out.I used to either shoot things like this by eye,missing half the time or else spend many minutes measuring both sides of something to locate the center and still end up blowing a few shots. I was so much denser then than my present state of density,which ranges from frozen jello to warm pudding.

To be continued..........

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Please God, let it be option B!
    Can I buy a vowel?
    J.Lennon

Carrying on...........

To ensure the finger pull rail gets properly located or postioned once a bed of epoxy has been laid down,the screws are driven and allowed to slightly poke themselves out of their holes.

Next, a small batch of clear epoxy is mixed up and spread out along the underside of the finger pull rail and allowed to soak in for a bit.No clear epoxy is applied to the hatch cover side as it is already saturated and 'glassed.

After a suitable period of time has lapsed,say one coffee or one beers' worth, powder is then added to the remaining clear epoxy for a nice creamy peanutbutter consistency and spread out over the previously penciled outline of the finger pull rail.

Carefully handling the finger pull rail, it is layed into this peanutbutter and slightly slid about until the screws find their pilot holes.Clamps are then used to firmly seat the finger pull rail into the epoxy until the screws can be snugged up from below. Thanks to these screws, the finger pull rail sits tight instead of the nightmare slippin'-n-a-sliding' one could imagine on a curved surface like the hatch cover.

With the finger pull rail all snugged down by clamps and screws, the expected epoxy squeeze out is then taken advantage of to form a nice perimeter fillet with a tongue depressor.Depending on the angle of the tongue depressor, you can either have a large or small radiused epoxy fillet. I went for a medium sized one.

With a run of the mill small putty knife, ground down to further narrow its' blade width, the little epoxybanks(like snowbanks) of excess epoxy left from the passage of the tongue depressor are neatly removed. Despite my confessed love for sanding, even I have limits and working neat has its' own rewards!

One last peek along the forward edge of the finger pull rail and that is it.Time to grab a beer and call it a day.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

What? You too?! We're almost brothers !

Cheers!

Peter
    I have to admit that I am at work and NAKED!!!

Running around in the birthday suit is such a good feeling that I secretly deviced a cunning plan to let me do it in public and no one will ever know

The plan is this:
    I've put some clothes on to hide the fact from my co-workers, but underneath my shirt and jeans and socks and what-nots I am completely NAKED!!! Genious!!
    It's an exhilarating feeling to stealthely sneek through the corridors in the nude while no one suspects it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Beautiful, simply beautiful...
    You have a knack for curves Peter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Ryden View Post
    I have to admit that I am at work and NAKED!!It's an exhilarating feeling to stealthely sneek through the corridors in the nude while no one suspects it.
    If I were an American, I would say something like "Awesome!" However, I isn't so must simply resort to "Holy Mother of Merlot!C'est absolutely brilliant Ryden et si I can ever avoir le guts like you pour le faire, bien sur I would do it too!"

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Ryden View Post
    You have a knack for curves Peter!

My gf taught me all I need to know, should know and must never forget about curves and she constantly reminds me of what type of curves I should only be looking at(hers) and when it is proper to look at(her) curves(all the time) and what exactly will happen to me(castration) the day I begin looking and having designs,(going beyond mere appreciation), on other curves.She is wise beyond her years and I am crazy about her!(survial instinct response)

But thank you for liking my curves Ryden....you're one of the few who do.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

You have a fine eye for luvly curves Peter...the boats turning out nice as well.

John Welsford

I wish I were doing wood butchery as interesting as the tasks you come up with Peter. I think that posting 19 photos of sanding my cabin and applying primer just isn't the same. I wonder what you are going to do when all you have left is painting? How are you going to keep your audience enthralled?

And you have a girlfriend who allows you to appreciate others curves?! I am not allowed to do so even using only my peripheral vision.
    Chuck Thompson

Grabbing a beer or two is all fine and dandy and I must say I'm no stranger to that custom.However,if there is one thing I've learnt these past couple of years,the darned boat ain't gonna build itself if I do nothing but grabbing.

So.

We last left off with this finger pull rail pinned done snuggly for the cure.

The following day,after a quick testing of the epoxy, the clamps were removed and I took another swallow of hot coffee as I began to psych myself for the obvious next step to take.

It is nice up on the aft deck,early in the morning, with the sun just begining to warm things up inside the bowshed,with all the heat gathering near the roof top.I enjoy taking my morning coffee up here as I slowly thaw out.

Once the coffee is finished, it is time to get with the program.Clunking back down the stairs, I retrieve some of my favorite tools,clunk back up the stairs and finally turn off my racing thoughts.Without thoughts,there is room for lots of music, which is exactly what begins to fill my head as I begin the first of many strokes.

After humming the entire first side of Revolver, this is what I was left with.Not 100% done, but close enough to where I want to go for now.A little ringing bell in my head won't stop telling me something is "off" with this finger pull rail. I can't see it yet and decide to let things be for the time being.It will come to me eventually.

So the dust is swept, the tools put away and the hatch cover gets flipped over on its' back.

The countersunk screw holes are next to get plugged.Not being something which will be left bright nor all that visible, I do not bother with bungs.

Instead, I just droop in some epoxy to seal things for good.With the day slowly warming up inside the bowshed, I'm pleased to have gotten this epoxy stuff out of the way to move on to other fun stuff.

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I know I started off my previous post by saying the boat ain't gonna build itself if all I do is grab stuff but......something I do enjoy grabbing,during the winter, is a mitt full of snow just before entering the bow shed in the morning.

As one can imagine,as I stroll down this short path, it is very hard for me to resist the urge and just pick up snow. And no, this is not snowball making snow. That is something else all together.

Instead,this is perfect beer chilling snow. It is said the Inuit have something like 20 or more words for snow. I have only one:cold.

Come the noon-time break, the remaining snow gets brushed aside and some glorious stuff is poured as reward for putting up with the mornings labour grievences with the hired help.You know, Simon et al.....

It was during one such noon time break when I made a startling discovery, most disturbing.It appeared I had been doing it wrong from the very begining!

For right there before my eyes, and for all to see, was this simple directive informing me of how to do it right!

Not being one who likes to fall out of the mainstream much less have rude fingers pointing my way while the owners of those fingers all exclaim, in unison,"Har!Har! Look a' 'im, tha' fool! He canna drink a draught leek a real man!Noooo,Har!Har!, He drinks it like a wee pussy,he does!"

Very embarassing stuff indeed, when in polite company,I assure you!

Thus,feeling the heavy weight of social pressures mounting and knowing exactly how many hours of day light there are in a day, I did the only thing a wood butcher could do.

I chugged the contents like a pussy, clearing the slate for straight-outta-the-bottle future nourishment. I was on the road to betterment, I was, and expected soon to see the social invites to events filling my mail box.

Then I saw this:

Rats!Cats! and Bats!......my fevered hopes were once again dashed upon the lonely rocks of social ostracism. Was I to be condemned to a life of bowshed beer drinking never to be granted leave to join my fellow merry-makers? Mysteries will never cease,I wept!

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
    I wonder what you are going to do when all you have left is painting? How are you going to keep your audience enthralled?

And you have a girlfriend who allows you to appreciate others curves?! I am not allowed to do so even using only my peripheral vision.
    By the time all I have left to do is some painting Chuck, I'll be just about beside myself with rapturous joy and on the very verge of launching her. After that? Who knows......stories of exciting cruises, tense estuary trips, bold adventures along the St.Lawrence River and other lies?

Regarding the observation,notation and studying of curves various I have only one word for you;sunglasses. You can thank me later! As far as "a girlfriend who allows[me] to appreciate other curves", I would need your operational definition of the word "appreciation",before commenting further

Cheers!

Peter
    J.Lennon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_words_for_snow

*sigh* they too only have one word for snow, it probably means the same as yours.... cold!

This site has a bit of a giggle at the idea though

Hey, Mr. Lenihan

Been following your thread for mucho time now; very enlightening. Got suggestion: in putting the final shaping on your finger grab rail, you express some misgivings re lost/damaged digits. Could I suggest a pair of Nicholson rasps, No. 49 and No. 50 (coarser and finer, respectively) for future tasks? These work beautifully on just that kind of work, and the danger to the digits is virtually nil. Very little sanding required after. Just a thought...
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carry a bible" - Sinclair Lewis

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

My gf doesn't like the way I pour Guinness so I get her to do it. She worked for the Workers Beer Company in England for a few years and learnt the skill.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by LakeErieSailor View Post
    Hey, Mr. Lenihan

Been following your thread for mucho time now; very enlightening. Got suggestion: in putting the final shaping on your finger grab rail, you express some misgivings re lost/damaged digits. Could I suggest a pair of Nicholson rasps, No. 49 and No. 50 (coarser and finer, respectively) for future tasks? These work beautifully on just that kind of work, and the danger to the digits is virtually nil. Very little sanding required after. Just a thought...
    But Tenner LIKES to sand. Actually, that would not be the whole truth. Peter LOVES to sand.
    -Henry David Thoreau-