Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tinnitis?

Default Re: Tinnitis?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Go see an audiologist, but don't hold out to much hope on it... it's usually an inner-ear thing or audiologic nerve damage (mine). It'll drive you bonkers at first... but if it's not real serious, you actually learn to live with it. Mine's a whistling sound that occasionally goes to "white" noise.... I'm useless at cocktail parties or in a restaurant, 'cos I can't hear conversations worth squat. Had it since I was in my 20's... made dating a real tough proposition!
    Same, I'm deaf in one ear, not good in the other, and have persistent tinnitus, I had hopes that mine would be the last generation to suffer from hearing damage and loss from working in high noise environments without hearing protection, but I watch the kids roaming around with blutooth earplugs playing loud music at high levels, and wonder about their future.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Tinnitis?

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Same, I'm deaf in one ear, not good in the other, and have persistent tinnitus, I had hopes that mine would be the last generation to suffer from hearing damage and loss from working in high noise environments without hearing protection, but I watch the kids roaming around with blutooth earplugs playing loud music at high levels, and wonder about their future.

John Welsford

As a kid, I walked around shouldering a boom box with Aqualung or the Allmans cranking at 11. Then went home and used the same volume setting on my guitar amp. My dad, a gunnery sergeant in the Marines, knew a thing about hearing damage, and warned me.

He was right. I have tinnitus that comes and goes.

But, with respect to todays kids. They live healthier all around.

My kids showed me the iphone setting that alerts me if I am listening at damaging levels. Additionally, the Health app also shows my trend of earbud and headphone volume levels.

Just cuz they are using earbuds does not mean they are listening at the harmful levels some of us did.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

What?!?

Big guns ( 5'" / 127 MM and caliber .50 BMG) , chain printer ' hammer flight timing' , pneumatic paint chipping have taken quite a toll on my ears - also have a persistent 'hissing' noise as my constant companion. ( . . . if I knew then what I know now )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Ringing is so bad in my right ear that I can't hear myself think in either ear.

That's likely a good thing, cuz if I knew what was going on in there I think I'd be really scared!
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!