Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the name of your boat, and why?

Default Re: What is the name of your boat, and why?

My 30 foot plastic sloop is named Bietzpadlin simply because her predesesor was a 15 foot grumman canoe.

I call the dory I designed the Ipswich Bay 18, because when I originally called it the IB 12 1/2 (LWL) people stepped back and said boy that looks a lot longer than 12 1/2 feet. Well I started calling it the IB 18, then I had an avid dory afficinado step back and say boy that looks a lot shorter than 18 ft. "What" I said... well the bottom plank length is traditionally how a dory was measured and yes the bottom was only 15' 9"
    Bill the owner named her "Peggy Bliss" (story to follow)
    http://dansdories.googlepages.com

My 1955 Paul Luke was renamed Phoenix from Blue Mist after being rebuilt due to a fire in the galley.

A couple of people have said that they haven't named their "small" craft.

That got me wondering: how small is "small"?; and are there any bigger boats/ships that are unnamed? Boats owned by entirely unsuperstitious/untraditional types, I'd imagine. Any examples you know of?

Tim

My first keel boat, a 24' McVay Bluenose Class boat, never had a name on it. I thought that "Much Ado About Nothing" would be appropriate, but there wasn't enough room on the transom.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

I tend to refer to smaller boats by type rather than name, as in the wherry or the gig. Production boats can of course use model names, like the Montauk or the Trophy. If confusion arises one can specify "our Montauk". I think I would be less likely to name a production or class boat even if it was sizable, although they need names for differentiation more than a unique boat does. But the unique boat has no other way of identifying itself.

I think anyone who has created or acquired an object of high emotional value like a boat is entitled to name it, if they feel it ought to be, even if it is a kevlar kayak. I just don't tend to myself.

One thing is certain, if a boat has a radio a name will be very useful.

Could not see the photo of your boat (froze partially loaded).
    Anyway if it has an outboard rudder that can have some effect on the name and how it looks on the stern of the boat.
    The name should be on the STERN of the boat. NOT ON THE SIDE.

It is bad luck to change the name of a boat, BUT you can rearrange the name to a new name.
    What you name the boat CAN have something to do with the demise of the boat.
    If you don't believe that i can show examples MANY examples. Do not know why.

Tamara seems ok to me and there was a reason. Boats are refered to in the feminine. Like..."She lies quietly all put away" etc.,.

What about ARAMAT ? means cove or bay in the Ilokano language of the Phillipines. There were 3 groups that were the first to come to north America.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 12-09-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

When my friend Jon and I bought Sjogin we were told the name meant wave or sea in Swedish. I later found out it's a loose anagram of the first owners name, Joe Shinn. So-gin; Jo-Shin. Close enough. Just remember the J is silent like the P in swimming.
    Hove to off Swan Point......

Russ, It looks like they named her Sjögin. Sounds like 'Sea-gin' to me!
    Ragnar B.

The name of my Common Sense Class Sloop is "Red Witch" which was the name of the clipper ship in Garland Roark's book, "The Wake of the Red Witch". John Wayne later made a movie of the same name. He claimed it was his favorite film.
    The name of my H28 Ketch is "Bright Star"; which is the original name of the boat when she was launched in 1960. When I bought the boat the name had been changed to "Jin Lung" (Lucky Dragon) because the owner owned a hotel in Hong Kong. We felt the original
    was a lot better, and more lucky. So we changed it back.
    Jay

The last boat, an Alberg 35 sloop was named "Magic" for her effect on the psyche.
    The pram, which was my daughter's first boat and is gray with a large shark mouth, is named "Nipper". When towing it in following seas, i has several 'double take' moments.

The next boat, a 28' go-fast trimaran which will launch in the spring, is not yet named. Candidates are:
    Magic
    Mary&Sam, for my parents
    Slithy Tove (from Jabberwocky)
    Bandersnatch (ditto)
    Damfino, for the Buster Keaton film

I started this boat for my first son. However he was born a bit early and the boat didn't get finished. Fast forward five years later another boy on the way. This time I made sure the boat was ready. Funny thing wasn't planned but both boys initials worked out to be the same, BST. So we ended up with BS, and BS Too. You might say our family is full of BS. BSToo too spent 10 months sleeping in it!

The other boats we have are:

Blue Canoe, Named so by BS1 who was 3 at the time, easy to see where he came up with the name

Orca: Orca came with the name and if I changed the name we'd need new sails:

We have four other boats, all of which still need names, more than likely BST and BSToo will have a hand in naming them. That's when and if dad gets them done
    DirtSailor

It isn't going to build itself so get busy!

Dutch fishermen mostly named their boats after their wives....."Vrouwe-(name here)" Vrouw meaning wife, or short form of Mrs. "Vrouwe" being an older spelling.

All the boats I've owned have been while married to my current wife and best friend. In fact, seconds after we got married we were off on our first boat, onto Lake Erie. So, there have been three "Lady Kay"'s. Unfortunately the kids are in the busy age bracket right now and sailing is getting the short end of the scheduling stick. So, Lady Kay (III) is for sale. There will be a (IV)....whether I build it or not.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. First it gives the test, then follows the lesson.

Lowell sailing dory-skiff, "Swan," because she is slow and pretty.

Outrigger sailing canoe "Victor T," after my father, since it is the first boat I made, and because my father was a Depression-era Italian "Huck Finn" on the shores of the Merrimack River, where he made boats out of shoe factory wood scraps he stole or salvaged. Also, he named his cabin cruiser "Tracy T" after my sister, so I continued the tradition.

Outrigger sailing canoe "Short Dragon," a private joke, because a historical Viking longship was named "Long Dragon," (my training is in medieval folklore). --Wade

"C cup" is the name I wanted to use...

My Melonseed is named "Non-Billable Time". I'm a lawyer (yeah, yeah....say what you will...). Anyway, young lawyers are always pushed to bill their time to clients. Time you don't bill is called "non-billable time". It represents the time you were "slacking".

A friend and I built the mold for a 13' Melonseed (ala Tom Hill's method) several years ago. The first hull off was to be his. Unfortunately he died after hull was completed, which became mine. I plan to call her "Ha'penny" after his wife Penny.

Earlier this year we bought an Ostkust sloop, which the previous owner hadn't put a name to after many years ownership. After a bit of repair and a lot of painting and varnishing this summer, I think she'll be in the water next spring. What do you think about 'Second Wind' or 'Cloud Nine'? My dad owned a Thames sailing barge after WWII, named Eureka; I was thinking about 'Eureka II'. The nameless Ostkust is stored away again for what looks like a long Ontario winter so I've got bags of time to ponder this while I pretend I'm watching TV. N

The name of my Welsford Houdini, if it is ever finished, will be the Mary T. after my mother. I have a wife and two daughters and could not come with any combination of their names I liked. My prior boat was a Hobie 18 which I owned with a partner. We named it the Hel-Kat after our wives, Helene and Kathy, respectively.
    Bill
    Welsford Houdini cat yawl Mary T

"Glimmer".

Why? Seems perfect.

Preston

C CUP...I love it! You should definitely go with it. Perfect for a sabot or dinghy.

My most current name is "WHAT THE HELL...I AM NOT EVAR GETTING OUT OF THE DAMN BOAT YARD AGAIN, SO WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES A NAME MAKE"

...but of course it doesn't fit on the transom...

...the same transom which is being agonisingly slowly rebuilt after oodles of rot were found. And now the meth-head sander/finisher has huge boils and a staph infection...and then there's the alcoholics who work for ten minutes, buy a pint of whiskey and then disappear for a day or two...and then there's the scalliwags, scurvy dogs and stoners...and they are the pick of the litter....need I continue!?

I am considering writing a novel about this bizarre little festering microcosm known as "The Boatyard". Maybe I'll recoup some of my sanity and money. Not likely, I know. Still, this gritty little world deserves a Hollywood film, or maybe Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs could come by.
    (Insert clever quote here)

"Sleeping Lady" because it came with that name, and it's her first, and I have a great deal of respect for its builder and first owner -- she's a Monroe Egret. But, if I were starting from scratch and naming an elegant boat, she would be "Delphine", which was also the name of the Dodge family's enormous motor yacht. Having said all that, my first boat -- an iceboat rebuilt by my dad and me when I was a lad -- was named "C-C-C-Courageous", the triple "C"s reflecting the icy weather we flew her in (think about it). That was a great name for an adolescent boy's winter racer.

I owned my first boat with my younger brother. it was 22'century and we named it "the other lady" because our girlfriends then (my wife now) would say every weekend "are you guys going out on that boat again" and we would reply that we are going out with the other lady. My second boat was a 27' eastern and it was named "the nutty irishman". Named after the coffee drinks that i like after dinner not named after me although some people might argue with that. Now I have 3 kids under the age of 5. I am building a 17' poulsbo boat cold molded and I keep telling my oldest daughter that she has to name it when I'm finshed. still waiting for a name.

Talking Re: What is the name of your boat, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
    My Melonseed is named "Non-Billable Time". I'm a lawyer (yeah, yeah....say what you will...). Anyway, young lawyers are always pushed to bill their time to clients. Time you don't bill is called "non-billable time". It represents the time you were "slacking".
    reminds me of a boat called "DIVORCE SETTLEMENT"
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Life Goal #9 - Several years ago, I made a list of things I wanted to do with my life, and build a wooden boat was one of them.

http://jimmyskiff.blogspot.com

My first woodenboat was a 14' daysailor. No name so I got to name her after my deceased Grandma whose house I was living in and restored the boat at. Mamie (Maim-ee). Loved that boat, Mamie taught me a lot.

The woodboat I have here in Mexico is named "el ultimo". Because she is the slowest sailboat in all our races and alwasy is last. In Spanish "el ultimo" means the last whatever, (brick, bag, nail, piece of cake). In Mexico City slang it also means "the coolest, or baddest of the bad".

Here the rule is that you need to paint your name on the bow on both sides, minimum 4" high letters and have a long registration number painted on both sides in 4" high contrasting numbers. Very ugly, so I have not done it. I just don't sail when the cops are on the lake.

My Quick and Easy 16 will be named Della, after my Mom's grandma. Because Della was always good to me and I believe this boat will be too.

I need help naming my Buccaneer 18. It is a very fast planing sloop, with a spinaker. I won't be last this year. I am not to versed with Pirate names so some suggestions would be nice. I am in a lake that Pirates used to enter to hide and get fresh water from, hence the big stone fort the spaniards built in the 1600's. Any names of Pirates that harassed the Spanish Main that come to mind? Other than Captain Morgan. I don't drink and I don't want to name my boat after some rum. I did have a favorite cat that was named after Sir Walter Raleigh. Was he a Pirate?
    Last edited by katiedobe; 12-31-2007 at 08:57 AM.
    Jimmy

SEA HARMONY was the last of four boats built for the Sufflings of Great Yarmouth, England, based on the last design of Albert Strange. The Suffling brothers had previously had smaller Harrison Butler boats which they cruised in company, but wanted a boat in which they could cruise together. Why they chose their boat names is not told, except, to me, by the names and the boats. The first (and the name on the design) is VENTURE (29' 4" x 6' 9" x 4' 4"), they were venturing into a new type of cruising and a new boat to a new design. VENTURE is small though certainly fine for two so the next year they had Ernest Woods build a larger version, CHARM (33' x 7' 7" x 5'), they were charmed by the design. Four years later, I presume families had expanded or something of the sort, they had Woods build CHARM II (40' x 9' 2" x 6'), they were still charmed. Twelve years after CHARM II, Woods, having moved from Cantley to Harding, in the Broads, built SEA HARMONY (33' x 7'8" x 5'3") back to the size of CHARM, being in perfect harmony with the sea. All these boats are still sailing, though CHARM II is in serious need of restoration. Check this out: http://www.albertstrange.org/?p=107

Wisconsin--Lake Michigan, where the water tastes funny

Ariel, a 1946 Hinckley Sou'wester, is named after Shakespear's sea sprite in The Tempest. In turn, the name derives from Ariel, a British tea clipper which in 1866 won the race under sail to market in London, beating four other tea clippers by slim margins. Ariel picked up her tow first, but Taiping, arriving just a few minutes later, had a faster towboat and docked first. In a show of sportsmanship seldon seen today, the Taiping shared the prize for first vessel in with Ariel. All in all, a nice pedigree for an old wooden boat.

Ta, sharing the prize with Taiping. Taiping a

My first boat was Sprite, a magic, playful, spirit.
    Next was Brothers, I have four.
    Next I changed from Morning Watch to Captain Tom, to remember a brother I lost.
    Current changed from Lodestar to Wandering Star, because I don't like the sound of "lode".

Royce's Sailing Illustrated mentions a boat the fellow actually named after his ex-wife. The Fat Bitch was a Tahiti ketch.

one of my boats has an interesting story and name.

My 16ft. rare factory bright finished 1946 Gar Wood 16 ft. (are the bright ones still technically an Ensign?) I bought in south Windsor, CT.
    THe boat came from Clinton, CT. My younger brother used to do remodeling painting and trim reproduction. he was working on the restoration and change to multiple artsy boutiques of a Colonial Tavern in Clinton. He swears they had a picture of my Garwood with it's custom made stainless steel cut water wings that sweep back to the waterline two feet on the wall when they started the job.

In the picture in the boat Arthur Miller was driving and Marilyn Monroe was with him. According to brother Kim anyway.

He did have a place in Clinton about that time. So.........

The boat is Named "NORMA JEAN".

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Administrator/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/GarWood%200708/IMG_1441.jpg[/IMG]Chase

First boat was a garage built (not by me) cutter. She was named Pinocchio by the guy that built her because she has a 6' bowsprit on a 30' length on deck. No way that name can be changed!

Current boat is a Block Island Cowhorn named Sans Souci, a name she has carried since her build in 1943. Wouldn't think of changing it. I believe the name means without a care in French. If not, I'm sure someone here will correct me.
    Last edited by nautiguy; 12-25-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: grammatical errors

My dory has been on sawhorses, in six different locations; shops, sheds, garages and backyards, for the few years that I have been rebuilding her part time, a dollar at a time. She has logged several hundred road miles on a variety of trailers and flat beds.

I dont dare add up all of the receipts for wood, 80 grit sandpaper, dust masks, gloves, ear plugs, monel nails, copper roves and rivets, glue, pine tar, sealer, solvents and stripper, 100 grit sandpaper, bronze screws and sheet goods, tool and drill bits and assorted related items, 150 grit sandpaper pintles and gudgeons, band aids and bacitracin,180 grit sandpaper, oarlocks, sockets and oars, leather and twine, copys of the original shop drawings from Mystic Seaport, 220 grit sandpaper, oils, red lead, paints, varnish, brushes, paper towels, 320 grit sandpaper, potato chips, pretzels and soda pops, various bits of small stuff and some lines, trailer parts, wiring etc... (did I mention the sandpaper?) So too I would not like to add up all of the hours of study, research, scouting of photos, scanning of internet forum topics etc, Nor would I wish to fully recall of the stupid, amateurish questions that I have asked a roster of the real shiprwrights around here to put up with. To their credit each of them has been generous with solid support and information, tool loans, advice, and all have been enduringly kind and forgiving.

Some friends no longer answer the phone when I call.

It had often occured to me throughout this process that she may never see a day on the water; That my sole occupation with this boat was simply academic; that it was just to have something to do with a classic small boat- something to "mess about in". I actually went so far as to enter this boat- as yet unfinished on each occasion- in three successive Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festivals; none of which she ever actually attended since she was still buried under a pile of shavings, dust, used sandpaper and empty coffee cups back in some shed or yard somewhere. In my well intended hubris I thought that entering the boat in the upcoming festivals would finally get me over the hump, and get the boat wet. We all know what the road to hell is paved with...

Though she is some thirty to fifty years old there is no evidence of her ever having had a name; no nameplate or whimsical little motif hand painted lovingly anywhere...nothing. An orphan of sorts. And her rear end had a serious twist in it. But just about everything is a little crooked in Port Townsend so she fits right in here.

Somewhere along the line; perhaps it was while I had the bottom and transom removed and was struggling to find and retain her original shape; or maybe when I was putting the new bottom and transom back in; or during installation of the new stem and knees; or it could have been while removing and replacing some nearly 1000 nails, screws and rivets; It could have been because I was listening to NPR on the radio most of the time, and the news of war; or maybe while I was scribe installing new oak frames, cleats and steam bent oak ribs; I know it was before I had put in the new risers and thwarts, sternsheets and rails; it could have been while I was repairing the many little plank splits and checks and mistakes I made along the way...

But at some point I decided that she should have a name. After all- by the time I get done- she will have been entirely rebuilt, with the only remaining original parts being her planks and internal stem. So I named her "Hope".

One of her jobs around here will be doing donated trips for a number of charities and causes that I support.

Hope- it's the one thing we can all use a little more of these days.
    Last edited by Bob Triggs; 12-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Laura Ellen
    That was the name of the boat when I bought it.
    The boat was called Glad Tidings when launched in 1937, then Henrietta.
    When I bought the boat I said I would either keep the name or revert back to the original name, I decided to keep the name as is.
    I was told the name was based on a previous owners wife's and daughter's name.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

I purchased a 36 ft taylor this fall. It was built in 1948, and excuse my bias, but is the prettiest boat every built. I have called it the laura anne after my late sister who was killed in a car wreck a year ago now. She was the eptiome of class and dignity, and never had a bad word for anyone. Her 11 year old son Dylan died in the same accident so it seems only fitting the boat should be named as it is.