Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for displacement cruiser - lean and efficient

Default Looking for displacement cruiser - lean and efficient

I am searching for a design for a displacement-speed trailerable cruiser: Bolger's Tennessee strikes my fancy but is too long, I think, for spontanious launching and storage would be a problem. My criteria are: Flat bottom; low power (15 HP outboard); spartan accomodations, more for the Wife to retreat from bad weather than for extended living; 22-25 foot length; strikingly handsome in a traditional sort of way. Ply and epoxy is my medium.

Let me know if you have seen this design.

Default Re: Looking for displacement cruiser - lean and efficient

Check out the Redwing 26 at www.cmdboats.com

Not as lean as Tennessee, but a handsome plywood displacement cruiser nonetheless.

Bartender (designed to plane but power it down and it should do fine at displacement speeds)

http://www.bartenderboats.com/22-foot-bartender.html
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Skiff America 20
    Not a displacement cruiser but does 25 mph with 25 hp and really sips gas.

http://www.skiffamerica20.com/
    Last edited by Lewisboats; 05-12-2008 at 12:55 PM.

True displacement hull forms.
    http://www.selway-fisher.com/Steam2030.htm
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

I'm currently in love with the Gartside "Wayward"

http://www.gartsideboats.com/catpow.php#wayward

You might also look at the Atkin design "Martha Green" - done in plywood

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

A friend built the Redwing 18. I've spent some time on it now, and have to say it's a very nice boat. Never had it in anything approaching "rough".

I bet Atkins' Heart's Desire could be worked up for plywood quite easily. I like the cabin as drawn but it would be simple enough to alter to suit. Ten horsepower would be plenty of ponies:

This thread shows how little interest consumers, and therefore designers, currently have in the flat bottom design with fine entries and narrow beams. The trend for maximum space in the shortest length has pretty much done away with them it seems.

Edited to add: Do you like dories?
    Last edited by JimD; 05-12-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    This thread shows how little interest consumers, and therefore designers, currently have in the flat bottom design with fine entries and narrow beams. The trend for maximum space in the shortest length has pretty much done away with them it seems.
    What are you mumbling about?

I bet Atkins' Heart's Desire could be worked up for plywood quite easily. I like the cabin as drawn but it would be simple enough to alter to suit...
    That looks like a very appealing choice. It shouldn't be too much work to convert to lapped ply or tweak the topsides if she won't plank as drawn with full height sheets. One could probably "easily" plank those topsides in rips landing on stringers if full height sheets were a pain. You could readily place the outboard in a well.

Or, you could find a turn-key set of plans. Everyone has to choose their own poison.

Jaques Mertins Fast Launch 26 would work if you could replace the diesel with a little O/B in a well.

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=FL26

Sweet looking boat but I'm not sure how the sharp bow / flat bottom would work in a seaway. Bolger has written some about boats like this being difficult to steer when the bow digs into a wave.

Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

I have to put in a plug, also, for Tom Lathrop's Blue jacket 24.

http://www.bluejacketboats.com/bluejacket_24.htm

It goes about 25 mph with a 50 hp; you should be able to go 10 mph or so with a light weight 15 hp.

Denny Wolfe
    www.wolfEboats.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    What are you mumbling about?
    But Wiley, ... er, I think I misread the original post For some reason I was thinking long and narrow, hence my suggestion of the Atkin design. All the same, how many of the suggested designs are flat bottom with 15 hp power requirements?
    Last edited by JimD; 05-12-2008 at 11:15 PM.

But Wiley, ... er, I think I misread the original post ...
    Jim D, I think your interpretation of the "design brief" was perfect as was your suggestion. I like the (lean and efficient) hull of HEART'S DESIRE and the modifications you suggested and I expanded should not be beyond the reach of someone willing to do the homework. I just couldn't resist giving you a bit of a hard time given your Senior Mumbler status.

displacement, hm... i think this may be interesting for you...

http://boatcnc.com/projects/barka/bark.html

I bet Atkins' Heart's Desire could be worked up for plywood quite easily. I like the cabin as drawn but it would be simple enough to alter to suit. Ten horsepower would be plenty of ponies:
    Edited to add: Do you like dories?
    Thanks for the suggestions. It's an interesting list and I have lusted over many of the designs over the years. Heart's Desire, however is new to me and it does look like a good fit. Lap ply and an outboard well - no problem.

Flat bottom is an essential requirement for me. My time on the water is spent mostly on the shallow, shoaling Georgia coast and shallow draft is critical.

Dory's you say? Who doesn't like dories? I have considered a St. Pierre type but they seem to be more boat than I need. Other dory type designs are still a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish22 View Post
    Dory's you say? Who doesn't like dories? I have considered a St. Pierre type but they seem to be more boat than I need. Other dory type designs are still a possibility.
    Big Jake might be a little small at 20'6" x 5' 3" but also is rated for a miserly 5 hp motor. Its designed as an open boat but I bet you could add a small cuddy as long as you kept it low:

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish22 View Post
    The St. Pierre, with it's "love it or hate it" sheer line is actually a good match to what you're looking for - mine is a "seine dory" by the dory shop, with many mods for cruising:
    *9.9 Yamaha High Thrust four stroke in a well that absolutely sips fuel and pushes her to hull speed on a quart and a half an hour.
    *keels for beaching with the outboard - also makes trailering by myself a breeze.
    *Cabin with doors and two bronze port holes for light and air. Inisde is the circuit breakers for the minimal electronics I have on the boat.
    *Transom-hung kick-up rudder. I love a tiller - and this works particularly well with the thrust being 'vectored' towards it by the twin keels the lower unit works between.
    *My boat has a mast on a tabernacle, and a balanced-lug sail that is not used nearly enough. I'll work that into the repertoire soon enough, though.

Neat boats, would NOT hesitate to load it with fuel, food and water and head for the horizon. With the twin keels, shoals are not an issue, and they work very well to keep that big bow from falling off in a stiff breeze. My $.02, keep the change!

Chris

Caskillet--we need a photo of your boat. Right now. Please?

Quote Originally Posted by AngWood View Post
    The Dory Shop website has these pics of the Seine Dory

http://www.doryshop.com/thumbnails.html

I know, but it's never enough.

Atkin's Ninigret?

"Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the "Ellie May," a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests." David McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by AngWood View Post

Sounds serious - I hope these help!

Quite a bit of work done since these photos were taken - the most obvious being the bilge pump has been run through a proper brass through-hull, the battery has been relocated, the bronze portholes have been installed, etc.

Here's a shot of the motor well and twin keels-

And one of the cabin from the cockpit floor -

Yessir, that's what you need, right there!

Ahhh...that's the stuff.

You might want to try Paul Gartside's 22 foot diesel cruiser. It has an 800 mile range and uses about 30 hp. there's also a 24 foot one (he has one for sale) and his new 30 footer that was reviewed last month in Woodenboat.

I'm presently building a Bolger "Champlain". 23 foot, 9.9 outboard power, shallow draft, standing headroom in head and galley, spacious enclosed cabin, sleeps 2, loads of storage, suitable for year-round cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltiguy View Post
    I'm presently building a Bolger "Champlain". 23 foot, 9.9 outboard power, shallow draft, standing headroom in head and galley, spacious enclosed cabin, sleeps 2, loads of storage, suitable for year-round cruising.
    Saltiguy, what's Champlain's hull look like below the waterline? Got any pics? Cool boat, that. Don't know that it qualifies as lean but its certainly efficient and lots of room. Sort of a houseboat with a pointy end:

The Champlain underbody is shown on the study plan. She has a box keel 2 feet wide running up the centerline. Draws a foot.

There are none prettier:

#5468--ZENITH, A HAND 25-FOOT CRUISER
    Designed by Wm. H. Hand, Jr.
    Now, who would like a fine little cruiser? We have had plans for runabouts in all sizes from 15 feet up and also a cruiser in the larger sizes. Here are some plans for a crackerjack little cruiser of only 25 feet length. Imagine the joys of sailing about on a handy little boat like this fitted with a 20 h. p. Kermath motor neatly tucked away under the bridge. Just think of the many happy days to be spent on this little boat in cruising about from one picturesque harbor to the next. Or what could be more fun than going in all the club motor boat races and winning the prizes. The busy little motor with which this boat is to be equipped is capable of pushing it along on a merry clip. One that you need not be ashamed of. You will never be the last boat back with this outfit. The hull is light and strong and the design is perfect. Only a designer of the skill and experience of Wm. H. Hand, Jr., is able to turn out a boat with such a multitude of desirable features as this one possesses. There are comfortable berths, a capacious galley, and pantry where the meals can be prepared in comfort. A roomy toilet and numerous other items! Under the cockpit floor are the gasoline tanks and a large flush hatch makes this lazarette space easily accessible for the stowage of baggage and luggage.

D.N. Goodchild, of course.

Atkins' Little Water tunnel stern. When I lived on the GA coast this would have been just the ticket. Probably doesn't meet your requirements though. http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Ut...ttleWater.html
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I'm not the first to proffer this design but it certainly has some of the sweetest/saltiest lines around:

http://www.devlinboat.com/surfscoter22.htm

Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post

Atkins' Little Water tunnel stern. When I lived on the GA coast this would have been just the ticket. Probably doesn't meet your requirements though. http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Ut...ttleWater.html
    emailed atkin website a few weeks ago to buy these plans, have not heard back yet. is there usually a longer turn around for plans in the summer?

Amazing how many suggestions just don't fit your originally stated criteria. The Redwing 21 appears to be just what you are looking for with perhaps a more spartan interior.

So many good ideas. I'll add Reuel Parker's Commuter 24.

The boats in the pictures look like they are using a lot more than 15 hp.

A small traditional lobster boat would do well at what you want.

Just a note that we jumped 10 years between posts 29 & 30. That said I found much to like in both the designs suggested and the polite passion of the discussion ca 2008. We now have several generations going down the (pleasant) Atkins site rabbit hole....
    -Dan