Thread: Thoughts on this Boat/40' Owens Tahitian

Default Thoughts on this Boat/40' Owens Tahitian

Can anyone help me out here i have been looking for a wood boat for awile and came across this wonderful old 1964 40' Owens Tahitian, it has been weekend liveaboard for a person for awile now in San Diego , it was last out of the water in 1999 for a full inspection repairs and paint .

I dont know a whole lot about wood ships and any help comments and any other chat about this ship would be very helpful in making up my mind about this one, i am about 1200 miles form where it is moored at.

Cheers
    James

Default Re: Thoughts on this Boat/40' Owens Tahitian

8 years without a haulout is a loooong time. get someone who knows a lot about wood boats to have a good look, out of the water, before you put down a penny. You need to look to.

Another Owens? 1961 Flagship 35 here. Spend the money to have it hauled and hire a surveyor experienced with wooden powerboats. They may not be cheap, but they'll be worth every penny.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

1200 miles away? If you are near the water and in the states, that would put you around Seattle. If so, there are a ton of mid sixties, Ownes type boats available for real good prices. Hell, I bet there is a great deal on a mid sixties power boat any direction you go 1200 miles...
    Where are you?

DAN

I am in Vancouver BC,i have looked a bit up here but big Boats still bring lots of money up here it seems, the woman that owns the one down south is getting old and cant go out in it any more , i can probably but it for really cheap she is only asking 10000 for it and wants to sell really bad.

Cheers
    James

Before going much further with this see if any boat haulers would move it to BC and what they'd charge.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

These boats are going for a dime a dozen. Unless you plan to move to that boat, the savings on that boat will be gone just getting it home. I'd keep your eye on Seattle Craigs List and your own there as well. It used to be that boats got cheaper as you went South. I dont see that in the PNW market atall right now....

I love walking the docks and taking pics. If you see something in between Seattle and Port Townsend, dont hessitate to let me know. I'd be glad to check them out for you...

DAN

Someone in Seattle should go look at this one.....

I would if I was anywhere near it.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...213128125&rd=1

Thank you for the advise and that one in seatle looks dam good and the bid so far is pretty low,i guess people just dont want the wood boats any more, i talked to a dealer up in kelowna BC of old wood boats and he told me as long as one is kept up they will last a long time and be more enjoyable to cruise in .

Cheers
    James

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldust View Post
    Thank you for the advise and that one in seatle looks dam good and the bid so far is pretty low,i guess people just dont want the wood boats any more, i talked to a dealer up in kelowna BC of old wood boats and he told me as long as one is kept up they will last a long time and be more enjoyable to cruise in .

Cheers
    James
    James, it really depends on the boat; what she will fetch is almost always a function of tangible, measurable conditions. The owners know best what the value of the boat is. We've said this many times, but the worst thing you could do is get involved with a cheap boat because it was "priced right." This is not at all to say that wooden boats aren't usually great value. In fact they are, but the old rule....you get what you pay for....still prevails.

I have seen the boat Gary provided the link for. It is more properly an "Owens hull." There is nothing wrong (necessarily) with that, and no insult is intended, but it has had extensive modification. That would need to be examined before one gets too excited. For the right person it might be a bargain, but for the wrong person it could prove a nightmare. Again, a professional, experienced and keen eye is the key to a good purchase and satisfying ongoing experience. Take some time and do a lot of research.
    There's no reason to go to great lengths. The Pacific Northwest is a haven for fine old wooden boats and perhaps the best place in the country, if not the world, to buy one, or so say I. There's so much to know, and there will be many good opportunities. Take care, and time.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 01-22-2008 at 09:10 PM.

I emailed the guy but realized I cant see it before it goes up. Going back to PT in the morning. He emailed back as a Richard.
    Lew, do you know of a slum lord guy that used to be around named Richard? He would rent to buy or just rent as a live aboard all his terribly cared for boats. I heard he was leaving town after he had his leg broken with a hammer for renting out a boat he didnt even own.... It couldnt be the same guy, could it?

DAN

Edited: Nevermind. It's the guy that does donation boats across from Sea-Mar... That's got to be a good gig huh? Get boats for free and sell them for whatever you want....
    Last edited by BETTY-B; 01-23-2008 at 12:08 AM.

My first wooden boat was an Egg I got at auction. I was lucky to be working at a boat builders at the time so the best Marine carpenter in the joint went with me. Always the best advice if to take someone with experience along and use the survey as a guide.
    Mine was damaged in a gale and it was all topsides, The carpenter knew quickly that it was far less work than what it looked lie (rare).
    I made out, but before that boat I looked at at least twenty.
    Good luck in your hunt.

Dan,
    I don't know the guy, and it sounds like I don't want to! I missed the story somehow as well.

I saw the boat at the CWB event this July, where it had a for sale sign on it.

It could be a serviceable boat but the house isn't the original construction. It looked to me like the boat had been gutted and entirely reconstructed to another plan. That could be good or bad depending on several factors, but the work seemed crude.

As Lew said in his message #10 in this string, you really need to have a knowledgible look at any boat you are thinking of purchasing: either you are confident of your abilities to assay a boat or hire someone who is capable. Boat photographs are almost useless in determining the condition of a boat - if it looks OK in a picture, it could be really in almost any condition; from Bristol to recent paint over coruption. If it looks bad in a picture - it probably is probably bad in real life. (the boat in my avatar is the Monk about 2 months after I bought it - funny that even the much larger size photos don't really show the rotted out plywood foredeck, 7 frame ends, beam clamp on the starboard, etc)

Having said the above, I bought my 34 foot Monk in January 05 from "boatguy" aka Pacific Marine Foundation on a winning eBay bid. The folks at Pacific Marine Foundation's boat selling function are decent people but they are not your best friend either.

I had seen the Monk several times prior to the ebay auction and had the Volvo diesel started for me prior to my submitting a bid. The bidding closed on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon during the NFL playoffs and there was not any late bidding action. Still don't know if that was because the likely bidders were distracted by football or they had more sense than me.

In any case, I knew when I bought the Monk, there was going to be a lot of work - however it was style of pre-war bridgedeck cruiser that I wanted in pretty close to original condition. I have had the transom replanked professionally but for better or worse, I have done the rest of the work to date myself. I am not a good wood butcher but I enjoy the working on Monk - This forum is a incredible resource - as noted before for every problem presented there is usally 4 or 5 knowledgible folks presenting 7 or 8 solutions.

just wish there were more hours in the week especially when working 48-50 hours a week plus an hour a day commuting.

As Dan said there are many good Owens, Fairliner, etc 1960 era wooden boats thoughout the Puget Sound area. Best of luck.

Another source of available boats is the members of this list. I know of a roughly 30' Monk for sale on my dock for $10k. I also know there is a 30' 1940's Chris that could probably be saved from its derelict owner with a little investigation...

The Monk is a nice boat, although a bit smaller than the Owens you're interested in.

Also, here is a link to an upcoming auction here in Seattle that has few 35'+ wooden boats:

http://www.salmonbaymarina.com/auctions.html
    Last edited by dnadave; 01-24-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Adding link to auction in Seattle

This is a bump so that the original poster can see the link to the upcoming auction in Seattle. The date of this auction is quickly approaching.

That Salmon Bay auction looks like there might be a couple of killer deals about to happen.

Speaking of Monks, it's a downright Monkfest in PT right now. There must be at least half a dozen in the yard. And big old schooners too. As well as a bunch of other real cool old wood boats. I think I'll go take some pics and do a PT post later... My bad on the thread drift. My bad? Nver used that one before. My bad...

DAN

Smile Re: Thoughts on this Boat/40' Owens Tahitian

Thank You all ,

I must say thank you to all of you who have taken the time to give me some very great advise on looking for a wood boat, advise that i will head and i am willing to listen to any one around the nothwest here that might no of something good for sale, i must say what a bunch of great people here and thanks again.

Cheers

James Beamish

I looked at dozens of boats. Everything between 40 and 50 feet that had any prospects were on the list.

In the end, I bought a bigger project than I'd hoped or planned for anyway, but at least the boat had great bones, great lines, heritage, historical interest and all that crap. Well, that's how I justify it nearly 15 years later, anyway. Point being, you can't do too much looking and research. Without a doubt the best advice I'd give someone coming in cold is: Buy the very best boat you can. Don't look for a bargain, look for a great boat. A great boat IS the bargain.

Great advice here.

that being said, old Owens ... ESPECIALLY of the Grenada (37'); Tahitian (40'); and EXPECIALLY, ESPECIALLY the Aruba (42') variety are a dieing breed ...

Good boats ... although not built to last a lifetime. Their cross/diagaonal double planking was strong, but in time, it proved to be a downfall ... as in the repairs weren't/aren't easy.

As someone that grew up in/with/on a 1959 Flagship (Owens), I've fondness for them. wonderful, pretty boats for what they were intended.

Still some great ones out there ... I'd happily trade my 1964 Chris Craft aft-cabin for a 42' Owens Aruba with the TRI-CABIN layout (3 staterooms).

Sure their are plenty of 'matches' out there in mid-1960's boats ... but few decent Owens left!

Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

So, any news?!??!?!?!?
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

James? News????

I always thought that people who put ASAP in their listing immediatly put themselves at a disadvantage. Like this one:
    http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/boa/553390627.html

Interesting prospect.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

You Seattle guys clearly have an oversupply of affordable wooden boats.

Dan's craigslist posting is interesting. $3500 obo, recently refastened garboard and broads, faired and repainted? I'm guessing there's a long list of little things, probably one or two major things. Might be worth the cost of a survey to the original poster.

Or at least taking a look, though it is smaller than his original interest. It's hard to imagine a really complete or trouble free boat at the price, and the mechanicals are old, but it could be, as they say, a worthy project. The thing that's critical to impress on initiates is that they should never act in haste.

I'd be all over that if I didnt alreay have enough boats. Well, I still need a large schooner. And a sweet little lapstrake sailing dinghy for BETTY. And.... And.....

DAN

Man I would be all over that too. If only fuel were cheap.
    I could not stand owning a dock queen.

I have the eight cylinder version of that motor. The Royal. 3 1/2 gallons an hour wide open. They are simple to fix. Plenty of parts. Easy on gas. And they are very reliable. Plus they sound really cool....

DAN

Added. I have never had to fix my Royal, but if I had to, no problem. I have never owned such a simple motor...
    Last edited by BETTY-B; 02-02-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Motorhead rulz!!

I looked at the 36' piolethouse boat for sale in Vancouver BC.. Betty B you were right about ASAP being a disadvantage... The fellow let the boat go way to cheap.. Great deal

Quote Originally Posted by Marie16 View Post
    I looked at the 36' piolethouse boat for sale in Vancouver BC.. Betty B you were right about ASAP being a disadvantage... The fellow let the boat go way to cheap.. Great deal
    Are you saying you are the lucky new owner of a classic bridgedeck cruiser? If so, congrats! If not, what did it go for?

DAN
    Last edited by BETTY-B; 02-06-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: A passport's pivotal to my oyster....

Yes Dan My husband and I bought the boat.. It is quite interesting the fellow had all the original paper work for it. It needs alittle TLC but that is about it. This is our first wooden boat. So we are very excited about it. We didn't pay the asking price we were very lucky and got it for a great deal.

Fantastic!!
    OK, so, I'll be out here in the New Post section waiting for all the pics and details then!! hehe... :- )

That's great you have paper work. All of BETTY's paper work and past logs were thrown away by the previous owner. When he threw away his car! Errrr!!! He should be glad that if I were to run into him, chances are I wouldnt recognize him...

Well, that's one boat to someone. What happened to James?

DAN