Page 155 of 157 FirstFirst ... 55105145154155156 ... LastLast
Results 5,391 to 5,425 of 5463

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    That is a complex lamination Jim. If I had made it I'd want to show it off, and not hide it under veneer. I wouldn't have made it though, grown knees are more my thing.

Wonderful work as always, pray continue.

Some things is best hid, but the real reason I'm adding a layer of veneer is to make up the thickness of the two pieces. Grown knees are a fine thing if you have a couple of suitable candidates, but you usually need quite a pile available to choose from. Laminating up a piece allows the same species to be used as the toe rails.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    For what looks like an easy piece to cut and fit these corner pieces of the rail are quite complex. You made the lines and transition to the stern look real nice. A lot of times (I believe) these are made to small and just don't look really good. So I suppose the next question is where to put chocks and cleats?

The final decision about the location of the chocks and cleats can be put off for quite some time yet, which is not to say we won't be seeing them placed in various locations just as soon as the current work allows. The sheet horse is constantly in the way but I keep moving it back onto the marks because I like how it looks.

The knees are still in a rough condition and I expect to be slimming them down as soon as the joints are fitted. I might be reducing the inside radius if I think they look to heavy once fitted. The outside edge needs to be planed to follow the curve of the toe rail smoothly.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Ledger; 03-06-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Awesome and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Sherman View Post
    Awesome and then some.

Thanks, Gary, you know I just love this kinda stuff.

Here's another view of much the same thing. As can be seen there's a piece of wood clamped on to serve as a stop during fitting. The sock is filled with white parting dust that I usually use for metal casting, but is being used here like a chalk bag. You dust the deck, rub the piece in place and the dust shows up the high spots underneath. There's at least a half inch overhanging the transom that needs trimming once I work up the courage and can't think of any possible situation where I wisht I hadn't.

That's the transom toe rail poking into the scene with the approximate correct overlap on the knee. The next step will be to cut the scarf on the end of the arm of the knee.

The sheet horse needs shifting back onto its circle.

Here's the inboard end of the quarter knee, scarfed to receive the ends of the transom toe rail.

Don't forget to set your clocks...

Jim

I see what you did there.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

It is a damned shame you can't get oval head bronze screws in larger sizes.
    I had to make them.
    Nice work there, Jim

Really nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    I see what you did there.
    Ok, let me in on the secret, Jim. How did he drive those screws with that Phillips bit?

inspirational and precise! looking good...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Ok, let me in on the secret, Jim. How did he drive those screws with that Phillips bit?
    It’s daylight savings time here tomorrow so we need to set our clocks. It was nice of Jim to build a reminder into his rail.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Nice, Jim. Thanks for letting us gape over your shoulder.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    That's not a phillips bit in the drill, it's a countersink. The screws are driven by hand.

The brass was screwed down without the holes having been countersunk. I didn't want to weaken the strips by countersinking and risk having one bend during handling. The plan was to install the strips into 5200 and then withdraw the screws one at a time once the goop had set up, countersink, and replace the screws. The heads get filed to the contour of the half-oval rub strip for a smooth finish.

Jim

Very nice Jim! Been a cold winter on LI hasnít it? Glad to see your still getting things done despite the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    That's not a phillips bit in the drill, it's a countersink. The screws are driven by hand.

The brass was screwed down without the holes having been countersunk. I didn't want to weaken the strips by countersinking and risk having one bend during handling. The plan was to install the strips into 5200 and then withdraw the screws one at a time once the goop had set up, countersink, and replace the screws. The heads get filed to the contour of the half-oval rub strip for a smooth finish.

Jim
    Jeez, I figured you were tough, but you drive screws with your hands?

That rub rail looks snazz-eee.

Peace,
    Robert

Here's the inboard end of the quarter knee, scarfed to receive the ends of the transom toe rail.
    Photos deleted for a shorter post.

Don't forget to set your clocks...

Jim

Jim, I live in Tucson now and we do not have to reset our clocks at all! Cool Eh?
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    It is a damned shame you can't get oval head bronze screws in larger sizes.
    I had to make them.
    Nice work there, Jim

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Jake, it's a damn shame, and all we can do is muddle along as best we can, and if we have to make it ourselves well we're just gonna you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Very nice Jim! Been a cold winter on LI hasn’t it? Glad to see your still getting things done despite the weather.

Cold winter, Paul, nahhh, this is Long Island. Couple of days colder'n the rest but I remember worse. The greenhouse is like a sauna bath after lunch most days, sometimes hafta take off the hat.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Jim, I live in Tucson now and we do not have to reset our clocks at all! Cool Eh?

Always glad to hear you check in, Donald, and I hope all is well. I'm looking forward to your next model build. Are there any contenders?

Here's the joint on the inboard end of the starboard quarter knee.

Fitting a scarf. The piece on the right is the toe rail crossing the transom. The scarf on the end has been cut to its final dimension. The piece on the left is the portside quarter knee. It's end has been roughly cut to size so the two ends can be superimposed, then scribed, and trimmed to fit.

Is this main traveler through bolted? Just the four holes showing or does the bar have a big bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Raka025 View Post
    Is this main traveler through bolted? Just the four holes showing or does the bar have a big bolt?

There's going to be four quarter inch machine bolts in each foot of the traveler, going through the deck and blocking beneath. I'm comfortable with it.

Here's a little more on the toerail, if you haven't had enough already. The joints are fitted and the parts shaved down closer to the final size. The next thing to do is to drill the holes for the screws.

There's one of those cleats I made, put there just to see how it looks.

Jim

And it looks pretty sweet Jim.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

proportions this balanced don't happen very often by accident, nice job

Really looking nice Mr. Ledger.

Meh. S'alright, I guess.

The cleat looks NICE, Yo. Really. I know we're on to other things, but it looks "right".

Peace,
    Robert

I'd keep the cleats far enough aft, so if the main sheet drops on the deck in some off wind maneuver it won't foul on the cleat coming about.

Thanks all for the kind comments. Navy, I would like to place the cleats far enough aft that a line can be sprung across the transom clear of the cockpit coaming. As you correctly point out sheet fouling becomes a problem, especially during a jibe. I'm kicking around an idea for a pair of slippers of some sort that can be put over the cleat to prevent fouling. It's probably too much trouble to be of practical use but a cleat could be made non-fouling with a couple of shaped pieces of wood held together with a rubber strip. The actual installation of the device could be designed to be accomplished quite easily.

Here's the first time the clamps have been removed and an unobstructed view obtained. Until now it has been impossible to fair the tops of the pieces into each other. The inner and outer edges may now be taken down to their final dimension. The fun part, it's called.

Jim

Herreshoff used pad eyes on the stern of boats to eliminate the problem of snagging the sheet.

The sheet horse is constantly in the way but I keep moving it back onto the marks because I like how it looks.

Jim

This simple statement is, for me, the essence of why.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Herreshoff used pad eyes on the stern of boats to eliminate the problem of snagging the sheet.
    You mean padeyes instead of a horse...of course?

Padeyes would not prevent the problem. When the main is out running downwind if there is a lull in the wind the sheets go slack and can drop onto the deck. Light winds and a chop will create the same problem. The boom can be rigged with a vang and it eliminates the issue. Well of the boom rizing and falling and moving all about anyway. If all that line is out when the boat is tacked it's likely to catch on something.
    Last edited by navydog; 03-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks all for the kind comments. Navy, I would like to place the cleats far enough aft that a line can be sprung across the transom clear of the cockpit coaming. As you correctly point out sheet fouling becomes a problem, especially during a jibe. I'm kicking around an idea for a pair of slippers of some sort that can be put over the cleat to prevent fouling. It's probably too much trouble to be of practical use but a cleat could be made non-fouling with a couple of shaped pieces of wood held together with a rubber strip. The actual installation of the device could be designed to be accomplished quite easily.
    Too bad they don't make bronze pull-up cleats. Non-traditional, to be sure. But would solve your problem.

Looking on as ever, with interest.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Here's the first time the clamps have been removed and an unobstructed view obtained. Until now it has been impossible to fair the tops of the pieces into each other. The inner and outer edges may now be taken down to their final dimension. The fun part, it's called.

Jim

Can I recommend a light line lashing rather than rubber strip, passed through holes in the wood sabots passing between the two legs of the cleat? You can snug them up as tight as you like.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

No, pad eyes instead of cleats. In the catboat, with long boom and short broad stern, you have to watch the corners of the transom too.

No, pad eyes instead of cleats. In the catboat, with long boom and short broad stern, you have to watch the corners of the transom too.
    I can see why a pad eye won't snag so easily, but a pain in the but for securing a mooring line. Unless you tap the hole and screw in a cross bar when you need to moor.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Can I recommend a light line lashing rather than rubber strip, passed through holes in the wood sabots passing between the two legs of the cleat? You can snug them up as tight as you like.

That's a good suggestion, Nick, a few quick turns and there you go.

Thanks for the suggestion, Thad, I'll have to give it some thought. I do have this pair on hand which might be suitable. They will require sufficient commitment to drill two large holes in the deck, after which going back will take some doing. While they would be far superior in the fouling department I think they might leave something to be desired when acting as cleats. They'd be usable, but inconvenient.

Jim

You'll have a cleat nearby for the sheet. One could argue that the padeyes are just the device to lead the mooring line to that cleat.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

That's a good suggestion, Nick, a few quick turns and there you go.

Thanks for the suggestion, Thad, I'll have to give it some thought. I do have this pair on hand which might be suitable. They will require sufficient commitment to drill two large holes in the deck, after which going back will take some doing. While they would be far superior in the fouling department I think they might leave something to be desired when acting as cleats. They'd be usable, but inconvenient.

Jim

If you are considering portable screw in eyes, why not portable screw in cleats?
    Something after this but with a screw thread instead of the flange.

Should not take you long to turn out a pattern for casting.