Thread: Blue Goose in Oz

Default Blue Goose in Oz

The Blue Goose, a rather celebrated, if controversial 50' Fellows and Stewart, was recently given the treatment in Sydney. This link courtesy of PC Ford. I'm wondering what our mates down under may know about the operation on her. The first boat in the photo belowis our old 28 foot '57 Monk. The Goose is the dark hull, just visible as the second boat aft of our old boat.

http://www.slipstreamarine.com.au/bluegoose.html

The only picture I have of Blue Goose, taken about 15 years ago. She's the third back, dark hull.

Default Re: Blue Goose in Oz

Nice story. I haven't seen her - but I haven't been around the Harbour for a few years now. I'm up the river with Grantala rather than in the Harbour.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Lew,
    I haven't seen her around yet, but will make sure I find her.
    And why the "rather celebrated, ifcontroversial" description?

CM

Does anyone have any insight as to where the Blue Goose, Fellows and Stewart yacht may be hiding. I am trying to find the boat and her current owners

SL

I think I subsequently saw her at a Wooden Boat Festival at the National Maritime Museum. Posted a photo too... I will see if I can find it later on today.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Thank you ..I know she is out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I think I subsequently saw her at a Wooden Boat Festival at the National Maritime Museum. Posted a photo too... I will see if I can find it later on today.

I can't tell from Lew's photo whether I've got the right boat. Is it this one?

Or, among this lot from two years later?

Beyond those shots, I can't find any that scratch my memory. I recall Lew mentioning that there was a boat in one of those shows that had come back to Australia from his area.

This is the Goose. Be sure to avail yourself of fresh air after reading florid copy. Worked on her and crewed on a trip to the San Juans.
    http://www.aboat.com.au/listing/blue...timber-cruiser

Oh, I deny responsibility for all the Trumpian details: stainless cutwater, gold plated hardware, etc. Not my doing.
    Last edited by pcford; 08-02-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Im not certain, but is looks like her repainted white . The Blue Goose listed for sale in Australia is not the same boat. The Fellows and Stewart Blue Goose had the raked windshield, the AU boat does not. Here is a link to when she appeared on CYA: http://classicyacht.org/classicyacht...05695_n1_0.jpg

Or, among this lot from two years later?

Beyond those shots, I can't find any that scratch my memory. I recall Lew mentioning that there was a boat in one of those shows that had come back to Australia from his area.[/QUOTE]

This is the Sydney Blue Goose...accept no substitutes.

She had substantial replanking done in Seattle...she was refastened with stainless. On yearly haulout, the new planking was discovered to be very rotten. The reason given was that the replacement wood was "St. Helens wood." This was the down wood harvested after the St. Helens explosion. It was notorious for rot. Some say this is not correct...they say that the wood was from BC. The yard refused to put her back in water until plywood was tacked on. She then was in storage for some years at the yard that did the replanking while the lawyers did their job. During this time, you could just grab a piece of hull side and pull away a handful. Thereafter she went to Canada. Then she went to Australia. Somewhere along the line she had either fiberglass or a cold molded veneer applied to hull.

I have no idea of the current integrity of the hull. It may have been returned to sound condition.

She is a beautiful and fast boat.

Hello and thank you for your response. I noticed that she is for sale in Australia, but no mention of the bottom work. Too far away for me to rescue. I hate seeing these boats leave the Northwest. Today the showing in LaConner for Classic Yatchs only drew 8 examples. Hopefully the Victoria BC gathering will be better attended. The boat Lew posted is a great looking boat too.

[/QUOTE]

Looked at this boat a lot today. Sure looks like a Fellows and Stewart, but maybe not. Where is this fine looking classic?

Quote Originally Posted by retromotiveltd View Post
    Looked at this boat a lot today. Sure looks like a Fellows and Stewart, but maybe not. Where is this fine looking classic?

That's because it is a Fellows and Stewart. The brokerage link above may be able to help you locate it.