Page 183 of 183 FirstFirst ... 83133173182183
Results 6,371 to 6,404 of 6404

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    And the more "Beam" you have overhanging the horse the first time up means you are lifting less at the other end.

Material handling gets challenging as the years slide by.....I can't believe how heavy a sheet of 3/4 ply is these days...
    Haha! I recently hoisted some OSB roof panels for the first time in a while and discovered they use a heavy glue, now.

I recently paid $50 (Canadian) for one of those 16" Makita beam saws. Blue one. I have yet to get any use out of it. I know squeezing the trigger twists it's nose down, releasing it pops it back up again. TONS of torque.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Once upon a time a built a barn with two floors, the upper floor was 12 feet high, sheeted with 1-1/8" ply and I carried and pushed every one up a ladder by myself, positioned and fastened them like 30 of them? Today I need help to lift one into my pick up truck. Proving the old adage is true "they just don't make 'em like they used to" I'm sure Rob is correct, the new glue is friggin heavy

Since milling the remaining planking stock I've been generally bumbling around without much direction or purpose. Precious time slipped by and for the life of me I can't remember just what it was I did, but I did a fair amount of it.

Oh, yeah, one thing, I bought a catboat. It's a Marshal Sandpiper, a fifteen foot open cockpit daysailer. More about that to come.

So, now it's back to planking. I hope I have enough stock to finish, but it looks like I'll have to be very careful of the waste. I do have a nice pile of the thin stuff I use for laminating, so all the forward planks are going to be laminated, just to conserve wood.

There's a coat of CPES on the cabin sides that's been curing for some time. I've got that sanded out to 220 and hope to have the first coat of varnish on this week.

The icebox is almost finished, with the interior shelf supports in place, five coats of Brightsides painted on the inside, and two inches of foam glued on the outside. Having the icebox in place will define the galley area, so that's a step forward.

Here, then, is one of those forward planks getting laminated in place...

I was going to ask if you were double planking, but the picture (and text) make it clear lamination is the order of the day. Thrifty no doubt and I imagine it helps with the curves. Beautiful work as always. Thanks for sharing it.

^ Wiley said it - - - Good to see you posting, Jim !!!

Hello Jim,

I clicked on the last photo you posted which took me to your SmugMug photos and then I clicked on the right-side arrows.

With in a couple of clicks I was at the beginning of your photos... and I clicked a little further.

I was struck by how quickly the parts you were cutting, shaping, and assembling began to look like the beginning of a BOAT!

Your shop looks starkly empty...but we know you soon took care of that!!!!

Regards,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    I was going to ask if you were double planking, but the picture (and text) make it clear lamination is the order of the day. Thrifty no doubt and I imagine it helps with the curves. Beautiful work as always. Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you, Wiley. I'm sorry for any confusion, single thickness carvel planking is what's happening here. Some of the planks are laminated, either for shaping reasons or to stretch the available pile of planking material.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    ^ Wiley said it - - - Good to see you posting, Jim !!!

It's good to have something to post, Rick, I've been missing working on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan71 View Post
    Hello Jim,

I was struck by how quickly the parts you were cutting, shaping, and assembling began to look like the beginning of a BOAT!

Regards,
    Alan
    Thanks, Alan, I have a talent for making things look like the beginnings of a boat, and I have the pictures to prove it. Making things look like an actual boat, well, that'll take more time.

Last July I had been fitting a few planks. One was the starboard side, sixth plank down. It was in three sections and the insides had been backed out and the top edge fitted to the plank above. The scarf joints on the ends had yet to be cut.

And then I got distracted.

It's a lucky thing, trying to pick up the thread of building again, that this half-finished plank was there to help ease my way back into the project. At least I didn't have to break in with a fresh plank, that would have been a much bigger hurdle.

Here's the plank in question. All I have to do is to cut the scarfs on the ends and the whole thing can be glued together. It's so nice to be able to make progress while I try to remember everything I'd forgotten over the summer holiday. Oh, yeah, that's the new laminated plank, starboard version, that you can see clamped on, fifth up, forward...

Here is a shot of the plank clamped on from underneath. This is under the bridge deck, starboard side. You can see the underside of the deck and the sheer clamp. The cockpit deck structure is to the right. The backing-out of the plank is quite apparent here, it gets tighter the further aft you go due to the tight radius of the tumblehome. The aft plank has had it's scarf cut, and by clamping it in place the location of the scarf can be transferred to the forward plank.

Hi, Jim! Good to see you posting.
    Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Jim, great to see your work as always. I am curious, do you think the laminated portions of plank will be more dimensionally stable and/or resistant to swelling than the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Hi, Jim! Good to see you posting.
    Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Kevin

Thanks for checking in, Kevin, it's always a pleasure to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by nrs5000 View Post
    Jim, great to see your work as always. I am curious, do you think the laminated portions of plank will be more dimensionally stable and/or resistant to swelling than the others?

Thank you, sir! Yes, the laminated planks, by their nature, will be more dimensionally stable than a solid plank. They will also be stronger overall as any particular weakness of any lamination will be confined to that lamination while being bolstered by the two adjoining lams. The downside, apart from the effort required to make a laminated plank, is an increase in weight due to the glue used.

Thanks, all,

Jim

Hi Jim,
    Those plank line sure look sweet.

Glue weight is a non-issue low on the hull like that

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Hi Jim,
    Those plank line sure look sweet.

Thanks, Terry, I'm hoping they stay that way from here on in!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Glue weight is a non-issue low on the hull like that

Ballast, Jake, ballast is what it is.

Here's a cheerful picture. After a bit of sanding I managed to get two coats of Epifanes varnish on the cabin sides. The sides had been prepared with a coat of CPES a couple of months ago, which is to say it's had a good long time to cure.

And here you wer a few months back saying you were going to paint it all
    good to see some bright work Jim!

Nice...

Thanks guys, didya like that one?

Here's another after three coats. I'll stop here while it dries up really well and put some more coats on next Spring. Back to planking.

When I was building my front porch and fussing with the fit of the rafters, my neighbor stopped by and said "it's a porch, not a piano".

What you're building is a boat, and a piano. Lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    When I was building my front porch and fussing with the fit of the rafters, my neighbor stopped by and said "it's a porch, not a piano".

What you're building is a boat, and a piano. Lovely!

Thanks, Terry, that's a kind thing to say, and, knowing you the porch came out looking very well. I find fussing with rafter fits an excellent use of my time.

Here is the inside of the cabin sides just after applying the second coat of Epifanes...

The starboard, forward light. You can see the scarf that joins the forward section to the side section as well as two dutchmen covering a slip...or two.

Scarf?

She looking good, Man. The interior shot with the ceiling and all… that’s nice stuff.

Nothing brings a boat to life more then a nice coat of varnish! The contrast between the varnished wood and white bulkhead is stunning.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Looking very sweet Jim. How many coats of Epifanes are you aiming for?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Beautiful work Jim. I gotta get back to see it!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Scarf?

She looking good, Man. The interior shot with the ceiling and all… that’s nice stuff.

Thanks, Rob, it's starting to come together, a few holes left to patch, some paint and putty...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Nothing brings a boat to life more then a nice coat of varnish! The contrast between the varnished wood and white bulkhead is stunning.

Thanks, Rich, I like that look myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Looking very sweet Jim. How many coats of Epifanes are you aiming for?

I've applied three coats so far, Greg, and the grain has yet to be filled. I'm thinking about six coats before it's smooth and a few more before launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Beautiful work Jim. I gotta get back to see it!

You're always welcome to come by anytime, Tom, I'm looking forward to it.

Here's a pair of planks getting a couple of coats of sealer on their insides and edges...

...and the icebox being fitted in place....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post

Here's a pair of planks getting a couple of coats of sealer on their insides and edges...

What sort of sealer on the plank edges, Jim?
    I am used to plank edged left bare so that the caulking grips the wood.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    What sort of sealer on the plank edges, Jim?
    I am used to plank edged left bare so that the caulking grips the wood.

Good point, Nick. The planks are sealed with CPES, a two-part epoxy with a water-thin consistency. I don't think the sealer on the edges will make much difference to the caulking. The sealed edges are harder on the surface than they would be unsealed, but on the other hand a lot of boats are planked with harder wood to begin with, mahogany, teak and so on, and they seem to do alright. What I do like is the way the sealed gets into all the screw holes and seals the end grain.

I'll prime the seams with red lead and the roll the caulking into the wet paint, followed by another coat of red lead on top to seal the caulking cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post

I'll prime the seams with red lead and the roll the caulking into the wet paint, followed by another coat of red lead on top to seal the caulking cotton.
    Just so. Seal the caulking as soon as it is driven so that the fibres do not relax and loosen.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Get a couple of coats of varnish and it's time to break out the gold leaf. Or so it seems. We've been fooling around with fonts on a vinyl lettering site, not to use, oh no, heavens no, just to use as a jumping off point to see how we like it. There is a cover sheet over the vinyl in the picture. I want some more crown to the letters to mimic the deck crown. That seems to be something you can't have in the vinyl world, which is a shame. However, the vinyl letters could easily be made into a stencil with some crown for a painted name.

A friend of mine is a professional carver and has done a lot of signs. He would use an old computer and a word processor program. He could choose the font and add crown or other shape then print it full size on accordion style computer paper. Then he’d transfer it to the wood with carbon paper. I don’t know if this info helps you or not, it’s clear you don’t need help. This project is a real inspiration for me and many others here.

Do any of your port lights open?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Hello Jim ,
    you can play with microsoft office word, there is "word art" where you can type in a curved tamplate and play with the curve until it fits ,I attach a sample
    hope it makes sense.Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by John Husky View Post
    A friend of mine is a professional carver and has done a lot of signs. He would use an old computer and a word processor program. He could choose the font and add crown or other shape then print it full size on accordion style computer paper. Then he’d transfer it to the wood with carbon paper. I don’t know if this info helps you or not, it’s clear you don’t need help. This project is a real inspiration for me and many others here.

Quote Originally Posted by wood1 View Post
    Hello Jim ,
    you can play with microsoft office word, there is "word art" where you can type in a curved tamplate and play with the curve until it fits ,I attach a sample
    hope it makes sense.Capture.JPG

Thanks, guys, this is what I had in mind to do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jim

I would have suggested similar, Jim, completely sans computer. I never learned how to work a computer well enough to do that type stuff.

Ah, well…

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Do any of your port lights open?
    The six elliptical lights are fixed. There will be an opening light on the front of the cabin and a large rectangular light in the aft cabin bulkhead, through which plates of delicious food will be handed to the wet and hungry crew.

There will be two cowl vents on the forward deck which will pipe air into the cabin.

Lastly is an opening skylight and maybe a mushroom vent in the head.

And the hatch.