Thread: FireFly batteries

Default FireFly batteries

anyone hear about these? They're going to be used in big trucks next year. Improved technology lead acids with long life and lighter weight.

Looks like a perfect marine battery.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...y-energy-.html

Default Re: FireFly batteries

OK, how many watt hours per pound? A conventional lead acid is about 15 to 20. This had better be more.

who knows, two to three times according to the people promoting the company. Somewhere close to NiMh but at less cost.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/firefly_energy.html

I have been following these but there is some concern they will not take the vibration a standard group 31 can take. The worst place for a group 31 is in transport refrigeration. They are directly over the rear axles without any shock protection.
    If they stand up there they will sell. For marine use they should be fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden View Post
    I have been following these but there is some concern they will not take the vibration a standard group 31 can take. The worst place for a group 31 is in transport refrigeration. They are directly over the rear axles without any shock protection.
    If they stand up there they will sell. For marine use they should be fine though.

concern by whom? Catepillar is behind their development intending truck use. Sure would be unfortunate if they couldn't handle vibration.

The do look promising. The comparisons, however, seem to be with flooded lead-acid. AGM lead-acid construction roughly doubles the cranking power and deep-cycle capabilities of flooded lead acid, so the improvement would be less when compared with AGM. Also- current AGM batteries are about twice the cost of flooded cells with equivalent capacity. A carbon-foam construction seems as if it would be much more.

I've been involved in batteries since I got out of college (1969) and seen the announcement of many "revolutionary" improvements in batteries. I have absolutely NO DATA on which to base my pessimism but I would look at these batteries for quite a while before I bought into the idea. Development of a light, economical, deep-discharge battery has been the holy grail of the lead acid battery industry for over 100 years. If you can get a good warrantee from a reliable supplier they certainly would be worth a trial.

/// Frank //

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    concern by whom? Catepillar is behind their development intending truck use. Sure would be unfortunate if they couldn't handle vibration.

I still get some mags from alternative energy sites and transport refrigeration . I remember reading that the early prototypes had some issues with it but I will be honest I haven't read anything since. I will try and find the article I am thinking of but so much crap pases through here I cannot be sure if I will find it. Took me a week to find a Rob White article and I knew what I was looking for.
    I am not knocking it as my next craft will have electric auxiliary and if these batteries are the cats ass I will be using them.

The AGM had problems with connections breaking early in their development and since got it sorted out so no worry.