Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4999139148149150 LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,215 of 5246

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Oh and BTW if you do a "moonwalk" could we get a video of that?

Pex is great stuff. Thenheatvtransfer is surprisingly good and once the floor is warm, it stays warm for a good bit. The only idsadvantage is that its not like a radiator or forced air. It takes a while for the whole assembly to warm up. You gotta, kinda anticipate it getting cold out...

Wedging blueboard between the joists a couple inches below the tubing makes the whole system even more better.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Pex is great stuff. Thenheatvtransfer is surprisingly good and once the floor is warm, it stays warm for a good bit. The only idsadvantage is that its not like a radiator or forced air. It takes a while for the whole assembly to warm up. You gotta, kinda anticipate it getting cold out...

Wedging blueboard between the joists a couple inches below the tubing makes the whole system even more better.
    Now there's a fun job (speaking from experience)...

Of course I'm off to install bathroom fan #2 in an attic filled with blown in insulation, so maybe putting blueboard in up over my head ain't so bad after all.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post

That's the current project and the crucial step that makes the whole thing work, instead of radiating away the heat into the crawl space. This is 2" R-14 blueboard with a reflective surface that faces up. I will not strain my credibility by describing what it takes to get good fits in this situation, or what effort is required to get these pieces into position other than to say that it's a good thing it's me doing the work.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Lying on your back, grinding off thousands of protruding nails. You, sir, have the patience of a saint!!!

There's a lot to be said for a bit of mindless work that gets done without much decision making involved, it's almost like having a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    What is the heat transfer like through the PEX and wood? I don't know if I'd ever bother putting radiant in floor heat under a wood floor. But maybe I'm wrong. The only one I ever did was electric under a tile floor which transfers the heat quite well.

Sooner or later the heats going to come through the flooring, Dan. Radiant heat doesn't have the rapid response that baseboard heat or radiators have because the water temp is much lower, but the cycling of the temperature is more even. The boiler runs longer using a smaller flame

Quote Originally Posted by tooljunki View Post
    Okay so we don't know the build up of the floor, but just for comparison, 3/4 inch oak has an R value of .85 and 1/4 inch ceramic tile has an R value of 1. We don't know what type of flooring is on top of the oak, but the ceramic tile is going to need a sub floor of plywood (3/4 inch = R value 1.08), and a coating of thinset mortar (R value .8), so I think it's safe to say that the wood floor is more efficient or aproximatly equal. Jim I am sorry for opening up this can of worms, and I'll not say anything else about it. Glen.

Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by tooljunki View Post
    Oh and BTW if you do a "moonwalk" could we get a video of that?

Yeah, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Now there's a fun job (speaking from experience)...

Of course I'm off to install bathroom fan #2 in an attic filled with blown in insulation, so maybe putting blueboard in up over my head ain't so bad after all.
    What more can you say? If you're staying dry and your fingers ain't half froze off then there's prolly not much to bitch about.

Be getting back to the catboat soon...

Jim

All this talk of making places toasty warm brings me back to the catboat. Do you have any plans for a small heating stove in the boat?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    That's the current project and the crucial step that makes the whole thing work, instead of radiating away the heat into the crawl space. This is 2" R-14 blueboard with a reflective surface that faces up. I will not strain my credibility by describing what it takes to get good fits in this situation, or what effort is required to get these pieces into position other than to say that it's a good thing it's me doing the work.

Jim

Its fun aint it?

There's a lot to be said for a bit of mindless work that gets done without much decision making involved, it's almost like having a rest.

Be getting back to the catboat soon...

Jim
    Jim, just checking in... Want to make sure you didn't accidentally get yourself permanently wedged between two floor joists, or attacked by a mob of Black Widows, or that the siren song of mindless labor hasn't carried you off away from us forever, or... well, you get the idea. Point is, there are numerous scenarios - none of them good - that your dear readers inevitably begin to contemplate when our catboat fix begins to wear off and we start to get fidgety.

Hope all's well. Give us a shout, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by gvcrew View Post
    Jim, just checking in... Want to make sure you didn't accidentally get yourself permanently wedged between two floor joists, or attacked by a mob of Black Widows, or that the siren song of mindless labor hasn't carried you off away from us forever, or... well, you get the idea. Point is, there are numerous scenarios - none of them good - that your dear readers inevitably begin to contemplate when our catboat fix begins to wear off and we start to get fidgety.

Hope all's well. Give us a shout, eh?

Thanks for your concern, but you needn't worry. I'm happily buttoning up the house ahead of the coming winter. Once the cold weather gets here I'll naturally gravitate back to the catboat.

It's the way of life around here.

Jim

Jim as you already know I am now at an advanced age and I'm wondering if we will ever see this project actually performing what it was originally designed for?

Is it possible to spend more time on completion and proving that she will hold together under working conditions?

Surely I'm not alone when dressing a bad piece of welding to look pretty or grooving a surface to simulate T&G holds no interest to me and can wait until she has completed trials anyway.

Remember everything is only cosmetic until subjected to working conditions and the various stresses that will be inflicted on her.

Yours in anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    Jim as you already know I am now at an advanced age and I'm wondering if we will ever see this project actually performing what it was originally designed for?

Is it possible to spend more time on completion and proving that she will hold together under working conditions?

Surely I'm not alone when dressing a bad piece of welding to look pretty or grooving a surface to simulate T&G holds no interest to me and can wait until she has completed trials anyway.

Remember everything is only cosmetic until subjected to working conditions and the various stresses that will be inflicted on her.

Yours in anticipation.
    I completely disagree. I haven't seen anything that indicates poor workmanship or materials that are not up to task and I very much appreciate the extra effort being taken to make each individual part look good in addition to being fit for purpose.

Where has a bad bid of welding been dressed to look pretty? The welding I have seen looked up to the task at hand. It's worth the extra time to make it look nice.
    Tom

Yours in anticipation.
    I think youíre pretty alone. I hope you are.

I canít imagine goading someone this way. Over completion of a hobby task.

Peace,
    Robert

Yours in anticipation.
    I don't get this at all. We all work on or build boats for different reasons. Some just want it good enough to work, others go beyond that. Mr. Ledger has gone way beyond that & IMO is creating a work of art. I say bravo to someone with this sort of dedication. I also have seen zero instances of bad welds - but a desire to make them aesthetically pleasing as well as structurally sound.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

What a bizarre comment. Jim owes us nothing, either in terms of the speed at which he builds his boat or the detail with which he documents it. Everything he gives us is, quite literally, a gift. I hope he keeps giving, and don't mind how long it takes.
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

"Everything he gives us is, quite literally, a gift."

This! Tks again, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMCarney View Post
    What a bizarre comment. Jim owes us nothing, either in terms of the speed at which he builds his boat or the detail with which he documents it. Everything he gives us is, quite literally, a gift. I hope he keeps giving, and don't mind how long it takes.
    Yep, well put.
    -Dave

Cool Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMCarney View Post
    I agree totally, and what do you expect? He's gonna let his house fall apart so he can entertain you? Many with tallent like Jim are bothered by the slightest flaw in their work, things that most of us would hardly notice. I worry that I may live long enough to see the boat completed, and once launched, I'll never see it again. I enjoy every part of the build and thankful for the sharing of it! Glen.

Maybe you can watch from Heaven.

That's a bit much, Capehorn.

Thank you all for you encouragement and support. I'll be back shortly dishing up more of the same old window dressing for thems that like it.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ledger; 11-06-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Thank you all for you encouragement and support. I'll be back shortly dishing up more of the same for thems that like it.

Jim
    Thank you Jim. This thread, by now a yarn, has been a pleasure, sn education and an inspiration

Why is it that the multi quote action is inactive for me?

"That's a bit much, Capehorn."

You are right and I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I completely disagree. I haven't seen anything that indicates poor workmanship or materials that are not up to task and I very much appreciate the extra effort being taken to make each individual part look good in addition to being fit for purpose.

Where has a bad bid of welding been dressed to look pretty? The welding I have seen looked up to the task at hand. It's worth the extra time to make it look nice.
    I cannot see where I criticized any of Jim's workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I think you’re pretty alone. I hope you are.

I can’t imagine goading someone this way. Over completion of a hobby task.

Peace,
    Robert
    I rate Jim as more than a "Hobbyist" Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I don't get this at all. We all work on or build boats for different reasons. Some just want it good enough to work, others go beyond that. Mr. Ledger has gone way beyond that & IMO is creating a work of art. I say bravo to someone with this sort of dedication. I also have seen zero instances of bad welds - but a desire to make them aesthetically pleasing as well as structurally sound.
    Yes I agree, but aesthetical appearances are superfluous if the vessel founders and can be left until later unless of course the are inaccessible later.

Quote Originally Posted by capehorn3 View Post
    Maybe you can watch from Heaven.
    I looks like we will never meet up.

Thank you all for you encouragement and support. I'll be back shortly dishing up more of the same for thems that like it.

Jim
    I thought I would be torn to shreds there Jim or at least ignored. Never mind I'll try and hang on a while longer as a source of encouragement.

G'day Jim!

A game of chess soon... 'ish? (after this week anyway)

How y'doin'?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    G'day Jim!

A game of chess soon... 'ish? (after this week anyway)

How y'doin'?

G'day, Duncan! I'm doing well and thanks for asking. Chess anytime you feel up to it, and that goes for all you lot.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. The cold has returned and we're without heat for want of a plumber. There's only one thing to do...stick them toerails on.

Here's the portside one all clamped up and ready to bore for the screws. T'other's already on and plugged. The fastening sequence, which I made up, consists of four, three and a half, and three inch number eighteen screws, two to the foot. Slotted, it goes without saying.

Jim

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Jim !!! And thanks for the posting update... I hope your home heating issues are quickly resolved, it seems they almost always occur on holidays and off-hours

G'day, Duncan! I'm doing well and thanks for asking. Chess anytime you feel up to it, and that goes for all you lot.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. The cold has returned and we're without heat for want of a plumber. There's only one thing to do...stick them toerails on.

Here's the portside one all clamped up and ready to bore for the screws. T'other's already on and plugged. The fastening sequence, which I made up, consists of four, three and a half, and three inch number eighteen screws, two to the foot. Slotted, it goes without saying.

Jim

Jim,

I do not recommend putting two screws in each foot. It will hurt, and there will be blood everywhere. You haven’t cut scuppers in those rails, yet.

This shot is a knockout. So much catboatness right here. It’s just an enormous bundle of gracefully wrought arcs and curves. An absolute symphony of sinuous swoops. Tempered with plumb and level straights, to keep focused and grounded.

Peace,
    Lucky, Once And Again

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Jim !!! And thanks for the posting update... I hope your home heating issues are quickly resolved, it seems they almost always occur on holidays and off-hours

Thanks, Rick, all the best on this holiday. The heating issues should resolve nicely once a new boiler is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Jim,

I do not recommend putting two screws in each foot. It will hurt, and there will be blood everywhere. You havenít cut scuppers in those rails, yet.

This shot is a knockout. So much catboatness right here. Itís just an enormous bundle of gracefully wrought arcs and curves. An absolute symphony of sinuous swoops. Tempered with plumb and level straights, to keep focused and grounded.

Peace,
    Lucky, Once And Again

I believe the word you're looking for is catboatyness, Rob. The scuppers were cut a page or so back...

Every time I pop in and check this project out I am amazed by the massiveness, and even more by the craftsmanship.

In the latest issue of WBM, there is an article by a fellow who took 14 years to build a 48' trawler yacht.
    Perhaps sometime in the future, Jim's catboat will appear in a similiar article.
    What a great article it would be!
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 11-22-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Better than most, you know my keen eye for detail, eh?

Since the scuppers are in, Iíd recommend the 4Ē screws. Use three per foot, and large fender washers so the screws heads donít pull through the tarsals.

Peace,
    Expert Builder

I'll just sit here in quiet admiration and wonder what a fender washer is. Looking beautiful there Jim!

Rick

Default Lofting the Brewer catboat

Catboats and catboat builds added to list of things to be thankful for.

Jim, may a plumber soon arrive. Best to you and yours this day.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'll just sit here in quiet admiration and wonder what a fender washer is. Looking beautiful there Jim!

Rick

Rick, a fender washer is a large, flat metal disk with a small center hole - it helps to distribute the clamping forces across a larger area than a typical washer.

Rick

Thanks! Never heard them called that.

Rick