Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CAP'N HANK
    • Feb 2018

Re: Taylors kerosene stove VS propane ?

Old question! I had a Taylor's two-burner stove with oven, as well as a Taylor's cabin heater when I lived aboard. Main problem was there was a definite technique to lighting them, and guests were not allowed to do so. The burners had to be preheated - when done properly, no soot and little odor, although good ventilation is essential. I used a good squirt of alcohol in the cup to preheat, or a wick mounted in a spring clip soaked in alcohol. I also used kerosene for lighting (Aladdin & Den Haan lamps). Simple, clean, cheap, available everywhere.

Comment

• johngsandusky
      • Dec 2003

Welcome aboard Hank.
      I'm very happy with the propane stove/oven on Wandering Star. If I were building her I would have tried to arrange a propane locker that fit a bbq tank, because they are easy to exchange.

Comment

• MN Dave
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Wow 15 years, 77 posts and not one lousy picture.
        http://www.blakes-lavac-taylors.co.uk/taylors_030.htm

Comment

• wizbang 13
          • Oct 2009

I’m not sure what a “Taylor’s” stove is . Is it a fancy box for Primus burners?
          I’ve run Primus on my boats for 40 years , both the “silent” and the older “Roarer” burners.
          About 35 years ago I switched to using paint thinner. Cleaner, easier to light, available everywhere.
          I hunt for old Primus/Optimus stoves. Got a dozen or so burners and a bucket of parts.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
            • Jun 2003

Fifteen years old this thread, cool.
            I had this Taylor stove for a while. Just for grins I googled it up and they still make it today and it looks the same. http://www.taylorsheatersandcookers.co.uk/cooking
            Cast Iron top, porcelain sides, with a real fiddle. (But; I have come to hate the smell of Kerosene)
            I'm betting mine was made in the 1930's!
            For preheating I used some magic alchohol in a toothpaste tube, like Sterno. The same for an Optimus.
            (Nice to see Meercat)

Comment

• wizbang 13
              • Oct 2009

Yes kerosene stinks up a boat, does not even matter if you burn it or not . I can tell instantly if a boat has a kerosene oil lamp even aboard as soon as I climb down the ladder.
              Paint thinner . If yer feeling flush....odorless paint thinner .
              Put some clean sand in the spirit cup to hold the alcohol from splashing out.

Comment

• Sabre
                • Dec 2017

Wow, great first post resurrecting an ancient thread!

I lived with the exact Taylor's stove that Dave pictured above...the one with the glass oven door...as well as a Taylor's bulkhead kerosene heater. Lived aboard for years with that setup, as well as several kero lamps. I will never, ever allow kerosene on any boat of mine ever again. That STINK!

The preheating, the stink of alcohol, the sputtering, the surging, the soot. Yuck.

I love my Dickinson diesel stove.
                --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Comment

• chollapete
                  • Nov 2018

Does the fact that alcohol burns without a visible flame bother anyone as unsafe? I've heard of horrific burns from alcohol fires.

Comment

• lupussonic
                    Massive member
                    • May 2012

I think the danger point with Origo type stoves is the filling when underway; a high chance of spilling. I have 3 Origos, a double and a single, both in my man cave next to my boat, cooked on for 2 years almost. If the alcohol storage on a boat is sorted out, and there is a strict procedure for filling (like put all other burners out before filling *religiously*, try to remember to fill the cartridges before setting off etc) they are good and safe. I have run them on meths, Kero and lamp oil. I like lamp oil the best. Meths smell is ghastly.

In the UK our maternal government in its wisdom thinks that if they allow the sale of DNA (de-natured alcohol) to the public, we will all pickle our brains drinking it. So they put a purple dye and wood naptha in it, which makes it highly unpleasant to drink, and poisonous. No such qualms in France, where 'alcol a brulee' is widely available.

Might get a still together until I depart these shores.

Maybe long after too.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                      • Jun 2003

Here in the US you can buy "Parrafin oil" which smells like candle wax burning. Much better, but expensive. About $50 cor 2-1/2 gallons.
                      Used in churches and restarants it burns very clean, hardly fouling wicks or chimneys.
                      I switched to that many years ago.

Comment

• Jay Greer
                        • Nov 2004

I was pleased to see this thread brought back as we are still stoveless on our H28 other than a portable propane camp stove that is a pain to use when under way. My wife hates the fumes caused by priming a kero stove with alcohol. The primer burns her eyes and I can't blame her for that. So, next time we are in BC, we plan to visit the Force 10 Stove Factory to investigate their Force 10 compact Euro Stove. We have been considering this stove for several years now but have not seen an example of this one face to face. Hence the idea of seeing it at the factory.
                        I have been told that it can be set up to operate on compressed natural gas and, this is what we plan to do as the supply tanks can be stored on the same side as is occupied by the stove. The two tanks will go in the starboard cockpit bench seat locker. By using CNG there is little chance of fire or explosion from a gas leak as CNG gas is lighter than air and wil not collect in low areas such as "Bright Star's" bilge.
                        Jay

force 10 address in BC
                        1515 Broadway Street Port Coquitlam, British Columbia Canada V3C 6M
                        Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-30-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• chollapete
                          • Nov 2018

Serious question: what about coal? Some Adkins drawings show a coal bin behind the galley stove. And, some Scottish bothy guides recommend carrying a sack of coal for cooking and heating. (A "bothy" is typically a restored cabin in open though usually private land, freely available as shelter during overnight hikes.)

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                            • Jun 2003

Clean coal?
                            (No such thing! Coal is a mess on a boat and it too has a distintive odor and really funky soot)

I used to fill a burlap sack with hardwood off cuts from the shop to fit the "Tiny Tot" for a weekend winter cruise and that may have been the best of all.

Comment

• Jay Greer
                              • Nov 2004

I use cut offs from compressed sawdust logs in our Tiny Tot. It burns well, povides good heat and little smoke or ash.
                              Jay

Comment

• MN Dave
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

This link has a long rundown on the pros and cons of the various stove fuels for use on boats.

Never having been in close quarters with an alcohol stove, this surprised me: "Some people say the sweet smell of burning alcohol makes them nauseous." Ventilation anyone?

Originally posted by wizbang 13
                                Yes kerosene stinks up a boat, does not even matter if you burn it or not . I can tell instantly if a boat has a kerosene oil lamp even aboard as soon as I climb down the ladder.
                                Paint thinner . If yer feeling flush....odorless paint thinner .
                                Put some clean sand in the spirit cup to hold the alcohol from splashing out.
                                All I can add to that (not to disparage the sand) is to suggest as an alternative a piece of ceramic fiber stove gasket, rock wool insulation or fiberglass cloth in place of the sand. Odorless paint thinner does cost twice as much as mineral spirits at a local big box.

I looked up the chemistry to get a handle on the difference between Kerosene, various grades of mineral spirits, paint thinner, naphtha, Diesel and odorless mineral spirits. Functionally, chemically it is a wash. Olfactorilly it can be huge.

Comment

Working...