• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBSebens
    No Member
    • Jan 2008

Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Originally posted by Jim Ledger
    It could have been done in a winters afternoon, Mike. Light the furnace, make the pattern and mold it while the metals melting, pour, do over steps three and four. As it happened I stretched it over a couple of days.

... so jealous ...
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

El Toro Dinghy Springline
    12’ San Francisco Pelican Sounder
    Laguna 18

Comment

• Jim Ledger
      • Nov 2006

Bolted up...

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-14-2017, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Duncan Gibbs
        Ninety percent sandpaper
        • Oct 2007

Looking good Jim! I'm assuming that the lower bolts on the EA casting go all the way through to the vertical curvey flange of the newer cast angle, and that the two lower shots are 'in-progress' so to speak? Or is this one of you hidden through bolt tapped and welded tricks?

Merry Christmas mate!
        Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
        Mirror 30141
        Looe
        Dragon KA93

Comment

• Paul Girouard
          Banned
          • May 2005

Originally posted by Duncan Gibbs

Or is this one of you hidden through bolt tapped and welded tricks?
          Maybe let in and thus hidden beneath the angle iron?

Comment

• Breakaway
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Paul Girouard

Maybe let in and thus hidden beneath the angle iron?
            I'd think the lower bolts would connect to or through the angle he cast, otherwise what's the point of that angle in the first place?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
            There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• Paul Girouard
              Banned
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Breakaway
              I'd think the lower bolts would connect to or through the angle he cast, otherwise what's the point of that angle in the first place?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
              That woods pretty stout, maybe you're right. May sentence had a question mark at the end of it. But from what the photo shows and the cast part Jim made had no hole , nor bolt on it, and there's no sign of a tack weld on the cast piece, so my guess is what it is.

Mr. Ledger may sort it out at some point , maybe he's in the house having a Christmas snort?

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                • Nov 2006

The bolts are tapped into he bronze angle, run through, then ground and filed flush so they can only be seen by close inspection.

This was done solely to hide the fact that the holes were drilled through the timber too low and the nuts would have looked "off".

It's a sickness, I tell ya.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Comment

• Rich Jones
                  What boat to build next?
                  • Apr 2009

The bolts are tapped into he bronze angle, run through, then ground and filed flush so they can only be seen by close inspection.

This was done solely to hide the fact that the holes were drilled through the timber too low and the nuts would have looked "off".

It's a sickness, I tell ya.

Merry Christmas, y'all.
                  I had the same question about these bolts, but , of course, Jim had it all worked out. Mind-boggling attention to detail!!
                  I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                  Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                    • Nov 2006

Engine template...

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-14-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                      • Nov 2006

The engine beds again blocked in position for scribing The template gives an easy visual reference of how much wood needs to be removed from the tops of the floor timbers to allow the engine to fit.

The template indicating that the engine beds need to be notched for the flywheel to clear.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Duncan Gibbs
                        Ninety percent sandpaper
                        • Oct 2007

[1]The bolts are tapped into he bronze angle, run through, then ground and filed flush so they can only be seen by close inspection.

[2]It's a sickness, I tell ya.

[3]Merry Christmas, y'all.
                        1. I must win a prize or something? A box of Angelique plane shavings?...

2. It's The Sickness. Official name and all!

3. "Y'all?" For Hebbin's sake man! You're LawngkIsland! (Right back attcha too!)
                        Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
                        Mirror 30141
                        Looe
                        Dragon KA93

Comment

• Duncan Gibbs
                          Ninety percent sandpaper
                          • Oct 2007

Engine template...

Now, I'm wondering whether the triumvirate of holes on the aft bedding flanges are there for flexible arrangements, or there because they are all required to be used? Your beds appear to be softwood as well, or are they templates to be replaced with something harder and more expensive?
                          Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
                          Mirror 30141
                          Looe
                          Dragon KA93

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Duncan Gibbs
                            Now, I'm wondering whether the triumvirate of holes on the aft bedding flanges are there for flexible arrangements, or there because they are all required to be used? Your beds appear to be softwood as well, or are they templates to be replaced with something harder and more expensive?
                            Only one bolt is required in the aft lugs. I see no reason why the inner holes should not be used, but we won't be doing that here.

The engine beds are indeed, softwood. I wish that the pieces were a little longer and wider, but they are what they are. I might use them or I might not. They are old growth Longleaf Pine, a wood with some good qualities where engine beds are concerned. They reached their equilibrium moisture content decades ago, so there'll be little seasonal movement up and down. The wood is dense, rot-resistant, strong and not likely to crush under the lugs. In addition, it has more resilience than a hardwood, a good quality under a thumpy little engine like the Sabb.

I have some more Longleaf, but it would have to be glued up to size.
                            Last edited by Jim Ledger; 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Figment
                              Gluten Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2001

Speaking of "thumpy", from much of the above I infer that you're not making any accommodation for vibration-damping engine mounts.

Is there simply no way to accommodate them, or would they just be a joke on the Sabb?
                              People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Figment
                                Speaking of "thumpy", from much of the above I infer that you're not making any accommodation for vibration-damping engine mounts.

Is there simply no way to accommodate them, or would they just be a joke on the Sabb?
                                Hi Mike.

I'll be bolting the engine directly to the beds, actually to a couple of half inch thick wood pads on top of the beds. This is in case the keel, floors and beds expand under the engine necessitating a lowering of the engine after a period of time.

Any kind of vibration dampers will reduce the possible thickness of the beds. Because of the shallowness of the hull and the impossibility of moving the engine forward there is not much wiggle room where the floors under the engine and the beds themselves are concerned.

Besides, that Sabb thump is like a heartbeat, a nice steady slow heartbeat, and it's kind of enjoyable, especially at 300 RPM.

Comment

Working...