Thread: Floating beachable self-contained boat repair shop ...

Default Floating beachable self-contained boat repair shop ...

Hello all,

I'm seeking ideas, pictures, etc. for a kind of boat that would be a self-contained repair shop for other boats, most likely those stranded on remote beaches.

The boat I'm imagining would be shallow draft and beachable, with everything in it that might be needed to repair another boat. It would be dragged or winched up onto the beach next to the damaged craft so repairs can be done right there on the beach. It must be capable of open sea travel between islands so that it can go wherever needed in any of the 7000+ islands of the Philippines.

If you have seen similar boats please post some pictures or website links so I can learn more about them, thanks.
    Kenneth Grome
    Bagacay Boatworks
    www.bagacayboatworks.com

Default Re: Floating beachable self-contained boat repair shop ...

Bolger's interisland cargo schooner would do the job. Designed with a bow ramp for beach loading.

A Wharram cat could provide a heck of a good sized work table although might not have the load carrying ability of the schooner but probably faster to sail and plenty seaworthy.

I'd look at the larger Wharram catamarans. Designed to be self-sufficient and beachable. Your fuel costs would be minimal, too.

Landing craft, garvey hulls with forward working decks, aft cabins, bow ramps that are folding so they are long enough to make gentle angles, bracketed outboards, and moderate horsepower.

MANY are used in the San Juan/Gulf Islands/Alaskan coastline. These are the workhorses of the island communities, and are like pickup trucks for the water. This would suit your plan perfectly, esp if you had a small atv with a trailer that contained your tools.

E

(1) Scow schooner as shown in Chapelle's 'American Small Sailing Craft'.

(2) Large Commodore Monroe round bilge sharpie. refer to book "THE YACHT ALICE" by Henry Howard

http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Dob...20Orbiter.html
    Surface Orbiter - And it's for sale

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Not a classic but a vessel similar to this (but slightly larger and with twin jets) was operating in the Whitsundays doing anything required and we used it for a few jobs on Hayman Island - brilliant, shallow draft, handy, quick and sea worthy. I reckon it would be ideal and could give you the versatility to run your workshop from a 4wd or trailer so that you araen't only restricted to beach work. Hey, if boatbuilding slows down you can take on any trade/delivery work:

http://www.newwavecats.com/boats/bargeon.htm
    Last edited by Larks; 04-14-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: omission
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Bolger's interisland cargo schooner would do the job. Designed with a bow ramp for beach loading.
    Hi Ian,

I would love to see pictures or sketches of this boat but if they are in a book I do not have the book. Do you know of any sketches or pictures online anywhere?
    Kenneth Grome
    Bagacay Boatworks
    www.bagacayboatworks.com

A Wharram cat could provide a heck of a good sized work table although might not have the load carrying ability of the schooner but probably faster to sail and plenty seaworthy.

I'd look at the larger Wharram catamarans. Designed to be self-sufficient and beachable. Your fuel costs would be minimal, too.
    Hi kenjamin and Woxbox,

The big workspace on the wingdeck would be great!

But the more I think about it, a simpler barge type monohull might be better than a catamaran, especially one with tall skinny hulls like a Wharram. A barge would draft less for the same size boat yet carry more. I'm not too sure about seaworthiness though. Maybe a catamaran with short wide hulls?

A barge would be relatively slow too of course, although speed between islands is probably not going to be an issue since the boat will be parked on the beach most of the time. A barge would also cost more to move from place to place via engine rather than wind power, so I still like the idea of wind propulsion if possible, specifically to save money on fuel.

Thanks for the suggestions, there seems to be lots of possibilities here ...
    Kenneth Grome
    Bagacay Boatworks
    www.bagacayboatworks.com

I don't know of an online version of Bolger's cargo schooner. I think it's in his book with a title like "Boating with an Open Mind." Maybe one of our corrospondants here has a copy and can scan the picture.

I take it you're interested in a woodenboat, perhaps the boat itself being the floating resume as to how good your work is. Perhaps?

Many designs by Thomas Colvin would fit the bill.

http://www.thomasecolvin.com/v_bottom_freighters.htm

In the case of this vessel, at 46’, the centerboard was not an option due to the fact that the hold had been converted into a machine shop, including welding machines. The owner planned to travel to various small communities and islands to ply his trade. One of the welding machines was diesel powered, which permitted him to go alongside an anchored vessel to perform any repairs that were needed.
    I still design these small freighters today. Many are used as traveling machine shops or woodworking shops, and several carry a portable bandsaw mill which is set up ashore as the need arises. Several are in the inter-island trades, and still others are used as yachts. While most are straight powered hulls, others are auxiliaries of the sail assisted motor vessel type.
    Last edited by MarkC; 04-15-2008 at 08:06 AM.

kengrome, time is of the essence. If you are faster at arriving for repairs, you are more likely to get the job. A cat will beat a barge most any day of the week. You need to do some research to figure out how much raw materials you need to carry for the average job and then find the fastest, most efficient boat to get them there. If you had quick access to most diesel engine parts, you could grab a bunch for that particular engine before setting sail rather than stock a large inventory on the boat. The same goes for rigging or planking. Just a thought.

I don't know of an online version of Bolger's cargo schooner. I think it's in his book with a title like "Boating with an Open Mind."
    Okay, now I feel like fool. I thought I knew every boat in BWAOM since I have a copy, but you're right, it is on page 202.

I take it you're interested in a woodenboat, perhaps the boat itself being the floating resume as to how good your work is. Perhaps?
    Actually if I built it myself I would probably make it as a ply / epoxy / glass composite sandwich. No, this boat is not for me to showcase my work, it is really just a floating shop that would let me beach it next to any broken boat so I could fix it right there where it sits.
    Kenneth Grome
    Bagacay Boatworks
    www.bagacayboatworks.com

kengrome, time is of the essence.
    I guess you've never been to the Philippines, have you?

Believe me, time is the last thing I have to worry about here. The fact is, there doesn't seem to be any other floating boat repair shop that exists in the Philippines, or if there are they certainly are not trying very hard to get the work I've seen lately.

I simply want to get to boats where they sit damaged on the beach, so owners will not have to pay an arm and a leg to have their boats hauled off to a repair shop somewhere else. Most beaches here are separated from deep water by wide tidal flats that do not allow bigger vessels to get anywhere near the beach. I want a boat that can sail over these tidal flats.

A cat will beat a barge most any day of the week.
    And a catamaran will offer a huge flat working area too.

You need to do some research to figure out how much raw materials you need to carry for the average job and then find the fastest, most efficient boat to get them there.
    Nah. The raw lumber and plywood can usually be sourced locally. It's the tools and equipment needed to fix the boat that are most important to bring with me.

Well okay, glass and epoxy cannot be sourced locally so I will have to bring these materials with me, but they don't take up a whole lot of space like a load of lumber might.
    Kenneth Grome
    Bagacay Boatworks
    www.bagacayboatworks.com

A tug and a barge. Could even put a small crane on there or a large one depending on how big the barge is. A barge can also be staked in place as a floating dock. The tug would also come in handy for maneuvering larger hulls about. Engines could be lifted from their beds much easier etc.

Scows have already been mentioned ......I'll mention them again.
    The scow was an important part of NZ transport for many years and it was used in just they way you describe (Kengrome), shallow draught and beachable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scow

And of course there is also a connection with other countries.......

2007, copyright Gas Light Charters

http://www.gaslightcharters.com/index.html
    Last edited by seanz; 04-16-2008 at 03:25 AM.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

What a cool idea. I want a floating workshop. I would think any tough beachable high floating hull would work. Something that's easy to get in/out of but still seaworthy. Boats with ramps can't take heavy seas. You might consider a ramp in the stern instead like a ferry.

I would think for this particular application a catamaran would be a better choice than a monohull.

Kaa

Ken...when I was diving and salvaging the props/shafts and rivets on the old liberty ships near Hermana Major we took two large bancas and made one large catamaran from the main hulls to be able to handle the weight......two weeks to build the raft, three weeks at salvage, then took the boats apart, put the outriggers back and resold the bancas.....for almost exactly what we had paid plus the profits from the bronze and monel.....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

?? rivets ??

You might find this company practical.
    http://www.billmunsonboats.com/

Very cool.