Thread: 23' Seabright Skiff By Reuel Parker

Default 23' Seabright Skiff By Reuel Parker

WaterCraft calls the design sleek. Has anybody seen this design? I like Parker's Monroe Sharpie Egret plans. I guess the 23' Seabright has a cabin.

Default Re: 23' Seabright Skiff By Reuel Parker

I have a drawing of it. I'll scan and post it later today, it does indeed have a cabin.
    Last edited by GregW; 03-12-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Have a link?

E

Reuel Parker's designs and building methods got me interested in cruising again after two years of living on land in Andalucia. I think it was his 28' Pilot Schooner that caught my imagination. Can't wait to see his Friendship sloop study plans. I should probably order them.

Here she is.

Great little boat. Great house and rig. How is it ballasted? Draft? Let me guess: 3/8" marine ply on 1/2" bulkheads? True character. I want one. I bet it would cruise very well.

The sprit rig is unfamiliar to me.

ballast is 500 lbs of combined water and lead from what I have read.
    Would make a great coastal/camping explorer that boat!
    Last edited by mizzenman; 03-14-2008 at 03:12 AM.
    Ragnar B.

Does she have a rolled garboard keel or boxed garboard keel? Not bad looking, not enough freeboard to try to pass for a real Jersey skiff though.
    (Have to say, I do dislike that term "Sea Bright skiff", it's really like saying you have a "coupe" or a "sedan" when asked what kind of a car do you have.)

I see there is a 18' Seabright Skiff listed in the Parker plans file. This one has cruise capabilities. Interesting.

I'm waiting for Parker to design a glued lapstrake 26' Block Island double ender. Cat ketch. Sitting headroom. World traveler.

As to the Block Islander, he has plans for a 28' Isle of Shoals which seems like it would fit the bill. You could do it in lapstrake although it is smooth planked.

That's a great looking boat. I wonder why I've never seen it before? I've been to Reuel Parkers site many times. Are there any specs anywhere, beam, draft, type of construction etc. This might be the boat I've been looking for soooo long! Chris

Length between perps: 22'10 1/2"
    Beam 6'
    draft 10"
    ballast 500 lbs lead and water
    Weight 1500 lbs approx

Construction: Marine ply covered with epoxy saturated xynole. The hull is frameless being built over bulkheads. Options for planking include: lapstrake, chine log and stitch and glue. The boat can be built open or with the cabin.

I just thought it would be nice to see Reuel Parker design the definitive Block Island cruising boat. 25' or 26' would be between the Isle of Shoals and the 23' boat from Chapelle ASSC book. The is a forumite that built the 23' BLock Island boat and sailed it all over the place.

The 18' Seabright Skiff sounds like a neat little cruising boat. Heck, if I could sail it across the Atlantic without drowning or starving to death, I would. Remember, there are a lot of fish out there bigger than the boat. And they're usually hungry.

Does this boat use a centerboard? And does anyone know the set layout the cabin? How many she sleeps?

there was a design write up in watercraft magazine some years back,i dont have the copy to hand otherwise i would scan it. She carries a weighted centreboard,and as already mentioned,some sheet lead ballast either side of the centreboard case. Room for two berths up front,over the top of the water tank/air tank in the bow. A nice boat,best kept as simple as possible, and luxurious in comparison to some boats that have crossed the atlantic, Reul was apparently inspired by Charles Webb and his almost circumnavigation in an open Drascome Longboat. Cheers

1500 lb displacement with that rig? The SA/D ratio doesn't look very promising. Cute though. Reminds me of Culler's styling.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

From what i recall from the article, it was pointed out that the hull was so easily driven, (like a dory) she didnt need a huge rig, also the low aspect ratio of the sprit induced less heeling on what is a slim and not particulary heavily ballasted boat. He didnt advise adding a taller or bigger rig. Cheers

Oh I agree that the rig needs to be kept low, but that boat looks under canvassed even by sailing dory standards.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

Off topic, but the rig reminds me of Tilikum, which crossed all the major oceans:

I think the Parker design is another gem, at least appearnacewise, as almost all his designs are.
    Last edited by JimD; 02-16-2011 at 10:32 AM.

I've ordered his small craft design catalog so hopefully I'll find out more there. I believe it's the simplest rig on a boat that size I've ever seen - which is part of the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Oh I agree that the rig needs to be kept low, but that boat looks under canvassed even by sailing dory standards.
    Agreed,it does look small. I have the same rig on my 17ft Vattern Snipa, my first experience with sprit rig, and i confess to be amazed by its simple efficiency. My only gripe,and its a common one, is getting the sprit end in the sail while hoisting. I shall be making some minor tweaks for the comming summer. I guess you could always stick a wee lug mizzen aft for some extra area,would look good to i reckon. Cheers

I received the plans catalog. He says in here "While the hull will be initially tender (keep your spars and sails light), she will be extraordinarily fast, weatherly and easily driven. I see no need for a motor of any kind." He recommends a 10' sweep for sculling and says "In a flat calm you will easily sustain 3 knots." Very little of the boat appears to be below the waterline. It's certainly appealing. Something else I could not tell from the image above, it has a raised deck cabin and virtually no side decks abaft the cabin. He also notes that the skill level required for construction is moderate to high.

"While the hull will be initially tender (keep your spars and sails light), she will be extraordinarily fast, weatherly and easily driven.
    I call BS on that one! That's trumped-up advertising copy. My own 20' open boat which is 1000 lbs lighter has more sail area. And I don't "easily sustain 3 knots" in her under oars either, and I am an experienced and well-practiced rower with hundreds of miles behind me. That description is sheer hyperbole verging on fantasy!

A realistic claim, such as "this is a safe and manageable sail area for an easily driven hull" would have been much more believable. Trust me, I'm all for simpler, no-octane, sail & oar cruising boats, but pumped-up hype about them instead of being objective doesn't help anyone!

Well, without having built and used one it may be hard to say if his advertising blurb is a little far fetched....though i would agree with James to some extent, i guess a lot of it depends on how you define extraordinarily fast? s for sculling at 3 knots, maybe possible in a short burst with a proper Yoloh,in flat water and no current against you....maybe. I dont know many people who would row or scull a boat this displacement anyway when there are so many cheap 2hp outboards availiable......just the thing to annoy James . Cheers.

+1
    I'd be so bold to say it IS undercanvased, looks like a motor sailer, nice lines, I would move the mast to just forward of the cabin with a small self tending jib and much larger main... but thats another boat.

very cool canoe, reminds me of Centenial dory preserved in Gloucester Ma, hwere is Tillikum?

Tillicum is in a Maritime Museum in Victoria BC. It's made from a single-log dugout canoe!

Oh yes, and Tillicum had two entire masts more worth of sail area than the Seabright does. I don't think more masts would work out very ergonomically for the Seabright though, unless it were rigged as a cat-yawl. A cat-ketch, schooner or ketch rig would all plunk a mast down right smack in the middle of the cockpit space, clogging it up unpleasantly.
    Last edited by James McMullen; 02-18-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Tillicum is in a Maritime Museum in Victoria BC. It's made from a single-log dugout canoe!

Oh yes, and Tillicum had two entire masts more worth of sail area than the Seabright does. I don't think more masts would work out very ergonomically for the Seabright though, unless it were rigged as a cat-yawl. A cat-ketch, schooner or ketch rig would all plunk a mast down right smack in the middle of the cockpit space, clogging it up unpleasantly.
    There were quite a few modifications to Tilikum, including added freeboard and ballast. It was 38 ft long, I recall. That's still not much sail for a 38er. One wonders if the sails would catch any wind at all in the wave troughs. Apparently it pointed into the wind brilliantly with just the mizzen, waiting out gales.

Atkin Big Surprise, 21' Auxiliary Seabright skiff:

Always been curious about these Atkin skiffs. Never heard from anyone on the forum who has owned or knows anyone that has had any of this type, Surprise/ Big Surprise/ Two Brothers/ Lena ETC. I would have thought if they performed as expected/stated, they would have been a popular boat. Im still interested in the concept of a fast under low power day sailor. Seems today most people are just happy sticking ever increasing sizes of outboard motor and forcing some boats to go faster while consuming a lot of fuel,never mind the noise and wash/wake. Cheers

I asked Parker what made the boat "extraordinarily fast" with what appeared to be a small rig. He says it's an easily driven hull and the rig is not small for the displacement and wetted surface. I guess until one is built I won't know for sure.

Sorry if this is off topic, but do you have any further info ont "Big Suprise"? I don't see it on Atkin's site. I have been considering the purchase and pursuit of Suprise for a few weeks, and I'd like to compare the two before making a decision...

Big Surprise was in BDQ, I will check which one when I get home.
    "The hand feeds the mind."
    Weston Farmer

BDQ #22, lines and study plan along with Mike O'Brien's thoughts.
    "The hand feeds the mind."
    Weston Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    There were quite a few modifications to Tilikum, including added freeboard and ballast. It was 38 ft long, I recall. That's still not much sail for a 38er. One wonders if the sails would catch any wind at all in the wave troughs. Apparently it pointed into the wind brilliantly with just the mizzen, waiting out gales.
    Voss made good use of a sea anchor as I recall .

The specs on the website list this as having a 7 foot, and Watercraft lists this as 6 foot. The Watercraft article was published in 2006. I assume the plans you would get are for the beamier boat. I wonder if the sail area has been increased. Anyone buy these plans yet?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Anyone buy these plans or study plans yet?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Heard from Reuel, he says this could also carry a cat ketch rig.

I might be tempted to shorten the cabin to just a cuddy, or do away with it completely and use some kind of tent/canopy setup for sleeping on deck. That cabin is pretty small (low)