Thread: Removing a rust ring from butcher block.

Default Removing a rust ring from butcher block.

I made some pasta last night, I did not clean everything up and left a Le Creuset Pot lid on the butcher block kitchen counter. Le Creuset cookware is an enamel coated cast iron, but the lids have an exposed outer edge which is just exposed cast iron. The top left a ring of dark rust in the butcher block.

I have tried soap and water and a scotch-bright pad, some TSP and a scrub brush and it wont come out it's faded some but still very noticeable. Short of getting out the orbital sander does anyone have a helpful Heloise's hint for me ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Removing a rust ring from butcher block.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) View Post
    Short of getting out the orbital sander does anyone have a helpful Heloise's hint for me ?
    block plane
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Live with it. It's a gentle reminder to not leave iron pot lids on a wooden counter overnight. I have dozens (if not more) of those "character marks" on my countertops. Lets people know that you actually use your kitchen, unlike most anal retentive metrosexuals....
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

get some oxalic acid- use it then go back over with the tsp.

isnt tsp outlawed in new york state?

Joe, there is a liquid product made to remove rust from countertops. I have used it on the formica and teak in my boat and it works good to very good on old rust rings from spray cans. I cant remember whats in it or exactly what it is called other than rust remover. I got it in the paint dept. of Wal-Mart. Look around for such a cleaner/remover before sanding. Good Luck
    When things go wrong, will you be ready?

Photo's

Ahhh but nothing beats a small ROS

Much better

Yup i'm a bit of a neat nick sorry lefty
    Last edited by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ); 10-07-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Joslin View Post
    Joe, there is a liquid product made to remove rust from countertops. I have used it on the formica and teak in my boat and it works good to very good on old rust rings from spray cans. I cant remember whats in it or exactly what it is called other than rust remover. I got it in the paint dept. of Wal-Mart. Look around for such a cleaner/remover before sanding. Good Luck

He'll never find it, theres no way theres a MalWart in CSOH , and if he couldn't find Daly's Sea Fin two years ago when he had the name and internet links , finding a rust remover, will be a "task to great" for Joey. And like Lefty said , it , the rust ring, adds ambience to a yuppi kitchenette

Joe, West Marine has "Rust Stain Remover" in a plastic spray bottle, Model 126823 pg 377 of the 2006 catalog. Ckeck out some products like this.

Photo's

Ahhh but nothing beats a small ROS

Much better

Yup i'm a bit of a neat nick sorry lefty

You MTL iron your skivies as well

damm you guys are too fast for me.!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    You MTL iron your skivies as well
    Edited as soon as I posted LOL

I'm a single guy living alone who spends way too much time in his boxers

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    He'll never find it, theres no way theres a MalWart in CSOH , and if he couldn't find Daly's Sea Fin two years ago when he had the name and internet links , finding a rust remover, will be a "task to great" for Joey. And like Lefty said , it , the rust ring, adds ambience to a yuppi kitchenette
    We got Walmarts in the towns outside our little anti chain store hamlet.

Joe...go to grocery cleaning aid aisle, pick up either Zud or Barkeepers Friend and use it to make a wet paste to lay directly on the stain for a few minutes and then clean as normal...it'll get the rust stains off Tidbit too (if there are any)...and it's CHEAP!
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

There aint nothing random about that orbital sander Joe

Ya might want to remember that rust stains penetrate a long way...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Bleach removes the purple black iron stains from steel wool used on white oak, it should work on maple.

That is not butcher block. It is laminated maple. Butcher block shows end grain.

It's doesnt look like a cast lid either, but he solved the problem.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    It's doesnt look like a cast lid either, but he solved the problem.
    LE CREUSET ENAMELED CAST IRON COOKWARE

ABOUT LE CREUSET

All the Le Creuset cookware is made from enameled cast iron. Cast iron has been used for cooking utensils since the Middle Ages. The Le Creuset factory is at Fresnoy-Le-Grand in Northern France.

In 1925, the foundry began producing Cast Iron by hand-casting molten cast iron in sand molds-still the most delicate stage of the production process. Even today, after casting, each mold is destroyed and the cookware is polished and sanded by hand then scrutinized for imperfections. Once declared good for enameling, the items are sprayed with two separate coats of enamel and fired after each process at a temperature of 800C. The enamel then becomes extremely hard and durable, making it almost completely resistant to damage during normal use.

Since much of the finishing is done by hand, each Le Creuset Cast Iron cookware piece is completely unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    That is not butcher block. It is laminated maple. Butcher block shows end grain.
    I thought butcher block was more of a style than material . Thick laminated plank counter top.

I thought butcher block was more of a style than material . Thick laminated plank counter top.

He's just being snobish Joe...is plywood allowable for a wooden boat?

In the traditional lingo, butcher block was indeed end grain, and often quite thick. It made a great surface for heavy duty butchering of meat. The end grain is, of course, very rugged. More recently, the term has been expanded to apply to thick laminated wood counters, cutting boards, etc. You can blame this on slick marketing, but it is also worth noting that the results are really pretty practical for your average home kitchen. Realistically, very few of us are going to be doing enough heavy duty chopping to wear away at even side grain maple to any significant degree. It is in some ways ostentatious to feel we need a surface that would stand up to hours of chopping a day, when most of us chop for at most about 5 minutes a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hooke View Post
    In the traditional lingo, butcher block was indeed end grain, and often quite thick. It made a great surface for heavy duty butchering of meat. The end grain is, of course, very rugged. More recently, the term has been expanded to apply to thick laminated wood counters, cutting boards, etc. You can blame this on slick marketing, but it is also worth noting that the results are really pretty practical for your average home kitchen. Realistically, very few of us are going to be doing enough heavy duty chopping to wear away at even side grain maple to any significant degree. It is in some ways ostentatious to feel we need a surface that would stand up to hours of chopping a day, when most of us chop for at most about 5 minutes a day.
    Once again, the voice of REASON Bruce, your posts are a beauty, has anyone told you that lately?

PH

Thanks Phil!

I needed that after a day spent dealing with papers when I really wanted to be in my shop...

This thread (my suggestion would be oxalic acid crystals) caused me to Google Cold Spring on HUdson!

It seems that Joe and I live in somewhat similar communities.

Certainly the Woodbridge Kitchen Shop sells both Le Creuset cookware and maple butcher blocks...

Yes I own a Le Creuset skillet - bought for me by my sister when I went to university. But most of our fonte emaillee cookware is the slightly cheaper Chasseur brand!

I own a large Le Creuset omlette pan, which was a present from my mother - SWMBO was banned from using it following the incident with the tomato based sauce...

Beside the hob sits a thick sacrificial maple cutting board wearing the better part of thirty years worth of scars - in the early years I used to "spruce it up"..

Light burns etc - Card scraper.
    Heavy burn marks - Belt sander

Emergency concealment - turn it upside down.
    Last edited by P.I. Stazzer-Newt; 10-08-2007 at 05:56 AM.
    Complicated problems usually have simple solutions - which are almost always wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    SWMBO was banned from using it following the incident with the tomato based sauce...
    snap!

Joe is a real estste guy and probably selling places with first class kitchens. It'd be a good idea to get the counter top identity just right.
    If I went to look at a wooden boat, one of the first things I'd look for is the correct identity of the planking. Plywood siding should be considered different than teak planking.
    Sorry for the borishness.

remember that too much pasta will make you fat (er)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    Joe is a real estste guy and probably selling places with first class kitchens. It'd be a good idea to get the counter top identity just right.
    If I went to look at a wooden boat, one of the first things I'd look for is the correct identity of the planking. Plywood siding should be considered different than teak planking.
    Sorry for the borishness.
    I did not take your comment as borish. I just saw the potential for things to go downhill and tried to short-circuit the process. Your comment was in the end just a statement of fact as to the strict meaning of "butcher block."

Most high end kitchen countertops in the homes I sell are usually marble, granite or soap stone, occasionally even limestone but it has to be sealed because it absorbs water and oils and stains worse than my "laminated maple imitation butcher block look" apartment countertop.

I've even had one kitchen with a island made of 3" thick slab of teak, and I knew what it was before the home owner told me. But to be honest butcher block is way che 80's for most homes above the $500,000 mark and NEVER seen on anything over a million I could just see the wife of some banker going ewwwww what do they think I am a "Butcher" ? Neeeeeeeeext

I could just see the wife of some banker going ewwwww what do they think I am a "Butcher" ? Neeeeeeeeext
    That is classic Joe!

I don't know what it says about me that I think stone countertops in a kitchen are pretty but not very practical or pleasant to actually use. I still remember the first time I set a glass of water down on a stone countertop. Nothing got broken or spilled, but I learned you have to set stuff down more gently on a stone countertop if you do not want to be startled by how hard the counter feels. I think a nice wood surface for chopping vegetables and kneading bread would be just peachy.

Bruce I used to work at a fancy high end bar. It was the 80's and the bar was a beautiful dark granite. Someone forgot to tell the trendy architect that Granite countertops and paper thin wine & martini glasses don't mix. I spent about as much time cleaning exploading glassware as I did mixing drinks.

Give me a well worn beer and booze soaked wooden bar.

It is good that you can identify the various stone counter tops Joe. It would be a real plus if you walked into a place with an authentic butcher block top and you could tell the difference between it and formica simulation.
    See, I have both an authentic butcher block and a 3" thick laminated maple table. They've got a lot of knife marks and stains.
    I've got a little farm for sale in Bar Harbor BTW. Nice cape, fairly new pole framed barn, a greehouse business and it is just in the business zone.

Sorry Joe, the apparent stampings showing on the inside of the lid led me to believe that the lid wasnt cast iron. I didnt think cast iron would transfer the stampings through in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Sorry Joe, the apparent stampings showing on the inside of the lid led me to believe that the lid wasnt cast iron. I didnt think cast iron would transfer the stampings through in that way.
    Go pick one up - they're cast.
    http://www.lecreuset.co.uk
    Complicated problems usually have simple solutions - which are almost always wrong.

I never said it wasnt cast iron, just that it didnt look like it, besides, I've already apologised for impugning his lid. So there!

ooh ooh ooh I just gotta ask, after washing a couple of lecreuset items at the kitchen sink.......
    I'm guessing you bought these pieces since being out of the old marital status. There'd have been no way that stuff would have left the bride's kitchen.