Page 1 of 10 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the name of your boat, and why?

Default What is the name of your boat, and why?

I have rebuilt most of the transom on my 37' Crocker ketch, TAMARA. As such, the name is sanded off. I have never really warmed to this name and I don't think it reflects the boat's 1930's heritage either. I don't know why she was named Tamara, but I am considering changing it.

Any ideas of a suitable name for her?

What is the ceremony/ritual I should use to rename her?

What is your boat's name and why is it named so?

Cheers,
    James

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL153.../276887784.jpg
    (Insert clever quote here)

Default Re: What is the name of your boat, and why?

Felicite'
    Mothers name, means happiness, a good sychronicity eh?

"Shady Lady" Before my boat was named, one of the owners had an outline of a nude stiched on the spinnaker. The first time they flew it, they thought of the name Shady Lady.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI.
    Shady Lady photos
    http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...0Lady/?start=0

I've built or worked on several boats in the last 4 years. Some were donated to a youth rowing club, so we didn't name them. One was built with the help of a group of "at risk" youth. It was named - by unanimous consent - after the stalwart of the group, "Sianne". My son's Puddle Duck Racer is edging closer to completion. He named it "Shredder". Why? Because he's 14.

Our primary boat is a Goat Island Skiff. We named it "Sisu". Sisu is a Finnish word. It describes some traits that we hoped the boat would exhibit. Some would say it also describes the national character of Finland. It's almost untranslatable, but might include: determination; life-long strength of will; grit; stoicism; guts; spunk; perseverance; and just a soupcon of stubborn.

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance" -- Anthony J. D'Angelo

UNCAS' former tender is now named Phar Lap, for the racehorse from The Antipodes. She too is a swift steed, but winter-stored under a giant chestnut not unlike the original seventeen hand thoroughbred. Seven letters in a name with doubles (p and a) is considered good luck.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 12-05-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Laura Ellen

Names of a previous owners wife and daughter.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

My Chamberlain dory skiff is named "Lord Chamberlain" -- partially because boats with male names are quite authentic for pre-19th C craft, partially because of the Chamberlain bit, and partially 'cause I like it...

;0 )
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

My boat was named Grantala by a previous owner - after a steamship operated on the Australian coast between 1904 and 1914 by the Adelaide Steamship Company (a distant relative was later a director of the company). The Grantala, a coal fired steamer launched in 1904 was 363 feet long and 3655 tons.

She was requisitioned for war service and converted to Australia's first hospital ship at Garden Island in 1914. The sistership of Grantala was the Yongala that went missing up in Queensland waters in a cyclone and which has since been found and is one of our most famous wreck sites - and rated among the best in the world. Grantala survived both the cyclone that claimed Yongala and her 122 crew and passengers (they passed within several miles of each other) and the First World War. She was sold to British subsidiary of the the Compagnie General Transatlantique (CGT) purchased the Grantala and renamed her the Figuig. In 1920 she was transferred to the CGT and scrapped in 1934. I have an old photo of the original Grantala.

As for my Grantala, she was built in by the Holmes Bros to an American (AM Deering) design in 1938 as the Rubita then renamed Pollyanna in 1941 then taken over by the Navy - fitted with a machine gun and depth charges and renamed Halcyon in 1942, Kimra in 1945 and shortly after was taken back by her pre-war owner and named Pollyanna again, then was renamed Grantala in 1974. She's been too much of a tart to rename her again.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

My redbird will be called Eye Candy unless I can think of something better between now and the time she's finished.
    Why? Because that's what she'll be.
    My Catspaw...... don't know yet, possibly Rapture.
    Why? Because I have to let my wife name one of them or she'll never let me build more.
    My yacht will one day be called Quintessence.
    Why? Because she will be the quintessential yacht. (to me anyway)
    P.S. Don't even think of stealing my names

First boat was a 21 foot sanger drag hull with a 600hp ford engine, metalflake red, named "Mother's Worry" after some choice remarks by my mommy....
    Next boat was essentially unnamed until I travelld from Texas to Panama and back, mom got a look at it and declared it a calculated risk even to go aboard. The boat did look rather small from the top of the dock when the 27 foot sailboat was 10 feet down on the water.....so named it Neper (a series of calculations used in non english speaking countries)...
    A 49 foor Piver trimaran named ORCA because when I bought it as an unfinished boat it had no name or paint......by mixing all the available paint that I had it came out light blue......sold it quick
    My 31 foot Searunner Amihan (cool wind)
    The 44 foot Channel cutter was named Tana Mari (Apache for Lonely Wind)
    A CSY 44 I had in charter service was simply "Venture"
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Post Re: What is the name of your boat, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodonwater View Post
    What is the ceremony/ritual I should use to rename her?
    I have never named any of my boats or canoes because it didn't seem appropriate for a small craft. The following treatise on christening was presented tounge-in-cheek to the members of rec.boats.building by Marlon MacAllister (Merlin Aleister), a self described Majician and Foole. The Great Merlin may be reached by email at all@io.com. It was once part of the Tidbits section under http://www.wcha.org in the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association web site.

Christening Your Canoe

The Indian ritual has a good ring to it... and... I believe that you already know enough to devise a good ritual that has personal resonance. Presuming you are a "theist" of some type:
    Step 1. Select god/goddess
    ("god"/"God"/or "Godzilla" it's the same thing)

Since you are asking for a "'christ'-ening" you may be presuming that Christ is there. Unless the Haida Indians are Christian, they probably do not do a Christ-ening....

• Choice "A": "our" Christian Lord God Jahovah is a bit remote for this purpose...but, Jesus hung out with fisherman, and I'm sure he could have whipped out a solid populist boat blessing; Make up a "Cool Jesus" (rather than Church Jesus) prayer...
      "His" Jamaiican counterpart JAH could do it (Bob Marley, "Legends" playing in the background... maybe a live reggae band... "jerk" chicken, Red Stripe Beer.) You might look at some of the Holy Mother votive candles, Virgin de Cobre is the Patron Saint of Sailors...
    • Choice "B": Oxun (o-shoon') a righteous African-Carribean Goddess (sensual, erotic) of rivers, creeks, brooks, springs and lakes; I see... everybody wears white... a night time ritual... candles and melodious percussion music... check with your local Shaman for appropriate offerings. (Don't forget to begin and end with a prayer to Ellegba, the keeper of crossroads/waters to open a path and remove all obstacles...) Votive Candles, Candela de Oraciones, (available at grocery stores... Nino de Atoccha (Ellegba) or Los Sietes Potencias de Africanas
    • Choice "C": Indiginous deity, (ask your local shaman). Align with this God/dess's personal attributes appropriate to your task, appropriate offerings...
    Step 2: Invoke Deity(ies)

Respectfully ask the deity to bless your ritual, just talk to them... (agnostics can address the devine human archetype within all humanity or other suitable symbolic/imagistic/psychospeak) [Your vessel should be prepared for the ceremony! According to many cultures an eye, or eyes, have been painted on so that the boat may see (check out some Phoenician or Greek ships). This particular vessel will be the vehicle of your consciousness, so... how do you want to proceed in the spirit waterworld? You may want to use colored chalk to enscribe many "bon voyage"/mystic symbols... maybe one from each member of your family, or the primary users of the vessel.]
    Step 3: Invoke the elements/directions

As many as you want... fire, earth, air and water are traditional. Is your boat wood? Wood! You may want to annoint the boat with these elements... (watch that fire!) A salt water boat? Salt! Just sprinkle some around... Are you hoping to travel to a special place? Ask the winds of the appropriate direction to aid your venture... Burning Sage is always good for purification! Now...very slowly, as though you were taking a child for her first swim, ease your boat into the water, splash it gently all over, marvel at her initial awkwardness... hold a vision of life for your boat... maybe go for a ride!
    Step 4: Say Thank You

Thank the deity; Close the ceremony, start the party...

NOTE: Your friends (and you) will (probably) fall into three categories:
    1. "I'm into it"
    2. "Can't hurt, could help, show some respect"
    3. "Jokers".
    The first two types will be wonderful. The jokers can be disruptive to your "gestalt". You could just not invite them, but you would miss the jokes... so, if you can get the lead joker - you know the one - and give him space and time to ridicule, make jokes, namecall, etc., then you have all the bases covered (the Devine Fool will have his way, anyway). Basically, the more people participate, the higher the energy will be!
    This is the stuff that traditions are made of! Your children's children will remember!

Rita was named after my mother. She'd died about eight months before. We weren't keeping Migrator III which was the name the boat came with, nor going back to Marilyn III which curiously, is my wife's mother's name, but not the name my MIL goes by, as she dislikes it. My mother was loved by everyone who knew her so it was easy.
    Name the boat after somebody you like. A special person from your family, perhaps. How far wrong can you go? Pick one from the era. Rita, my Mom, grew up in the depression era. The name was era appropriate, it meant something to us, fits the boat and works on the radio. I'm happy we avoided a clever name for our more serious boat this time.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 12-08-2007 at 10:38 AM.

As far as I know, name changing in North America is considered bad luck - Whereas in Scotland, name changes where common and not regarded with any ill will.

What about her main beam though? No carving? You wouldn’t want her to end up Schizophrenic!

btw, Tamara means: "palm tree" in Hebrew. Tamar was the daughter-in-law of Judah in the Old Testament. Also in the Old Testament, this was the name of a daughter of David.

It was a popular name for children in the 1930's thus the vintage of your boat makes sense.

My Reuel Parker Maryland Crabbing Skiff is named "Allan's Wings", for my son, Lance Corporal Allan Klein, USMC, who was killed in a helicopter crash with 29 of his fellow Marines and a Navy Hospital Corpsman, on 26 January 2005.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I was just typing as LakeErieSailor posted. A great name and legacy...you must be very proud of your son.

Lady Cliff came with her name, and it suits her. I fell in with the bad-luck-to-change-the-name crowd. She was christened Pixie Kay (no thank you) was Lady Catherine for a while, then Lady Cliff. Only references I can find are a defunct girls' college across the Hudson from West Point, and an Australian race horse. Who knows?

Every boat name should have significance to the owner, it may be a combination of the names of members of the family or some other combination. Other names are of the whimsey of the owner. Such names as to the Greek and Roman Gods or the constellations are nice as well as are mythical names such as ,"The Witch of Newport" or the "Witch of Endor". The name of my own Common Sense Sloop, is "Red Witch": mainly because the wife of her former owner was a red head!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-04-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Amie is the feminine French for "Friend". Quite appropriate for a Friendship Sloop.

My wife calls her my girlfriend.

Harvey

Vanora.... which is gaelic for "White Wave" ...(the CC Cruiser) Her former name was "Vera B" last owners wife... The Atkin Dory Ketch... DOVE... which has always been her name..... the 1952 Peterborough runabout...RUBY... nickname of the original owner.
    Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

I'm Fred, the missus is Beth...

Fred's Beth, Beth's Fred... so our boat is...

Freth's Bed

the dinghy is named Breakfast.

the other dinghy (to and from our mooring) is named

a
    \/
    Lunch

Freth's Bed & Breakfast, with lunch
    Rebuilding a 1:1 scale model of a 43' Nova Scotia Schooner

'Wild' is a traditional boat name for me, 'Wild Water', 'Wild Cat' and now 'Wild Heidi' is my current racing dinghy. She is a beautiful old English bayboat. She has spent most of her time on the mountain lakes of SE Australia and as you know 'Heidi' was a mountain girl. So 'Wild Hiedi' really suits the boat.

The yacht I have a share in is called l'Attitude. Ron the Skipper who bought her was studying French at the time. He had a case of the hots for his French teacher and wanted a name that reminded him of her ... and the name really suits her, she's l'Attitude which works well. She is a Sonata 6.7, a racing trailer yacht. This month we are starting to refit her for offshore racing ... there will be no shortage of 'attitude wanting in the refit.

'Rag Dolly' is the Flying Fifteen that I crew and 'Hydrogem' is the Gem 550 that I also crew, with the same Skipper, Lee Nielson. 'Rag Dolly' is an excellent name for a rag boat.

'Blue and Me' ... is another Sonata that I sometimes race on. Her livery is blue and green and her kite is blue and green and her skipper is Allan Green ... she is well named.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 12-05-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Here's a guy who named his "Think Pink"...I can't for the life of me figure out why

Mine will be named "Keira" after my daughter.

The name is Tigerauge ( the ama I called Tigerzahn ) in engl. Tigers Eye and Tigers Tooth. Because the color o f the wood - like the mineral stone an the hull-shape of an eye...
    mutch fun!
    Last edited by Sancho; 12-05-2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: How I can get an smaller photo? to large

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    The name is Tigerauge ( the ama I called Tigerzahn ) in engl. Tigers Eye and Tigers Tooth. Because the color o f the wood - like the mineral stone an the hull-shape of an eye...
    mutch fun!
    Wow, love your tie-dyed sails, it matches some of my t-shirts..
    You could of named your vessel "Phycodelic Tigerauge"
    save a nose, pick a banjo

Ula

Ula is a Celtic girls name meaning "Jewel of the Sea", seemed perfect for my bottle green decked, white hulled Keyhaven Scow.

The name of the boat in my avatar is Ginny C. Nobody knows who Ginny C was, but the boat had that name from the '60s according to the documentation.

Our current skiff is Honu which is Hawaiian for 'turtle'. Of course being Hawaiian, that means a sea turtle, not a fresh water version.

Our next boat will be some form of my wifes, and two daughters middle names, which are Uilani, Hokulani, and Keaunani. All Hawaiian of course. I'm thinking along the lines of Lani-Nani, or something like that.

Or, on a completely separate vein, I like British Navy names which tend to be simple but powerful. You know, like Dreadnought.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

BETTY-B had her name for over 65 years. Then the guy before me briefly changed it to the stupidest, most insignificant name ever. Something I'm sure you could all go find out in seconds, but I'm never going to say again. I stenciled BETTY-B with spray paint the day I took the key and left the dock. On that first cruise, before the massive electrical problem, I pulled out all of the custom bronze and brass step plates with BETTY-B on them. Eight brass ones for inside on all the stairs. Four bronze ones outside. I dont know who BETTY-B was, but it wont be changing again.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Ula

Ula is a Celtic girls name meaning "Jewel of the Sea", seemed perfect for my bottle green decked, white hulled Keyhaven Scow.
    Yes indeed... That's why I named my little sweetie, ULA, too.

DAN

I am in the process of naming my Simmons Sea Skiff "FAIRY TALE", as building a wooden boat is something I've dreamed about for as long as I can remember.
    Granted she's a small boat to name but that graceful stern deserves adornment, and whenever I walk behind her she hints about it. Yeah, I talk to my boat.

Dan,

Great name for a water loving dog! We're about to get another dog (boring old yellow lab, again ) and I will try to impress ULA as a name upon my wife, as she's the one who has to live with her the most.

Might be worthy of a separate thread.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

When I got Granuaile she was named Neries - a misspelling of Neria, one of the Neriads who were daughters of Nerius, a Greek sea god. I renamed her after the great Irish woman, last independent king in Ireland. The dink was named Tibbots after her son who was born at sea in battle.

More peacefully, Marmalade is a catboat and the catboat folk like catty names. She was named with Orlando the Marmalade Cat in mind.

I'd seen an old old ad for her on the internet but knew she wasn't available. Sad, because we'd nicknamed my grandmother Marmalade after I heard my younger brother stumble over saying "Mother Soule." In my family we don't say "soool" as most would. Grandfather had such fun flying in WWI that he kept with what the French did to the name, "sou-lay". So there was Robin trying hard and getting as far as "mommy-lay." I'd just learned the story of the king who wanted butter, not marmalade, so . . .

Then I found a current ad for "Lady Bandit (ex Marmalade) . . . 'Twas meant to be.

From correspondence between "Wink" warner and Alfred B. Scofield archived at Mystic Seaport we know that "Tidbit" is the original name of our beloved catboat.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Fiddlers Green has carried her name since launch in 1960. I have the following verse from G.K. Chesterton engraved on a brass plate on a cabin beam:

"There are many wonderful things to be done,
    and many fine sights to be seen,
    before to paradise we come
    by way of Fiddlers Green."

Ernest Gann called it "the imagined Elysian Field of sailors and vagabond craftsmen - where credit is good ... where there's many a lass and many a glass ... and never a stormy sea."

Selkie

We came across the name reading a book with our kids.

From Wikipedia: "Selkies are able to transform to human form by shedding their seal skins and can revert to seal form by putting their selkie skin back on. Stories concerning selkies are generally romantic tragedies. Sometimes the human will not know that their lover is a selkie, and wakes to find them gone. Other times the human will hide the selkie's skin, thus preventing them from returning to seal form. A selkie can only make contact with one particular human for a short amount of time before they must return to the sea. They are not able to make contact with that human again for seven years, unless the human is to steal their selkie's skin and hide it or burn it."

I named her Carrianne, why ... because she is my first grandaughter.

JD
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Xena, warrior princess, because with her bird-wing mast, she is battling convention.

Last edited by kenjamin; 06-05-2011 at 10:37 AM.