Thread: Steve Bauer: Portland Pudgy hulls (seconds- for sale on ME Craigslist)

Default Steve Bauer: Portland Pudgy hulls (seconds- for sale on ME Craigslist)

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/466708049.html

Finish it out and you've got a versatile, safe, dinghy.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 11-03-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

Default Re: Steve Bauer: Portland Pudgy hulls (seconds- for sale on ME Craigslist)

Actually I've talked with Dave Hulbert about a 'seconds' Pudgy hull.
    I guess I just can't bear the thought of having a plastic dinghy. The current plan is for my daughter and I to build the larger Nutshell Pram this winter.

The Malolo crew was very impressed with the Pudgy they bought. They said it was much nicer and better designed than they had expected. A pleasant surprise. I wonder where they are right now. Last week they were in Rock Hall Md.

Steven

Default Re: Steve Bauer: Portland Pudgy hulls (seconds- for sale on ME Craigslist)

I admit that the Portland Pudgy is a pretty good dinghy. . . . .But fer goshsakes, it's a rotomolded plastic dinghy!

You should be posting this on the Rotomolded Plastic Boat Forum instead.

I've gotten great enjoyment out of building and using my various wooden prams and tenders over the years, and found them to be fantastic practise towards building bigger wooden boats. I couldn't possibly reccommend buying a plastic dinghy, especially such an expensive one, for anyone who wants to really learn about wooden boats. A Nutshell or an Eastport Pram kit will give you vastly better satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    I admit that the Portland Pudgy is a pretty good dinghy. . . . .But fer goshsakes, it's a rotomolded plastic dinghy!

You should be posting this on the Rotomolded Plastic Boat Forum instead.
    I did that and the fun guys over there said I should repost here "just to watch the elitists go postal". They're no dummies.

Thought Steve and his girls could make a bitchin' 'wood interior' and lapstrake 'look' on the hull with contact paper and rubber cement, but he's made other plans. Probably a good idea.

Maybe Joe will snap one of these up. Rumors circulate that he wants a hot tub to pull around behind Tidbit to attract more women.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." ~ Mark Twain

I'll concede that a Portland Pudgy is a very well thought out and safe lifeboat dinghy. However. . . .aesthetics?

My own current dinghy is a traditional lapstrake, copper-fastened, cedar planked, round-bottomed pram with steam-bent elm ribs and custom cast bronze hardware that I built all by myself so. . . . . . .neener! neener! neener! Some of us have something to be elitist about!

If you are satified with a plastic dinghy, then that's your own problem. But you'll just have to come to terms with the fact that no matter how functional, it will never be as pretty as a handmade wooden boat!

Question Re: Steve Bauer: Portland Pudgy hulls (seconds- for sale on ME Craigslist)

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Finish it out and you've got a versatile, safe, dinghy.
    I missed the part where I said it was aesthetically pleasing and wood. Hmmm.

But now we know we must all bow down before James McMullen, font of all wisdom and arbiter of other people's needs and tastes. How could I have been so stupid as to not recognize my problem and failure to come to terms about plastic not being as pretty as wood. Who would have thought!!
    I certainly am lucky to have been straightened out on that incredible gaffe.

(Moment of respectful and dutiful silence.)

IIRC, the post was directed to Steve Bauer, who I recalled was interested in the design for his already beautiful 1959 wood 24' sailboat. We were looking at the boat together at the Maine Boatbuilder's Show and he was disappointed with the cost of the finished boats.

Pity I was in a hurry and didn't PM him or look up his e-mail address. Live and learn.