Thread: Tapered main sheets and spinnaker sheets.

Default Tapered main sheets and spinnaker sheets.

Show me your best efforts, please talk about your wins and finest finishes, also your wrong selections of lines and why they didn't work out.

Post photos and let's compare notes.

I'm interested in why you stitch lines under tension and when wouldn't you stitch lines under tension.

If anyone has a sequence of photos showing their builds, just go for it.

Double tapered cool, triple tapered even better. No amount of detail is too much on this thread. One line posters might have short attention spans, but I'll try to duplicate your best techniques and show you what works for me.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 04-12-2008 at 03:17 AM.

Default Re: Tapered main sheets and spinnaker sheets.

Machine tapered Vectran.

Hand tapered line, braided spectra. The cover is only tucked in by 6 cm. The fluffy cover poking through is cleaned up with a cigarette lighter. If there is a better technique for tidying up the cover, please let me know.

Unravellling and thinning out the cover before the fid drags the line through is essential. 300mm of thinned cover, almost a record. Standing rigging wire, one strand, works well in place of a manufactured fid. Fid kits are available from Whitworths.

I've managed to double taper (6mm dia.cover) into 2.5mm braided dyneema for the tails of spinnaker sheets. Is there anyone making thinner lines than 2.5mm ... apart from Colgate manufacturing dental floss?

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 04-17-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Kind of an obscure specialty topic for the WBF, I'd think.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Warren

What is the function of this procedure?

This seems to go beyond decorative.
    Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

weight reduction for racing sailboats
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

The sheets for my Dragon kite are tapered, but I got them from Petticrows in the UK and have no photographs. I have not come across tapered main sheets before.

The coolest application of this sort of thing that I ever used was the old wire-to-rope genny sheets we used on the 60' IOR boat. The foredeck crew began having to carry small adjustable wrenches on their belts for the clamped loops at the ends. The purpose of this being, of course, that wire doesn't stretch as badly as woven line, but they splice on the line so that you are not handling the wire tails at the winches. Fairly dangerous if not tacked correctly (when I got moved to tailer from the pit I used to get nipped from time to time).

Mickey Lake

"Kind of an obscure specialty topic for the WBF, I'd think."

RBG, to a racing sailor this entire site is an obscure speciality.

Hugh, braided Spectra, dyneema and vectran are used because they are extremely light, have ultra-low stretch and low water retention and give a performance improvement in basically all conditions, especially in light air. Changing cores from a lose weeve core to a braided core gives the performance improvement and changing covers allows you to choose the cover type with a lose weeve that you prefer, one that doesn't absorb water. Normal light weight sheets aren't suitable for all conditions, because the weeve of the cover can be too tight. They can be too thin for comfort in heavy winds and sloppy seas, the covers can be hard to handhold when sheets load up when the weeve is tight. This is about tailor making your lines to what you prefer to hold while having the airbourne lines as light as dental floss. There isn't a wind condition that cant lift the weight of dental floss off a deck. For those who have raced, how often have you flown a spinnaker and thought if only the lines were weightless, I'd be out of here with the kite filled before the opposition knew what hit them?

I like soft silky feeling polypropolene covers with braided cores on spinnaker sheets.

Easy on the hands compared to the multitude of spectra lines found on racing boats. Boats with tailored strings are a pleasure to drive. I've hopped off boats because I didn't like the owners choice of cheap spectra. A poor selection of rope make boats difficult to drive ... making strings light isn't just about buying thin cheap spectra.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 04-12-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    The coolest application of this sort of thing that I ever used was the old wire-to-rope genny sheets we used on the 60' IOR boat.
    The 12meter Gleam that some of sailed on in Newport was rigged this way.

SOP in the 'old days', Paul. What they are using now is much better.

Mickey Lake

LOL. Very true about this site!

Tapered jib sheets.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 04-12-2008 at 12:48 PM.