Page 124 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2474114123124125 ... LastLast
Results 4,306 to 4,340 of 4668

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

You could cast yourself some nifty tapered washers to use instead......
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Just letting you know I'm still lurking . . . watching everything you do. Looking great!
    Chuck Thompson

Hey Jim, love the bespoke fasteners... are you bedding these parts as you do final assembly? I know you pre-finished or at least sealed them, sorry to be so nosey, Jim

Noyce!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The forward deck frame requires a lot of bolting. The hanging knees alone need 42 bolts, mast partner to sheer clamp, eight bolts, and then there's the king plank to the breasthook, partner, deck beams, a few more through the frame tops and sheer clamp...it adds up.

Many of these will come from my secret supply of old bronze brought back from the land of Ebay. Many more will be made up as required from bronze rod stock. One of the things that makes bolt-making somewhat feasible is this threading die which I found on Craigslist for a hunnert bucks. A few tries threading with a regular die holder will have you convinced that there's got to be a better way. The problem is getting started square, because, if you don't the threads will soon start to run to one side. This threader solves that by having a holder that lines the rod up with the die. The other advantages are leverage and racheting. I've spent a lifetime pissing good money away on fool things like this...and look where it's gotten me, Johnny Threadsall over here, "need something threaded? Yeah, bring it round" That vise? Parted with cash there, as well, sucker for that stuff.

Hey, you see that bit of threaded rod with the nut on it? Yeah? It's a depth gauge for the bolts. Tap it in the hole, run the nut up and there's the exact length you want...exact, because who wants to have to cut of the end of a bolt? Good luck with that most of the time.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 01:11 PM.

The dumb end of the bolts is an upset rivet head over a lathe-turned rove. These roves are a pain in the ass to make and wastefull as hell, but they do the job and keep me off the Internet for a couple of hours at least. The roves have a small chamfer on the center hole facing up. The outer face of the roves are tapered, but there's a little flat left where the rivet sits. The rod is 3/8" silicon bronze, smacked with a good-sized hammer until it forms a pleasing roundish dome, tight at the edges, no splitting. There would have been about an eighth of an inch of rod projecting to make that head.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Jim do you anneal the bronze before forming the rivet heads or just lay in with the hammer ?

I once heated bronze rod red hot and it just got crumbly. I'm not sure hot hot it has to get to anneal. No matter, though, the rivet heads are all formed up cold without any annealing. You have to realize, though, that you can rivet much easier in a vise than in position on the boat...unless the work is out in the open, like a floor timber to a keel. In that cast the drift will likely take some hammering in and the rivet head can be domed up when it's about a half inch from home, and won't that look nice!

This one of the reasons Australian boatbuilders used easily worked copper instead of (expensive) alloys. A 45 foot prawn trawler would be all copper fastened, the largest size in the backbone being 1/2''. Nuts were gunmetal (leaded bronze) which may be the same as your red brass?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunmetal
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    Hey Jim, love the bespoke fasteners... are you bedding these parts as you do final assembly? I know you pre-finished or at least sealed them, sorry to be so nosey, Jim

Thanks, guys.

I bedded the breasthook in PL Premium construction adhesive. As these parts are absolutely non-removable once installed I see no problem with using an adhesive here. Even if this part were bedded in Dolphinite it would still have to be cut out to effect a repair due to the crossed bolts and drifts. Even if you could somehow remove every visible bolt, which you can't due to buried heads, there still would be some invisible drifts holding the piece in. And even then, assuming you could melt the fasteners out in their entirety, the breasthook would still be stuck fast by the layers of construction added on top.

So I glued the sucker in, call me a bad carpenter.

Go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post

Go on.
    I'm a little surprised you didn't employ the Japanese "suri awase" technique when marrying the breasthook to sheer clamp, preferably followed with blind floating dovetails..... I mean c'mon, there are standards to uphold here on the WBF

Thanks, guys.

I bedded the breasthook in PL Premium construction adhesive. As these parts are absolutely non-removable once installed I see no problem with using an adhesive here. Even if this part were bedded in Dolphinite it would still have to be cut out to effect a repair due to the crossed bolts and drifts. Even if you could somehow remove every visible bolt, which you can't due to buried heads, there still would be some invisible drifts holding the piece in. And even then, assuming you could melt the fasteners out in their entirety, the breasthook would still be stuck fast by the layers of construction added on top.

Go on.

I believe the phrase is Glued, Screwed, and Tattooed.

I pity the poor soul who would ever endeavor to replace anything in the forward 1/3 of the boat.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    This one of the reasons Australian boatbuilders used easily worked copper instead of (expensive) alloys. A 45 foot prawn trawler would be all copper fastened, the largest size in the backbone being 1/2''. Nuts were gunmetal (leaded bronze) which may be the same as your red brass?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunmetal
    I thought they were just stingy.

Rick

The bolt pattern for the hanging knees. The vertical drifts have nuts and washers on their upper ends, counterbored into the top of the partner. I particularly like the outboard drift as the slant really draws the knee home. The bolts into the face I've placed as best I can, the problem being that the forward face of the frame is quite narrow up here in the bow and there's only a narrow band of possibilty for the bolt placement

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I thought they were just stingy.

Rick
    Ask David what he thinks Rick, I seem to remember copper being quite malleable being a consideration.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Longtime lurkers might recall the making of a couple of plywood shelves for the forepeak. They've recently been dragged out and given a brush off and a coat of primer. Only now...only after the last bolt has been driven home on the hanging knees, can this shelf be installed.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:13 PM.

You are making some good progress here, Jim! Looking good

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    You are making some good progress here, Jim! Looking good

Rick

Thanks, Rick, I'm glad to have that piece of work behind me. The way is clear for some real progress now.

The two forepeak shelves need a filler piece on their forward end to connect them into one. This filler needs to be fitted in between the shelves after the shelves are already in place. Here's the filler, with a rabbeted edge, being fitted to the shelves.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Ask David what he thinks Rick, I seem to remember copper being quite malleable being a consideration.
    I was trying to be funny. Yes, I'm sure copper was preferred for that reason.

Rick

The two forepeak shelves need a filler piece on their forward end to connect them into one. This filler needs to be fitted in between the shelves after the shelves are already in place. Here's the filler, with a rabbeted edge, being fitted to the shelves.

I'm getting vicarious satisfaction seeing your forethought RE: order of operations paying off in these follow on steps. I would find it hard not to feel smug being able to fit this keystone piece by striking a few lines, well done, definitely a master class on process and practice!

I'm getting vicarious satisfaction seeing your forethought RE: order of operations paying off in these follow on steps. I would find it hard not to feel smug being able to fit this keystone piece by striking a few lines, well done, definitely a master class on process and practice!

"Aw, shoot, it ain't that hard", he drawled, spitting into the sawdust. A smug, self-satisfied grin stole across one side of his mug, disappearing 'fore you was sure you seen it. "Them's mighty kind words, all the same."

The shelf will have a radiused shape cut into the insert.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:16 PM.

"Aw, shoot, it ain't that hard", he drawled, spitting into the sawdust. A smug, self-satisfied grin stole across one side of his mug, disappearing 'fore you was sure you seen it. "Them's mighty kind words, all the same."

The shelf will have a radiused shape cut into the insert.

Well, there it is.

Spitting is a NASTY habit, Mr. Ledger.

I always enjoy coming here to learn how it's done. The whole package, , though mean. The building, sure, but also the documenting. This thread is as wonderful because of you as the work you're doing, sir.
    I chuckle often at your brand of humor, and always seethe with envy at your pictures.

I really like the picture in 4327. Very lovely.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Well, there it is.

Spitting is a NASTY habit, Mr. Ledger.

I always enjoy coming here to learn how it's done. The whole package, , though mean. The building, sure, but also the documenting. This thread is as wonderful because of you as the work you're doing, sir.
    I chuckle often at your brand of humor, and always seethe with envy at your pictures.

I really like the picture in 4327. Very lovely.

Peace,
    Robert
    Thanks, Rob, it's always good to hear from you. And yes, I agree, it is a good thread. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that just reading this thread will make you a better woodworker. Yup, it's that good. Somethings going to rub off..one day you'll catch yourself doing one of my tricks and mebbe you think, "Whoa, Jim was right, this does work better!"

The shelf in the forepeak needs some kind of edge to strengthen the plywood and to keep things in place. The edge is going to be a mahogany lamination, five layers of an eighth of an inch thickness each, for a total thickness of five eighths inch by three and a half inches high.. Here's the glue-up, T III glue

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Tight bend! Did you have to apply some steam to the wood?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Tight bend! Did you have to apply some steam to the wood?
    The laminations bent around without too much trouble. I tried ripping the first lamination at an eighth and it seemed like it would work so I sawed the rest out the same. The laminations were cut on the bandsaw and the saw marks planed off on the bench, by hand, as an experiment.

What type of mahogany?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I almost hurt myself laughing at this, thanks! As for the rest of this magnum opus, I can't say thanks enough.

The bolt pattern for the hanging knees. The vertical drifts have nuts and washers on their upper ends, counterbored into the top of the partner. I particularly like the outboard drift as the slant really draws the knee home. The bolts into the face I've placed as best I can, the problem being that the forward face of the frame is quite narrow up here in the bow and there's only a narrow band of possibilty for the bolt placement
    Just curious what method or fixture you used, given the tight spaces, to align your drill as you drilled the holes out for the bolts here?

Yesterday I posted a thread in People and Places to thank Hawkeye54 for a gift that he sent me. Prior to a few weeks ago we had never spoken, but he had been following this build since the beginning. His first post was on this thread and a few days later he sent me a PM asking if I would like a ships bell for the boat. It seems that some time back he was involved with a build and his father had bought this bell as a present for the boat. I'm not sure what happened to the build but it was never completed, and since then his father had passed away. Rick, for that is his name, somehow thought that I would be able to put the bell to good use, yanno, bells needing to be rung regularly and all.

Here's the thread...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-for-Hawkeye54

And here's the bell! Can you believe this? It's just beautiful! Rick, thank you Sir! I'll do my best to make a suitable setting for this gem! Your generosity is truly heartwarming. Thank you, once again!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    What type of mahogany?
    I believe it's Honduras, Nick. it's one stick out of a pile of gray boards that I found at Habitat for Humanity that had originated in a boatyard. It's got the pinkish tinge and mild texture of Honduras, without the cigar-boxy look of Spanish cedar. There was enough in the pile to do the interior of the catboat. The other half of the pile was teak, and there's no doubt there, nice old-growth stuff, too, and plenty enough for the cockpit deck.

Quote Originally Posted by gvcrew View Post
    Just curious what method or fixture you used, given the tight spaces, to align your drill as you drilled the holes out for the bolts here?
    Good question! The bolts going through the frames were bored into the knee on a drill press, then the knee clamped in place and the holes finished with a hand-held drill. The thing to be careful of here is that the forward face of the frame is much narrower than the aft, and the bolts must be positioned far enough inboard to allow the washer to fit without hitting the planking. This makes the positioning of the bolts rather critical because if you go too far inboard the bolt is too close to the edge of the frame. It helps to make a simple jig out of a plywood scrap to mark the position of the bolts. To make the jig simply cut a rectangle out of one side of the ply scrap. The rectangular cutout need to be just slightly wider than the combined thickness of the frame and knee. Mark the exit point of the bolt on the forward face of the frame by putting a washer on the spot and drawing the center circle. Slide the cutout over the frame and knee and used the edge of the ply to represent the bolts path. When you align the edge of the ply with the exit spot it shows you where to bore on the aft face.

The vertical bolt positions were marked on the face of the knee while the knee was clamped in position, the marks having been sanded off in the photo. But they were there, three slanty lines showing the future paths of the bolts. The knee was taken down and the lines squared across the upper and lower edges of the knee, center points then located and marked with an awl. You then clamp the knee flat on the bench top and place a straight piece of wood along one of the lines on the face. This piece of wood needs to be long enough to overhang both edges of the knee. Using a long auger in the drill, align the auger with the clamped-on straightedge, from the top and from the side. It helps if you can lay your hands on the bench to keep steady. Drill in half way, the go and drill from the other side.

Try it, it's quite easy and works well.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Here's the forpeak shelf. The shelves and insert are completely rabbeted together and are lying flush. The laminated edge has a quarter inch deep groove that captures the edge of the ply shelves.

Before I fasten the shelf in I need to prime and paint the forepeak, as doing so later will require I cut the handle off a brush and paint holding the ferrule.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:23 PM.

dare I ask? what happens at the forward edge? I know it's something clever...

dare I ask? what happens at the forward edge? I know it's something clever...
    As you can see I didn't run the shelf all the way forward to the stem, so, it needs a backstop to prevent things from falling off the front edge. I have a piece of Locust, three quarters thick and five high. This piece has a groove near one edge that will capture the projecting shelf edge. It will be bolted to the front of the first set of frames.

Pictures at 11.

I was hoping for some painting weather about now, but I was being optimistic. Cold, windy and rainy is what it is. Which puts the forepeak work on hold for the time being.

I was casting about for a different avenue of progress down which to glide and decided to give the forepeak grates a try. These will be three grates that form a triangle around the base of the mast and form the flat floor of the forepeak. The sections near the mast will be solid wood to allow for the cut out hole and there will be grated sections as room allows. The grating allows for some air circulation, saves some weight and looks nice.

I fooled around with the design on Autocad but everything I drew looked shyte, so I made a plywood template to fit in the hole where the grates will sit. Drawn up full sized it still looked shyte, but I took heart that the anchor rode will hide it all anyway. Thus emboldened I fetched my umbrella and took a walk down to the lower barn where I keep that pile of Habitat mahogany. My luck turned, there was a fourteen footer sitting right on top, looking a bit lonely. It was a bit rough, but I'd seen worse and I thought, "I could work wit' dat", ignoring the nice bit of teak flashing away on the next pile. "This one suits me just fine", I chuckled and carried my new friend back to the shop.

After a few pleasantries and a little banter I chopped a bit off the end, cut that in half and laid it on the shyte pattern. Still looked shyte so I cut some more. I ended up with all the spaces filled in, which seemed a likely place to stop. A voice in my head said, "you're a right f**kin' wanker, yanno, Jim". "Oh, aye", I replied, let's go get a drink.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Why does it need three gratings? Won't two work, split at the mast centre line?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.