Thread: Damn- I lost my elephants foot!!

Default Damn- I lost my elephants foot!!

Bidding on Ebay for a real elephants foot- off at the ankle, hair and nails still there. I was going to make a really cool end table out of it- mahogany top- probably inlaid with something. I bid high and waited 7 days- remaining top bidder each day. Then within 15 seconds of expiring, some dirty SOB outbid me. How do they do this so fast?

Default Re: Damn- I lost my elephants foot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale R. Hamilton View Post
    Bidding on Ebay for a real elephants foot- off at the ankle, hair and nails still there. I was going to make a really cool end table out of it- mahogany top- probably inlaid with something. I bid high and waited 7 days- remaining top bidder each day. Then within 15 seconds of expiring, some dirty SOB outbid me. How do they do this so fast?
    It's called snipping. There is software that you can download that will place your bid at the time you specify (15 seconds prior to closing is usual).

I'm surprised that eBay would allow an aution for a real elephants foot.
    Allan of the Grove - S/V Laura Ellen, 1937 Gaff Schooner
    http://aylard.ca http://bluenosejr.com
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Sniping is quite legal. If you can't beat 'em, snipe too. The only bid that matters is the last one. Here's two programs (not a recommendation, just examples).

http://www.auctionsentry.com/
    http://www.auctionsniper.com/

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

esnipe.com seems to work well for me.

It is free for some reasonable number of auctions and then a reasonalbe amount after that (they have a schedule of fees).

What then crossed my mind was the remembered observations of a philosopher, regarding a fish's view of an elephant crossing a stream. To the fishy eye the elephant would consist of four umbrella stands, four separate entities perambulating with no apparent connection, giving no clue as to the bulking reality of the rest of the pachyderm above the waterline.
    A quote from the great Maurice Dodd, just to inject a little religion and philosophy into this thread.

Dale if TN is like NY it is illegal to have one anyway, in fact it might be against federal law.

I think there is some allowance made if its an antique. Anyway- doubt if Ebay would accept ad if illegal. Oh well- back to searching

Could you use something in a smaller size? Perhaps for a cake stand?
    Free on the beach.........
    ----------------------------
    A severed right foot, wearing a sneaker, was found on Friday washed up on the shore of Valdes Island in British Columbia, Canada. Itís actually the third foot to turn up in six months on the small islands between Vancouver Island and the coast of B.C. The previous two were also right feet and sneakered.
    http://fanpotai.wordpress.com/2008/0...-up-in-canada/

"dirty SOB"? He obviously wanted the horrible item more than you. It's an auction. Enter what you are willing to spend.
    Chances are that you are lucky though. It very well could have sent you to prison.

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander2 View Post
    Could you use something in a smaller size? Perhaps for a cake stand?
    Free on the beach.........
    ----------------------------
    Am I alone in smelling chocolate here?
    Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html

Quote Originally Posted by Larry P. View Post
    Dale if TN is like NY it is illegal to have one anyway, in fact it might be against federal law.
    Are you sure about that? I thought that if you could document that something like this was brought into the country before such laws went into effect then it was legal to own such items.

That said, even if I have that right, the seller should have been very clear in the details about the item up for auction regarding the documentation available to support a claim that the item predates the applicable laws.

be careful about sniping, as it can give you surprises that you don't want, like bidding out of your budget range..
    ebay seller(s) are picky about bidders, They'll remember the highest bidders who didn't pay... And they can disqualfied (block) you the moment you start bidding on something you really do wants
    Last edited by boylesboats; 03-10-2008 at 01:41 AM.
    save a nose, pick a banjo

You can legally purchase a controlled item if it was in the country prior to the law going into effect and the documentation from the customs goes with the item. As an example, my camera bag and the film canisters are elephant skin, taken in asia during the war...legally....however....I legally took a tiger while on the Cambodian border (was not really intentional, but she was eyeing me for lunch from 6 feet away), I had the animal processed and received the papers....but...when I finally re-entered the U.S. it was a prohibited item.....customs ended up with my $1000 tiger skin rug....same with the ivory, it was brought in pre-ban but before I can sell, should I so desire, now I have to register every single piece. I do have a claw that they missed, right next to the jade buddha and my gold dawg tags.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

There are places where it's still very much legal to hunt African Elephants. In those places, elephants are doing just fine. The reason being, hunters will pay more per elephant than poaching can bring in. Therefore the locals protect the elephants from poachers.

It may not be the golden solution, but it's effective.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".