Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirogueing fun

Default Pirogueing fun

Did I coin a new word ?

Oh well , Today was just right for a little venture with my new pirogue. It's easy to car top and launch and will open up a new off season boating use for me. Today was one.

I launched at low water and no wind at the State boat launch ramp Branford CT

Proceeding up river I came across this charming back yard sculptures.

Olive oil and R2 D2

Further up river I spied these two identical ketches in the waer at Dutch Wharf boat works.

Twin ketches . There normaly moored in Farm river

A closer look revealed this

The boats name. And icon on the rudder head

I turned around and went down river to see what was around .

This work boat just waiting for the season to begin

Continuning on this swan let me get close but hissed away, no closer Bub!

Mr. Swan warned me no closer, his lady had her head under.

On I went down river. I surprised this gull.

"All set" is right . He took right off , showing me his back side

keep going Jack the're more to see.

I continued paddling around getting exercise, seeing the sights of a lonely river and curing cabin fever.

You can get out of the bilge too.

I'd post more images but WBF only allows 6 images per post

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Default Re: Pirogueing fun

I can see a pirogues gallery coming.

Nice.
    Even when they work, they don't work well. I blame engineers.
    The only thing engineers have done to the toaster in the last 80 years is make it disposable. I think it applies to a lot of things

Thankyou J.Dillon.

You can get out of the bilge too
    And get attacked by a swan?
    Not I.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

It's going to be J Dillon 27 years in a 11 foot boat WOW!!!!

Gareth , This one is 13'9" I want you to know.

BTW even a smiley counts as an image by WBF.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

JD,

Nice pics! Thats the type of quiet boating I love.

Any comments about the build or use of the boat, i.e.

1) Which plan did you finally choose?
    2) Did it meet your expectations in terms of the "quick build?"
    3) Does it meet your excercise requirements?
    4) Any problems paddling against wind or current?

You've inspired me to put some air in the tires and get my rowboat in the water soon....one of the reasons I'm asking these questions is my neiece's BF is trying to decide if a "pee-row" is a worthwhile project for a similar tidal river.

Thanks

J. Breeze, I think this thread covers what boat I built. http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75077 Wasn't it the one you recommended ?

It went pretty quick and fufilled most of my requirements.

It does paddle nicely but I have to refine my paddling technique to get full back exercises. Goes good against the current but it was only about 1 kt. Wind ? I haven't take it out in any substantial wind yet. I would recommend this one for a first time build for anyone. Larry B.also puts out a plan as well. I did have duct tape problems and found wire much better but others said the duct tape works fine. Right now I'm using cheapo paint from HD a good house grade with UV addatives paint and varnish . Time will tell how it works out.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Keerist....I never looked at that thread....I guess at my age when I saw the title "Theory....

Glad it worked out....noticed the comment about "tracking"....a small keel, maybe 1/2" thick, 2" deep at the transom, tapering down to nothing about 3' from the transom may help. You could make it from a couple scraps of 1/4" ply, glue it on with epoxy and fiberglass tape. If it doesn't help, just saw it off.

Nice pics of the build.

Pirogues can be great. Here's one I designed -- 2 sheets of plywood long. I use it to run the shallow rapids in my local river.

Great looking boat Jack. Looked at your other posts and I admire your ingenuity with the truck rack.

Did you invite Olive Oil join you? Is that the Connecticut River?

Agree with your comment "You can get out of the bilge too" . My observation looking at some of the posts in the bilge is a bunch of folks afraid to get outside and instead just sitting in front of their computers at least eighteen hours a day (even at work). They will not survive!!

I will have the pulling boat out of the barn in a month. In the interim, I am working in a heated shop on some large RC sail boats.

abe

Dave, you look like you know what you're doing but kneeling ain't for me. It's too much like praying.

Abe, I guess you got a few weeks to go before you can chase this RC boats around.

03/18/08 13:30

It was calm on the Quinnipiac river, just a few fisherman hoping for a strike . They said the stripped bass were running. Cool and glum clouds didn’t deter any or me. The river was ebbing maybe a knot. Only one took any interest in my launching but followed me closely as I stroked up river .

It was a maze but I found my way out

Each little off shoot was worth exploring and some proved to be a dead end while others meandered back out to the river. I could see one could get disoriented as the little off shoots have other branches and do present a maze challenge to get back to the river.

The remains of crude duck blinds showed little imagination but were littered with hunters left overs. mainly bottles and cans. Same for the fisherman I noticed.

More than a few tributaries had this discouraging signs displayed.

This sign warned of environmental hazardous pass this point

However I paddled on hoping to approach wary duck but off they went at 100 yds. Same for a circling turkey vulture he was over one spot losing altitude but on my closing with the scene he went off.

Sadly the banks along this river were littered with debris washed down from up river I suppose during recent flooding. The hunters and fishermen couldn't’t possibly leave it all. Our local river keeper does have a clean up program in the spring. I intend to find out when and sign up.

I took a shot of a man made but empty osprey nest but It didn't come out. However use your imagination. It was on a post about 16' up and had a raccoon discourager sheet metal cone on the post.

Imagine here

On returning all the fisherman were gone, including their refreshments . I guess there's hope.

Here are some more images on Pirogue improvements;

When I position the Pirogue for lifting up on my truck rack, I make sure the stern is dug in till I get aft to lift her on. This keeps it from rolling off the rollers. To prevent wear and tear on the stern I have a

copper star epoxied and nailed on to take the wear and tear.

I may have to make a new one out of SSteel.

Notice the bigger wheels.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Gosh, I'm not kneeling. I can't do that either.

Although you can't see it, my butt is resting on a simple bench seat. It is not attached to the hull, but consists of a simple 8x18 piece of plywood held up by 2 2x8 pieces, one at each end, padded to avoid marking the hull.

This works very well. I can "kneel" in the best way to control the boat, but the weight is on my seat, not my joints.

Also, since the seat is portable, you can change the trim of the boat, going to the middle to un-weight the stern for running rapids, and retreating back to one end for flat water. At that point you sit on the seat with at least one leg forward.

Very simple and practical.
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 03-21-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: had to fly across Greenland (LHR-YVR)

Hi Larry,

I'll wait till the water warms up before I try that.

Am getting used to the pirogue but will not try weights. Too much in my dotage.

I did some expermenting with skegs and glassed on one measuring 24"X 4". It proved too much as it was difficult to turn the boat. So off came 2" . It now measures 2"x24 " and allows me to track and turn well.
    A good compromise.

During a recent trip on the Quinnipiac river I came across this nesting pair of Osprey They didn't let me get too close but I managed to get this shot.

An interesting break in the river marsh grass tempted me to land

A short walk in I saw this wreck, many miles from Long Island sound.

Her name was CONTESSA

Near by there were many deer tracks and this little fellow(muscrat) ambling along.

He wasn't the least bit disturbed by my presence on his turf.

back on the river I saw this fisherman just as he caught a stripper.

He had to throw it back in as it was too small.

I meandered along exploring little inlets some dead ends and covered about 3.5NM, good fresh air and exercising. Just what I wanted to do with my Pirogue.

Pirogues are fun and easy to build and get in the water, even for ole farts.

I will be getting a new camera as salt air, water and a lot of knocking around has this one undependable a lot of times it just didn't work.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

While the paint was drying on my rot repair for Carrianne I made for the Quinnipiac river with my new Pirogue. There are several Osprey nests. Three are occupied with nesting pairs. I was able to get several images with my new Panasonic DMC-TZ3 10 power optical zoom. The osprey are quite fussy and protest my getting near but seem to be tolerating me more as they can see I'm quite harmless. I saw many nesting Canada geese and very wary ducks. This launch site is a favorite for duck hunters. Swimming muskrats are always surprised seeing me and my stelth Pirogue appearing out of the marsh grass.

Here are two of the best Osprey shots I took.

JD

Senior Ole Salt # 650

Great boat, I love it when the simple options work so well. And those shots of the Ospreys are fantastic! We have Sea Eagles and red hawks living on the tuft cliffs further along the coast.

You are having too much fun with the simplest of boats. You are proof positive that confirms the idea that every single person needs multiple boats to enjoy it all depending on the mood and the area!!!! Thanks for the shots.

Thanks J, as soon as the snow melts clear I am going to rehab mine.
    Where did you find the seat?
    I used mine a lot with a simple bench but after I broke my back it was too uncomfortable. Haven't used it in four years though the boy has put some wear an tear on it.

Mark,

The folks at Newfound Woodworks have a nice canoe seat you could probably use as a drop-in on your boat. It is available with a curved frame and press-in cane. Then go buy yourself a Crazy Creek canoe chair. It's got two straps to hold it in place on the seat and a padded, adjustable backrest with carbon fiber stays. Makes for a comfy combo.

DAMHIKT

"Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

An overcast day on the river with not much luck in capturing my quarry with camera. The fishermen tell me there's a nesting pair of Bald Eagles on the river but a bit too shy for me. I thinks I see the nest but today was low water, even too thin for my pirogue to get in there. Besides I don't want to get neaped or even lost in the maze of inlets to access the suspected nest.

I did manage to get some more osprey shots but missed an opportunity to get a beaver swimming,( too slow with the camera) a whole flight of Great Blue herons. (A bit to far) . So the game plan is to get out there early some morning on a rising tide and use my stealth craft to better advantage.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Are you talking about the seat I'm using? If so, you can't buy it. But it's very simple -- nothing more than an upside down U. The legs are about 8" long, and the base as wide as your butt. The pad the bottom of the legs with some blue foam cut off a sleeping pad so you don't mark the hull of your boat.

I just cut bits off a 2x8 for the legs, and a piece of 3/8 plywood, 8" x 18" for the seat. Glue and screw.

It is very nice to be able to trim the boat. When pushing hard up wind you slide up into the middle, and thus the bow doesn't stick up and get caught by the breeze. Downwind, the opposite. The seat make this easy because it's not attached to the boat.

Dave

"There are no stupid questions" let me challenge that theory.

Has anyone hung a sail on a pirouge?

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden View Post
    "There are no stupid questions" let me challenge that theory.

Has anyone hung a sail on a pirouge?
    Yep, a crabclaw works just fine without a leaboard too..

Erster, can you go further with that?

Between coats of varnish on Carrianne I've been "Pirogueing" and able to observe the Ospreys in more intimate moments. There not monogamous. I have 7 nests under observation

Here's a few shots I took this week.

I didn't get the shot of her second partner but pissed off this one.

Does any one know the gestation period for osprey ?

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Google is your friend.

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/o.../05/index.html

Per the above (first paragraph, next to last sentence) it is 38-39 days.
    Goat Island Skiff and Simmons Sea Skiff construction photos here:

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...esMan/?start=0

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37973275@N03/

"All kings are not the same."

Crabclaw ...

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

hey this may be an oversimplification, but they are bascially thin dories right? (yes i know they aren't dories, but for an idea of the whole boat shape) i've always liked little boats that look functional...and these look light and fun, groovy pics too
    "It doesn't matter what it says on your tombstone, having one means you're dead." -Methos
    "May you have fair winds and following seas"

oh ok...yay canoes
    "It doesn't matter what it says on your tombstone, having one means you're dead." -Methos
    "May you have fair winds and following seas"

Still Pirogueing . This stealth craft allows you to get in close without disturbing the birds.

Can you identify them ?

JD

Senior Ole Salt # 650

??
    Oyk (Oystercatcher)
    Sanderling?
    ??
    ??
    Tern - Common or Arctic (not Roseate)
    Even when they work, they don't work well. I blame engineers.
    The only thing engineers have done to the toaster in the last 80 years is make it disposable. I think it applies to a lot of things

#4 snowy egret ?
    #5 great egret ?

The birds above are;

1. Whillet
    2. Oyster catcher
    3. Least Sandpiper
    4. Great Egret
    5. Artic Tern

Saw more of the same today but also this ole pram that needs some work.

A Snowy Egret designed for quick easy take off's from a dead stand still.

What a beauty.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Got a chance to go Pirogueing for a couple of hours over the week end.

Pirogues can easily go up narrow creeks and tidal estuaries. Sometimes I have to back out.

Got an image of this squirrel way out of place. The nearest tree was at least 300 feet away and that was across the river.

Got this shot as this Great Blue Heron was taking off.

Tried to get all three birds in this shot but didn't quite manage it.

I did get this Artic Tern having a snack.

His or her mate like to hang out on this anchored piece of wood.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

I've heard of a canoe described as "The Poor Man's Yacht". Sometimes I think it's "The Wise Man's Yacht".

Dave

JD, that is really first class nature photograghy. I like your whole outlook.

My friend's dad passed away last year at the age of 94. He was famous in our area for paddling his canoe year round in the meadowlands. My friend found this among his dad's papers.

Marsh Bounty,

One windy day, I explored some islands of charred cedar stumps in the Kearny marsh. I was searching for possible loot hidden by pirates. In the middle of one of the islands, appeared a yellow glint. Getting closer , I saw it was a small overturned turtle. It seemed to be dead, but I put it in the canoe and continued on. After a while, the turtle started moving, so I returned it to where I found it and it scampered away.

The warm glow I felt was treasure enough.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

JD-
    I've been lurking this thread for a while, and really enjoy it. Thanks.
    Thread drift risk: what kind of camera and lens do you use?

C. Ross,

I used a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 . It has a 10X optical Zoom. I like it but not the aiming system. Viewing moving subjects ( wild life) at 10 power is difficult . They keep getting out of the picture screen. I impvovised a sight by epoxing a length of brass rod to the top of the camera it but that needs more thought as well. Maybe sometiong like a peep sight might work better for me.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

It's been a while since I posted a pirogueing image but today I caught these 5 swans in flight. Usually their just swimming around.

What a great day to be on the water.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Some clouds moved in but they looked interesting.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Was a nice warm day for a paddle today - a bit more sun would have been nice, but it's hard to complain about 60 degree days in November when you live in New England.
    - Bill Mason

You may or may not be interested in the pirogue I built in Florida and left on the Severn. Lokk me up on Lumberyard Special.

I agree this is the way to go, preferable to the kayak.

Henry Dewing

I haven't posted too much on this thread in a while but the other day I was proroguing on the Mill river in New Haven Ct. East rock park section.

My buddy and I came across this uninhibited raccoon who took no notion of our presence.

East Rock Park New Haven CT

When I first spotted him he was digging in the mud

He decided to take a swim right for me

Mr. Racoon didn't even say hello, just swam to the other side of the Mill river.

What flotation he has.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Hi JD ... any piroguing adventures lately? Are you happy with her and what would you do differently if you had to rebuild her? What was the finl weight?

No more questions

Lance
    "Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors". African Proverb

Still piroguging Lance. Will post some images later.

Very content with her. A few more coats of paint and varnish has brought her weight to just under 50 Lbs.

As Dylan sails his, I'm musing that idea as well, but a capsize in winter waters ....

I've all ready done that three times.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Well today was the day to get in the water or is it on the water ? launched the pirogue on the Q river at almost dead low( this river is a tidal estuary)

This vessel is a stealth machine. I surprised three deer when coming around a bend. They could hardly move in the tidal mud but got away before I could get out my camera. Went further up this tributary and got this shot. There so curious and had to look back. From a safer vantage point of course.

This turkey Vulture was warming up for the days scavenge.
    Saw several heaps of stone but this one was all brick. I suppose it was dumped as used ballast but the wood structure behind makes me doubt.

This river at one time served as a highway for farm produce into the city of New Haven CT.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Jack where did you launch?
    We must go too far in order to know how far to go. Yeah.

Mike I usually launch at Sackett Pt. road. Probably the worst launching ramp in the state of CT ...but unlimited parking. Very popular spot for fisherman and water foul hunters. It's behind Tilcon.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

The nice thing about a pirogue is the places it can go and things one can "harvest." Recently acquired some additions to my fender collection. Some clean and bran new, others with some barnacles that are easily removed. A "high tide harvest" I calls it.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Quote Originally Posted by J. Dillon View Post
    The nice thing about a pirogue is the places it can go and things one can "harvest." Recently acquired some additions to my fender collection. Some clean and bran new, others with some barnacles that are easily removed. A "high tide harvest" I calls it.

JD
    Excellent harvest, Jack. Good for the boat, good for the river.
    - Bill Mason