Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the name of your boat, and why?

Default Re: What is the name of your boat, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    .... Seven letters in a name with doubles (p and a) is considered good luck.
    Thanks for the reminder as to why Bali Hai was chosen for my Gazelle.

Funny, Gazelle meets the rule as well.

My daughter's name is Valeria, but when she was first learning to talk it came out La La.

It was obviously the right name for the dory, every time I repaint the boat Valeria paints La La on the stern.

The sloop is named Green Dolphin, but I don't like the name. I have a preference for Royal Navy names as well. I have been looking at the names of Bomb Ketch's and Sloops lately:

Dauntless, Dragon, Nymphe, Buzzard, (some of these I don't like, but I am listing them because it boggles my imagination that there was once a warship named HMS Buzzard). Erebus, Flamer and Flirt all have an interesting ring to them, if your girl is pretty enough the last one might be good.

During WWII there was a class of Corvettes named for flowers, which produced newspaper articles with headlines like: "Buttercup and Petunia moved in for the kill." I am confident in my masculinity, but not confident enough to name my boat buttercup.

During WWI HMS Zulu hit a mine and lost her stern. At about the same time HMS Nubian ran aground and lost her bow. They put the two remaining half ships together, and to the everlasting credit of the naming committee called her HMS Zubian. If my boat were faster I might have used that, but she is not the type.

This link: http://www.pdavis.nl/MidVicShips.php?page=12 leads to a list from the mid-Victorian Royal Navy, they had a lot of ships, it is a very long list. Have fun browsing.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

I haven't picked a name yet for the Goat Island Skiff I'm building but I have my heart set on following her with a stretched version with some radical racing features along the lines of the Aussie's 18 foot racing skiffs.

If I ever get a round tuit and build her the name will be Eye-teen.

[QUOTE=Woodonwater;1707181]I have rebuilt most of the transom on my 37' Crocker ketch, TAMARA. As such, the name is sanded off. I have never really warmed to this name and I don't think it reflects the boat's 1930's heritage either. I don't know why she was named Tamara, but I am considering changing it.

Any ideas of a suitable name for her?

What is the ceremony/ritual I should use to rename her?

What is your boat's name and why is it named so?

Cheers,
    James

I had a crush on a Tamara, not too long ago...

But the new fishing boat shall be named "Tomorrow's Hangover"

Why? It's obvious, I'm working on Tomorrow's Hangover, today....

As for me... I haven't really gotten 'round to name any of my boats.. I just throw them in water, and enjoy day of fun.. But one of these days I'll build me a real catboat, it will have a name.. As for name I don't know yet... I am still debating
    save a nose, pick a banjo

My boat is named after my daugther Jasmine,
    J Dillon do you have more pictures of your lovely boat?
    Chris

My first boat was an alum boat named "the duck boat" since well, it was my duck hunting boat.

I then bought a larger one, one that dwarfed the first and my bro in law exclaimed, "What a BEAST"...so that one is the Beast.

Now, my current project is a 26' trailerable lobster boat that is already named Gabrelle......is it after my little girl that I lost....It is my families way of having her still present to us always. My whole family is helping in building this little girl...............

LakeErieSailor, my condolences...and I want to thank you and your family, but most of all your son for his sacrifice for our country, I and my family appreciate his decision to protect our country. God bless him and your family.

Eric

My boat's name is 'Driftwood', which is her original name from 1952. When I bought the boat, her then owner's had renamed her 'Chicken of the Sea', but I didn't think much of that so I gave her back her original name. Thankfully, another of her former owners still had Driftwood's original bronze transom letters lying around, which he kindly sent my way. I reinstalled them. Pretty cool.

Mine is "Oh Joy". That was her name when I got her and I thought it appropriate for those times when I find freshly peeled varnish or new rot so I left it.

Affectionately, "Moriarty"; my own evil nemesis in those 'moaning chair' moments during the build. If or when I get round to a dinghy to tow behind, said dinghy will of course be called "Holmes", hoping for dogged tenacity in the following.

First boat I built is called "Magdalene", for my Mother. Always looked after me, and I learned much from her that has proven valuable.

"During WWII there was a class of Corvettes named for flowers"
    During WW1 the RAN had an converted ex RN river paddle steamer from the China station named 'Geranium'. She did harbour duty mostly and some minesweeping. Dad was on her muster at 9 as Ship's boy 1st Class under old RN rules.

In reviewing this thread I noticed lake Erie sailor's reply and want to add my condolences as well. I'm sorry for your loss and think the name of your boat is a fine way to honor your son.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

My crabbing skiff is named BoB for Bucket of Blood to draw the connection between the vessel that carries me across the seas and my body as a vessel, a sailing-as-a-metaphor-for-life kinda thing.

CARINA

When I was 16 I saw "2001 a space odyssey". I absolutly loved this movie and still do, it was pure sci fi.
    Any way the shuttle in that movie was called Orion. So I decided my first boat would be named Orion. She was a "six hour" paddle boat.

So when we started building this boat some one suggested we also name her after a constelation, which we thought was a great idea. Well the only nice sounding constelation name we found was Carina, so we settled on that.

As it turned out my mother thought we named her after my deceased older sister Karin, so she's pleased.

I also work for Italians; and in italian Carina means "pretty little one" as in pretty little girl; the a at the end of Carina making the word gender feminine.

So all in all it's been a good name for her; I know Carina likes it.

My catboat is named Avocet, which was the name the prior owner/builder chose. I like it and enjoy having a cat named after a shore bird.

I changed the name of a schooner I owned when I took possession, thinking that the tradition of bad luck was just a superstition. I have never had as much trouble with a boat and changed the name back.

My Snipe is named Trilobite. It's an old wood boat racing with indifferent success against newer plastic ones. My previous Snipe was named Coelacanth, which was even better, since a coelacanth is a living fossil. Only nobody could pronounce it.

I named my boat "No Strings Attached" because it represents the relative simplicity and easy repairability of the Elver design. There are no boat loans or complicated engines or other hard to find parts to deal with - just a simple and pure fun sail around the lake.

My condolences to LakeErieSailor and Eric D.
    Will

Brigadoon same name as when we bought her. She has served us well sailing around and about 38,000 miles. Now another boat Catherine named after my first mate. The small boats Brigadink, Nelson, and Alice

My condolences to LakeErieSailor and Eric D. Name a boat is a fine way to honor them.
    Chris

I named my Penobscot 14 "Wee Lass" because it seemed to fit a small sailboat so well. Not very original, but I like it. I tell everyone that I named the boat after my wife, who has difficulty reaching the top shelf in the kitchen cabinet. That's my story. I'm sticking to it.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    I named my boat "No Strings Attached" because it represents the relative simplicity and easy repairability of the Elver design. There are no boat loans or complicated engines or other hard to find parts to deal with - just a simple and pure fun sail around the lake.

My condolences to LakeErieSailor and Eric D.
    I remembered reading about that on your site... Name fits great..

To all of you who wrote regarding my boat's name, and offered condolences, my thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewisboats View Post
    Here's a guy who named his "Think Pink"...I can't for the life of me figure out why

Steve,
    Does that have wheels on it?
    Kinda funky with pepto-bismol pink paint
    Scares all the fish away...

"Big Food" - because some things in life sap your soul, while other things feed it. My boat is big food.

Quote Originally Posted by boylesboats View Post
    Steve,
    Does that have wheels on it?
    Kinda funky with pepto-bismol pink paint
    Scares all the fish away...
    Na... kinda like chartreuse...the fish love it. I haven't seen it personally but I hope to next summer. Mine was red and white with a yellow smilie on the front.

Steve

"Tigger", named after the cat, who was in turn named after the character in "Winnie the Pooh".

My Friendship Sloop is named Amnesty. There's a group of Friendships with similar names like Amity, Integrity, Liberty, and a beautiful little Muscongus Bay Sloop named Charity. When I was building, I felt drawn to those names and the values they represent. I chose Amnesty based on my conviction that as a fallible human being, seemingly bound by our nature to disappoint, fail, and/or hurt our fellow travelers on the planet, the greatest gift we can give to others - or hope to receive from others - is forgiveness. I've always been struck by the common root of 'amnesty' and 'amnesia' - forgive and forget. Not always the easiest thing to do... My current hope is that she can live up to her name and forgive me for the decade-plus of almost criminal neglect I subjected her to during a period of time when I lost track, in lots of ways, of what's really important in life....

Other boats: a 10' Swampscott dory named 'Dorito' because it sounds like it must mean 'little dory'... plus I like the chips Painted the name in the product typeface on the transom and launched her by breaking a bag against her stem... well, actually, the damn bag wouldn't break and after reducing the contents to crumbs, had to resort to ripping the thing open and flinging the resulting Dorito-dust upon the waters. The sunfish and bluegills were pretty excited about that.... Recently-launched a Nutshell pram named 'Scrat' after the acorn-loving (nutshell, get it?) sabre-toothed squirrel (!) in the movie Ice Age, because I admire the little rodent's never-give-up, never-surrender, against-all-odds pursuit of the object of his desire. Plus he's funny-looking.... I identify...
    Last edited by FSS172; 12-08-2007 at 07:38 AM.

The stitch and glue kayak, the first boat I ever built, is Waegflota which is an old english word for boat meaning something like "wave floater." It did and does float which is exactly what I was hoping for as a first time builder.

The Penobscot 14 is Isentropic which means "constant entropy" and entropy is a measure of disorder. It is my little joke on boat maintenance -- if I name the boat "Isentropic" then surely I will never have to do any maintenance because it will take care of itself, right?

Dennis

My 13' 6" cat rigged sharpie is the Mary E. For 2 reasons. It's a workboat finished design that is about 100 years old. Such was the style in those days. Most importantly my wife is Mary E and while she doesn't enjoy boaty things she has tolerated my messing for the last 50 years.
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not end up there.-Yogi Berra

So sorry, Lake Erie Sailor.

Quote Originally Posted by FSS172 View Post
    ... names like Amity, Integrity, Liberty, and a beautiful little Muscongus Bay Sloop named Charity.
    If you can read it out you'd probably get a kick out of this sign from Peter Spectre's blog. http://compassrosereview.blogspot.co...s-of-note.html

I was one of the crew that built Charity. She was the first of several Muscongus Bay Sloops built by the Apprenticeshop. We launched her just in time for the FSS Races in '79 IIRC and had a blast in that year's regatta.

The handicapper gave us a ridiculously favorable handicap so we won two races outright and finished third in another. I've still got the Gould Prize, which was a small sea chest that year. It was loaded with some B&M Baked Beans and Brown Bread which was consumed shortly thereafter.

If Charity's still around and attending the Races I imagine the handicap is a more appropriate one now.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I was one of the crew that built Charity. She was the first of several Muscongus Bay Sloops built by the Apprenticeshop. We launched her just in time for the FSS Races in '79 IIRC and had a blast in that year's regatta.

If Charity's still around and attending the Races I imagine the handicap is a more appropriate one now.
    Well then we've probably met ! I was at the races that year and remember speaking briefly with a couple of Charity's people... I haven't seen her for years though my memory of her is still vivid... again, beautiful job and hats off to you. According to the Sloop Society registry she was built in '77, has been renamed Muscongus, and has a current homeport of Shelter Island NY.

My 26' Wharram cat came without a name. I wanted a name that paid homage to the polynesian roots of the design, and honored a state of well-being. I found a Tahitian word for peace: Vaea. And so it is!

~~~~~/)~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~√ √~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quite a number of years ago I had adopted the practice of taking a photo of boats/boat names that were not the "usual" type....some of those were a little red and white marconi rigged boat with gold letters outlined in black "Chicken Noodle Sloop", a yellow multihull named "Yellow Submarine" and another named Invocation to the great Bear". Jim Brown had these published in one of his Multihul books.....Mark Hassels tri was "talifeofaoe" which sorta translates to "Love" in Tahitian, a racing sloop in Annapolis was named Pywacket" after Kim Novaks cat in the 1959 (?) movie "Bell, Book and Candle"....The one I'm working on for #4 son is called Cheladra after the sea turtle/terrapin, another that I'm working on is called "Ribbitt"....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Quote Originally Posted by FSS172 View Post
    According to the Sloop Society registry she was built in '77, has been renamed Muscongus, and has a current homeport of Shelter Island NY.
    Yes, that's right about the date. It was thirty years ago this past summer then. Oof. Time flies.

Back to the boat names. My dad got an aluminum outboard boat back in the early sixties. My brother still has it, now down in the Turks and Caicos. It's shot through with poultice corrosion pinholes so they named it Blanche DuBois because it 'always depends on the kindness of strangers'.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 12-08-2007 at 03:46 PM.