Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139148149
Results 5,181 to 5,187 of 5187

Thread: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Default Re: Lofting the Brewer catboat

Oh and BTW if you do a "moonwalk" could we get a video of that?

Pex is great stuff. Thenheatvtransfer is surprisingly good and once the floor is warm, it stays warm for a good bit. The only idsadvantage is that its not like a radiator or forced air. It takes a while for the whole assembly to warm up. You gotta, kinda anticipate it getting cold out...

Wedging blueboard between the joists a couple inches below the tubing makes the whole system even more better.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Pex is great stuff. Thenheatvtransfer is surprisingly good and once the floor is warm, it stays warm for a good bit. The only idsadvantage is that its not like a radiator or forced air. It takes a while for the whole assembly to warm up. You gotta, kinda anticipate it getting cold out...

Wedging blueboard between the joists a couple inches below the tubing makes the whole system even more better.
    Now there's a fun job (speaking from experience)...

Of course I'm off to install bathroom fan #2 in an attic filled with blown in insulation, so maybe putting blueboard in up over my head ain't so bad after all.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post

That's the current project and the crucial step that makes the whole thing work, instead of radiating away the heat into the crawl space. This is 2" R-14 blueboard with a reflective surface that faces up. I will not strain my credibility by describing what it takes to get good fits in this situation, or what effort is required to get these pieces into position other than to say that it's a good thing it's me doing the work.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Lying on your back, grinding off thousands of protruding nails. You, sir, have the patience of a saint!!!

There's a lot to be said for a bit of mindless work that gets done without much decision making involved, it's almost like having a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    What is the heat transfer like through the PEX and wood? I don't know if I'd ever bother putting radiant in floor heat under a wood floor. But maybe I'm wrong. The only one I ever did was electric under a tile floor which transfers the heat quite well.

Sooner or later the heats going to come through the flooring, Dan. Radiant heat doesn't have the rapid response that baseboard heat or radiators have because the water temp is much lower, but the cycling of the temperature is more even. The boiler runs longer using a smaller flame

Quote Originally Posted by tooljunki View Post
    Okay so we don't know the build up of the floor, but just for comparison, 3/4 inch oak has an R value of .85 and 1/4 inch ceramic tile has an R value of 1. We don't know what type of flooring is on top of the oak, but the ceramic tile is going to need a sub floor of plywood (3/4 inch = R value 1.08), and a coating of thinset mortar (R value .8), so I think it's safe to say that the wood floor is more efficient or aproximatly equal. Jim I am sorry for opening up this can of worms, and I'll not say anything else about it. Glen.

Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by tooljunki View Post
    Oh and BTW if you do a "moonwalk" could we get a video of that?

Yeah, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Now there's a fun job (speaking from experience)...

Of course I'm off to install bathroom fan #2 in an attic filled with blown in insulation, so maybe putting blueboard in up over my head ain't so bad after all.
    What more can you say? If you're staying dry and your fingers ain't half froze off then there's prolly not much to bitch about.

Be getting back to the catboat soon...

Jim

All this talk of making places toasty warm brings me back to the catboat. Do you have any plans for a small heating stove in the boat?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    That's the current project and the crucial step that makes the whole thing work, instead of radiating away the heat into the crawl space. This is 2" R-14 blueboard with a reflective surface that faces up. I will not strain my credibility by describing what it takes to get good fits in this situation, or what effort is required to get these pieces into position other than to say that it's a good thing it's me doing the work.

Jim

Its fun aint it?