Thread: Building Bolgers' Champlain

Default Building Bolgers' Champlain

I just ordered and recieved plans for the Bolger-designed Champlain. I would be most interested in hearing from other builders of this boat.

I just got the wood - 1/2" Ozigo fom Quality plywood in Clearwater Florida and will start building in the next few days.

Default Re: Building Bolgers' Champlain

IIRC Peter Lenihan built or is building a Champlain or similar Bolger design.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper View Post
    IIRC Peter Lenihan built or is building a Champlain or similar Bolger design.
    Pretty close Lynn but it is the WINDERMERE I am building.Sorta like a 31 foot version of the CHAMPLAIN

There is a fellow building a CHAMPLAIN not too far from me in Marieville.

What kinda questions ya got Saltiguy ?

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Thanks for the response. I'm most interested in whatever modifications people have made, and reasons for them. For example, I'm considering moving the gas tank to a below-decks location, rather than in the side compartments. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I want to have the fuel compartment sealed, but ventilated and accessable for future inspection/removal.

How to ventilate holding tank?

I'm thinking of moving the engine location aft as well. Looking for ideas.

Smile Re: Building Bolgers' Champlain

Saltiguy,

The present gas tank location(outside the living quarters) is probably the best and safest location and very easy to vent.

This boat is outboard powered(9.9hp). How much further aft do you think you can really locate or want to locate the engine?

If I remember correctly,the holding tank is ventilated outboard,from the side.

The design,as is,is set up for max use of available space.The location of important weights(gas tanks and holding tanks) is optimized for stability and safety.

Am not aware of any builders who have strayed far the plans. With Bolger, it is also not always a good idea to go too far off as some of his plywood designs are optimized for working with standard 4X8 sheets of plywood.Any changes you introduce may well end up costing you more in materials.

Perhaps a quick FAX to Bolger with your proposed changes will generate a more acceptable response. Also, you may wish to check out the YAHOO GROUP for BOLGER. Lots of pictures of completed CHAMPLAINS and at least one under construction.

Happy Building!!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Thanks Peter,

I checked the Yahoo/Bolger site. Sadly, they no longer have a photo section. Photos would be interesting, and most helpful.

Bolger locates the fuel tanks in the side lazarettes. I plan to have a center location below decks under the cockpit sole. Questions of future access and ventilation are my concern.

Saltiguy,
    Here are a few pictures I took some years ago down in Florida of one CHAMPLAIN during construction. As you can see, the interior is huge for a 22'footer. I'll go fetch a few more photos for you, but will not be able to post them much before 0200hr ET once I have a bit more time.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Thank you so much. These photos are very helpful. It's nice to see the layout and the bow fillet. I wondered about that.

Thanks agian!

Last edited by Banjo; 02-25-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: add more pics
    Regards, Mark aka "Banjo"
    http://banjosbackyard.blogspot.com

Saltiguy,
    Here are a few more of a CHAMPLAIN being built showing the bottom being turned over.More to come in the next posting

Peter
    J.Lennon

Saltiguy,
    And there you have it,one bottom over easy As you may have noticed, the fillet piece around the box-keel is not all that big but will serve to help reduce waveslap on an otherwise dead flat bottom structure. Also worth noting, there is scant space available to locate your gas tanks anywhere within the living envelope and none to speak of under the forward cockpit. Their present location,as per plan, in those two lazerettes, is ideal. The lazerattes can be made such that the tops can be opened via hatches for inspection/tank change/cleaning etc purposes.
    Again, their location is ideal for safe ventilation of vapours outside the living accomadations,safe fueling at dockside, shortest run possible for the fuel lines and zero ordours within the living space. All good points deserving your serious consideration before attempting a relocation/modification to an already ideal placement of these two compartments.

Standing against each side of the builders bowshed are the two side panels,already cut out and ready to be installed once the bulkheads are erected in place.The individual panels are joined using the "Payson Fiberglass Butt Joint". Very strong,very easy and most necessary to avoid losing any length on the full size panels to more typical scarf joints.

That's me with the green shirt standing in between the photographer for the flip and a very happy and relieved builder .Hope you find suitable inspiration for your build

Peter
    Last edited by P.L.Lenihan; 02-25-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    J.Lennon

Salitguy,

Here are a few more to inspire you. The first one is FENESTRA, the original(prototype) CHAMPLAIN followed by two pictures of Han Van Pelts' MUDLARK which Banjo posted a couple of up above. The interior of MUDLARK is rather nice with a very clean and thoughful execution done by a builder who also happens to be a cabinet builder.

Enjoy!

Peter

J.Lennon

Saltiguy,
    Just for the fun of it, here are a few pictures of the boat I am building taken in the early stages.The boat is WINDERMERE, the big sister to CHAMPLAIN at 31' LOA. You can see that the fillet piece around the box keel is considerably more developed and that she comes with a centerboard to help negate the effects of cross winds during low speed manouverings. The second picture gives an idea of the size of things and even shows my ex-MICRO(sniff,sniff,boo hoo) on the new owners trailer.Enjoy

Peter

J.Lennon

Thank you Peter - and Banjo too

The photos are most helpful and inspiring. They give me a taste of what lies ahead. In the "turning over" photo, I notice the builder used a vertical layout in building the sides. Bolger shows a horizontal layout ( 2 rows of 3 sheets laid the long way) but I much prefer the vertical layout. It will enable me to use my preferred method of lap-joining the sheets as opposed to butt-joints. I started today, cutting lap joints for the bulkheads. With my router I can cut dead-perfect lap joints quickly and perfectly, and have the benefit of a secure well-glued joint.

Peter, you're doing an impressive job on your Windermere. That bottom is a work of art. I saw the study plans for your boat in MAIB. She's a beauty, but too big for me.

The Fenestra boat with the bright finish is what I want to do. She has that old-timey classic victorian look I like.

Thanks once again for your help

Hi Saltiguy,
    Thanks for the compliment! Bolger came up and paid a visit to the boat and found I was being too fussy about things(HA!) but was nevertheless impressed with how things were all coming together despite my personel obsessions.

I do not suppose there there is much difference in how one builder or another joins his side panels together(vertically or horizontally) just so long as the finished OUTSIDE dimensions remain true to the plan. With your lap joining, you will have to keep track of how many inches you lose per seam and add this back on,either at the bow or stern.Otherwise the bulkheads and other structural members will not properly line up and you will end up with a boat actually shorter then the plans.........keep this in mind as you assemble your side panels!

Can't wait to see some photos of your progress.

Good luck and happy building!!!

Peter
    J.Lennon