Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2777117126127
Results 4,411 to 4,421 of 4421

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

I guess paint was inventible, but I sure liked looking at the wood!

Amazed with every post!

WgMkr

Mr. Ledger looking very fine!

Alex

Been too long since we've seen photos of your gorgeous build. How about some action shots?

JRM

Quote Originally Posted by Wagemaker View Post
    I guess paint was inventible, but I sure liked looking at the wood!

Amazed with every post!

WgMkr

I don't believe I've had the pleasure, Wagemaker, welcome to my thread. Yes, the wood look was nice, and now we have to go through a period of paint/no paint mish-mash. Unfortunately, having a bright finished boat is not an option around here, the Summer sun is just too hot. On the bright side the paint does tend to highlight the details and shapes if the boats components as well as imparting a feeling of solidity and providing a smooth, easily-cleaned surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Low View Post
    Mr. Ledger looking very fine!

Thank you, Mr. Low, and how have you been keeping yourself? Any new projects to report, photos of old ones? Inquiring minds wonder...

With eleven or a dozen coats of paint, I lost count, things are smootthing up a bit. Today saw the fitting of the shelf...remember the shelf, and its edge. The edge has a couple of coats of varnish and will be getting more before final fastening. The shelf itself was glued to the frames with 5200. The aft end of the shelf will be supported by the forepeak bulkhead, which can now be installed.

You commented on the order of things earlier Jim, what a nightmare. Glad there's someone with your ability in charge here.

Long-time reader and admirer of this stunning project, and I will shamelessly admit to filing away many of your tutorials along the way! Out of curiosity, will you need to paint the forward ends of planks as they're hung now that you're closing off the forepeak?

From a humble beginner, please feel free to continue sharing what must seem mundane tutorials!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpatrol View Post
    You commented on the order of things earlier Jim, what a nightmare. Glad there's someone with your ability in charge here.
    Not a nightmare, Andrew, just an orderly sequence of steps leading to a predetermined conclusion...the stuff of daydreams.

Quote Originally Posted by schoonerjay View Post
    Long-time reader and admirer of this stunning project, and I will shamelessly admit to filing away many of your tutorials along the way! Out of curiosity, will you need to paint the forward ends of planks as they're hung now that you're closing off the forepeak?

From a humble beginner, please feel free to continue sharing what must seem mundane tutorials!

Welcome aboard, Jay! I continue the mini-tutorials hoping someone is getting something they can use, your comments are encouraging and I thank you for your interest. To answer your question, the planks in the forepeak area will have to be painted after they are hung but it won't be too difficult

Here's something I worked on today, scoring plywood to resemble square-edge tongue and groove boards. This is one of the bulkheads, and you might recall them having fake vee-groove boards glued to the opposite sides. You can see a couple in the photo, sitting on the floor. This is the back side that will be the interior of a hanging locker. The scoring breaks up the appearance of the ply and adds some visual interest. I've done this on cabin overheads to good effect.

The scribing was laid out corresponging to the planks on the opposite side. A straightedge was clamped on the marks and a scratch awl used to drag a groove into the surface of the ply. Under a few coats of paint the marks give a nice subtle hint of planking.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 04-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Some cheating!! Thank goodness for that!

All looking terrific, as usual - lovely work!

Rick

Jim, as always visiting you was a great pleasure. I am always amazed by your craftsmanship and attention to detail. Since I leased out my boatshop and retired I had the time to go through boxes of old pictures that I took of my boat building projects from the last 35 years. Guess what, I am not in any of them! So here is a picture of you and your beautiful boat. As I have stated in the past this boat is much bigger than pictures show. These shots are from last December. Regards, Rich =http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/Gail_061/media/DSC_0823_zpslt3qw7fg.jpg.html][/URL]

Jim, I just received a very nice card, thanks - Also see your PM's

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Not a nightmare, Andrew, just an orderly sequence of steps leading to a predetermined conclusion...the stuff of daydreams.

Welcome aboard, Jay! I continue the mini-tutorials hoping someone is getting something they can use, your comments are encouraging and I thank you for your interest. To answer your question, the planks in the forepeak area will have to be painted after they are hung but it won't be too difficult

Here's something I worked on today, scoring plywood to resemble square-edge tongue and groove boards. This is one of the bulkheads, and you might recall them having fake vee-groove boards glued to the opposite sides. You can see a couple in the photo, sitting on the floor. This is the back side that will be the interior of a hanging locker. The scoring breaks up the appearance of the ply and adds some visual interest. I've done this on cabin overheads to good effect.

The scribing was laid out corresponging to the planks on the opposite side. A straightedge was clamped on the marks and a scratch awl used to drag a groove into the surface of the ply. Under a few coats of paint the marks give a nice subtle hint of planking.

Jim

so much fun stuff here. I'll be borrowing the "scribe lines on ply" to make my centerboard box on Centennial look less industrial, and monolithic, thanks!