Thread: Homemade canoe outrigger "How-To"?

Smile Homemade canoe outrigger "How-To"?

Greetings - I'm brand new to this site & I've a bunch of questions about building an "Ama" (?) for my 16' canoe. I want to use some rigid foam sheets (blue foam ?) & epoxy. I'm thinking of making it 8' long because that's how long the sheets are. The canoe will only be paddled, not sailed.

1.) Does epoxy (West System 105/207) actually stick to blue foam?

2.) Can blue foam + fibreglass cloth + cover paint hold up to high temps? (sunlight on olive-green paint) - I'm in the midwest USA.

3.) I guess I'm asking for help on design parameters - things to consider before building so one doesn't end up with an expensive "backyard lawn ornament". Calculating bouyancy, best shape, building wood 'outrigger-spars', etc.

Thanks to all

Default Re: Homemade canoe outrigger "How-To"?

Welcome to the forum, Namekogan. With only one sheet of occume plywood you could build a very strong ama. Then glass it or not. For your styrofoam idea is sounds like you might like to research the way homemade surfboards are done. There's probably plenty on the internet if you googled around. Here's a vid to get you started: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ho...oard/537461820 . To get the ama size and dimensions about right just look around at others who have come before you.

West 207 hardener is their clear coating hardener which is more expensive than their general-use hardeners (205 and 206).
    Last edited by JimConlin; 05-12-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Gads, who'd a thunk it. A surfboard. Not something we ponder much here in Cow-Land. Thanks, Jim...I think I'm on my way now. Time to clean the bloody garage!

Holy Crum this is great - I also just saw "Related Threads" below.

You'll want to study this:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html

And while you're at it, you might want to pick up a copy of Gary's book on outrigger canoe building, which is excellent and a great value for the price.

Ditto:
    Todd beat me to it. Here is a link for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071487913?...PZFSCM7BRYHS4J&
    "The hand feeds the mind."
    Weston Farmer

Also see who can help in Canoe Sailing Magazine, http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.php/RUDDER-FORUM/
    Ed Maurer
    Skinny Hull sailing magazinewww.skinnyhull.com
    Florida Fly Fishing Magazine http://FlaFlyFish.com/

Yes, ditto on Gary Dierking's book and ama method. I recently built a plywood deep-V ama, which seemed simple enopugh, but by the time I was done I wished I had tried one of Gary's foam and glass types. My ama ended up being nearly as complicated as building a second boat, and the foam and glass method seems a little simpler (also light, giving you the option to add weight if you want). --Wade

I got her built, as per Gary Dierking's concept of the plywood ama. His book is excellent and paved the way for me, thanks for that tip. I scaled up the size to 7" X 7" cross section, & length of 93". She's a bit 'over built' w.r.t. the iakos. Sitka spruce is marvelous to work with. I have yet to build a small deck to fit between the iakos. She's stable & lets me fly cast standing up. Well thanks for looking, comments welcome....as I'm thinking of building another with foam & Meranti 1088 plywood, with no deck plates; simpler & lighter.
    Last edited by Namekogan; 07-09-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Nice job! Gary's book is inspiring I must say. I'm on my 3rd boat of his design & the new one on his blog is mighty tempting.

Dan

Good job! Yes, Gary's book is a great reference.

[Edited to note:] Here's a kiwi page -- as it happens, Gary Dierking's, author of the afore-cited book -- on building amas from blue foam board and 'glass: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html. He says this about the design presented:

Other than a solid log, the foam and fiberglass ama is in my opinion the easiest to build. I'm using the method employed to build tens of thousands of surfboards since the 1960's. The ama design used here as an example would suit a shunting or tacking canoe of 16'-18' (4.8-5.5M) It can be connected to the cross beams by either a direct (Hawaiian) connection or an indirect (almost everyone else) method using struts.

Chesapeake Light Craft sells plans (and kits!) for a stitch-and-tape kayak/canoe sailing kit. Verra shapely, too:

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/b...iling-rig.html

Could do worse than to build that (or buy the plans and use them as a starting point for your own design.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 09-12-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)