Thread: Bull and Bear on Pleasant Bay

Default Bull and Bear on Pleasant Bay

I had the good fortune to be invited to sail on the sandbaggers Bull and Bear on Wednesday with some of my sailing school students. The day started with thick fog and thunderstorms and then small craft advisory and we had to cancel. Arey's Pond Boatyard http://www.areyspondboatyard.com/
    and Marine Restoration http://www.marinerestoration.com/
    hosted a gathering to benefit Friends of Pleasant Bay sailing programs
    http://fopb.org/. It was a beautiful evening to chat about boats and the perfect setting for these boats.

Bull and Bear are really spectacular in the flesh.

I'd seen them at The WoodenBoat show, but it's much more fun to see them in the water, fully rigged. Some of the details are beautiful. I really liked the lines of the boomkin.

Arey's Pond specializes in catboats and here arer a few that caught my eye.

Conjuror

Unknown builder/designer, but it caught my eye.

This Wianno is just about ready to go into the water.

Last but not least is this Arno Day skiff that Tony Davis built for his daughter. Note the ballast in the bow for balance.

I'll be sailing on Saturday in a Marshall 18, when Bull and Bear will be racing. With a little luck I'll get some action pictures. Update you then.

Adam
    Last edited by adampet; 08-09-2007 at 08:14 PM. Reason: whoops ..missed a pic

Adam,

Give my best to Henry Colie, the Sandbagger wrangler.

Russ
    Hove to off Swan Point......

Russ,
    Talked to him yesterday while I was opening oysters for the "meet and greet". Very nice gentleman. We talked about lots of things, boats, oysters, the Cape waters, having to spend the day in the launch instead of sailing. If I get the chance again I'll send your hellos.

Adam

Gretchen, #119 (1948) was restored by Karl Anderson who has a shop in Harwich afaik. Nice job by the look of it. I guess the rudder needed work. That class has bounced back nicely since the fire that burned so many.

Here's a write-up on the event. http://www.townonline.com/brewster/homepage/x2110141056

And some more photos from the CC Times.
    http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...=809001&Ref=PH
    "If a man speaks at sea where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?"

I love pic #7 in the CC Times link.

Very inspiring. Thanks.

Well it was a beautiful day on Pleasant Bay. The final tally is not in, but close to 90 cats and traditional boats gathered for the race. As promised, here are pictures of Bull and Bear under sail. Photo credit goes to Barry Donahue of the Cape Codder, who arranged my skippering gig, took pictures with his camera and with mine.

Bull, crewed by sailing school .

Conjuror, a Crosby Cat, returning home to Cape Cod after a few years"away" in Maine.

Close action after the start.

Your Captain in race concentration mode.

The race started in light northwesterlies, with a downwind start. We raced from Namequiot Pt, through the Narrows into Big Bay, around two marks and back through the Narrows, to finish at the Point. We got a good start and were in the front of the pack for a while, then almost everybody passed us. I've got to work on my downwind gaff technique! We had a good rounding of the first mark and gained back some places. It was a beat to the next mark and the wind was starting to fill in from the SE-S SW, still variable. We had watched the lead boats and picked a course close to the southern shore of the Bay. This was a plus, as it brought us to the second mark on starboard and moving well. We got back through the Narrows before the tide had fully changed and then drifted our way(downwind again) to the finish.We were (I think) 8th of 12 Marshalls, and 10th of 20 in our group.

Bull and Bear took the overall win (no surprise there), with a Baybird and a Dunbar Monomoy not far behind. Some of the smaller cats had to abadon the race, as the wind had dropped so much they couldn't make headway against the tide at the Narrows.

For Rbgarr; Here's the rudder back in place.

and Russ, Henry says Hi and had a few stories to tell. I'll leave it at that!

Adam

Default Marvelous.

Really makes me want to be there.

Mickey Lake

The picture of the start makes me long to be on Cape Cod again, especially in these warm August days. I'd forgotten what it's like when racing to watch the shadow of the hull on the sandy bottom to gauge when to tack.

Which boat were you sailing Adam?

Absolutly SICK with ENVY
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

boat is in Boston, I'm contracted out to Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Really makes me want to be there.

Mickey Lake
    Really makes me want to go home.

( currently landlocked )
    Brian T. Cunningham
    SWIFTWOOD - my schooner rigged trimaran sailing kayak
    http://members.aol.com/swiftwood/

rbgarr- it's a place where catboats really belong. The first leg was in about 4 feet of water, so the centerboards are up. Tacking in a narrow channel, you stay on one tack until the board starts to scrape.

John- A Marshall 18. It's glass, with aluminum spars. The equivilent boat is alongside in the "Close action" picture. The Marshalls have two portlights and the Arey's Pond 16's have one.

Put it on your calender for next year Joe. They've set the date for August 16th 2008. Start making plans.

Adam

thanks Adam, neat day eh

Wink

Adampet...

So you like my boomkins... never had a compliment on boomkins before. I don't get around to checking this site too often, just noticed your new sandbagger thread. We had alot of fun with those boats. We redesigned and built new...well about everything but the bare hulls themselves. I was fortunate enough to get the go ahead to do basically all the new design work, and a good bit of the spar and appendage building at Bill de Rouville's boat shop a number of years back. So far, no carnage to date, so they seem to be holding up. And they have yet to turn one of them over since the modifications(it was a regular occurance with the original rigs). They've been raced in a good number of regattas over the years since the new modifications(rigs, sails, centerboards, rudders, structural improvements) were made and I can say from first hand knowledge that they are not babied show queens by any means.

...I have a feeling that the best is yet to come for these boats.

George
    Last edited by George Schuld; 09-05-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling