Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4898138147148
Results 5,146 to 5,165 of 5165

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

With the large radius on each end I don't see how the block can hang up. Jim I think you did a fine job of designing the horse to fit a traditional boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Turks heads, Nick...as stoppers on a catboat mainsheet? Need to be pretty tight, they would.

Jim
    You should be able to make a Turks head grip, especially using stronger synthetic marline that won't snap on you as you snug it up. The beauty of the Turk's head apart from its boatyness is that you can put them on the bendy bit. Thereby maximising the useful width of the horse.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Exactly. Cheers.

I'm having a hard time getting a sense of this thing from the photos.. is it 5' long? 8' long?
    I think making it as long as possible (while still looking right) is the thing to do, adding stop-collars later will be as easy as you describe.

The bends look perfect. I don't think you lose anything when you lose that 3/4" of height.

Thanks as always for taking us down the rabbithole with you.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    With the large radius on each end I don't see how the block can hang up. Jim I think you did a fine job of designing the horse to fit a traditional boat.

Thank you, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    You should be able to make a Turks head grip, especially using stronger synthetic marline that won't snap on you as you snug it up. The beauty of the Turk's head apart from its boatyness is that you can put them on the bendy bit. Thereby maximising the useful width of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Exactly. Cheers.

Thanks, Nick and Thad, I shall have to get practicing my Turks Heads. Fortunately, there's still time.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I'm having a hard time getting a sense of this thing from the photos.. is it 5' long? 8' long?
    I think making it as long as possible (while still looking right) is the thing to do, adding stop-collars later will be as easy as you describe.

The bends look perfect. I don't think you lose anything when you lose that 3/4" of height.

Thanks as always for taking us down the rabbithole with you.

You're welcome, Mike. The horse is five feet wide and is made from seven-eighths bronze rod.

Just to add - I don't have stops on Masina's traveller. I have blocks at each end, with lines running to the mainsheet block slider. A system like that, with blocks or cleats could easily be added on if it proves necessary. By the way, I agree with the 'see how it goes' approach too. I also like the idea of keeping the horse low.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Just to add - I don't have stops on Masina's traveller. I have blocks at each end, with lines running to the mainsheet block slider. A system like that, with blocks or cleats could easily be added on if it proves necessary. By the way, I agree with the 'see how it goes' approach too. I also like the idea of keeping the horse low.

Rick
    Rick, I'm thinking that most catboat use a very basic horse arrangement like the one here. I'm confident that there will be no binding issues, after having put the ring on the bar and trying it out. Thanks for the input, as always.

Having "adjusted' the flanges so that they sit flat on the deck while supporting the horse in a plumb attitude, I welded them on for good. I put on a pile of weld and then contoured the weld into shape with a carbide burr. Seen here is the filing stage where the smaller variety of lumps get dealt with.

Jim

That horse is impressive work indeed. Nice job fairing the rod into the base. I wish I had half your skills. I'm having a rudder/rudder stock welded up by a local guy for my fantail launch but I doubt it'll have the soul of your workmanship.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    That horse is impressive work indeed. Nice job fairing the rod into the base. I wish I had half your skills. I'm having a rudder/rudder stock welded up by a local guy for my fantail launch but I doubt it'll have the soul of your workmanship.

Thanks, Rich. Fairing welded joints, in bronze, particularly, is a simple and satisfying task, using a rotary burr and files. Welding, well, that takes some practice, but you don't have to be that good if you're going to fair the welds, so long as they're melted in well. Casting, that's a whole 'nother chapter, and most folks do well enough making patterns for casting in a foundry. I learned these things so I could avoid talking to strangers about my project.

I ain't gonna bore youse all no more with the traveller, just one last picture before moving on to what I oughta be doing. I'll leave it to the scholars among us to argue the proper name, but not here, okay?.

Jim.

I've probably missed the post Jim, but is the horse silicon bronze ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks, Rich. Fairing welded joints, in bronze, particularly, is a simple and satisfying task, using a rotary burr and files. Welding, well, that takes some practice, but you don't have to be that good if you're going to fair the welds, so long as they're melted in well. Casting, that's a whole 'nother chapter, and most folks do well enough making patterns for casting in a foundry. I learned these things so I could avoid talking to strangers about my project.

I ain't gonna bore youse all no more with the traveller, just one last picture before moving on to what I oughta be doing. I'll leave it to the scholars among us to argue the proper name, but not here, okay?.

Jim.

Hey, that thing is gonna hold your beach towel just fine.

I think the flare is sweet. The bases look like little trumpet ends smooshed into the deck.

You’d better knock if off, or you’re going to run out of boat building project! What is next, anyway? What bit ARE you “supposed” to be doing?

I look forward to every step.

Peace,
    Robert

That must have been a royal pain to get the flange angles perfect... looks 200 years old. That's a compliment BTW.

Following avidly from an embarrassed distance...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I've probably missed the post Jim, but is the horse silicon bronze ?

Yes, Peter, silicon bronze. That's an interesting idea you have casting small parts for sale online. I wish you well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Hey, that thing is gonna hold your beach towel just fine.

I think the flare is sweet. The bases look like little trumpet ends smooshed into the deck.

You’d better knock if off, or you’re going to run out of boat building project! What is next, anyway? What bit ARE you “supposed” to be doing?

I look forward to every step.

Peace,
    Robert

The trumpet angle was definitely on my mind as I was filing away, Rob, a goal to pursue, a look to strive for, any dim kind of mental picture to urge the furiously scrubbing fingers this way or that. It still needs more filing, especially the other end, but I have to put it away, I can't look at it because all I see is the lumps. Come back in a month and you see a thing with fresh eyes and the work flows from there.

What I'm "supposed" to be doing at any given moment is a construct of my own imagination that I think up afresh just to ruin the enjoyable and constructive moments I spend here.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    That must have been a royal pain to get the flange angles perfect... looks 200 years old. That's a compliment BTW.

Following avidly from an embarrassed distance...

It wasn't to bad getting the angles right. Couldn'ta took more than a mornings work...spread over a coupla days. I'm thinking of brass work you might see on old steam engines. Polished as some of it was, there was no shortage of casting flaws and tool marks in evidence, if you looked close. These flaws gave the pieces a texture and life that perfection wouldn't. So, thanks.

Jim

Lets get back to the toerails. Fust, lets deal with these loomps...

I'm betting you know about these Jim, but just in case and perhaps for the benefit of others...
    (note 20,000 rpm-ish)

Wonder how it would work if you capped those loomps with a 1/4" thick crook? / Jim

The small flaws are what give it the human touch. I tiled a backsplash yesterday and I could have used those little plastic X things to make sure every line was perfect. It would look horrible that way. The grout lines will be uneven and just a little off and they'll look better for it. Those trumpet shapes are sweet looking. I bet you'll come back to them in a months time and just continue on instead of taking a new view of things and making major changes.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I recall an art teacher at college who specialized in pottery. He would never make anything perfectly symmetrical or overly finished; his work had to show the human touch. And of course it was better for that.
    -Dave

Quite lovely Jim. Nice work.
    Chuck Thompson

Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Wonder how it would work if you capped those loomps with a 1/4" thick crook? / Jim

It would probably look real nice, Jim., but I don't have any suitable crooks. The Angelique is all long lengths of absolutely straight grain with no knots. No worries, though, we will proceed despite the disadvantages and come out with something reasonably satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    The small flaws are what give it the human touch. I tiled a backsplash yesterday and I could have used those little plastic X things to make sure every line was perfect. It would look horrible that way. The grout lines will be uneven and just a little off and they'll look better for it. Those trumpet shapes are sweet looking. I bet you'll come back to them in a months time and just continue on instead of taking a new view of things and making major changes.
    Thanks, Dan. Some tiles look their best with an uneven grout line, handmade Mexican tiles, for instance, and some not. Some unevenness and flaws go a long way to making a piece more "friendly" feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I recall an art teacher at college who specialized in pottery. He would never make anything perfectly symmetrical or overly finished; his work had to show the human touch. And of course it was better for that.

Good point, Dave, pottery, hand thrown pieces anyway, need to be made quickly and with a sure touch. Too much fussing about will spoil the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
    Quite lovely Jim. Nice work.

Thanks, Chuck, glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    Superb!

Thanks, Skeg, that's very kind.

I was fooling around with the quarter knees for a while, scribed them down to the deck, rough trimmed the ends. They look good, but there's some other pieces need gluing up before it gets cold.

Summayouse might recall the dorade boxes and face frames on the hanging lockers. They've been patiently waiting their turn, and now that the deck is finished they can be assembled. Before that happens I need to make three small laminations, two to go inside the lockers and one to fill the space between the lockers, covering the deck beam and deck edge. These laminartions will extend higher than the deck and be a foundation for the cabin side.

Here they are after some initial fitting. The central lamination is three lams thick, onto which will be glued some of the quarter inch veneer for the cabin side. This is a highly visible element in the cabin and should match the cabin sides. The two smaller outer laminations will be inside the lockers, not be readily visible, and will be painted.

Jim