Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Toyota compact pickup w/ 22R engine?

Default Older Toyota compact pickup w/ 22R engine?

I'm thinking about buying an older Toyota pickup, one of the compact models. From what I've read, the 22R (or 22RE?) engine seems to be legendary -- people describe them as "bulletproof" and talk about getting 300,000 to 400,000 miles or more on the engine. (And at least one of the engines supposedly made it to a million miles.) 1994 seems to be the last year for the engine ... after that Toyota switched to something else.

Anyone out there know more about this? Are the 22R engines really deserving of their reputation ... and really that much better than the later engines? Anything else I should keep in mind when looking at an older truck like this? (It's been 15 years since I bought a vehicle that was more than 2 years old.) Thanks!
    Last edited by Steve Paskey; 04-07-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Default Re: Older Toyota compact pickup w/ 22R engine?

Well a 22R is a very good engine , cast iron head and block if I remember .I can't testify to the mileage , the van I had had about 180k on it when I sold it ....rust was it's main enemy .All in all a good machine and about 30mpg .You should get one cheap these days .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Steve,

1985 was the a good year. The R22 received fuel injection and they still had straight axles on the front (4wd.)
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Jump on it, I could not find a decent 22r so I settled for a Mazda 2600fi. Second choice amongst 4 bangin' rice burnin' truck motors.
    Lot of after market support too. More than is available to mine.

I had one, a 1984 with multi-port fuel injection. Averaged 24 MPG with that extended cab truck, and I drove it hard.

A testament to the engine: One unlucky day during an all too typical New Orleans street flood, I managed to drive it into a low spot as I tried to ford a flooded street. Someone coming too fast in the opposite lane sent a bow wave over my hood, and the engine died.

Turns out it ingested water through the intake, filled a cylinder, and when that cylinder went into its compression stroke it met resistance from the uncompressable water and bent the connecting rod pretty badly.

Since it had 90,000 miles on it, I started shopping for a new engine. For the heck of it, I pulled the head off and observed that there were NO RIDGES at the cylinder tops, no sign of bore wear at all.

I sent the engine to a machine shop where they checked all the clearences and found them to be within new spec, including bearings, bore, rings, everything. We replaced the connecting rod and put it back together. It ran fine for another 20,000 miles when I sold it.

Very impressive.

Go for it......have one parked at the barn with 190K on it 33-34 mpg and not an inkling of anything going belly up...paid 2K for it just to haul junk and back it into the barn......
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Only new vehicle I ever bought, '88 4wd Toyo PU with 22RE engine. That motor is a fine bit of kit, never could kill mine in 18 years of trying. Chain drive cam, so no timing belts to replace ever, -- a good thing!

Sadly, died of the rust bug

moT

Michael Beckman Guest

I'm driving an 88 2wd extra cab toyota. It has the 22RE. I got the pickup with 115 thousand miles.. and a few months later it shot up to 155 thousand. I have no idea what the actual mileage is, the jerk who sold it too me messed with things. But, I have had no problems with it. I've changed the oil a couple times. I did have some trouble with it overheating.. had an air bubble in the cooling system. That was an easy fix, and now it runs fine. I plan on running it until it dies, and then getting another if cars are still used then..

Also, toyota pickups are pretty much -the- truck to drive for boat people around here. >_>

Old Toyotas seem to have good motors and rusty bodies. If you can live without a body then it will be fine. My experience, for what it is worth, is that it is cheaper and easier to fix engines than to fix the body. I currently have a 95 4Runner. Runs fine but holes over each wheel and the tailgate. Want to fix it but not sure it is worth doing.

There are fibreglass side panels available for the pickups.

Randy

Thanks, everyone.

The rust isn't really a problem here: I'm in Sacramento, CA. Looking through Craigslist, I've seen some early 90s trucks in good condition and with relatively low miles ... some in the range of 100-120K. By the time the engine in one of those quits, the fossil fuel era may be over.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsub86 View Post
    Old Toyotas seem to have good motors and rusty bodies. If you can live without a body then it will be fine. My experience, for what it is worth, is that it is cheaper and easier to fix engines than to fix the body.

Randy
    Is that a reference to Cass's thread ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I just gave my 85 Toyota SR5 4x4 xtra cab to my eldest son. It has a 3" lift and is tough as can be. I was told, that the secret to the 22R's was that they were overbuilt for the meager hp they put out. I have heard other owners that really abused them as swamp trucks, claimed they could run at red line all day long. It had nearly 300k miles when I gave it to him and it still runs great. The axles have an integral truss included on the long side which was not present on heavier American trucks using the same type of axles. This one towed a 20ft Boston Whaler 180 mile round trips South every weekend for about a year, survived a collision with a drunk driver and worked it's butt off most of the time.
    Not the most ambitious vehicle on the highway though as far as competitive traffic was concerned.

It ended up being the official launch vehicle for my Simmons and it towed it quite well. I thought it was a great truck. I was amazed on how tight everything still was for as old as it is. That's why I got it and why i didnt feel worried giving it to my son. That and the motor started if you breathed on the key, even after sitting for 6 months, no matter what the weather. You just always knew it was going to start and was most probably attributed to the EFI.

Last edited by pipefitter; 04-08-2008 at 01:00 AM.

Michael Beckman Guest

Yeah, I've never had any issue starting mine. There was one time I thought the battery was dead, but the terminal was just rusty.

I had an 87 4x4 with a 22r carborated I bought new, it started loosing some power at maybe 80,000 and lost more as time went on. It did have to deal with my early drinking days which I'm sure took some years off it. I never had to do a clutch job and only 1 thing had to be fixed besides the normal wear n tear items, the EGR? valve which was a cast part bolted on the side of the engine for pollution control.

It had 170,000 when the frame rotted and I sold it to a freind, he welded it and it felt like riding a solid rock after that. I doubt he put more than 5-7 thou on it before parking it a couple years ago.

the story I heard more than a few times was that the the engine was originally designed for a farm tractor and was used as such at first.

I have known a few go to 250,000 to 300,000 miles including 2 my brother owned, both 2nd hand.

Quote Originally Posted by High C View Post
    A testament to the engine: One unlucky day during an all too typical New Orleans street flood, I managed to drive it into a low spot as I tried to ford a flooded street. Someone coming too fast in the opposite lane sent a bow wave over my hood, and the engine died.

Turns out it ingested water through the intake, filled a cylinder, and when that cylinder went into its compression stroke it met resistance from the uncompressable water and bent the connecting rod pretty badly.

Since it had 90,000 miles on it, I started shopping for a new engine. For the heck of it, I pulled the head off and observed that there were NO RIDGES at the cylinder tops, no sign of bore wear at all.

I sent the engine to a machine shop where they checked all the clearences and found them to be within new spec, including bearings, bore, rings, everything. We replaced the connecting rod and put it back together. It ran fine for another 20,000 miles when I sold it.

Very impressive.
    Most of the japanese cast iron engines use a very hard material for the block compared to older British and US engines, and relatively soft piston rings.
    The result was bores that remained free of ridges pretty much for the life of the vehicle. The caveat is that if you rebuild one, it pays to use OEM piston rings - many of the aftermarket ones are far too hard. The result is that your nicely rebuilt engine never beds in properly and burns oil like there is no tomorrow. Wonder how I know that :-/

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I have a carbureted 85 pickup with 22R (last year for solid front axle) with three inch lift and overload springs, has been driven through water up to the hood more than once, tows a 17 foot Whaler and a Kubota tractor that is really much too heavy for it, so it is on it's third clutch. Needs new seals and hoses but other than that is still fine although the body is not much to look at. Also have a 97 4Runner and both engine (V6) and body are in fine shape. Sadly since about 2000 Toyota seems to have gone over to heavier vehicles, the new 4Runner is not much better than a Cadillac and only comes in automatic.

Not sure about tractors but I have heard a number of times the 22R was designed for the Toyota forklift. I also heard somewhere that the TR6 engine was from a Leyland tractor.

Very happy with my '89 P'Up. We got it as a third vehicle last year, for the teenager when he gets a job. It's got 120,000 on it, just replaced the muffler and a major tune up. The clutch hydrolics will need a replace soon and it does have a few rusty spots, other than that its just works. My Dad's '84 ran and ran and probably still would if the frame hadn't rusted into tiny bits.

Adam

I had heard that the 22R was adapted from the industrial IC too and that was from a Toyota forklift Mech who raced them.
    I think only the ford 300 six qualify's for a similar reputation.

Yep 22r's are just about bulletproof unless you seriously overheat them... with synthetic oil, expect about 400,000 miles out of the engine... within that time you will probably have to do a head gasket and have the head planed. Hard to find a good used 22r motor because when they're used, they're very very used. That said, I would love to have a little hilux with the small diesel engine... now THATS bulletproof.
    Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Michael Beckman Guest

I don't understand why they don't still make these trucks.. all the new stuff seems absolutely silly in comparison.

i had a 1990 toy pickup with a 22 re with 200,000 miles and it still runs and i got a friend with a 93 with a 22re and it gots 500,000 and still running u know if u want good gas miles buy it they ant hard to work on its easy.

Well, here it is! A 1989 SR5 extra cab, 5 speed, 126,000 miles, super clean inside, no dents and not a bit of rust. The owner posted it on Craigslist at 10:30 last night ... he had 5 e-mails before 11 pm, and I was first.

Good deal, 2wd is the way to go.

I got my Mazda for $50 because the clutch was gone. I will have $600 into it for the few minor things but I am very frugal and replace exactly what it needs. Its 4wd drive but for the price I could not pass it up.
    I know you will be happy with the Toyota.
    Last edited by Tylerdurden; 04-12-2008 at 03:26 PM.

It's the only vehicle that I have found that #2 daughter can't destroy....It's always Dad, let me drive the Jag, Dad, I wanna borrow the Buick, Dad lemme drive the Triumph......never "dad, let me drive the truck"....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Steve, that was a fantastic score.
    Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

thanks! I had been checking Craigslist pretty much every hour or two for the past week, except when I was sleeping. I was starting to feel a bit silly about the compulsion, but it definitely paid off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine

there is reference to a loose timing chain problem on that link. Check and see if yours has that problem.

It looks like the same problem to me. I've had a similar issue but the guys from https://chariotsgcs.com/en/category/maximal-en/ managed to solve it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Alexandra View Post
    It looks like the same problem to me. I've had a similar issue but the guys from https://chariotsgcs.com/en/category/maximal-en/ managed to solve it eventually.
    Thanks for the spam
    Tom

IMO, the Toyota is the best all-round Compact Pickup Truck ever produced.

My favorite is the Gen 3 (1979-1983), and I have bought four of them.

One of them, twice.

I can stack 2 dozen 7-foot doors in the bed, FLAT, with the tailgate UP, and haul 'em where they need to go.

Try that in yer 2018 Silverado 'Regular' Bed. At 6'6", you can't even get a standard-height door in there. If you have the crew cab, the bed is only 5'6" long. Like the trunk on a '77 Caddy but without the lid.

They Toyos have a curb weight of ~2,500 pounds, and I know durn well that I have hauled that much in one of mine.

Try putting ~#5K in the bed of yer 2018 Silverado, and make sure you post the results on YouTube.

HA!

You want more?

OK, try putting yer Silverado through a 6' gate.

Still clinging to yer shiny pile of baubles, bells and whistles?

OK, if you ever decide to actually WORK with yer Silverado, yer gonna have to lift everything you haul in that shriveled, stunted, vestigial appendage that Chevy still calls a bed, and yer gonna have to lift it twice as far.

Is this a rant, or a rave?

Rattling the teacups.

The old Toyotas may be great outside the rust belt. Yep - mechanically they'd go a long time - but the bodies & frames would be long gone driven in the north.

Arguably the worst truck for rust ever made - though rivaled by 60's Dodges.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The old Toyotas may be great outside the rust belt. Yep - mechanically they'd go a long time - but the bodies & frames would be long gone driven in the north.

Arguably the worst truck for rust ever made - though rivaled by 60's Dodges.
    We don't have that problem here in Texas.

No salt= MUCH less rust.
    Rattling the teacups.

We have a car museum that hosts car clubs in a field next door. While back it was Toyota campers. Most had 22Rs . Big load. Lots of praise.
    Ask me! I've got my Leatherman!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Thanks for the spam
    Yes, notice this is a ghost thread from 2008. The new bump was from someone advertising a web site.

(I always get sucked in until I happen to notice Paladin's avatar.)