Page 127 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2777117126127128 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,445 of 4496

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

I guess paint was inventible, but I sure liked looking at the wood!

Amazed with every post!

WgMkr

Mr. Ledger looking very fine!

Alex

Been too long since we've seen photos of your gorgeous build. How about some action shots?

JRM

Quote Originally Posted by Wagemaker View Post
    I guess paint was inventible, but I sure liked looking at the wood!

Amazed with every post!

WgMkr

I don't believe I've had the pleasure, Wagemaker, welcome to my thread. Yes, the wood look was nice, and now we have to go through a period of paint/no paint mish-mash. Unfortunately, having a bright finished boat is not an option around here, the Summer sun is just too hot. On the bright side the paint does tend to highlight the details and shapes if the boats components as well as imparting a feeling of solidity and providing a smooth, easily-cleaned surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Low View Post
    Mr. Ledger looking very fine!

Thank you, Mr. Low, and how have you been keeping yourself? Any new projects to report, photos of old ones? Inquiring minds wonder...

With eleven or a dozen coats of paint, I lost count, things are smootthing up a bit. Today saw the fitting of the shelf...remember the shelf, and its edge. The edge has a couple of coats of varnish and will be getting more before final fastening. The shelf itself was glued to the frames with 5200. The aft end of the shelf will be supported by the forepeak bulkhead, which can now be installed.

You commented on the order of things earlier Jim, what a nightmare. Glad there's someone with your ability in charge here.

Long-time reader and admirer of this stunning project, and I will shamelessly admit to filing away many of your tutorials along the way! Out of curiosity, will you need to paint the forward ends of planks as they're hung now that you're closing off the forepeak?

From a humble beginner, please feel free to continue sharing what must seem mundane tutorials!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    You commented on the order of things earlier Jim, what a nightmare. Glad there's someone with your ability in charge here.
    Not a nightmare, Andrew, just an orderly sequence of steps leading to a predetermined conclusion...the stuff of daydreams.

Quote Originally Posted by schoonerjay View Post
    Long-time reader and admirer of this stunning project, and I will shamelessly admit to filing away many of your tutorials along the way! Out of curiosity, will you need to paint the forward ends of planks as they're hung now that you're closing off the forepeak?

From a humble beginner, please feel free to continue sharing what must seem mundane tutorials!

Welcome aboard, Jay! I continue the mini-tutorials hoping someone is getting something they can use, your comments are encouraging and I thank you for your interest. To answer your question, the planks in the forepeak area will have to be painted after they are hung but it won't be too difficult

Here's something I worked on today, scoring plywood to resemble square-edge tongue and groove boards. This is one of the bulkheads, and you might recall them having fake vee-groove boards glued to the opposite sides. You can see a couple in the photo, sitting on the floor. This is the back side that will be the interior of a hanging locker. The scoring breaks up the appearance of the ply and adds some visual interest. I've done this on cabin overheads to good effect.

The scribing was laid out corresponging to the planks on the opposite side. A straightedge was clamped on the marks and a scratch awl used to drag a groove into the surface of the ply. Under a few coats of paint the marks give a nice subtle hint of planking.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 04-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Some cheating!! Thank goodness for that!

All looking terrific, as usual - lovely work!

Rick

Jim, as always visiting you was a great pleasure. I am always amazed by your craftsmanship and attention to detail. Since I leased out my boatshop and retired I had the time to go through boxes of old pictures that I took of my boat building projects from the last 35 years. Guess what, I am not in any of them! So here is a picture of you and your beautiful boat. As I have stated in the past this boat is much bigger than pictures show. These shots are from last December. Regards, Rich =http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/Gail_061/media/DSC_0823_zpslt3qw7fg.jpg.html][/URL]

Jim, I just received a very nice card, thanks - Also see your PM's

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Not a nightmare, Andrew, just an orderly sequence of steps leading to a predetermined conclusion...the stuff of daydreams.

Welcome aboard, Jay! I continue the mini-tutorials hoping someone is getting something they can use, your comments are encouraging and I thank you for your interest. To answer your question, the planks in the forepeak area will have to be painted after they are hung but it won't be too difficult

Here's something I worked on today, scoring plywood to resemble square-edge tongue and groove boards. This is one of the bulkheads, and you might recall them having fake vee-groove boards glued to the opposite sides. You can see a couple in the photo, sitting on the floor. This is the back side that will be the interior of a hanging locker. The scoring breaks up the appearance of the ply and adds some visual interest. I've done this on cabin overheads to good effect.

The scribing was laid out corresponging to the planks on the opposite side. A straightedge was clamped on the marks and a scratch awl used to drag a groove into the surface of the ply. Under a few coats of paint the marks give a nice subtle hint of planking.

Jim

so much fun stuff here. I'll be borrowing the "scribe lines on ply" to make my centerboard box on Centennial look less industrial, and monolithic, thanks!

I hate to bump thread with nothing new to report, but there have been some questions raised elsewhere concerning the recent lack of activity on the boat. I'd like to put your minds at rest on that account. Life would be sweet if building the boat was the only demand made on me, but it's not, there are other project afoot which have no place on these pages, and other people with legitimate demands of the fruits of my labor. Not least of which is the occasional replenishment of the coffers with the very means to further advance this wonderful endeavor. Long I have waited for a benefactor to free me from the mundane labor to which I am so accustomed, but it seems that my wait is in vain.

Still, the mind goes where it will and fresh plots hatched while the long ditch is dug. The patient reader will be rewarded anew should even a small fraction of these pipe dreams materialize at my hand.

Stay tuned, I'll be back.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Some cheating!! Thank goodness for that!

All looking terrific, as usual - lovely work!

Rick
    Thanks, Rick.

Richie Scheffer, thanks for posting the photos, it's always a pleasure to have you stop by. I clicked on the second photo and got sent to your Photobucket album. Great stuff, of interest to many here, clamming, oyster boats, gunning, dogs, hot rods. Great stuff, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    so much fun stuff here. I'll be borrowing the "scribe lines on ply" to make my centerboard box on Centennial look less industrial, and monolithic, thanks!
    I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, Dan, feel free to use whatever works for you. Best of Luck with your build!

Jim

Thanks for posting, Jim. I stopped into the Forum this morning prior to digging into a pile of paperwork required to fulfill the needs of those dependent upon my own endeavors. As our Antipodean members might say, " Onya, mate!"

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    Have I missed something?

Having been absent for a while I came upon this Thread. I then checked your catboat thread Jim, it appears to have ground to a halt.

Then there is "while the launch, face it, you know it's fifty/fifty it'll never happen..."

I have indicated in previous threads that if one doesn't stand in the craft with a board thickness between them and the sea bed, everything else is rendered "cosmetic".

Read my PM.
    I was prompted to post the enquiry above Jim owing to the theme that was emerging on that Thread. (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-half-the-work

You last posted 04/22 it was 05/28 when I came back online and was unable to find anyone enquiring as to your absence, and 38 days seemed an inordinately long time for no one to care about your whereabouts?

I am glad that my concerns as to your welfare were unjustified.
    Last edited by Chippie; 05-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks, Kevin, and thank you Chippie for your concern.

Here's something, a centerboard winch offa Ebay, no other bidders, just about gave it away. Not that I'd gloat or anything, but "gee, Dad, it's a Merriman!". "Shaddup, boy, keep polishing"

Some of you might recall another centerboard winch, also a Merriman, which puts me in a tough spot having to decide between the two. Yanno what, that's a decision for another day.

In other news I'm fiddly-f**kin' around with the hanging lockers trying to get all the balls in the air at once before I starts nailing things down for good. I know it ain't much, but you have to keep the dream alive even while it's on the back burner. You can see the hanging rod being adjusted for optimum sweatshirt storage. So many details...aaaaaaggghhhh, I just had the idea of making custom coathangers out of 3/16" bronze rod! Just popped into my head. Make it stop...please, somebody help me! Where's the "off" switch! On the other hand, a custom hanger would get my fine garments up another two inches at least.

Y'all behave yourselves, now, and don't go gittin' cranky. I know it ain't easy for some of you. I'll be back!

Jim "the Legend" Ledger
    Last edited by Jim Ledger; 06-05-2017 at 12:58 PM.

On the other hand, a custom hanger would get my fine garments up another two inches at least
    Yah...y'd have to polish them hangers though, lest the boys at the marina nickname you, "Old Green Shoulders," or, " Patina Jim."

kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Yah...y'd have to polish them hangers though, lest the boys at the marina nickname you, "Old Green Shoulders," or, " Patina Jim."

kevin

Hey, Kevin, if that's their best shot then they're either lacking in observational skills or imagination...or both. I'm a limping and torn, mussy-haired, frayed cuff, droopy drawed, bilge scruff from way back. It's a rare day I'm sporting less than a dozen different blobs of goop, both fresh and seasoned. The dust alone blowing downwind of me is enough to make 'em pop a couple of Claritin and run for cover. Plenty of that sh*t's toxic, you better believe. I've still got enough clam-tonging callus left to pop the top off a beer bottle in my palm. I ain't allowed in the front door..or the back for that matter. Nope, it's down the basement and drop the duds in the laundry basket and come up the stairs wrapped in the dogs towel. One time my daughter took me to get a mani-pedi. That was the last time. They see me now they lock the door and turn the sign around.

Ya gotta wear that sh*t like a medal, representing, as it does the f**kin' work of a lifetime.

Here's something for you, patient readers, the obligatory shot of a pile of half-milled lumber. This is the beginning of the face frames for the hanging lockers, and the two louvered doors that hang within...

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 06-05-2017 at 05:25 PM.

ooooohhh Louvred doors. I canna wait.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Hey, Kevin, if that's their best shot then they're either lacking in observational skills or imagination...or both. I'm a limping and torn, mussy-haired, frayed cuff, droopy drawed, bilge scruff from way back. It's a rare day I'm sporting less than a dozen different blobs of goop, both fresh and seasoned. The dust alone blowing downwind of me is enough to make 'em pop a couple of Claritin and run for cover. Plenty of that sh*t's toxic, you better believe. I've still got enough clam-tonging callus to pop the top off a beer bottle in my palm. I ain't allowed in the front door..or the back for that matter. Nope, it's down the basement and drop the duds in the laundry basket and come up the stairs wrapped in the dogs towel. One time my daughter took me to get a mani-pedi. That was the last time. They see me now they lock the door and turn the sign around.

Ya gotta wear that sh*t like a medal, representing, as it does the f**kin' work of a lifetime.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    ooooohhh Louvred doors. I canna wait.
    I'm afraid I got a little ahead of myself. Sailor, and the louver doors will have to wait. I've got too many pieces in clamps at the moment and I'm going to do some permanent fastening, particularly the forepeak bulkhead. No matter, though, the lumber is milled and thoughts have turned to the design and construction of louver doors.

The bulkhead is the key to further progress on two fronts, the deck and the lockers. I still have a few small details to finish on the bulkhead before installation.

The shelf in the forepeak need support on its aft ends. The shelf supports are a half inch square and will seat in routed grooves in the bulkhead. These supports will be entirely hidden behind the shelf lip.

In other news, I found a nice anchor light for the top of the mast. Ebay again, thirty bucks, chromed bronze with real glass. Judging from the newspaper in the box this unit has been sitting on the shelf since the Sixties. Had I done the same I might be in better shape now. But I didn't.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 06-07-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Jim, nice find on the anchor light - will it stay incandescent or will you convert to LED ?

Rick

I need an index for this thread. More than once, I have wanted to go back and look at something you did. The thread is so big now that it is hard to find things! This time, I'm trying to find posts on how you cupped the inside of some of your planks.
    Last edited by chuckt; 06-08-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    Chuck Thompson

That Tracey has had such a bad influence on you Jim!

Nice scores on the winch and light!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Dont be surprised if Jim has one of those old cast iron shutter jigs for his shaper with the big clock type escapement that advances the stiles and cuts the slots....

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Dont be surprised if Jim has one of those old cast iron shutter jigs for his shaper with the big clock type escapement that advances the stiles and cuts the slots....
    I had to downsize a while back, Willin', and the old shutter machine got sold off along with a lot of those other fantastic machines I used to use. These days I'm just bumbling along as best I can trying to coax out an acceptable result out an old worn out Unisaw. Of course, it was me wore it out, so you could say we grew up together. A right pair we make.

I remember seeing a film back in the Seventies about a water powered shutter mill in New England. The place had been closed for decades and a couple of guys bought it and got it back into production. This might be the place, but the film was much better..

...and then there's Bens Mill...a classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KJbRHO76s

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Jim, nice find on the anchor light - will it stay incandescent or will you convert to LED ?

Rick
    Hiya, Rick! I was going to use the lights just as they came, but now I see I'm going to have to do some homework on LED's to see what the advantage is and what's involved.

Speaking of navigation lights check out these sidelights. Ebay again, I forget how much but it was probably around a hunnert-fifty for the pair. Oh, yeah, they're sweet! I don't care what you're driving, my sidelights gonna blow you out of the water, Bub!

Anybody building a boat would be well advised to set up some saved searches, and the longer you've got the more chance of turning up something good. Sidelights and anchor lights are fairly easy to find, but decent stern lights and steaming lights are more scarce. I'm thinking of making my own. All I need is a decent lens and the rest could be fabricated from castings and welded sheet bronze. We're not there yet, tho, so there's still time for something good to appear, but it's good to have a back-up plan.

Jim

LEDs can be purchased to fit quite a variety of traditional sockets, including marine lamps. I've had success with this outfit: DrLED
    -Dave

Set yourself up as a sternlight and steaming light manufacturer Jim. And once you're done with it all, send me your leftover Black Locust.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Jim, I only suggest the possibility of LED conversion to save you a trip up the mast to replace a bulb - In my non-marine experience
    LED's last longer than incandescent bulbs, and use less electricity to power them

Rick

But install the wiring the right way around unless you're fond of heights. DAMHIK.

Rick

Good 'catch' Rick (RFNK) - Jim, I should have mentioned that LED's need to be wired with correct polarity, or they will not light up
    must have been a senior moment

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    But install the wiring the right way around unless you're fond of heights. DAMHIK.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Good 'catch' Rick (RFNK) - Jim, I should have mentioned that LED's need to be wired with correct polarity, or they will not light up
    must have been a senior moment

Rick
    Now theres a little nugget of info, thanks Rick's

For 7 bucks you can get a LED bulb online that will plug right into that socket. Get the highest wattage you can, probably about 4-6 watts. You can get them set in resin and fully sealed. Supposedly they go 50000 hours, which is quite a few nights at anchor. And the whole thing for 1/10th the power draw. This is the kind of technological advancement I can get behind.

Chuck, forget an index for this thread..... Just sit back and take the pleasure of sifting through the whole thing every time you need something. It's pleasant enough to do.
    -Henry David Thoreau-