Page 129 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2979119128129130 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,515 of 4657

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Some of my best friends are planks, Kevin, some quite thick. Sad story...for years I've been seeing a railroad tie. She was old school, you know, pressure treated creosote, the kind they don't make any more. I'd see her over by the Station Road grade crossing. I don't know what first caught my eye, but you easily pick her out of the pile, there was a certain something I can't explain. We would see each other whenever I could get away, no matter when she was always waiting, sometimes we'd only see each other for a few minutes, sometimes we'd spend the whole day together. They were happy times. About a month ago I stopped by with a can of Cuprinol, she always liked that, but she was nowhere to be found, only a brown rectangle in the weeds where she lived. No note, but then again, there never is.

I've tried to forget, spent one night with a bundle of shingles, Perfections, and another with a Hemlock four by four, and one day I picked up a nice bit of driftwood at Hot Dog Beach, you know the place, I'm sure. But every morning I woke up sad and ashamed and full of splinters.

Maybe I've said too much. Means to an end, I like to think not, but in this life, who can tell?
    Most of the craftsmen I have known were poets, but this ^ is closing in on brilliance.

(Some years ago I watched a rheumy eyed old shipwright probably 80 odd years, shape a spar from an old discarded telephone pole for a museum display of square rigging. He used a draw knife and a plane and went at it every day all day for a week or so. All covered with creosote it turned out to be something special and is still standing. We speculated on what species and it was maybe Chestnut but who knows? He was plaqued with splinters. And then he was gone, I never saw him again.
    You reminded me of this old friend, and now that I am closing on his perspective it brought a smile... Thank you)

My shoulders hurt just from looking at those overhead-chiseling photos.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Mine too and I keep wiping chips out of my eyes as well.

Rick

Firbeck, Notts/South Yorks border, England

Jim, thought I would drop in for a change rather than just visit occasionally in awed silence.

Commiserations on that old creosote plank drifting out of your life like that... the bitch!

Let's put the mast hole on the back burner and give my poor shoulder some time to recuperate.

You may recall from a few days ago the scarfing of one sheer plank in preparation for the splicing on of a new plank end. Let us continue down that path awhile...

I made a pattern of the new plank end from a piece if quarter inch thick Yellow Cedar, nice and thin for an easy bend and it slips easily behind the existing plank. However, I need the full thickness of the new plank at the end in order to be able to mark and cut the stem rabbet to receive the new full-thickness plank. I glued on a bit to make up the thickness.

This is what the end of the plank would look like if it stopped in the existing rabbet, a quarter inch shoulder protruding...

Using the template as a guide and cutting with the swift, sure strokes borne of long practice the rabbet was notched to allow the sheer plank to land further forward. Not just further forward, mind, but the precise amount further forward that will bring the outer surface of the sheer plank into contact with the side of the stem.

Please hold your applause, there's more to come...

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Breath bates...
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Beautiful work, as usual! Will you cast a bronze collar for this Jim or ..... ? I'm thinking it might be a good time to take your mind off the planks.

Rick

I'm thinking of some sort of collar, Rick, something with a groove around the edge that will anchor the bottom of a mast boot. Another advantage to a cast ring is to secure the edge of the deck glass, as I don't want to run the glass down into the mast hole. I'd rather leave it as it is and seal it with much CPES and paint over.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Most of the craftsmen I have known were poets, but this ^ is closing in on brilliance.

(Some years ago I watched a rheumy eyed old shipwright probably 80 odd years, shape a spar from an old discarded telephone pole for a museum display of square rigging. He used a draw knife and a plane and went at it every day all day for a week or so. All covered with creosote it turned out to be something special and is still standing. We speculated on what species and it was maybe Chestnut but who knows? He was plaqued with splinters. And then he was gone, I never saw him again.
    You reminded me of this old friend, and now that I am closing on his perspective it brought a smile... Thank you)

Thanks for the story, Jake, a smile was the intention and if it stirred up a good memory, so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    My shoulders hurt just from looking at those overhead-chiseling photos.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Mine too and I keep wiping chips out of my eyes as well.

Rick

The chiseling wasn't so bad. I did get a bit of an uncomfortable feeling with the sawzall back-and-forthing a few inches in front of my nose, though, and, yeah, chips in the eye, having somehow forgotten my safety goggles back on the bench and being loath to unjacknife myself yet again to fetch 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMCarney View Post
    Breath bates...

So long as it's your breath that's bating, Brian, I'm fine with that. You're gonna have to bate a while longer, 'coz I got nuttin' yet.

Cheers, all,

Jim

I did some initial fairing of the forward deck to tighten things up a bit. This was prompted by some doubts encountered while preparing to splice the forward ends of the sheer planks. While I could easily have left the top edge of the spiced planks high, with some material to plane off, the rabbet in the stem, the top termination of the rabbet, has to be spot on. You might think that that would have been settled long ago, and it was, but the addition of all that deck framing material raised a question. There's a lot of wood coming together at the apex, large chunks of wood, interlocked pieces that might...or might not, land exactly where you want them. All this despite taking much care all along.

So the question becomes, "Can I raise the sheer at the rabbet by an eighth to save having to remove that much material from the foredeck framing, and could this be done without creating an unfairness in the sheer, and is there sufficient material in all places to accomplish this?". So, I backtrack and start the fairing of the forward deck, tightening things up, which gives me the opportunity to grok the many factors at play here, taking care to give them all consideration and weight, without missing anything, before taking the irremediable step of cutting the stem rabbet an eighth higher.

That's boatbuilding!

Here's the view from the foredeck of one of the benches below...

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 08:37 PM.

I've decided to give the entire deck a rough fairing, to insure that any fairing I do on the forward deck will be fair with the rest. As it's a job that needed to be done sooner or later there's good reason to get it out of the way now.

In order to be able to plane those deck beams that are just hanging out in space I made a system of supports out of rough lumber. This holds the beams quite securely in the correct position, and will remain in place until the decking is installed. Because the deck beams abut the frames the supports are halved, top and bottom, on opposite sides, to allow the supports to lie plumb and fay neatly with both the frame below and the deck beam above.

Important safety tip, if you're doing this yourself! Make sure you screw the supports to the deck beams from underneath! Screwing from the top will make the screws difficult to remove once the deck is in place. Not impossible, but you'll be unwinding them with a stubby screwdriver instead of a power drill.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-16-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post

Here's the view from the foredeck of one of the benches below...

Seeing those drawer glides on your bench reminds me of why it took me 6 years to finish a considerably smaller and less complex boat, damn work keeps getting in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    Seeing those drawer glides on your bench reminds me of why it took me 6 years to finish a considerably smaller and less complex boat, damn work keeps getting in the way!

It's a curse, Skegger, being saddled with such wonderful talent, the boundless energy of youth and such relentless optimism coupled to a compass swinging so wildly in its gimbals, guided by a laser in the hand of an epileptic with the attention span of a horny fruit fly.

But, soldier on, we must. and give thanks at days end.

I shall endeavor to color this narrative in such a way that will suggest an orderly process exists, when in fact, there is no such clarity to be found in this bowshed.

Here is a photo that might have been taken a few hours after the previous post, when in fact, in the intervening week scaffolding was erected and taken down around the entire boat, two score of deck beams reinforced and secured, and the entire deck frame and sheer laboriously hand planed into a semblance of the sweet curves so long anticipated. All done in order to give courage to the timid, trembling hands to take chisel to wood where no error could be tolerated, where all the lines converge, at the stem, on deck.

Here's roughing out the scabbed-on forward end of the sheer plank. The bottom edge was pattern routed off the thin pattern and the front cut made on the chop saw using the same setting as the pattern. The scarf is just roughed to make the board a little more bendy for further fitting...

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-17-2017 at 05:15 AM.

Here's roughing out the scabbed-on forward end of the sheer plank. The bottom edge was pattern routed off the thin pattern and the front cut made on the chop saw using the same setting as the pattern. The scarf is just roughed to make the board a little more bendy for further fitting...

You're going to need the perfect caul for that glue up

You're going to need the perfect caul for that glue up
    Here's the plan...the new plank will be clamped in place, hood end in the rabbet, glue spread on both surfaces of the scarf, wax paper bib in place. There will be a half inch plywood caul covering the scarf area. Two or three clamps will pull the scarf into position against the frames. Done.

The concern is that the joint will have too much pressure and will end up glue starved. To counter this I intend planing the scarf slightly hollow across the grain to allow a sufficient amount of glue to remain in the joint.

Jim, you do intend to sail this boat one day, right? It's just that she is such a work of art, that I'm wondering if you'll hesitate to put her in that nasty wet water, where she'll get all mussed up ;- )
    I always thought Luc's Vietnam schooner build was pretty special, the time he put into updating the thread, and the craftsmanship on display. This I think is even better, with all the pattern making and so on, as well as the boat building and "how to" stuff. And just one guy, not a team.
    Thanks again for sharing.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Here's the plan...the new plank will be clamped in place, hood end in the rabbet, glue spread on both surfaces of the scarf, wax paper bib in place. There will be a half inch plywood caul covering the scarf area. Two or three clamps will pull the scarf into position against the frames. Done.

The concern is that the joint will have too much pressure and will end up glue starved. To counter this I intend planing the scarf slightly hollow across the grain to allow a sufficient amount of glue to remain in the joint.
    I wish you could sneak a caul on the inboard side as well to maintain a constant curve on compression and tension sides of the bend, suppose you could always slip a short one in between frames 2 & 3 where the inboard scarf is going to want to stay flat . I guess it's not an extreme a bend, fun armchair quarterbacking though, can't wait to see the result!
    Last edited by Skegemog; 06-27-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: can't spell

maybe use a rough rasp to rough up the joint, that's why I love scarphing with epoxy and use it for as little else as possible, just rough plane the joint with a hand plane and glue it up, the natural imperfections in the surface will make sure it is not starved.

I guess I'm just missing why the sheer planks are scarphed on the boat in this location, I'm assuming this is not a historic thing, some traditional type construction for a large cat? often times dory sheers were scarphed with clench nails and tar or pitch in the scarph, but this is Always on the hind quarters where the sheer kicks up to the tombstone... I'll have to go back thru the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post

I guess I'm just missing why the sheer planks are scarphed on the boat in this location. I'll have to go back thru the thread.
    Post #4462 on the previous page gives some background, Daniel. It's essentially an afterthought modification.

Here we can see the plank bent in with the scarf very roughly cut. The hood end was clamped hard into the rabbet and the plank drawn in with clamps, pulling the scarfs together and the plank close to the frames. From here the forward end of the scarf can be traced form the inside of the boat, and the after end marked from a pair of tick marks drawn on the existing plank. I will probably cut the scarf close to the marks and reclamp for a final mark and trim.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-17-2017 at 05:17 AM.

Can you plane a hollow on the ford end of the old plank, so that its scarf face straightens when cramped up? Then less force may be required fighting that short end into place, especially at the feather end..
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post

And just one guy, not a team.

Thanks again for sharing.

Pete

In all fairness to Luc, that was a whole lot more boat than this and his team were extremely skilled.

This, on the other hand, is a more accessible project for the motivated singlehanded builder of limited means.

You're welcome!

Here we are, all glued up, top edge left high. I did end up cutting the rabbet higher than the top of the sheer plank, although the new plank will follow the same line as the original. The reason for this is that the plywood deck will have a solid mahogany edge glued on along the sheer to cover the end grain. More on my thinking on that later on. This solid edge will run into the rabbet, above the sheer plank.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-17-2017 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Can you plane a hollow on the ford end of the old plank, so that its scarf face straightens when cramped up? Then less force may be required fighting that short end into place, especially at the feather end..
    Ah, Nick, too late! I had already glued up before your latest suggestion came down the pipe! You know how it is on the shop floor.

Jim,
    Been following this thread since the start. The information, technique and narratives have put a guilt trip on me that I have not been asked to pay a subscription fee.
    I actually am more excited for your next posting than I am in getting the next issue of Wooden Boat. Masterful job !!!

Itchen

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Giegel View Post
    Jim,
    Been following this thread since the start. The information, technique and narratives have put a guilt trip on me that I have not been asked to pay a subscription fee.
    I actually am more excited for your next posting than I am in getting the next issue of Wooden Boat. Masterful job !!!

Itchen

I could help you with that, Mark, and any others out there struggling as Mark is. PM me and I'll give you an address for your donations. I think that a minimum threshold could be set for previews of the good bits.

Just a thought.

Jim

Years from now, when the construction of this boat is chronicled in WoodenBoat Magazine (and it most certainly will be), how many issues will it take to cover the whole story?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Years from now, when the construction of this boat is chronicled in WoodenBoat Magazine (and it most certainly will be), how many issues will it take to cover the whole story?
    It's going to be a Special Edition, complete with a box made from Jim's offcuts.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Ah, Nick, too late! I had already glued up before your latest suggestion came down the pipe! You know how it is on the shop floor.
    Well, lets just leave it up there for others to mull over.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    It's going to be a Special Edition, complete with a box made from Jim's offcuts.
    And there's only going to be one made, like Wu Tang clan.

Or...

And every crummy little boat I've crowed about on here will be one of those little subscription cards that mucks up the works.

Hehe. Your work IS fantastic, Jim, and your boat is looking lovely. We just need to work on your delivery, a bit.
    Have you considered trying humor?

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well, lets just leave it up there for others to mull over.
    I'm familiar with the technique, but unsure I could pull it of when I meant to.

I think a shave works well, depending on the size of the scarf.

Peace,
    Robert

Jim, how are the planks fastened to the sparst? Are they glued on or just nailed/screwed/riveted?

no flat at the scarf I trust? nicely done!

no flat at the scarf I trust? nicely done!

Thank you, Sir! No, no flat, just a straight-through scarf, which I think is the best for a plank scarf that's to be painted...and easiest to make.

Here we are, cleaned up somewhat, with the hood ends temporarily screwed in. The reveal gets a bit fat towards the edge of the photo, but that's because the planks are not screwed down in that area. Screw 'em in, some judicious planing, a little putty 'n' caulk, sanded up, plenty o' paint and nobody'll know the difference.

'Cept all of us, of course

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-17-2017 at 05:21 AM.

Photobucket, it would seem, has suspended their image hosting unless a $399/yr. membership fee is paid.

This means that all the pictures in this thread, the pictures that are referenced in the text, are gone, rendering this thread useless, along with every one of my other threads.

With regrets,

Jim

Very strange, I also use photobucket and my thread still contains pictures.

/F

I will happily contribute $50 to renew your subscription to photobucket Jim.
    What say the rest of you who click on this thread every single day.......

It looks like you may have hit the free storage ceiling of 2 GB. Crud.