Thread: Reassure me she'll float again! See pics

Red face

This isn't supposed to happen. After all, I'm a woman. We not supposed to fall in love with BOATS! To late for that now. I was minding my own business one day when I came across her:

I had no idea who she was built by, how old she was or what I was getting myself into. After all, boats aren't (weren't ) my thing. All I knew is that this boat was beautiful and I had to save her from years of neglect. After a year of trying to buy her from the owner without success, he left town and abandoned her in the yard of the house he was renting. Another year later, after abandonment procedures, I got the legal title.
    I've since learned she is a 1930 31' Jonesporter, designed & built by Will Frost of Jonesport, Maine. And this is what she used to look like:

She's cedar planked on oak frames and in major need of a complete renovation. She's got a 292 Chevy 6cyl. in her, which has low time and surprisingly enough will be just fine. Planks, deck and combing are fine too (the deck & combing were new in '95). Pretty much everything else is being replaced. Not knowing where to begin, I handed her over to a capable individual and work has begun and I'm getting a crash course in wooden boat restoration. I plan to help as much as I can.

Upon walking into the workshop today and seeing this scary sight , I nearly hyperventilated:

I've never seen a boat with its' keel removed before. I'm posting this because I'm excited about this project and I know there's someone out there who can reassure me that this boat will float again. I keep telling myself old boats get new keels, stems, etc. all the time--It would just be nice to hear it from someone else.

More Pics of my 1930 31' Jonesporter

[ 03-29-2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Melissa Guinness ]
    Melissa

To view my 1930 Jonesporter
    Album, click this link:
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4291959797

Thumbs up

You go girl I know she's gonna float .

Originally posted by Melissa Guinness:
    After all, I'm a woman. We not supposed to fall in love with BOATS!
    Sometimes it just happens that way. Ain't love grand?

No doubt, she'll be wonderful! Keep us posted on progress.

And welcome to the forum! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wayne

Lo Melissa, Nice boat naw that normality in a boatshop planks, keels, lots of wood all over the place, you only worry when its been rebuilt and your left with a few bits but cannot find where they come from. What you using for the new keel oak or somthing else?
    Happiness is the last new frame in place, still struggling.

Shuggie.
    Happiness is a Trawler conversion in a warm part of the Globe!

Like most affairs of the heart, she will cause you no end of vexation, expense, worry, and self-doubt. Like most long-term relationships, there will be bumps in the road, some big and some small, but if you are sure she is the one and you make the effort to hang on over the bumps, she will become a trusted life-partner in whom you will find beauty, pride, and steadfastness. She has a superlative pedigree, do her up right and you will have a boat of rare grace & character.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

[img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks to all. The project can be a bit overwhelming at times & we're just getting started. It's nice to know I can come here for a little extra support when I need it.

DonnWest - Thanks for the offer, but no one's gettn' this one from me. I'm a girl obsessed.

Shuggie- We're planning on using oak for the keel -- same as we removed.

I'll add a link in a day or two where they'll be more photos for anyone who's interested.
    Melissa

Album, click this link:

Melissa;
    There is no doubt that boats are a sickness, and once you got, it's hard to rid your self of it. My advice, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and go for it.

Funny thing is once it is done you will really enjoy the boat but will kind of miss doing the work. You will start eying other neglected boats or new plans. The first boat just infects you it doesnt cure. Good luck, it will be beautiful boat.

Rick

She will float again, look at some of the basket cases I have played with at http://charliesboats.8m.com.

Charlie

[ 03-23-2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: CharlieSanti ]

Looks to me like she's being done right. There's no doubt that she'll float again...and in much better style than most of the boats she'll pass!

Great pedigree, great design. What color you gonna paint her? What kind of cabin/salon arrangement? We drool over the details, y'know.

Melissa,
    Have you by any chance run across Rumery's Boat Yard web site? I ran across it looking for some sailboat info, but they have some beautiful shots of a new interpretation of a Frost 38' Jonesporter with a torpedo stern that they built. Beautiful, and according to their claimed sea trials results, really hauls...32 knots w/ a load of passengers. A bit longer than yours, but here's what you could be looking forward to:
    http://www.rumerys.com/Seatrials.html

Thanks to all who have shown an interest! Here's a link were you can see more pictures. There are some pictures of her before she fell into the hands of a neglectful owner, some pictures of her in the backyard where I found her, and her early restoration in progress.

More pics of my 1930 31' Jonesporter

Ken, I'm not sure what color we're going to paint her. I've been told "there are only two colors to paint a wooden boat: white and black & only a damn fool would paint a wooden boat black". But she looks so great in black (see the one photo of her on my link)! She will be kept in Maine when she's finished and not left to the open elements much. So I'm leaning towards black at the moment, but I fear the retalliation. I guess I have time to decide. I'm still trying to come up with a suitable name too. Formerly, she was Lucia Cutts, a family name of the second owner and I'd like to rename her something more meaningful to me.

[ 03-29-2002, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Melissa Guinness ]
    Melissa

Album, click this link:

Whoooeeee! what a pretty boat.

I really like the black hull with bright deck and trim. I can see why you'd want to do that.

Are you going to keep her as an open boat with a canvas top?

I gotta tell you, I am fascinated with that general style of boat. I'm about halfway into talking myself into building John Gardner's 37' launch, which is a hard-chine version of your type of hull.

There's something about the "lobsterboat" hull that just says, "Serious boating going on here" to me.

Mellissa...I have a 26 foot sportfisher...lobster/novi type hull..kinda...and for years I painted her a dark blue..it was fine enough...but two years ago I went with "fire engine" red...and WOW...suddenly everyone in my boat club said it looks fantastic...endless compliments on the way red showed off her curves.
    SOOOO Think about it.

What a beautiful boat! You are already very proud of her, I can tell. Don't worry, she'll be a darling.
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

You know... That old chestnut of Herreshoff's about the two colors to paint a boat has been bandied about more than his supposed comment about frozen snot. Paint her whatever color damn well pleases you... It's YOUR boat! Plenty of workboats in northern waters are painted in dark colors, I guess they've been around long enough for their owners to "catch on" if it was such a bad idea. Plenty of dark hulled yachts, too. Isn't Lord Nelson's "Victory" painted black? And "Old Ironsides"? Pretty short lived vessels, those...

Yeah, it may be a bit harder to keep her looking her best with dark make-up, and she might get pretty warm if you take her to Carribean, but if you like the look, don't just make her "another" white boat in a sea of white boats just because it's supposed to to be somehow "incorrect" to do anything else!

(Gee, can you guess that I've painted my boat black? )

Now... as to re-naming her... Your on your own there! Bad, bad, "juju"! Your gonna need LOTS of booze, liberaly spread upon the waters and amounst your guests, and perhaps the blood of a virgin and various members of the clergy reciting secret incantations to do THAT safely!

BTW... Didn't we see a picture of this boat here before? A few months ago, maybe? I think maybe somebody else was thinking about "snapping her up". Sounds like she's found a good home at last.

[ 03-24-2002, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Art Read ]

Ive seen several color hulls around here. The royal blue is my favorite. Though Dark green with tan trim is a close second.

Rick

Smile

Mellissa;We chose to be different and painted our Sailboat Awl Grip green(sorry forget the name) with Cream topsides [img]tongue.gif[/img] and we both love it especially Birgit who swears our next one -stitch and glue Wharram Cat will be the same . Jim

Originally posted by Art Read:
    BTW... Didn't we see a picture of this boat here before? A few months ago, maybe? I think maybe somebody else was thinking about "snapping her up". Sounds like she's found a good home at last.
    --Can't be the same boat. I got legal title in November after pursuing her for 2 years. The first year trying to negotiate w/ the owner who wanted a ridiculous amount of $ for her --but then abandoned her a year later. It took several months from there to complete legal abandonment procedures and get the title. I did post a request regarding info. on her builder in designs/plans a few months ago, but no photo. Wonder who the "mystery boat" is.

I'm feeling better about painting her black now. Thanks for the support. As for the name, she's had 3 -- and the 1st two came from her 1st owner! Of course, I'll consider the above mentioned rituals just in case! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Melissa

Album, click this link:

Here's some reading reference for you, Melissa.

Maine Lobsterboats by Virginia Thorndike. WB bookstore under "design."

Talks a lot about the various builders and designs. Some very good pictures, some very good stories, but not a lot of meat about the structure or construction.

Wooden Boats to Build and Use by John Gardner. WB bookstore under "boatbuilding."

A VERY good book which includes many plans, tables of offsets and construction details. In the book there is specific discussion on the Jonesporter launch, with offsets for a 32'4" version.

Boatbuilding Down East by Royal Lowell. Subtitled How to Build a Wooden Boat Published by Simonton Cove Publishing Company, South Portland, Maine in 1994. Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 94-69866.

Originally published in 1977 by International Marine Publishing Company, Library of congress Catalog Card number 76-52309; International Standard Book Number (ISBN)0-87742-088-2.

If you get into Lobster Boat design and history, you will certainly run across the name of Will Frost of Beals Island and Jonesport. Royal Lowell is Will Frost's grandson, and learned his trade from his grandfather.

This book contains just about everything you need to build a lobster boat except plans with tables of offsets. There are a wealth of photos and drawings to illustrate the excellent and complete text.

Cool

Melissa,
    What boatyard is doing the work? "Lucia Cutts"... as in Cutts and Case, the boatyard in Oxford, MD? I oughta look at your sight before asking, but if it's the same Cutts family, maybe you shoulg give Ed Cutts a call down in Oxford. Super nice guy. Really knows his stuff. He's got a number of boats in his yard that are comparable to your Jonesporter, in style, form, etc...

Best of luck.
    Matt

Ps, where is Newcomb Maryland? - I've never heard of that before. It seems there's more and morewooden boat people in MD.

The last photo in the post that starts this thread is one amazing shot. Fine Art IMHO.
    Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Melissa,
    How about giving us a run down [no pun intended,hee,hee,hee] on what you had to do to get legal title????? It may help some of us {like me] who are looking at old boats all the time and wondering how to acquire them.
    Alan

Originally posted by Alan Worcester:
    Melissa,
    How about giving us a run down [no pun intended,hee,hee,hee] on what you had to do to get legal title????? It may help some of us {like me] who are looking at old boats all the time and wondering how to acquire them.
    Alan
    I don't know how much these requirements vary from state-to-state, but here's what it takes in Maryland. First, there is paperwork to fill out with DNR (they regulate the titles), it was required of me to run a 30 day ad in the newspaper of my intentions to have the boat declared abandoned, with a complete description of the boat and its' location -- then you wait to see if anyone claims it. I also had to send registered letters to the last known owner (who never titled the boat) and the last known titled owner. Then I had to wait for these to be returned. Be sure when you run the ad, you are VERY specific. When I ran the 1st ad, I didn't know who made the boat or even what year it was, but by the time I applied for the title, I had learned this info and put in my title application -- they made me start the whole process over again! (even though I had the last reg#, it's location, full description, etc) It's a lot of time, phone calls & paperwork, but well worth it. It can be done quicker, but it took me approx 6 months. It was my 1st time doing it, as well as my local DNRs 1st time too. Well worth the wait. Good Luck! Let us know if you find a treasure!
    Melissa

Album, click this link:

Wonderful boat Melissa. Best of luck in seeing her back on the water.
    Art: You are correct about seeing here before. I thought shee looked familiar also. She is listed on "My Wooden Boat".

Thumbs up

Way to go Melissa- It looks like an extensive project. But a project well worth it

I agree with wolfietuk- one of the big problems with working on boats is finishing. Get ready for other projects.

So did you move the boat from it's orginal location. How did that go?

[ 03-25-2002, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: TomFF ]

Art & Ned - I posted the picture on My Wooden Boat just days after getting clear title. I thought Art meant there was another listing of her on the discussion forum. Mystery solved.

Tom, Since the boat didn't have a trailer, I hired a local boat mover. We were lucky we only had to go about 10 minutes down the road--I don't think she would have survived much more. What was more interesting was getting her into the small workshop. My friend & boatbuiling guy, Oscar built a cradle & railway system for her, opened the doors to the shop, lined her up, attached a chain and pulled her through using a truck on the other side of the building. He had do cut a hole in the side of his workshop to pull the chain through! She just barely fit.
    Melissa

Album, click this link:

She's a beauty, Melissa.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants