Thread: Save a 1958 Century Resorter

Default Save a 1958 Century Resorter

It's been almost two years since I finished my last boat project, building Morning Song, a small sailing catboat. For some time now, I have been looking for a new project. Since I have a size limitation (I can only fit up to an 18' boat in my workshop) I didn't want to build just another sailing boat the same size. Also, we discovered that there are many beautiful places we want to explore up rivers and on the Sacramento delta, and a small sailing boat was not an ideal choice for that. I've been following a few Youtube channels that are all about the restoration of vintage runabouts, so when this boat appeared on Craiglist, I knew I have found my project.

Here is the last project. You can find the building thread here http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...e-12-6-Tom-Cat
    IMG_5406.jpg

And this is this project
    IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_20210110_131239.jpg

IMG_5433.jpg

Now that the boat is in the workshop it's time to begin. The first step is to strip it out of all the fittings, seats and getting ready to remove the engine.

I am going to keep a Facebook page for the project with more updates and videos. I am going to keep this thread for more technical discussions. If you are interested to see more updates you can follow the page at https://www.facebook.com/1958CenturyResorter

Default Re: Save a 1958 Century Resorter

I started to strip off the boat to turn it downside up and work on the bottom. The engine is coming out next, and I am still not sure how. One option is to build some structure from 10x2, and once the engine is lifted, drag the boat from below and drop the engine into a cradle. Here are photos of before and after.

00G0G_6miJsYs8Vhsz_0uY0hq_1200x900.jpg

IMG_5646.jpg

Very nice! This will be a fun project for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Very nice! This will be a fun project for sure.
    It is and so far I am happy with what I discover about her condition. The big question is about the status of the engine.

What's the engine? Looks like a great boat.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Looks like a Fireball V-8 from here
    With dual side draft carburetors...

Yes, it's the Graymarine Fireball 327 V8. It looks in a reasonable condition, and the oil is clear (but it may be replaced). Once I get it out, I will clean and service it and try to start it.

I'll be following!
    Good luck with it.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

So it's an AMC 327, not a Chevy I guess. Too bad, as parts for the Chevy 327 are available so cheap. I had the AMC 327 in a Jeep pickup years ago. Seemed a very solid motor & long stroke, slow revs - so makes sense they'd put it in a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    So it's an AMC 327, not a Chevy I guess. Too bad, as parts for the Chevy 327 are available so cheap. I had the AMC 327 in a Jeep pickup years ago. Seemed a very solid motor & long stroke, slow revs - so makes sense they'd put it in a boat.
    Hi Garret, yes, it's the AMC 327. It's very hard to find information about this engine. I am trying to understand if it is considered an engine that is worth saving. Is it reliable? Is it easy to maintain and find replacement parts?

Quote Originally Posted by oferraz View Post
    Hi Garret, yes, it's the AMC 327. It's very hard to find information about this engine. I am trying to understand if it is considered an engine that is worth saving. Is it reliable? Is it easy to maintain and find replacement parts?
    Please understand that my information is from 30+ years ago - but even then AMC 327 parts were hard to come by - though it was pre-internet. My experience was that the motor was a good strong engine though. Maybe others can speak to the marinized versions?