Thread: Pictures of Lapstrake 21' Alden Indian

Default Pictures of Lapstrake 21' Alden Indian

By all accounts the Alden Indian --- actually designed by Sam Crocker then employed by Alden --- is a fine boat, beautiful and fast. Also reasonably trailerable for a 21' footer. I've purchased the plans and am giving serious consideration to building the boat. It appears suitable for glued plywood. However, try as I have --- and I have searched to no end --- I'm unable to find any pictures of the lapstrake version. I've found a number of pictures of the carvel version, but the lapstrake seems no where to be found.

If anyone has any pictures, that would be greatly appreciated. Would like to see it on the water. Thanks

Default Re: Pictures of Lapstrake 21' Alden Indian

Where I grew up(Winthrop Mass), the Indian was one of the boats that sailed in the local interclub races. What a beautiful boat! The only ones that I remember were lapstrake. I'll see if I can dig up some photos.
    " Be all that you can be"

Tom browse around here..........

http://www.aldendesigns.com/classics.html

I found a couple of our Alden 21 and some info to .

Eric
    When half the people are happy half the time...is it still Democracy?
    People's opinions are like a map, once expressed, everyone knows where they stand.

Is this the boat your thinking of?

Photo's courtesy of Valeria Hunter, age 6:

Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

I tried to get some of it under sail, but it's too fast, I could not catch it.

I can easily catch Fame, and catch almost any sailboat under 20' leaving the harbor, so these move right along.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Thanks for the pictures. Wow! This does look like one fast boat. Would work to on the smaller lakes of the Midwest. Looks like one fun day at the beach! You can certainly still see the dory heritage in the boat! Thanks for the pictures. Very much appreciated.
    I've been to the Alden site --- they sell the carvel planked version there --- but never found any pictures.

I really like the look of these open cockpit boats does anyone know where there is one for sale?

There is one for sale at Atlantic Challenge. It's a carvel planked one.

http://www.atlanticchallenge.com/boats/donated.shtm

Steven

And there's a fleet on Nantucket Island in Massachusetts. They may know of one for sale somewhere and here's the Nantucket Yacht Club's website: https://www.memberstatements.com/login/login.cfm

At the end of the slide show on NYC's site there's a photo of three Indains racing.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

wrong URL

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Maynard View Post
    wrong URL
    Try this https://www.memberstatements.com/tou...m?ClubID=12181

otherwise Google Nantucket Yacht Club
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Interesting that the previously mentioned Alden site has the "Indian Class" listed in the One Design Fixed Keel section. Certainly the drawings there have a fixed keel.

However, the "Fifty Wooden Boats" Catalog shows a 21' 2" Indian Class by John G Alden with a centerboard. It has an 18" draft with the centerboard up and says it is Lapstrake construction. The "Indian Class" with the fixed keel at the Alden site calls for Carvel planking.

The lapstrake centerboard version plans are available at the wooden boat bookstore:

Tom's pictures seem to be of a centerboarder.

Not exactly sure why there is adifference.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post

Steven

Thanks for the info i'll check out.

Rufus

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post

Steven

Thanks for the info I'll check out.

Rufus

Here's one I looked at last fall. It needs some major work.
    You'll have to replace some frames, etc. But the big thing is the fiberglass sheathing over the ( wide ) broad strake. It'll have to come off to fix the leaky centerboard trunk... and you don't know what else.

Still, she's an original Narragansett Bay type. The boat is in Point Judith. Let me know if you want to follow up.

You might also look at the Crocker Compass, an 18 foot version.

Just clarifying, that is not me, and its not my boat in the pics.

The out of the water shot is at Redd's Pond during spring, when the air is filled with the song of the random orbital sander.

The in the water shots were taken last summer, I was rowing, Valeria had the camera. This is me, same day, not my lunchbox

The Indian in Tom's pictures was sold last Fall, back South of Boston. One great sailing centerboarder!

I rebuilt and then sailed one for a number of years. They are fast within the type, but no planing dinghy. With displacement boats of the size not one except a Dragon we dueled with could give us a run, and never off the wind.

It spreads a cloud of sail, with fairly complex rigging. A tall spar, running back stays and such.

A great boat! Very well balanced and fun to sail. It's a racing boat designed for fairly mild conditions, 350 lbs of lead in the bilge, 230 sq. feet of plain sail, and an open cockpit, so keep that in mind.

Building one glued lap would work fine. It may be the only way to build one with any ease today, unless you added some planks. The garboard on Sacagawea was fourteen inches wide if it was an inch. Planked in beautiful almost clear cedar.

I'm one of the new owners of Cheyenne which is pictured above. We managed to have many nice sails along the Marshfield/Duxbury beaches last summer and fall. It is a great little boat, fast and a lot of fun to sail. It has a new spinnaker but we did not have it rigged for that yet, one of this summer's tasks. My co-owner has 2 other Indians that he acquired earlier with hopes of rebuilding. He still plans on trying to rebuild at least one of them. All three are lapstreak. I have a decent camera and can send you pictures if you let me know what you're interested in. Rob

Good to hear from you Rob!! She does sail great doesn't she. It would be good to bend new ribs in the starboard side and get those rusting stainless bolts out of her but she's a grand boat. Have fun!!!

Hello Thad, we're expecting to get the boat out from under the tarp this weekend or next. Ribs and the stainless hardware are towards the top of our list. Is it your boatyard that cared for Cheyenne? If so, I met you when we came up that day when they were racing the model sailboats next door. I was the better looking one.

Good and Yup. Good luck with your looks. I just sent Greg the link to this thread.

there is(was?) one on a small lake in central wisconsin, built by the late ferdi nymphius. the lake is only a few miles from where his yard is. my wife's family had a cottage on the lake. i remember watching it silently slip by the pier and i couldn't feel even so much as a wisp of a breeze !. IIRC, it was lapstrake.

Real beautiful boat we have one on the Merrimack at mosquito park.
    dan
    http://dansdories.googlepages.com

if anyone is interested I have almost all the bronze fittings and parts except for the main mast for an Alden indian circa 1921
    also have a good set of sails and the rudder with the bronze shaft
    soon to have also a set of plans for the boat ..
    john

ps the poor thing was way too far gone to rebuild .. but do have lots of bits and pieces as well ..

Quote Originally Posted by jedodd View Post
    if anyone is interested I have almost all the bronze fittings and parts except for the main mast for an Alden indian circa 1921
    john

ps the poor thing was way too far gone to rebuild .. but do have lots of bits and pieces as well ..
    Very interested. PM sent.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by jedodd View Post
    john

Hello John,

do do you still have the Indian parts? I have the one that was mentioned in the thread from point Judith that needed a lost of work. The work is being done and I could use some parts!
    Larry

I know this is an old thread, however, if someone would be interested in an Indian class sailboat. My Grandfather had a couple of them built in the 1920's. My Dad tracked one down in the 1970's and sailed it for many years. Tonto is it's name #36. It's still in the barn. Dad has since passed on, but everything is still there. As is the case with old wooden boats, nobody in my family has the time or skill to get it back sailing again. I'ts on Cape Cod. Not really sure of it's worth. But its way too nice to junk. If anyone would be interested in more info, email me at craigsjunker@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Chruspy; 09-03-2020 at 08:18 PM.

I have always thought they were drop dead gorgeous.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Email sent. I just bought the Crocker Alden #148 plan for the Sakonnet Indian.'