Thread: Pickup bed loader

Default Pickup bed loader

I've seen a rig (home made wood) for launching and loading a small vessel from and into a pickup bed. Does anyone know where a drawing/photo exists?
    Thanks
    Simmons18

Default Help!

I'm fixin to start drawing and engineering and I don't want to re-invent the wheel.
    Thanks to anyone with an idea.
    Simmons18

They make them for lumber racks, so I'd start checking with those manufacturers or resellers.

How heavy is the boat, and how far does the apparatus have to extend down from the tailgate?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Don't know about the other states but in Texas, the limit lengthwise is 48" past a let-down tailgate and that's with or without a red flag attached to the item......per Texas Dept. of Public Safety, the red flag doesn't gain you anything legally
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation......Thoreau

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, I built one of these to load my 10' Acorn dinghy onto a rack mounted just above my pickup bed:

http://amateurboatbuilding.com/Proje...ght/Chap17.htm

It works okay, though I'm considering getting a small trailer instead. It would be much easier.

Ed

Thanks Ed
    That's the idea, but loaded from the rear of the truck bed and perhaps directly from the water.
    Simmons18

Quote Originally Posted by Simmons18 View Post
    I've seen a rig (home made wood) for launching and loading a small vessel from and into a pickup bed. Does anyone know where a drawing/photo exists?
    Thanks
    Simmons18
    I did a search on Google Images, and did not find anything that fit the description as a home-made wood unit, but it did provide some ideas. For a flat-bottom boat, I was thinking of a combination of the type of bed platform on rails that slides out like a big drawer, with one of the extension units that fits into a hitch receiver. If the 'drawer' part could tilt after being extended, then this could be brought down close to the water. Haul the boat onto the drawer, and then lift and slide it in. If the hull overhangs the truck bed, slide the extension unit into the hitch receiver, and secure the sliding part and the boat hull.

I already had a 5x8 utility trailer when I finished building my Jimmy Skiff in July, so I bolted a boat trailer bunk roller onto the end of the trailer 'tail-gate'. This allows me to easily roll the boat in and out of the trailer. With this tail gate roller only a couple of inches off the water, it works great.

Last edited by Ron Paro; 08-09-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Well, we still have practically no information here.

Size and weight of boat? Height difference between truck bed and water? Strength and Medical coverage of loader?

;0 )

You'll rapidly reach a point where a trailer is cheaper, faster and safer than loading/unloading a heavy and/or delicate boat from a truck.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

You are going to miss the trailer once you realize that you have to unload it unless it is a dedicated boat truck only. Just the hardware alone will soon near the expense of a used trailer. Also,when you want to shuffle the boat around without the truck being involved is another consideration. I don't see this as feasible with a pickup truck and a 17ft boat.If you think about it,you will be building essentially a flat bed truck of sorts with the rear wheels in the wrong place. When you go around corners and tight spaces,you could eventually and inadvertently wipe out something with the rear of your boat.
    Last edited by pipefitter; 08-09-2007 at 11:32 PM.

All,
    Thanks for all the mental energies expended. As for details, the boat is 12', ply, John, sized to fit a small bed PU. In NC it is expensive to keep a trailer on the road "legally" as well as the regular hassels of boat trailer life. You all are correct that the "rig" would be a hassel itself. Simmons18

We used to carry a heavier than normal 12' jon in a pickup quite often. We just had to take the outboard motor off and store it in the boat.Nothing but a piece of carpet to protect the truck and the boat. I thought you were talking about the Simmons.

Two 2x4's -- you decide the length. Metal hooks/fittings on the tailgate end to hook onto the tailgate when down. Drill through and join the 2x4's with sections of EMT pipe (you decide how many) the width of the boat's bottom. Slip sections of PVC pipe over the EMT before gluing the ends into the 2x4's to make rollers.

Voila! One truck-bed roller-bar boat-loading system.
    Last edited by Thorne; 08-10-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Sounds like it might just work Thorne. With a similar contraption that would be used as a ramp to get the vessel up into the bed, then slide under the bed rails.
    Thanks
    Simmons18
    By the way, I sold my Simmons last summer, but I do love those boats. Have plans for the 22.

Simmons18:
    You sold a Simmons? I'm assuming it was the 18 footer? Did you build the thing? (Just curious) I'm a big fan of the Simmons myself, and one day have the daft ambitions to attempt to build one; I just gotta get through with my R.B. Parker boat first... Got any pics?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose..."
    -Jim Elliot

I built one for my melonseed. It worked quite well and drove well as long as I had good, even tire pressures. The drawback was having to load and unload the boat from my garage into the bed, I still have it but bought a trailer for it last year. I could launch easily, to retrieve it has a small hand 7 or 8:1 pulley in the front end of the bed to retrieve but took a little more than moderate effort to single hand retrieve. I would lift the bow eyebolt onto the rubber roller, then pull on the pulley rope while keeping it straight. My melonseed is heavy, apx 240#, with a lighter boat it would be much easier, of course an electric winch would help. Thats a Ranger with the optional heavy duty rear suspension, the weight was no problem at all, the balance point is actually over the tailgate, it does have to be well secured. The rack in the photo I had built earlier to carry another boat and is not part of the cradle.

Last edited by Philip Maynard; 08-10-2007 at 04:15 PM.

If you can turn over the boat and build an over the cab rack for the truck that has rollers on the rear crosspiece (and also on the front as an option), you only have to lift half of the boat at any one time, as the ground or roller supports the other half. A boat length limit is less of a problem also. This is not as convenient as a trailer, but it does have some advantages.