Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119128129
Results 4,481 to 4,497 of 4497

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

"I cut as close as I dared, a sawzall being a rather wild and uncontrolable beast,"

To 1/8" +- . Happy Father's Day, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Finishing up with a chisel, getting closer to a clean, eight sided hole...

with that much sheer mass in the work I would think paring down all that endgrain wouldn't be too terrible a task, love how all the structure buttresses that hole!

Here's the situation, familiar to many here, I'm sure...
    Hey, at least your not laying on your back, in a shallow puddle of oily bilge water, with a flashlight in your teeth, and only enough clearance to work with one hand.

Seriously: Do you feel kinship with the wood, with the boat, Jim? Or, is it all a means to an end? Or, is the build a means to one end and the boat a means to another? Or...?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Finishing up with a chisel, getting closer to a clean, eight sided hole...

Is the mast to have mast wedges? Is the hole tapered to suit?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    "I cut as close as I dared, a sawzall being a rather wild and uncontrolable beast,"

To 1/8" +- . Happy Father's Day, Jim

Thank you, Sir, and the same to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    with that much sheer mass in the work I would think paring down all that endgrain wouldn't be too terrible a task,

It's like butter, Skeg...with my magic chisel, the one I pulled out of that rock as a mere boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

Seriously: Do you feel kinship with the wood, with the boat, Jim? Or, is it all a means to an end?

Kevin
    Some of my best friends are planks, Kevin, some quite thick. Sad story...for years I've been seeing a railroad tie. She was old school, you know, pressure treated creosote, the kind they don't make any more. I'd see her over by the Station Road grade crossing. I don't know what first caught my eye, but you easily pick her out of the pile, there was a certain something I can't explain. We would see each other whenever I could get away, no matter when she was always waiting, sometimes we'd only see each other for a few minutes, sometimes we'd spend the whole day together. They were happy times. About a month ago I stopped by with a can of Cuprinol, she always liked that, but she was nowhere to be found, only a brown rectangle in the weeds where she lived. No note, but then again, there never is.

I've tried to forget, spent one night with a bundle of shingles, Perfections, and another with a Hemlock four by four, and one day I picked up a nice bit of driftwood at Hot Dog Beach, you know the place, I'm sure. But every morning I woke up sad and ashamed and full of splinters.

Maybe I've said too much. Means to an end, I like to think not, but in this life, who can tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Is the mast to have mast wedges? Is the hole tapered to suit?

Yes, Nick, the mast will be wedged in place. To that end I have been chiseling the routed hole tapered. In the picture below you can see the work-in-progress. The ink lines around the opening are an eighth of an inch outside the routed opening. About two inches down inside the opening is another ink line. The space between these lines has been chiseled into tapered flats.

As you know, this allows a set of properly tapered wedges to bear fully on both the mast and the inside of the 'ole.

Yes, Nick, the mast will be wedged in place. To that end I have been chiseling the routed hole tapered. In the picture below you can see the work-in-progress. The ink lines around the opening are an eighth of an inch outside the routed opening. About two inches down inside the opening is another ink line. The space between these lines has been chiseled into tapered flats.

As you know, this allows a set of properly tapered wedges to bear fully on both the mast and the inside of the 'ole.

Excellent.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Beautiful work, as usual! Will you cast a bronze collar for this Jim or ..... ? I'm thinking it might be a good time to take your mind off the planks.

Rick

Some of my best friends are planks, Kevin, some quite thick. Sad story...for years I've been seeing a railroad tie. She was old school, you know, pressure treated creosote, the kind they don't make any more. I'd see her over by the Station Road grade crossing. I don't know what first caught my eye, but you easily pick her out of the pile, there was a certain something I can't explain. We would see each other whenever I could get away, no matter when she was always waiting, sometimes we'd only see each other for a few minutes, sometimes we'd spend the whole day together. They were happy times. About a month ago I stopped by with a can of Cuprinol, she always liked that, but she was nowhere to be found, only a brown rectangle in the weeds where she lived. No note, but then again, there never is.

I've tried to forget, spent one night with a bundle of shingles, Perfections, and another with a Hemlock four by four, and one day I picked up a nice bit of driftwood at Hot Dog Beach, you know the place, I'm sure. But every morning I woke up sad and ashamed and full of splinters.

Maybe I've said too much. Means to an end, I like to think not, but in this life, who can tell?
    Most of the craftsmen I have known were poets, but this ^ is closing in on brilliance.

(Some years ago I watched a rheumy eyed old shipwright probably 80 odd years, shape a spar from an old discarded telephone pole for a museum display of square rigging. He used a draw knife and a plane and went at it every day all day for a week or so. All covered with creosote it turned out to be something special and is still standing. We speculated on what species and it was maybe Chestnut but who knows? He was plaqued with splinters. And then he was gone, I never saw him again.
    You reminded me of this old friend, and now that I am closing on his perspective it brought a smile... Thank you)

My shoulders hurt just from looking at those overhead-chiseling photos.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Mine too and I keep wiping chips out of my eyes as well.

Rick

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Jim, thought I would drop in for a change rather than just visit occasionally in awed silence.

Commiserations on that old creosote plank drifting out of your life like that... the bitch!

Let's put the mast hole on the back burner and give my poor shoulder some time to recuperate.

You may recall from a few days ago the scarfing of one sheer plank in preparation for the splicing on of a new plank end. Let us continue down that path awhile...

I made a pattern of the new plank end from a piece if quarter inch thick Yellow Cedar, nice and thin for an easy bend and it slips easily behind the existing plank. However, I need the full thickness of the new plank at the end in order to be able to mark and cut the stem rabbet to receive the new full-thickness plank. I glued on a bit to make up the thickness.

This is what the end of the plank would look like if it stopped in the existing rabbet, a quarter inch shoulder protruding...

Using the template as a guide and cutting with the swift, sure strokes borne of long practice the rabbet was notched to allow the sheer plank to land further forward. Not just further forward, mind, but the precise amount further forward that will bring the outer surface of the sheer plank into contact with the side of the stem.

Please hold your applause, there's more to come...

Breath bates...
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Beautiful work, as usual! Will you cast a bronze collar for this Jim or ..... ? I'm thinking it might be a good time to take your mind off the planks.

Rick

I'm thinking of some sort of collar, Rick, something with a groove around the edge that will anchor the bottom of a mast boot. Another advantage to a cast ring is to secure the edge of the deck glass, as I don't want to run the glass down into the mast hole. I'd rather leave it as it is and seal it with much CPES and paint over.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Most of the craftsmen I have known were poets, but this ^ is closing in on brilliance.

(Some years ago I watched a rheumy eyed old shipwright probably 80 odd years, shape a spar from an old discarded telephone pole for a museum display of square rigging. He used a draw knife and a plane and went at it every day all day for a week or so. All covered with creosote it turned out to be something special and is still standing. We speculated on what species and it was maybe Chestnut but who knows? He was plaqued with splinters. And then he was gone, I never saw him again.
    You reminded me of this old friend, and now that I am closing on his perspective it brought a smile... Thank you)

Thanks for the story, Jake, a smile was the intention and if it stirred up a good memory, so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    My shoulders hurt just from looking at those overhead-chiseling photos.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Mine too and I keep wiping chips out of my eyes as well.

Rick

The chiseling wasn't so bad. I did get a bit of an uncomfortable feeling with the sawzall back-and-forthing a few inches in front of my nose, though, and, yeah, chips in the eye, having somehow forgotten my safety goggles back on the bench and being loath to unjacknife myself yet again to fetch 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMCarney View Post
    Breath bates...

So long as it's your breath that's bating, Brian, I'm fine with that. You're gonna have to bate a while longer, 'coz I got nuttin' yet.

Cheers, all,

Jim

I did some initial fairing of the forward deck to tighten things up a bit. This was prompted by some doubts encountered while preparing to splice the forward ends of the sheer planks. While I could easily have left the top edge of the spiced planks high, with some material to plane off, the rabbet in the stem, the top termination of the rabbet, has to be spot on. You might think that that would have been settled long ago, and it was, but the addition of all that deck framing material raised a question. There's a lot of wood coming together at the apex, large chunks of wood, interlocked pieces that might...or might not, land exactly where you want them. All this despite taking much care all along.

So the question becomes, "Can I raise the sheer at the rabbet by an eighth to save having to remove that much material from the foredeck framing, and could this be done without creating an unfairness in the sheer, and is there sufficient material in all places to accomplish this?". So, I backtrack and start the fairing of the forward deck, tightening things up, which gives me the opportunity to grok the many factors at play here, taking care to give them all consideration and weight, without missing anything, before taking the irremediable step of cutting the stem rabbet an eighth higher.

That's boatbuilding!

Here's the view from the foredeck of one of the benches below...

I've decided to give the entire deck a rough fairing, to insure that any fairing I do on the forward deck will be fair with the rest. As it's a job that needed to be done sooner or later there's good reason to get it out of the way now.

In order to be able to plane those deck beams that are just hanging out in space I made a system of supports out of rough lumber. This holds the beams quite securely in the correct position, and will remain in place until the decking is installed. Because the deck beams abut the frames the supports are halved, top and bottom, on opposite sides, to allow the supports to lie plumb and fay neatly with both the frame below and the deck beam above.

Important safety tip, if you're doing this yourself! Make sure you screw the supports to the deck beams from underneath! Screwing from the top will make the screws difficult to remove once the deck is in place. Not impossible, but you'll be unwinding them with a stubby screwdriver instead of a power drill.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 06-22-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Here's the view from the foredeck of one of the benches below...

Seeing those drawer glides on your bench reminds me of why it took me 6 years to finish a considerably smaller and less complex boat, damn work keeps getting in the way!