Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Displacement Cruiser

Default Displacement Cruiser

Hey guys I have asked for advice on numerous designs since I have started here, but I am seeking some more advice...thanks in advance.

I am looking for extremley fuel effeceint designs of the displacement variety.....

I would like it to have an enclosed stand up head, good looks, and be in the 25-35 ft range using a diesel engine that should allow a 7-10 kt cruise speed, the rest is pretty much open to discussion because I am just gathering info and ideas at this point....thanks guys

Josh

Also I should add that this boats intention would be to cruise the great loop first and then jump to the bahamas for a few months at a time.

Basic hull speed formula is here:

http://powerboat.about.com/od/hulls/a/displacement.htm

For a 35' waterline length that means 7.9 knots.

My ketch is a displacement hull with a waterline length of about 28 feet. She'lll do 5.1 knots under power and consume amazingly little diesel, something like a liter per hour. If I try to run faster than that or have to punch through heavy waves then the fuel consumption goes up quite a bit.

If we have pictures of what you think you are looking for that would help. A search on Yachtworld. Also there are some recent threads here of Pt. Townsend wooden boat show that refer to a lot of pictures of boats.

Good luck.
    Will

Maybe something like this?

http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm

Puffin looks like a pretty neat little boat - not too big so she should be easy to maneuver and maintain.
    Will

I am also interested in the Mark V designs http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/index.html I know it has an outboard and wouldnt be able to go to the bahamas but it still is of interest......both the 28 and 38 foot versions

and everytime I consider what is important to me I always come back to Tom Lathrops Bluejacket Series..... http://bluejacketboats.com/

Glen-L Jolly Roger. 28 feet, 25 horsepower, 7.5 knots

WillMarsh's comments apply here. If you want 10 knots, a semi-displacement design would be much more suitable in the size range you are considering. A displacement hull, even at 35 feet, will become inefficient at 8 knots, and would require big horsepower to exceed that speed.

well as I said I am open to other design considerations, semi displacement designs are fine as long as they are fuel efficient....that is my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by SchoonerDreamin View Post
    well as I said I am open to other design considerations, semi displacement designs are fine as long as they are fuel efficient....that is my main concern.
    Depends on the design, of course. Semi displacement can be very efficient. Less wetted area as a rule. It's got as much to do with how fast you drive it. One thing's for sure, above hull speed a semi displacement hull will be very much more efficient.

Devlin has a full line of displacement and semi-displacement designs.

A stretched Tollman might do the job or even a BlueJacket might work for you.

Josh,
    Give this link a try and check out post number 27;
    http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulleti...in#post1432332

The Bolger CHAMPLAIN is a good sized cruiser with incredible milage from a 9.9 hp four stroke outboard and has a standup head. If she is a wee bit too small,Bolger also has a 31 foot version(WINDERMERE) very much along the same lines with full standing headroom throughout designed as an estuary cruiser(perfect for a great loop trip!) and also powered with a four stroke outboard. If I ever figure out how to post photos here, I would show you pictures of WINDERMERE as I am in the finally stages of building her. Or , you may wish to go to the Bolger Yahoo groups page(sign in) and check out the various files I have in the various Bolger groups(1 through 6) showing WINDERMERE under various stages of construction. All the little "discoveries"from the CHAMPLAIN have been corrected for with WINDERMERE via twin end-plated skegs,centerboard and fully developed fillet pieces around the box-keel.

Good luck!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Email me the pics or the link to where they are at and I'll post 'em
    numbaoneman@aol.com

How about one of these little NZ boats.
    http://www.loganboats.co.nz/

33 foot cruise at 8 knts. And a roller furling jib to reduce that fuel bill even further and to reduce rolling in a beam sea.

Cheer's
    Zane

Zane, that is a great boat.!!!

Philo Bolger also has a nice looking day cruiser called Topaz that I think would be a great conversion to a live-aboard cruiser:

http://www.journeyboats.com/
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/...opaz/index.htm

I think Topaz it a beautiful boat myself.
    Kenneth Grome
    Bagacay Boatworks
    www.bagacayboatworks.com

I've been impressed by the Topaz, too. But is this a boat to take out to the Bahamas? It's been done in less, but is it really intended for that duty?

I would not take Topaz offshore....and if you drop your speed requirements by 2 knots there's any number of designs and of material to choose from. Limit your requirements to 25 hp and work downward in size. Fuel for a 500 mile range would be desireable, and even for 1000-1400 miles as the fuel may be used for cooking and heating. Where will you winter the boat?....will it be a full time residence?.....In reality look at the displacement.....think 25-28 feet and 12000-13000 pounds displacement, maybe 12 foot beam......it will have some ballast, but you can control the draft to enable in hiding in shallow water (back Creeks) or near the beach in the islands.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I've been impressed by the Topaz, too. But is this a boat to take out to the Bahamas? It's been done in less, but is it really intended for that duty?
    As you say, it has been done in less and those boats certainly weren't "intended" for that type of crossing. Bolger did not design the TOPAZ for a Bahama crossing but, given what has crossed and continues to cross regularily, it can be done. A good forcast would be the criteria for a succesfull crossing. With the 4 stroke 50 hp called for by the designer, she would be economical at her displacement cruising speed(6 or 7 knots) but also able to get up and go,should things warrent. There is lots of space aboard for extra fuel tanks(used just for the crossing) which can later be stored up on the roof once empty.With her generous battery bank,thick bottom and light topside,she has a very good range of stability......providing the side windows remain closed :-)
    Faxing Bolger directly will produce a reasoned reply as to the do-ability of a crossing. As for just the great loop segment, TOPAZ would be a charm,especially with her shallow draft permitting one to sneak up thin waters for the night and getting well out of the way from commercial traffic.She is trailerable with a dual axel trailer,if that is worth knowing :-)

Peter
    J.Lennon

Just to muddy the waters a little and bring this back to the top I have researched and found several design I like a lot, they are all of different types but should all serve my purpose well, now I need some help narrowing them down.......in no specific order

Tom Lathrops Bluejacket series, I like the 27 for the ginormous cockpit but any of his boats are great.......
    http://bluejacketboats.com/index.htm

I like Mark Vans Mark V28
    http://markvdesigns.tripod.com/boatbuilding/id16.html

I am also a fan of two CMD designs the Puffin 28
    http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm?c...22476ed4055459

And CMD's Trailer Trawler 28
    http://www.cmdboats.com/trailertrawl...22476ed4055459

And finally I like Glen-L's small "trawler"The Nordcoaster 27
    https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=847

You certainly are all over the map. Twer it me I'd build the most seaworthy design. It would be a real shame to go to all the effort to build such a large and expensive craft only to limited in where you could take it.

Quote Originally Posted by capt jake View Post
    Devlin has a full line of displacement and semi-displacement designs.
    Probably not for offshore, but I've always loved Czarina. Two thirds of a gallon of diesel per hour at 7kts...

And, of course, you can always bump it to 35 feet, giving up some of that fuel efficiency. Ditto with 45 feet, but now you're really out there...
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - J.B Books

Not only is there a huge range of boats listed here, but a huge range of labor and expense to build them. The Mark V28, for example, is something a person might take on and get done in a reasonable amount of time and not break the bank. Mostly plywood with an outboard on the back. But the Trailer Trawler and Czarinna look to be, any estimates?, maybe twice the work and expense?

I agree that going with the more capable design is smart -- but that would be assuming the cost and labor are comparable.

Default Re: Displacement Cruiser

Before you spend money on plans or materials, spend a hundred bucks or so on lotsa cardboard sheets and tape. Go into a garage or other place and lay out the cabin sole plan full size, then mock up the bulkheads etc.....you will find that the craft with a lot of accommodations may be built for 4'3" midgets.......for instance ...note the CMD trailer trawler....to be trailerable it must be 8'4" or less...the interior room will be under 7 feet when finished...note the forward berth...it looks like a double, but you would have to be VERY good friends to sleep in that.....and I bet in the tropics not for long....also the enclosed head, etc....the boats have lots of amenities if you are a 100 pound weakling and are rather short.
    If you are going to do extensive cruising, a trailerable boat may not be the best, if you are going offshore a flat bottom light displacement boat can make it with an experienced skipper and luck....pay up your insurance and make me the beneficiary.....
    I have been aboard the 37 foot trawler version of the 28, I had a difficult time getting into the forward berth area while sitting at the dock, and there was no way to close the door to the head (I am 6'3" and 270 pounds) and I could not get through the scuttle to the engine.....in an emergency at sea it would be worse.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    Probably not for offshore, but I've always loved Czarina. Two thirds of a gallon of diesel per hour at 7kts...

And, of course, you can always bump it to 35 feet, giving up some of that fuel efficiency. Ditto with 45 feet, but now you're really out there...
    Who is the designer?
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Who is the designer?
    Donald, go here: http://www.devlinboat.com/

Peter...your pictures are ready to upload

Not only is there a huge range of boats listed here, but a huge range of labor and expense to build them. The Mark V28, for example, is something a person might take on and get done in a reasonable amount of time and not break the bank. Mostly plywood with an outboard on the back. But the Trailer Trawler and Czarinna look to be, any estimates?, maybe twice the work and expense?

I agree that going with the more capable design is smart -- but that would be assuming the cost and labor are comparable.
    Just as an FYI.... Czarinna is stitch & glue...
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - J.B Books

Just as an FYI.... Czarinna is stitch & glue...
    Hmmm. She's looking better by the minute.

The heights of High Wycombe, not too far from River Thames

Hmmm. She's looking better by the minute.
    Check the Woodenboat index... she was a cover girl a while back...
    - J.B Books

I am not sure the time frame on Czarinna, but the Sockeye 45 is between 12,000 and 14,000 man hours to completion.

Last edited by Lewisboats; 10-07-2007 at 03:15 AM.

Offshore? Think small windows, proven hull type and as big as you can afford.
    whatever rocks your boat

Hi everyone,

This thread is very interesting for having an idea on how fellow yachtsmen think about cruising.

Let me enter discussion on displacement cruising issue.

Some decades ago a copy of Juan Baader's book „Motor kreuzer und schnelle Sportboote“ fell into my hands and there I was attracted by a rather small cruising motorboat/motorsailer by the name of Raratonga. The idea is to have a small (30ft loa), full displacement (5,5 ts) low powered (10 hp) two berth cruiser for long, even transoceanic passages (up to 4000 miles).

Although I have tried to get in touch with mr Baader who passed away two decades ago, I found NO additional information on this boat.

If there is anyone who has more informations on this boat, please get in touch through my email.

Regards
    Ivan

J.Lennon

J.Lennon

Pardon my feeble attempts at posting after much effort on the part of Steve Lewis.....whom I owe a big thank you to!!!!!.....and probably more then one good cold Canadian beer !!!

The picture he posted earlier shows an earlier stage of build then the one I (miracle of miracles!) just posted, with my builders model and taken from within the cabin to give an idea of how roomy the boat is.
    This is a boat Bolger refers to as an esturary cruiser and one which would respond well to Joshs' first part of his wish list,ie; do the great loop. The boat is clearly NOT an offshore,deep sea, cross-oceans-anytime-anywhere type however, considering what has and does regularly cross over to the Bahamas, I fail to see why this one could not, just so long as the skipper has a good understanding of what is involved and an accurate forcaste.
    Regarding the window area, Bolger has argued that( I'm paraphrasing here),polycarbonates as thick as the hull are actually stronger then the hull and given solid enough frames should reasonably be expected to resists the impact of waves as much as the hull.
    As designed,she is self righting and if built as a 4 season live-a-board, with 2 inch foam insulation everywhere but the bottom, is unsinkable.
    I am not yet finished building her and as such can only hope she lives up to my expectations and the designers promises :-)

Oh,before I forget, the designer calls for a 4 stroke 50Hp with a big foot.Intended to operate in her lower rpm range for excellent fuel economy,long engine life.The extra Hp being used when bucking strong currents,winds or for a bit more speed...if in a rush:-)
    Happy shopping Josh!

Peter,eternally grateful for Steves' help!!!!
    J.Lennon

Wow. It does look big inside. Those square sections make it as much an efficiency apartment as a boat.
    As to seaworthiness, I wonder how fellow forumites would compare the 50-60 mile crossing to the Bahamas with running the length of Lake Erie or Lake Ontario, where there are good stretches without a lot of cover. If you're good for the Great Lakes, aren't you good for the Bahamas, too?

Default A new Gartside

This is a real beauty with some wonderful curves. She probably fits every need well, except ease of build. I've been on one of the original boats that Paul states he modeled his after. It was very sea-kindly in about five vertical feet of tidal rip and wind driven Cook Inlet waves. The boat was easily driven by a small Perkins.

http://www.gartsideboats.com/catpow.php#152

Wow. It does look big inside. Those square sections make it as much an efficiency apartment as a boat.
    As to seaworthiness, I wonder how fellow forumites would compare the 50-60 mile crossing to the Bahamas with running the length of Lake Erie or Lake Ontario, where there are good stretches without a lot of cover. If you're good for the Great Lakes, aren't you good for the Bahamas, too?
    She is indeed very roomy(due to the square sections you mention) and has full standing headroom everywhere,including the head and shower. I'm a little over 6 feet for scale in the pictures.The abundent fenestration makes for a less claustrophobic interior.

You do raise an interesting comparison regarding the Great Lakes.In bad weather,these inland seas are no place to be for small boats or even ships.Remember the details of the storm that took the Edmund Fitzgerald?

The prudent boater always checks the forcast,then double checks and keeps a sharp eye out while underway. I would imagine that should Josh ever build a boat and do the Great Loop, he will know well by the time he is in a postion to make a Bahama crossing the limit of both his own and his boats abilities along with whether it prudent to cross or not. Confidence in ones knowledge goes a long way toward helping achieve a goal.

Looking forward to seeing what Josh settles on.

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, I have been running a 25 foot semi-displacement cruiser for the past two seasons, essentially a much modified lobster boat hull with a custom top (the design began with the drawings of a Glen-L 22').

My main motor is a 50 h.p. Yamaha high thrust outboard, with an 8 h.p 2-stroke as a get-you-home machine. Based on experience I would recommend twin motors of equal power (say 30 h.p. each??), probably fixed and with rudder steering.

I have found that 400 pounds of internal ballast down low forward nicely offsets the weight of the outboards, and (combined with two large batteries) gives good stability.

I am getting a reliable 10 MPG (Canadian gallons - US ones are 20% smaller). For serious cruising, you need at least 30 gallons fuel, and much the same water. What with this , other stores and the ballast (so much seems "essential") the actual cruising weight is over 5000 pounds. That means that while economical displacement speed (6 knots) is achieved at some 1800 r.p.m using a 4-blade prop, the top speed is only 9 to 10 m.p.h., and the fuel economy is lost at that speed.

There is a real trade-off between speed and fuel economy, if a person wants serious comfort and reasonable range, I think. I agree with an earlier poster, go for a longer boat. Its hard to get what you want in a 25 footer.

Tony.

Tony,thanks for some real world experience with the 50Hp bigfoot 4-stroke outboard.Bolger calls for a 9.9 auxilliary as back up for the 50. There is no room(at least not at this stage of construction) to allow for a twin 30 installation,although your suggestion sounds very reasonable.
    Windermere,as designed, is intended for 200 gallons,in twin tanks, plus 12(twelve!) batteries for extended"off the marina grid" cruising.The batteries,at 1890lbs total, serve also as ballast and give her a ballast displacement ratio of over 60%.
    I totally agree that longer is better,as is narrower, for good fuel economy.Windermere comes in at 31'Loa X 8' X 12". Very much in the spirit of MarkVs' designs.
    After 30 odd years of sailing, this will be my first experience with a powerboat. I confess to being spoiled by tillers and outboard rudders for sure footed steering..........woulda liked to have one too on Windermere but that wasn't in the cards:-)

All the best!

Peter
    J.Lennon

Peter, I would recommend fewer batteries and a couple of solar panels if you really want lots of electric power. I have a panel of 86 watts nominal peak capacity, hooked to a large deep cycle battery. That's all we need for "house" purposes (LED lighting, cabin fans, radio, anchor light). The engine alternator charges a completely separate engine/starter battery, which also runs the instruments, navigation lights and communications radio (all of which are only needed when actually under way). The solar panel could easily keep a second battery charged, but I have not needed one so far.

Unless you are going to have an electric drive, why do you want so much battery capacity? Cloudy climate???

Tony.

PS. I see you are in Montreal. Drop in if you are ever in central N.B. If it's summer time, I would be glad to take you out for a trip, and you can steal any and all ideas. That's what I did.
    Last edited by Tonyr; 10-11-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: PS

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    Peter, I would recommend fewer batteries and a couple of solar panels if you really want lots of electric power.
    Unless you are going to have an electric drive, why do you want so much battery capacity? Cloudy climate???

Tony.

PS. I see you are in Montreal. Drop in if you are ever in central N.B. If it's summer time, I would be glad to take you out for a trip, and you can steal any and all ideas. That's what I did.
    Tony,
    The reasons for the big battery bank,according to Bolger are, 1) defacto ballast and 2)allows for serious comfortable live-a-board pleasures such as the occassional use of an expresso machine,micro-wave oven and girlfriends blowdrier via an onboard inverter.He also advocates the use of several solar panels up on the roof and even a wind turbine :-) The root behind it all is to effectively avoid marina$ for as long as possible while out cruising.
    The budget will not allow,for the time being,installing the whole shooting match right now however, so I will most likely do something along the lines you suggest(just two batteries) and use lead ingots in the meantime to make up for the lost ballast.
    My entire family hails from NB, nicely spread out from Edmunston,over to Bathust ,down through to Moncton and anchored in St.John. My summertime youth was spent visiting and vacationing in NB. The finest memories and the nicest folk you'd ever want to meet.....but I guess you already knew that last part :-)
    Thanks for the invite and, let it be known, you're very welcome to drop by for a ride too if you're ever through this way.

Peter
    J.Lennon

I haven't responded to this thread sooner because of computer problems. I see no reason why my Mark V 28 cannot be taken to the Bahamas. You may want a backup motor, however. I would try to find a way to have a dinghy that can handle a 9.9 fourstroke and rig a way to take theo motor off a transom bracket and put it on the dinghy without breaking you back.
    I don't see why you need so much battery power. I have been living on the hook for 6 years with only two 115 amp deep cycle and one starting batterie. I have two 50 watt solar panels. I don't have a refrigerator, however. If you built a good ice box refrigerator, you could probably get buy with another 100 watts of solar pannels. the outboard has an 18 amp alternator. You could also get a small honda generator for backup. I had one, and sold it, since I never used it.
    Don't Panic!

It's a foot short at 24', but check out Gartside's design# 143. We launched her last September and are very pleased with everything about her. Interior space is amazing as is her turn of speed (8kts @3100 rpm with a Yanmar 38 hp engine)and sea kindliness. I'd post pics but have never figured out how to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffle English View Post
    It's a foot short at 24', but check out Gartside's design# 143. We launched her last September and are very pleased with everything about her. Interior space is amazing as is her turn of speed (8kts @3100 rpm with a Yanmar 38 hp engine)and sea kindliness. I'd post pics but have never figured out how to do it!
    A lovely design. To post pics first upload them to an image hosting website (or your own or any website) and then copy and paste the pic. Its easy. Would really like to see some photos.

It is indeed a lovely cruiser, as are most of Paul Gartsides designs.I do however have one small bone to pick with the design; Gartside claims this is a good long range cruiser but darnit, I can't see any real practical storage space for things like cloths and food for two. Mind you, the images on his web page are a bit small, so perhaps I missed something :-)

Belated congrats on your launching! Did you build her too? Pictures of the build?

Peter
    J.Lennon