Thread: Ray Green Sailboat

Default Ray Green Sailboat

Still looking for plans or pictures of this type of boat. I did get more info from the last owner before the boat was burn't. Here's a little about the parts that are left. He thinks the boat was about 10' long & 5 1/2' to 6' wide. The mast is 21', boom is 11', the dagger board is a 1/4" thick swing down. He still has the cotton sail. Would appreciate any info available. He also said that he thought it was fiberglass over a plywood hull.

Default Re: Ray Green Sailboat

As you probably know, Ray Greene was one of the very first people to use fiberglass to build boats. He lived in Toledo, Ohio which is the home of Owens Corning Glass (he probably worked there), the company that first made fiberglass reinforcements. IIRC, he built wood boats before FG was developed. His most famous designs were the 16' Rebel and the Nipper which was cat rigged and about 11'-12'. The Nipper may have also been built of wood, the Rebel was always glass. BTW, the Rebel was co-designed by Alvin Youngquist who also designed the Y-flyer.

Someone at the Rebel class association may be able to answer your question.
    http://www.rebelsailor.com/frame.htm

thats something i would like to see the pictures of too. i like to build models and that would be a fun scale model to build, so anyone with plans and measurements would be awesome

Cool Re: Ray Green Sailboat

Hi,
    I rebuild small sailboats and just acquired a Ray Greene "Slipper" sailboat. complete. If anyone needs pictures of rudder or any part of the boat let me know.
    More than glad to help.
    Doug

I grew up near by Ray Greene's boat works that were located in a couple of quonset hut type buildings by an overpass on Burne Rd. in Toledo, OH. You would always see boats, molds, and these long racks outside where they would be waiting to have work done to them....On the other side of the road was a bare hull for about a 36' cement sailboat that someone had started but never finished. I don't know when Ray closed the factory down, but his boats had a good reputation. All of the molds and things sat around for a long time after the place closed down.
    I don't know if he had worked for LOF or not, but their were several early pioneers of glass boat building in the Toledo area, probably because Toledo had a lot of glass companies that did automobile windshields for the big 3 just up the road in Detroit.
    Another company was Bock Boats (I think that's the spelling). My dad new the owner. Interesting designs, don't know if any of them lasted....Funny thing is my dad is a wooden boat guy through and through, he hated glass boats!
    Libbey Owens Ford (LOF) made several small plastic boats like the "catyak" in the 70's.

I learned to sail in a catyak. Horrid little things. Although we used to load em up with kids. Got one to pitchpole by moving forward with a buddy one of us on each side, that was a laugh.

catyaks were fun littld boats. I was the Maumee Bay winner in 74 - 75 and went on to race in the nationals that year....l
    ots of great memories!