Page 1 of 265 121151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Just fore the fun of it:)

Default Just fore the fun of it:)

Seeing how this time of the year usually inspires new builds,I figured,after being inspired by another forum member, to post a few pictures of my assembling of the side panels for a Bolger designed 31 foot estuary cruiser.These were taken a few years ago and I am now getting dangerously close to being finished.I'll have to post recent pictures soon
    Hope this encourages and inspires others who work alone

First side panels with one side of the joints glassed.

Plastic sheeting layed over joints as next series of panels(background) are layed of this for assembling the other side of the boat.

Cookies to help keep seam aligned,very important with an eight foot long butt joint!

Dry fit to see that all lines up well!

More to follow.............

Peter
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 05-26-2008 at 05:33 AM.
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Default Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

slowly pulling joints apart........forget why

Line traced to guide the grinder for the hollowing out required for the Payson Butt Joint.

Hollowing out done.

on all the joints.Hours and hours of fun!!

still more to follow..

Peter
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 05-26-2008 at 05:36 AM.
    J.Lennon

First attempt to raise and flip panels over to tape the other side.Not enough pulleys and too weak a puller

More pulleys added with success just around the corner.

Tada! One up!
    yet more still..........

Peter
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 05-26-2008 at 08:29 AM.
    J.Lennon

The fun in all of this was getting the panels vertical and dragging the bottom edge over to one side so the panel would flip and drop on the un-finished side.These were 32 foot long assemblies and rather limp........the bow shed also was not high enough to fully raise the panels perfectly vertical,thus some huffing and puffing while things worked themselves out.

This is a wonderful example of why I am a "fool in training". With nothing more then the center ridge pole of the bowshed to secure the pulleys, I should have perhaps been worried about tieing off the lines,putting the camera on time release and posing like a clown under these sides, or at least this is what friends said after seeing these pictures. Maybe I should change "fool in training" to"lucky fool in training"

And that is it.Both sides taped with a 4 and 6 inch fiberglass tape laid in epoxy, as per the famous "Payson Butt Joint" method
    Working alone has its' private pleasures too

Hope ya'll enjoyed it!

Peter
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 05-26-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    J.Lennon

All I can say is WOW!

More pics!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Don't stop now, Peter.

Did you tape the second side while the panels were vertical or did you lay them flat?

That's gona be a big 32 footer if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Thanks folks! And thanks to the wonders of modern technology and some serious hand holding by JimD regarding how to post pictures a few months ago, I am feeling less shy about posting pictures of my own particular build amongst such august company.

MiddleAgesMan,the other side of the panels were taped when laying flat.They each had to be raised,flipped over and lowered before taping.I wouldn't dream of trying to do the seams in the vertical postion.
    Not sure what exactly you are seeing, but your eye sight is probably as good or better then mine so,yes, it is rather roomy

On the evening JimD finally succeeded in drawing enough word pictures to penetrate my rather dense skull regarding the posting of pictures here, I did post some pictures of this build further along. I just do not recall that particular thread.If I find it again, I'll mention it here so that you may get a peek of her much further along in her build.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Smile Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

An early shot BBS(Before Bow Shed) with the bottom of the boat all done and being used as a poormans scaffolding to errect the bow shed which was first used to assemble the side panels seen in the first post above.
    The bowshed had to be dragged forwards,then sideways,then backwards coming to rest right beside the upturned bottom.Don't ya just love all that white sand I'm standing in!

The boat bottom half way over being flipped right side up with the help of blood thirsty friends.Bowshed pulled forward on the right.

What a bunch of cards! All smiles and friendly lookin',aint they! But things aren't finished yet.The previously built side panels had to be layed down over the hull bottom and the bowshed dragged back over the works,as seen right here,bellow.

A few more pictures to follow.

Peter
    J.Lennon

O.K.,they tried to get my blood but I said NO! So they proceed to suck my two iceboxes dry of all beer.Those evil rotters! Where would I be without them!

A early shot of the side panels tied and resting against the bowshed with just the forward cabin bulkhead postioned and the partially completed centerboard box roughly in its place. There was a lot of work that had to be actually done first before those side panels were finally installed, but I couldn't wait to get a feel for the size of things to come.In fact, it would take another two and a half months of work before they were permanently attached.Oh, and before discovering every greenhouse owners best friend AKA Liquid Shade, I could almost boil water(or at least warm up lunch) in that bowshed at high noon!

I'll continue to post more pictures as time permits.

Thanks again for all your kind comments!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, you are too kind. But as long as you've learned how to post pictures...

Great project along with an ambitious approach. Cool.

Keep 'em coming, you can't stop now.

Steven

Peter - don't start slacking off now<G> It's fun to revisit these, having seen some of the process over the years at the Bolger group.

"As the poet said, 'Only God can make a tree' -- probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on" -- Woody Allen

Yes indeed David G! I'm getting a kick out of re-visiting these too as they help me to realise that it was not all fun-n-games

Here are a few more I've managed to discover as I slowly tunnel and mine my way through several boxes of pictures,

This is a follow up to how the bowshed ended up the way it ended up after being half way assembled in the snow...err...I mean white sand

Come Springtime,after the snow had melted,I built some short walls to support the bowshed higher as it was simply too low for the envisioned cabin.

Beer thirsty bandits again arrived on the scene to carry the bowshed foreward and clear of the inverted bottom structure of the boat.

It was then carefully walked sideways then backward straddling somewhat the riserwalls(is that a word?).

With much care and cursing in French,the bowshed is tilted and ever so gently bent to sit on the top of the riserwall.

More follows.........

Peter
    J.Lennon

I grew up in Ottawa and learned how to curse in French, too. But we only had canoes as kids.

With equal care and cursing,the other side of the bowshed is raised and finally secured to the riserwall.

This gives a view of how the bowshed actually sits on the wall.Pretty low tech

A nice shot before the plastic and support pieces are added.Inverted boat bottom to the right side of the picture

Plastic film getting installed. As some may know, the classic bowshed works around a basic formula,namely the height and width are controlled by the length of 1X3 used to make the bows.The longest lengths I was able to obtain was 12'. Thus I had to cheat and modify things to fit my boat hence the riser walls and 14' width(instead of 12'). Also, I had to add several ouside diagonal braces to prevent the thing from being blown over in strong winter winds.The outside dimensions are 14'wide,40'long and 15' high.The height was later modified to 17' after having to raise the whole shed anther 2' to get adequate clearance for working on the boats' roof.Hours and hours of fun!!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Happy builder relieved to have the side panels up and installed after much fussing around.If one looks carefully,you can see the 2' increase in height around the perimeter

Bare bones naked interior waiting for stuff to happen!

Not much side clearance but this beat the hell out of working outside

Peter
    J.Lennon

This is how a crazy person celebrates the first day of Spring by clearing away some snow,hauling out the Bar-B-Q and inviting those thirsty beer bandits to come on down to check out the boat progess,get a jumpt-start on their tans, and,sadly,demolish a few crates of grape juice,sob,sob,sniff,sniff The buggers!!!

Off to continue digging for more fun pictures!

Peter
    J.Lennon

I have some questions. Do you do any epoxying in the winter? If you do, what epoxy do you use? How warm can you get your shed on cold winter days, how about condensation any issues there...assuming you keep working during the winter.

Very impressive. What kind of ply are you using? Okume? That 8' butt joint must have been a challenge.

The shed looks almost as nice as the boat.
    All hail the Flashlight King

("Hail you.")

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    I have some questions. Do you do any epoxying in the winter? If you do, what epoxy do you use? How warm can you get your shed on cold winter days, how about condensation any issues there...assuming you keep working during the winter.
    Greg,

Thanks for your questions.Yes,I epoxy in winter,inside the boat and with the heater running on high.My work schedule gets reversed during the winter months thus;
    All the cutting,sanding,dry-fitting for a section(or part)etc gets done during the day.First thing the following morning,the heat is turned up,parts get epoxied and the cure begins.(I pre-warm my epoxy too).The rest of the day is spent preparing the following mornings epoxy work.
    During the summer,all epoxy work is usually done at the end of the day and ready for sanding or further work by the following morning thanks to the friendlier epoxy temperatures.
    As far as working in the shed but outside of the boat during winter, no epoxy work gets done,just cutting,sanding and dry fitting of parts as it is too cold for epoxy. Just as an example;a clear winters day of say -12C can see temperatures near +13C at high noon .This however is short lived as the sun begins to set. With my heater running at medium, I can easily maintain +21C inside the boat however.
    Condensation was a problem at first until a friend who operates a greenhouse suggested putting a double lining on the inside,and two vents(one near the peak and one at the opposite end down low).Never again have I experienced any condensation and the place actually felt warmer because of the double lining.

I use Industrial Formulators of Canada G-2 epoxy and generally play....ooops!....I mean work 5 to 6 days per week farting around on the myriad details of the boat,girlfriend permitting Depending on the number of drop-in visitors, I can usually get an honest 4 un-interupted hours in on a good day

Don't let winter stop you from building something worthwhile!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoastbreeze View Post
    Very impressive. What kind of ply are you using? Okume? That 8' butt joint must have been a challenge.

The shed looks almost as nice as the boat.
    Thank you! The plywood is 1/2" fir MDO from Simpson,now Olympic, out in Oregon.It is their SIGNAL brand. The butt joints and a few other big pieces were indeed a challenge,but managable ones,especially when the beer bandits would show up

At first,as I was assembling it over the upsidedown bottom, alot of folks who had never seen a bowshed,actually thought it was a part of the boat.....afterall, it was made out of wood and very curvy

Peter
    J.Lennon

Clossable vent added after the inner lining was put on to prevent the dreaded condensation.

Side view showing scant working room,especially on top for roof work

Found this one,out of order,of the bow shed as it was before the 2 foot height increase.This was on the day the bottom was but inside her.

Half way through flipping the bottom over and "they" want to discuss exactly how many beer,what type of beer,how cold etc.....I love these beer bandits!!

Back to digging and mining for more pictures...........ya'll can blame this on JimD who showed me how to post pictures in the first place

Peter
    J.Lennon

One half of the centerboard case with two layers of 10 oz. fiberglass set in epoxy and covered with three coats of high build 2 part epoxy primer.

All ready to go! The triangular slot is for the pivot pin on the centerboard thus avoiding any surprise leaks from an access plate on the outside of the centerboard box.A triangular wedge keeps the board from floating up in the centerboard box. The master stateroom was used as a temporary work shop as it was in the dead of winter and this space was relatively easy to heat,compared to the rest of the bow shed.

Centerboard slot cut into bottom of hull and the perimeter sanded and lightly dished for epoxy and the beds which are to follow.

1X6 mahogany beds all epoxied in place and just barely visible the two slots to recieve the headlogs from the centerboard case.

Quick trial fit just to ensure I am still on the right track Thanks to a pair of 500 watt halogen lamps the otherwise gloomy interior was lit up like an operating room!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Starboard side of centerboard box installed and two copper lined tubes through which the up-haul and down-haul for the centerboard will run.

Looking straight forward into those two holes.

A few mahogany 1X2 supports/framing for the forward salon sub-floor.Port side of centerboard box now installed and bolted down through 2X2 white oak bedlogs.

Subfloor framing installed and pattern making for sub-floor.note cozy ceramic heater to keep the work place habitable!

Another view,looking aft, of main salon area with pattern or sub-floor.Lots of dry storage under them thar floors!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Mr. Lenihan - keep it coming. We can take it. Makes me want a beer though.

The all-the-way-aft master stateroom with the beginings of the berth sides and drawer.

Two hanging clossets and rear companionway.

Lucky fool in training standing between closets......I'm not really angry,just impatient with the photographer

Port side hanging closet and athwartship battery box(for 6 batteries!) which will serve as the first step up and out of the companionway.
    J.Lennon

Looking aft from helm station.Bright new sub-floor installed and waiting for cut-outs for underfloor access.

Looking forward,from the not-yet-built galley/head section of boat.

Pattern making for lower section of galley counter.Space bellow(bilge) for grey water storage tanks and fresh water tanks.No through-hulls.

Subfloor of galley and head compartment installed and kickboard for under the counter. The two barely visible holes through base of counter for plumbing access.

Space across from galley(starboard side) which will become the head and shower compartment.

Hope ya'll enjoying this as much as I am!
    Now,back to digging through the photo box for more pictures......probably tomorrow

Peter
    J.Lennon

Talking Re: Just fore the fun of it:)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Mr. Lenihan - keep it coming. We can take it. Makes me want a beer though.
    Thanks David G!! I have little doubt in your collective abilities to take it. I too love sitting back and looking through someones building process(God knows I've done it often enough here over the years!) I'm just returning the favour,as it were, to the many others before me who did the same

Now,speaking of wanting a beer......I would dearly enjoy a deep cold one right about now too but it is 0148 and the stores are all closed

Peter
    J.Lennon

A few cold weather friends who dropped by with some hot coffee(for a change!) and didn't even want a small glass of Port! Imagine my good fortune

The dinette on the left, salon floor on the right,freshly cut mahogany strewn about,the galley roughed in abit further aft.Photo shot right at the main entrance door all the way forward.

Standing in galley area looking forward.Helm station(dashboard?) to starboard of doorway.

Master double berth getting framing stock installed.Various compartments underneath for drawers,bulk storage and fuel tank.

Bilge area under the not-yet-installed sub-floor of stateroom.Captains bed on the right and dresser on the left of photo, looking aft toward the athartship battery box.

That's it for now folks.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, thanks for these great photos. I wondered how you would move those big panels around. Now I know your secret - Beer! Seriously, isn't it great to have such good friends who will help you willingly. There's something about boatbuilding that seems to bring out the best in people.
    Have you kept track of your hours? That MDO looks nice. I used to have a good supplier when I lived in Connecticut. It paints up beautifully and as long as you work neatly little sanding is necessary.
    Thanks for posting! Love your workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltiguy View Post
    Peter, thanks for these great photos. I wondered how you would move those big panels around. Now I know your secret - Beer! Seriously, isn't it great to have such good friends who will help you willingly. There's something about boatbuilding that seems to bring out the best in people.
    Have you kept track of your hours? That MDO looks nice. I used to have a good supplier when I lived in Connecticut. It paints up beautifully and as long as you work neatly little sanding is necessary.
    Thanks for posting! Love your workmanship.
    O.K. Saltiguy, now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag...BEER, not just the breakfast of champions but a solo boatbuilders best friend

As to keeping track of my hours....what are these?!? I have enough trouble keeping track of my car keys without having to chase after hours....although come to think of it,I used to have a box or two in my parents garage but I think they tossed them in the garbage a while ago But seriously, when you're having this much fun the hours just fly right by,in other words,whose counting fun time?

Continued success with your Champlain build....perhaps you could start a sister thread documenting your build.Just think of the hours of fun time provided for the rest of the forum lurkers and potential builders with our two threads! Go for it

Thanks for the compliment!

Peter
    J.Lennon

With most of the interior structures in place, the roof was next.Above,looking aft, you can see a bunch of temporary roof beams secured to the sheer clamp and braced along the centerline by posts.The post also served to"crank in" some crown to the deck/roof structure.Totally going against the designers spec'd dead flat(athwartship) roof design! I'm dense and hard headed and feared the dead flat roof would,over time,develope a slight dish and water would pool there instead of running smoothly off a nice crown.Call me nuts!

Looking forward from the aft deck. The temporary deck beams are just simple pine bits dressed to 2X 2 1/2".

A view from inside the master stateroom looking forward.

and one looking the other way...just loved the looks of those posts holding up the temporary deck beams,made me think of summer cabin building!

Another shot taken while standing on the foredeck looking aft.You can just see the pads screwed under the temporary deck beams to hold them flush with the top of the deck/roof clamps(carlins) which,incidently, were made from white oak dressed to 2 X 3 and 22' long. What a thrill to set these buggers in place,compound curves and all!

More to follow.

Peter
    J.Lennon