Thread: GE Silicon II won't cure

Default GE Silicon II won't cure

I've used GE Silicon II sealant for all kinds of projects over the years and never had anything but perfect results. I put some tan colored stuff down to seal a bathtub a week ago and it’s not curing properly. In some places it's still tacky; in others it's still wet. The only thing I did differently was to put the unopened tube in a bucket of warm water (90-100* or so) to warm it up for about half an hour then gunned it out as usual.

I laid a couple of test beads last night and noticed there wasn't that typical strong vinegar-like smell. They're also still tacky today, same as the tub. The tube has been stored upright and the expiration date is 3/09.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
    Any way to get it to kick?
    Any suggestions on cleaning up the mess before doing it again?

Default Re: GE Silicon II won't cure

1-866-ASK-GESA

Call them, its a bad batch. I stopped using it after similar issues.

What's the batch number on that tube, John?
    Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html

I'll have to post it later. Have you had problems?

Just recently, and- surprisingly - on a tub.
    Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html

Sounds like a major PITA to clean up.
    From the GE web site.
    The silicone is hard in the tube. What should I do?
    The silicone has cured (dried completely) and cannot be used. If the silicone cartridge or tube was recently purchased, it should be returned to the hardware store or retailer for a refund.

The silicone will not cure. What should I do?
    Check the “Use By” date on the bottom of the cartridge or the top of the squeeze tube.<> If the product is older than the “Use By” date printed on the product, safely dispose of the product. It is too old and will not cure. If the product is within the “Use By” date printed on the product, simply call the GE Sealants & Adhesives Customer Service number, 1-866-ASK-GESA, for a complete refund.

How do I remove uncured silicone?
    Remove (scrape, wipe, dig-out, etc.) the uncured silicone the best that you possibly can and then scrub the area down with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to remove any remaining oily residue. Only use solvents in a well-ventilated area and follow all safety precautions and instructions listed on the product label or as otherwise provided by the manufacturer. Material Safety Data Sheets regarding GE Sealants and Adhesives product are available upon request from us at 518-237-3330. Similar information for solvents and other chemicals you choose to use with GE products should be obtained from your suppliers. When solvents are used, proper safety precautions must be observed.

What if the silicone skins before I can tool it?
    Work with smaller sections. For example, run a two-foot bead, stop, tool it and continue by applying another two feet.

The silicone sealant turned yellow. Why?
    A silicone sealant may slightly yellow if used in an exterior application (where it receives sunlight or UV light) because of the performance additives in these products. This slight yellowing will not impact the performance of the silicone sealant. Contact GE Sealants & Adhesives if you require further assistance.

I used the product once. When I came back to use
    Once silicone comes in contact with air, it immediately begins to cure and there is no way to stop this process. When not actively using the silicone, no matter how short the time, replace the cap.

Why would the sealant not dry or harden?
    Not hardening (not curing) is frequently due to aged product in which the chemical that makes the silicone harden is no longer active. Silicone generally should cure within 24 hours. If it has been over 24 hours, you should determine what the silicone "use before" date is. If the product was used prior to that date, contact the GE Answer Center, 1-866-ASK-GESA, with the following information found on the tube:

Stock Number, (the stock number is most easily found as the last 4 digits of the UPC. It is located on the cartridges at the very bottom line of text, to the right of the UPC.)
    Batch Code – ink jet printed on the bottom of the cartridge, or stamped into the top of the squeeze tube.
    Description of the type of silicone

What happens if the sealant freezes?
    Silicone II and Silicone I sealants can freeze. If product is frozen, simply thaw at room temperature and test before application. Product should skin over in 15 minutes. GE Siliconized Acrylic Latex Caulk cannot be frozen and should be stored at temperatures between 40°F and 100°F.

How do I remove silicone products?
    It is VERY difficult to remove silicone from a surface. However, if you must remove it, follow the suggestions below.
    To remove silicone sealant from surfaces, first remove as much as possible by cutting/peeling/scraping excess sealant from surface.

For ceramic tile, marble, Formica, fiberglass, etc., use 100% mineral spirits (turpentine) and a non-abrasive scouring pad. Test solvent on a hidden area of the surface to ensure that discoloration will not occur. If discoloration does occur, contact the manufacturer of the surface for further assistance.
    For glass surfaces, use a razor blade to remove as much as possible, then apply mineral spirits. Remove excess as much as possible, then apply mineral spirits. Remove excess with a towel or other suitable cleaning utensil that will not mar the surface (such as a non-abrasive pad).
    NOTE: For surfaces such as hard plastics or painted surfaces, including cars, use rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth. Do not use mineral spirits. Only use these solvents in a well-ventilated area and follow all safety precautions and instructions listed on the product label. Material Safety Data Sheets for GE Sealants & Adhesives products are available upon request. Similar information for solvents and other chemicals you choose to use with GE products should be obtained from your suppliers. When solvents are used, proper safety precautions must be observed. On Rough, Porous Surfaces>
    To remove sealant from a porous/rough surface, (concrete, brick, wallpaper) remove as much of the sealant as possible (same as smooth surface). If necessary, use a wire brush in conjunction with mineral spirits. NOTE: We do not recommend use of a wire brush to remove sealant from wood surfaces, as doing so could damage the wood. Also, mineral spirits should not be used if the wood has any type of finish on it. Test solvent on a hidden area before applying. Mineral spirits are flammable and should be used away from sparks, flames and other sources of ignition. Only use these solvents in a well-ventilated area and follow all safety precautions and instructions listed on the product label. Material Safety Data Sheets for GE Sealants & Adhesives products are available upon request. Similar information for solvents and other chemicals you choose to use with GE products should be obtained from your suppliers. When solvents are used, proper safety precautions must be observed. NOTE: There is nothing that will dissolve silicone. NOTE: If reapplying silicone to the area, remove the old sealant. Then clean the area with a disinfectant if mold or mildew is present, apply rubbing alcohol. Let the area dry before re-applying silicone.<> Do not use soap to clean surfaces to be sealed because silicone will not adhere to surfaces covered with any soap scum.

John, Since I had problems I have been running 3m marine grade silicones with no issues. If I am doing one of those its a real pain in the arse to come apart so it better be right the first time I use a Henkel product TS-108, I haven't found a distributor here in the states but I get it from a machine company with headquarters in Germany.
    They are good about getting for me. If you have a need and its has to be perfect e-mail me, I have a couple of tubes left I think.
    In a pinch though 3M has never let me down.

For Henkel adhesive products look to your Loctite distributor.
    "Anyone who says they like portaging is either a liar or crazy."
    - Bill Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    For Henkel adhesive products look to your Loctite distributor.
    Thanks, Kaman bearings I think, I have been lazy as I can still get it shipped to me.

Thanks to Chad's Hot VS Cold thread, I got to wondering if maybe Pamela Anderson got part of that batch on her last "job".....

Many thanks for the offer Mark, but, please, save the good stuff for the big stuff. (And so hard to come by, thanks again.)

I go with 3M for the critical/boat stuff too, but this was a "simple" bath tub seal and since I'd never had a problem with this before, didn't give it a second thought. The clean up is gonna be a hassle but... live and learn.

Vince, the batch number is 07C057, UPC 77072 05060, Silicon II with BioSeal, Almond color. Forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks to Chad's Hot VS Cold thread, I got to wondering if maybe Pamela Anderson got part of that batch on her last "job".....
    Pics? Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by John Teetsel View Post
    Many thanks for the offer Mark, but, please, save the good stuff for the big stuff. (And so hard to come by, thanks again.)

I go with 3M for the critical/boat stuff too, but this was a "simple" bath tub seal and since I'd never had a problem with this before, didn't give it a second thought. The clean up is gonna be a hassle but... live and learn.

Vince, the batch number is 07C057, UPC 77072 05060, Silicon II with BioSeal, Almond color. Forewarned is forearmed.

Pics? Maybe not.
    Sure there's a pic..... Nothin' you int seen before tho....

Here's your pick.

I prefer built for speed