Thread: What Knot to Use

Default What Knot to Use

I just purchased some new running line for my jib sheets. I typically have used a bowline to attach the sheet to the clew of the jib. With this new braided line, it seems to be quite stiff and the bowline doesn't really chinch down tight and tends to untie. While the jib was flapping the sheets actually came totally untied...not a good situation.

I was wondering what you use as far as knots to attach you sheets to the jib clews? Also, any thoughts on softening the new lines so they take a bowline better?

Thanks....Mark

I replaced mine this spring -- it had been a pair of bowlilnes which tended to hang up on the winches on the mast, etc.

So I replaced it with a single line long enough for both sheets. I looped it through the jib clew with a cowhitch and then put a round seizing on the paired line tight up against the grommet. No problems after a few hundred miles and it can be removed, if need be, without taking apart the siezing, simply by working the sheet back out through the eye created by the seizing.

Sort of like this:

And this with No. 9 seine twine:

I've heard that it helps to trail the new lines out behind the boat for a while, but if you are not up for that try the washing machine. I just washed some stiff old jib sheets and they came out nice and soft.

Brion Toss recommends taking the end of the bowline and tucking it thru the bight that binds before drawing it up when using modern line.
    ~~~~~/)~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~√ √~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use the same knot as Wox, without the seizing and it works fine.

I'm no expert (although I play one on TV) but my current boat also has an un-siezed cow hitch which works fine. On my previous boat I used an alpine butterfly in the middled line for the sheets and a strop with an eye in one end and a large stopper on the opposite. It went together much like buttoning a shirt and although it could be removed with one hand, it wouldn't come undone if the sail were left to flog.

The fact that you're trying bowlines leads me to think you've got to separate pieces of line for the sheets. As has been said, washing the lines will soften them up. If you need the security you could also sieze the end to the loop part after tying the bowline.

Tie one left handed and the other right so they won't foul on the shrouds.

Default Two sheets

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions. I like the simplicity of a single line, but unfortunately I already committed to two individual sheets. Need to find a good solution for that configuration.

Default Two sheets

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions. I like the simplicity of a single line, but unfortunately I already committed to two individual sheets. Need to find a good solution for that configuration.

The buntline hitch is as secure as you can get. Quite small and not easy to untie after it is drawn up tight and used for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ssor View Post
    The buntline hitch is as secure as you can get. Quite small and not easy to untie after it is drawn up tight and used for a while.
    The buntline is one of the best, and easy to tie. It's true that you need a spike to pick it apart once its been in place for a while, but that is one of its virtues: security.

Here's one about ready to be drawn up:

~~~~~/)~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~√ √~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is really just a clove hitch around the standing part with the tail next to the the clew.

It's true that you need a spike to pick it apart once its been in place for a while
    If it's been tied to the clew of a jib of any size, a knife might work better...

Default Excellent choice

Now, that's the ticket! Thanks for the great pic of how its tied. Will give it a try on tomorrows sail. Thanks again for all the suggestions...ain't this forum fantastic!!!

I've always used the Buntline hitch for many applications on Sea Smoke, I appreciate that another name for it is the Rod Stephens knot.
    O
    --------(\ ----------
    ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Who is Rod Stephens? The buntline hitch came from the square rigger days.

Olin Stephens had a brother named Rod, any connection?

Tom G. (Seaweed)

Default Re: What Knot to Use

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Galyen View Post
    Olin Stephens had a brother named Rod, any connection?

Tom G. (Seaweed)
    Yes Rod Stephes was the primary rigging designer at S&S. From my understanding he was a big promoter of the Bunt Line Hitch. Particularly for halyards. I have always heard it called a Rod Knot. My surprise when I saw a picture of A buntline hitch after tying Rod knots for 50 years...

You might just try seizing the bight in the eye of the jib. If loads aren't too huge that works well and minimizes the mass at the clew.

An eye splice works

You get increased performance from a jib in light airs if you don't weigh the clew down with heavy thick lines. The sail takes a better flatter shape and not too curled along the foot/ weighted leach and flicks through tacks faster.

You run a light thin spliced dyneema section back fom the clew for a couple of feet, then your heavier thicker but easier to handle 'jib sheets' attach to that. If you use a bowline, you have the option of a 'left handed' or 'right handed' bowline that put the knot/ loose end on one side or the other. You arrange it so that the smooth side will contact any shrouds and pass easier, they won't catch that way.

If you're using dyneema core jib sheets then you can strip the sheeth off to reduce weight as far back as the bit that's handled or passiing around winches. Off the shelf tapered sheets are available for dinghies but for big boats you need to do that yourself.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-13-2022 at 03:46 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

if ya doan know a knot, tie alot

Quote Originally Posted by Flcapt View Post
    Yes Rod Stephes was the primary rigging designer at S&S. From my understanding he was a big promoter of the Bunt Line Hitch. Particularly for halyards. I have always heard it called a Rod Knot. My surprise when I saw a picture of A buntline hitch after tying Rod knots for 50 years...
    Thread bump of the week? 15 years!

How about an eye splice on your jib sheets then a soft shackle to the jib clew? I find this secure, yet easy to free when needed.

Why not just a couple of half hitches? Easy to tie, secure, and easy to spill... ??

Quote Originally Posted by marsbar View Post
    I just purchased some new running line for my jib sheets. I typically have used a bowline to attach the sheet to the clew of the jib. With this new braided line, it seems to be quite stiff and the bowline doesn't really chinch down tight and tends to untie. While the jib was flapping the sheets actually came totally untied...not a good situation.

I was wondering what you use as far as knots to attach you sheets to the jib clews? Also, any thoughts on softening the new lines so they take a bowline better?

Thanks....Mark
    Quite a bump, it also appears marsbar hasn't posted since 2008, I wonder how things worked out for them?

Stepping onto my "Olde Curmudgeon Soapboxe": The bowline is generally a fairly secure knot, these apparently shook out while the jib was "flapping". (Flapping? I'll set that one aside and assume they meant "luffing"). First off, were the knots in question properly tied and dressed? Second, just how long was that poor jib allowed to "flap" in such a manner as to untie the bowline?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Ya know, I often take a tuck or add a seizing to a bowline if it is critical.
    They can worry loose