Thread: House paint vs. marine paint

Default House paint vs. marine paint

Who has experience with using house paint inside an open hulled boat?

I'm building a Herreshoff Coquina in glued lapstrake plywood, and I tried to find a satin off white / ivory marine paint, but there seems to be not much out there except high end topside paint plus flattening additives.

So I'm wondering if other folks used just "regular" house paint for a traditional boat, and how this worked out over an extended period of use.

Thanks for advice,

Breeeze

http://web.mac.com/w123.153/iWeb/Breeze

Default Re: House paint vs. marine paint

My boat (37' converted salmon troller) had latex house paint on the exterior, including the topsides when I bought it and I have continued using it since (about 6 years). It is very durable and easy to touch up and clean up. I am always amazed when I go to sand it the following year (or two) at how hard it has cured. It takes some serious grit sandpaper to scratch it for the new coat. The only complaint I have is that you can't get much gloss. The brand I use currently is Behr, from Home Depot. Its cheap, but when the boat is repainted every year or two, I really don't care that it might last only ten years instead of fifteen on a house.

I used Benjamin Moore alkyd floor paint on my little lapstrake boat, inside and out. Works fine, and can be tinted any color you like. If you prefer to use marine paint, I don't see why you can't get it tinted as well?

George Kirby Jr. Paints will mix what you want. I just recently used their "sand" color on the inside of my new dingy. The paint did seem to dry to fast and be a little difficult to get a smooth finish, so I added a little penetrol to the final coat. But, now I need to ask what kind of primer to use on the exterior of the hull for the marine enamel. The hull is made from sapele 1/4" WBP plywood.
    Thanks Chuck

I use latex housepaint on the inside:

Just about any oilbased green on the rails, and have been using California Paint black oil based housepaint on the hull, but I may switch to latex when I run out of the current supply.

The boat is in the water from May(ish) to November every year, I do the outside every year and the inside every other year.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

All of my boats are painted with latex porch and deck paint inside and out.Orca was painted last in 2005, and has not needed to be touched up yet.

Orca at Elk City Campground 2006

It is really tough and cheaper than exterior latex. It is also easy to touch up and holds it's color.

Above: Cleaning up April 2007 for Depoe Bay Wooden Boat show

Of course good prep is also needed. Prior to refinishing Orca I took her down to mostly wood.

That's right wood, only fiberglass is on the bottom, no epoxy saturation. Just good ol porch and deck in and out. Approaching 20 years old and still going strong.
    DirtSailor

It isn't going to build itself so get busy!

" ... and have been using California Paint black oil based housepaint on the hull, but I may switch to latex when I run out of the current supply." - Tom H.

I would question the logic of doing that Tom.

The rule is oil over acrylic not acrylic over oil.

After saing that, ... if an owner wanted me to paint an exterior acrylic over an oil based paint and didn't want me to wood the boat before I painted her, I would use ESP, Easy Surface Prep (also from Flood Industries) as the linking layer before applying the acrylic base (which North Americans unfortunately call latex) to stop the acrylic from prematurely cracking and peeling.

The base of a latex paint is actually acrylic. The word latex refers to the water within paint and not the paint base.

I'm not a fan of using acrylic paint on boats. Not because an exterior acrylic isn't an excellent paint, they're awesome for longevity ... but because exterior acrylics paints don't glow. They lack presence.

Automotive acrylics ahave good presence and have a high degree of UV stabilization, but they are generally though of as being too soft for use on boats. I use automotive acrylics for painting aluminium masts and spars ... but always clear coated as the top coat to improve the hardness. Then they glow.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-29-2007 at 02:56 AM.

There is an advantage, however minute, to using the gloss paints with flattening agents. With the Brightsides version of the system, you apply the full gloss coats which are a better sealer before doing the final coat, which is the only coat to use the flattener. The one part alkyd poly's are quite resistant to staining or mildew. On some trim on the interior of my boat, I used premium gloss yacht enamel just to try it (which would be comparable to exterior alkyd house paint) and used the brightsides with the flattener in the last coat for the majority of the interior. Stains come right off of the additive paint even though it is semi flat whereas the straight gloss enamel will stain and mildew. It just seems that using flat or semigloss throughout would stay wet longer with use from being more porous than the glossy undercoats would and may oxydize prematurely as well comparatively.

coquina was originally light gray inside -trust me I know as I held a piece of her that is hidden in one of Herreshoffs desks.

paint- see if Rylard /Brava has their white yact primer-its what you need, I painted my Coquina, and my Riviera with white oil based marine primer, you can throw in some varnish to gloss it up a touch.
    There's one rich man onboard and there's twentyfive poor men and they enjoy it more then the rich man does -Jim Kilroy when asked if yacht racing is a rich mans sport.

Kelly Moore Tredcoat Industrial Floor Enamel, an old-fashioned gloss alkyd oil without poly modifiers. Tint base or premixed colors available at less than $30.00 a gallon.

Red lead primer, 3-5 thin coats of floor enamel sanded in between, and the gloss softened by rubbing out with red or gray Scotchbrite lubed in paste wax. Many thin coats followed by rubbing out with a mild abrasive to remove imperfections and smooth the surface makes a finish nice to feel as well as look at. Using finer abrasives in succession, you can polish back to a higher gloss if preferred.

Warren,

You're almost certainly right, but I am going to look at gloss paints in latex to see what is out there. The boat is (obivously) not very large, sits on mud at low tide, gets pulled onto sand, shingle and rock, and has little girls jumping in and out all the time. If what I see does not look so good I will stick with the oil based.

I am looking for the right balance of quality and expense. I go for higher quality paint on the sloop.

Tom
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Parker Marathon alkyd oil paint. It is somewhat fast drying so it helps to do the work under moderate conditions, not in hot sun etc. About $25.00 a gallon.
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

I have noticed that high quality house paints (sikkens rubbol SB/XD) are actually more expensive than boat paint (sikkens gloss). What would be the reason? Both are conventional, alkyd based paints as far as I know.

I suspect more boats than houses are being painted in the Netherlands. That's the only reason I can think of as to why boat paints would be less expensive than house paints.

I am exterior latex from the bootstripe up ... easy, cheap, VERY durable, and VERY forgiving without having to start over!!!

My logic was/is- a house gets much more weather than my covered boat!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

I used Sherwin Williams high gloss enamel on my Penobscot 17, over an off the shelf high build primer.

It has held up okay, but people use Kirby's and others and swear by them. Are the marine paints worth the extra money for a boat that spends far more time on a trailer than in the water?
    I am near to painting my present project, a Welsford Pathfinder, am undecided which paint to use.

Two 34' gigs with sears house paint
    Last edited by Andrew; 01-07-2008 at 07:11 AM.

It's not the picture on the can that makes the difference. It's what's inside the can. As Smalser said, there are quality oil based paints that don't have boats on the label which are equivalent to any "marine" paint. It's the PAINT in the can, not the picture on the label. Paint your boat with crappy paint and it will look crappy. Then again, do a crappy paint job with expensive paint and it will look crappy also.

Easy, Bob. And where did you get the picture?

... and well said, Cleek!!!

Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Bob,

As usual, you are right to the point of this. I wish I had a copy of the post you made almost 10 years ago about painting boats. It was classic, and I learned a lot from it. The most important thing I learned was that just a little foresight and preparation goes much further towards a good paint job than buying more expensive paint.

I've never tried house paint or latex. George Kirby makes fine paints, but there are certain shades which give me trouble no matter what mixture I use of Penetrol, thinner, brushing liquid, or driers. Go figure....my neighbor says I'm nuts as it works fine for him. Z-Spar is still one if my favorite enamels, but the color selection is getting thinner and thinner. Last year I found two cans of Spar Buff #89 sitting on a shelf in a hardware store, and thought I had a major score! Interlux Brightside is good also, but I find the finish just a little 'hard' except for my cabin top and cockpit benches. I'm tempted to try some Epifanes just to see what it's like.

Needless to say, I'm always learning (and re-learning).

Correction

Not Sears but something we got at Ace Hardware, bottom paint on the bottom. One boat stays in the water, one is pulled up on davits. We row 4 times a week, weather permiting. When we have two boats worth of crew we'll switch which boat goes back on the davits.

Acrylic latex paints weather very well, don't tolerate mechanical abuse very well and are tough to sand with the finer grits.
    Oil (Alkyd) paints don't weather as well and will chalk sooner, tolerate abuse better and sand more freely. Porch and deck alkyd enamels are formulated for a little extra toughness. Boat enamels (e.g. Brightside) are glossier than ordinary alkyd paints, don't cover as well and are more costly.

For the interior of a fine boat like a Coquina, I'd use a semi-gloss alkyd enamel from the local paint shop.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 01-07-2008 at 09:35 AM.