Page 131 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3181121130131132 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,585 of 4706

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Jim, thanks for taking the time and effort to restore the photos to one of my favorite threads! I do understand how much effort it will take and for everyone that benefits from your efforts, I also thank you!

(I've been anxiously anticipating your next post since I discovered this thread 5 or 6 years ago, and all the related threads as well).

Bill

Thanks all. I'll keep plugging away at this thread, and others as long as the PB icons remain in place. They are the only way to know which photo goes where, because there's thousands of 'em.

Anyone else is trying to do the same, right click the icon and choose "open picture in new tab". The photo will open in a new tab on the bar at the top of the screen. Assuming you've downloaded the pictures from PB, or have the originals, you can then upload them to a new host and make a new link. There's some real satisfaction in deleting each PB icon in turn, a little GFY moment.

In other news, I got hold of a couple of sheets of 9mm Bruynzeel with the intention of laying the deck, starting aft and working forward.

Stay tuned.

Deck work. Giggedy giggedy!!
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Thanks all. I'll keep plugging away at this thread, and others as long as the PB icons remain in place. They are the only way to know which photo goes where, because there's thousands of 'em.

Anyone else is trying to do the same, right click the icon and choose "open picture in new tab". The photo will open in a new tab on the bar at the top of the screen. Assuming you've downloaded the pictures from PB, or have the originals, you can then upload them to a new host and make a new link. There's some real satisfaction in deleting each PB icon in turn, a little GFY moment.

In other news, I got hold of a couple of sheets of 9mm Bruynzeel with the intention of laying the deck, starting aft and working forward.

Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Deck work. Giggedy giggedy!!
    Would I be right in assuming that the planking is complete and you are approaching the decking of her?
    Is that what Sailor is asking?
    Sounds like the launch is in sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    Would I be right in assuming that the planking is complete and you are approaching the decking of her?
    Surely, you jest. Jim has three upper planks on each side and, from the look of things, will complete the entire interior before planking the rest. All the sawdust and crap falls on the shop floor instead of the bilge. I'd say the launch is still years away.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Launch is always in sight, Chippie, has been from Day One.

Contrary to what Rich Jones stated, there are actually FOUR strakes hanging on the topside. The deck frame is complete, except for a few minor details which will be swept up as the decking moves forward. There is really no good reason to put off decking her.

Putting on the deck this summer and getting a coat of glass on will open up a lot of possibilities for future progress. In particular, rub rails and toe rails and the cabin and cockpit sides. Most important, though, the deck makes a nice shelf on which to rest your tools, especially if there's a toe rail in place.

I see the planking as a rather simple task compared to the work involved in the framing and fitting out. Not that it's simple or easy, but it's basically flat work, fastening planks to frames, as opposed to the more three dimensional joinery I've been doing lately. And it's repetitive, once a few strakes are hung the work goes more smoothly, each strake being more or less the same as the last.

As usual, Chippie, it's always a pleasure to hear from you and to have the opportunity to clear up these troubling doubts.

In other news, this thread has been restored to its former photo-illustrated glory through page forty-one.

Peace and Good Health to All,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-13-2017 at 11:10 AM.

" At the House of Ledger, photographic restoration progress is but one of our most important products" , eh Jim?
    Thanks again for all the effort to maintain the thread, and to 'splain the process you are doing

Rick

What's all this about missing pictures?

More about this deck, though. I do have a question.

What about the underside? I mean, the rest of the nooks are filled with more glorious crannies, and most all of it filled with nothing but onion skin. Still, even painted all white, there are joints and lines and pieces and segments, and they all add to the visual rationale of building a wooden boat. A real woodie, I mean, eh?

Now, I fully understand plywood, and I got no beefs with ply. At all.

I just wonder what it may look like looking up at that plain expanse of under deck. Granted, no really very large expanses will exist, but will it look weird?
    Why would you be doing that? I don't know? Someday in the future, you may find yourself in a supine repose gazing up at blank quilt tiles.

I honestly don't know, as the only boat I've ever owned with a deck was made from gloop. It all looked like gloop, everywhere.

And, I really ask because of the bulkhead treatment...

Peace,
    Robert

Peace and Good Health to All,

Jim
    And also to you.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    And also to you.
    Why, thank you, Mike.

I'm having a good time rummaging through this virtual box of old photos. It's so easy to forget what came before. Here's the sternpost before the transom went on, it's kinda cool!

I've been thinking of making an index on the first post to facilitate finding the various sections of the build.

Now would be the time to do that, while you have it all open and exposed as it were.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Your effort is much appreciated Jim .... as is your thread.
    + eleventy million from me too Jim. I haven't been about much, as I'm well and truly under the pump, but this is one of the threads I come back and check up on whenever I get a chance.

Cheers my friend.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Thank you, Draketail. I only bevel planks on one side, it's difficult enough to get an even seam even then. The bevel trim bit is a good idea, but will only work properly on flat sections of the hull. The rounded sections, which is most of the hull, require the plank edges to be beveled before the caulking bevel is put on...a bearing guided bit would not work properly in this situation.

Chas, thanks for the advice and consider it done, it might help and certainly couldn't hurt.

The rest of you...I feel this thread has become an embarassment to me. The meager response coupled with the large number of views puzzles me, the lack of even a single comment from many of you over the years, those who are purportedly interested in this sort of thing, leaves me wondering whether this is worthwhile.

I'd like to clear something up here. I've been restoring the photo links on this thread after the Photobucket debacle. It's been an interesting retrospective and very encouraging to reread all your comments. I came across this post, a post which I edited after reading because I thought the last comment was rather self-pitying and pathetic. Then I read the encouraging comments that filled the next two pages and restored the comment. I thank you all for the encouraging comments that followed.

I think that some perspective might be in order. Looking at the date of the original post I remembered what was going on in my life, the part when I was not building a boat. I had been diagnosed with prostate cancer the year before and had surgery to remove the tumor. The surgery was not 100% successful. My only option was to receive an ongoing series of injections, which were able to suppress the disease indefinitely. This treatment had far-reaching side effects that affected every aspect of my life, including, in no small way, my ability to work as I had become accustomed. I later had a series of radiation treatments which also turned out to be less than was hoped for.

I thought all along that I was bearing up pretty well, and I suppose I could have been worse, but this ****'s been weighing me down more than I realized. I had stopped seeing friends, actively avoiding everyone I used to know. Lately though, I'm feel better than I have been in a good long while, maybe acceptance setting in, who knows? Rereading the thread has reminded me of how I used to be and I feel like I want to get back to being that guy in some way.

So, here's a part of my life that I have kept to myself. It wasn't due to anything I did, but there's shame there, nonetheless. Go figure. I'm hoping that admitting my situation might have a cleansing effect and relieve me of some of the weight.

In conclusion, the disease is controlled by the medication, they jack me up for a while and then wean me off. This will continue for the rest of my life, so there's no reason for concern. And the line in the above quote, I must have been feeling low.

That's all I'm gonna say about that. Gonna build me some boat now...because I can.

Jim

I've not commented here before as I didn't want to prove how little I know about the magic you are performing in every post.
    I did notice a change in your style of posting over the last couple of pages and thought you must be in a better space.

That's all I'm gonna say about that. Gonna build me some boat now...because I can.
    'Kin Ace!!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I've thuroughly enjoyed watching your build Jim. Every time I check in I'm reminded just how rough my work is. I wish you continued success and joy in your build.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Tonight I made some little spacers to go between the parrel beads on the main gaff for the boat I plan to build. It will be a goo boat because I could never hope to match or even come half way to what you do here. Jim, we all appreciate the work your'e doing both on the boat but more on the thread as that's our connection to your work (for most of us anyway). My spacers are in the bucket of BLO now with the beads, mast fids and a few belaying pins. Not much for a large boat but it's progress that can be taken with me if I'm posted. Bear in mind that your progress is really what it's all about. Now go build a boat. Because you can. One day you won't be able to so you want her done before that day comes.
    Cheers,
    Daniel
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Once the deck goes on a handful of prayer rugs are in order. You can kneel on these to work on or you can rest your tools on them to prevent accidental damage. These prayer rugs are best if hand made of wool and they can be had at the nearest carpet store as a book of Berber samples, usually about 18" square and free.
    After the boat is built these will have an afterlife as some of the best truck chafing gear ever.

Don't feel ever guilty, I love your writing, the pictures are great but the prose and poetry are outstanding.
    Thank you for allowing us to be your guests.

So, here's a part of my life that I have kept to myself. It wasn't due to anything I did, but there's shame there, nonetheless. Go figure. I'm hoping that admitting my situation might have a cleansing effect and relieve me of some of the weight.

Jim
    Jim, there is absolutely no reason to feel shame in your reaction to something that has such a huge impact on your life and confidence, The threat to you is similar to a bereavement, you will (perhaps subconsciously) be thinking about losing all those that are dear to you. It must have a serious impact on anyone.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

From you Gentleman Jim; we see and share what you create; a HUGE gift to us and to you. Yes you can, and through life's arrows, you do! Here's a little reminder about where i find your gifts...

Your documentary is thoroughly enjoyable including your wit and ways; your open portrayal of today's man completely involved in his passions. Your skill at reporting, as great as your design and building. I am a particular fan of your photographic work; also far above most we see here.

The very best to you Jim,

Greg Taylor, near Philly
    Last edited by gregleetaylor; 07-17-2017 at 11:00 AM.

What my friend Greg said...in spades! I follow this thread as a religion - it inspires me beyond comprehension. My little cat boat thread pales into insignifance alongside this. Thank you, thank you! And carry on knowing that the Aussies are watching!

"Lofting the Brewer Catboat" has been repaired.

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

The Management

^ Well done that man.

Well, that must make you feel great ..... knowing that the Aussies are watching!

The thread is back to its former magnificence - fantastic! Thanks Jim! Now you can resume showing off - please!!!!

Rick

Thanks for putting so much time into the thread for a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by jim ledger View Post
    "lofting the brewer catboat" has been repaired.

The management
    Brillig!!!

> ...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

"Lofting the Brewer Catboat" has been repaired.

The Management
    Thank you! This thread is a treasure.

Thank you Jim! And thank you also for sharing, all of it. The thread and the build are both epic, and we're blessed to have a writer, photographer and craftsman all equal to their tasks, wrapped up together in one Jim Ledger.
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

Jim the same thought has passed through my mind about your own threads only I was too polite to mention it.

Apart from 2 videos on Utube, which weren't impressive at all, we only see the completed versions in your threads anyone could be making them.

Found out at last! It's true...I'm a complete fraud, these aren't my words, this isn't my work. I've been fooling you all along...except for you, Chippie.

Did you not like this one, though....

I've got a chisel just like that, slightly larger I think, but very much the same, and I have to say it's my favourite. Nice to hear your voice gracing the thread again Jim! I should call.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I finished my chores early today so there's time to pop into the old boathouse and push things along a little bit.

I mentioned that I had a couple of sheets of plywood, 9mm Bruynzeel Occume, to be precise, and with these I will start the decking. The underlying structure was given a scrubbing with a plane to even things up somewhat, after which one of the sheets was cut into two oversized sections to cover the aft quarters. Theoretically the plywood should not be able to assume this shape, the deck bending in two dimensions simultaneously, but as can be seen it did so without much persuasion at all. That said, a single thickness of 3/4" ply would have been a different story, but, as we're laminating up two layers that hardly matters.

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 07-20-2017 at 10:55 AM.

There will be a solid wood edge glued on the outboard side of the decking ply. This edge will cover the end grain of the plywood. It will be wide enough to cover the top of the sheer plank, so that all the fastenings coming down through the toe rail and into the deck will be into solid wood. One advantage of doing it this way is that the glass on the deck can be run out to the edge of the deck and stopped right there, no need to radius the deck edge to wrap the glass around to cover the ply end grain.

That's the theory, anyway.

Here's a lamination of three strips of mahogany that will become the edging for the two panels I'm working on. One of the panels is being used as a mold, the edging is not yet glued on. Once the glue is set the piece will be cleaned up and split into two pieces, one for each piece of decking. This piece is made as wide as it is because of a situation that exists at the transom, which will be explained shortly.

Those are interesting clamps that I have not seen before. They look to be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Those are interesting clamps that I have not seen before. They look to be very useful.
    Those are Kantenfix edging clamps, not available in stores, and, yes, they can be very useful, depending on the kind of trouble you like to get into.

I mentioned the situation at the deck/transom intersection. If we were using a solid covering board around the edge of the deck it would be notched to run by the transom on top of the sheer strake. The end grain might be covered by a rub rail. There might be more sophisticated ways to handle the situation available to those with foresight and knowledge better'n mine. Probably is.

Here's how I'm handling it, once she's painted it will be hard to tell the difference.

So, we have the wide piece of solid edging glued onto the plywood panel, it reads like a piece of solid wood.

Once fitted the plywood is kept well away from the joint and any incidental contact with the elements. Keep in mind that this is only the first layer. After this layer is fastened down the second will be epoxy glued atop the first, doubling the thickness to 3/4". The top of the transom will then be planed flush with the deck, and won't that just look nice? The glass will be run to the edge of the transom, covering the joint, and then a toe rail on top of that, holding everything down..

So, we have the wide piece of solid edging glued onto the plywood panel, it reads like a piece of solid wood.

Once fitted the plywood is kept well away from the joint and any incidental contact with the elements. Keep in mind that this is only the first layer. After this layer is fastened down the second will be epoxy glued atop the first, doubling the thickness to 3/4". The top of the transom will then be planed flush with the deck, and won't that just look nice? The glass will be run to the edge of the transom, covering the joint, and then a toe rail on top of that, holding everything down..

Are you going to make the top panel wider or narrower so that the glue lines are not on top of each other?