Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Reach designs!

Default Small Reach designs!

Hi all,
    So the Small Reach Regatta boat list has been posted. A really interesting group of small craft.
    No formal raceing is scheduled but any one have any thoughts on what boats will be the first to the lunch spot? how about the boats that will get their crew out and back again regardless of the weather!
    I hope to attend with the "Peggy Bliss" crew, should be a fun weekend.
    Dan

A final fleet list follows, with boat, type, skipper, and hometown:

1 COQUINA, 16'8" Herreshoff cat-ketch, Maynard Bray, Brooklin, ME
    2 FAR & AWAY, 18’ Nomans Land boat, Tom Jackson, Brooklin, ME
    3 FRISKY LADY, 15'6" gaff sloop, Mike Duncan, Annandale, VA
    4 RUFF (or Pagan), 18’ Oslojollen (19’ Oselver faering), Bruce Elfstrom, East Haddam, CT
    5 ISLAND LADY, 20’ canoe yawl, David Wyman, Castine, ME
    6 Swampscot dory, 20’, Allen Head, Concord, NH
    7 SARA, 19’2” Oughtred Ness yawl, Jay Eberly, Round Hill, VA
    8 Oughtred Caledonia yawl, Geoff Kerr, Westford, VT
    9 HOPEFUL OUTLOOK, 19’7” Banks dory, Sam Manning, Camden, ME
    10 RAN TAN, 17’6” Harrier, Clinton Chase, Cushing, ME
    11 LITEN KULING, 19’6” Afjords faering, skipper TBA (via Ben Fuller, Cushing, ME)
    12 PUCK, 19’6” lapstrake pulling boat, Bob Yorke, Scituate, MA
    13 OCARINA, 18’ Shearwater, John Silverio, Lincolnville, ME
    14 Swampscot Dory, 17’, Willits Ansel, Georgetown, ME
    15 CLC Skerry, 15’, Bill Corbett, Castine, ME
    16 EMERSON ALBURY, 16’6” Bahama dinghy, Wade Smith, North Franklin, CT
    17 MY FAER LADY, 15’ Oughtred faering, Steven Bauer, Portland, ME
    18 SCOUT, 21’ Sea Pearl (Herreshoff Carpenter), Philip Bacon, Hamden, CT
    19 DELIGHT, 19’6” Oughtred Caledonia yawl, John Shinaberger, Bradford, PA
    20 SALLY LEE, 15’ CLC Skerry, Christopher Drouin, Auburn, NH
    21 HERON, 19’6” Oughtred Caledonia yawl, Bill Boyd, Topsham, ME
    22 Kingston lobsterboat, 18’6”, David McCulloch, Old Lyme, CT
    23 Swampscot Dory, 16’, David Porter, Brooklin, ME
    24 JOSEF W., 15’ Delaware ducker, Ben Fuller, Cushing, ME
    25 ROSIE B, Penobscot 17, 17’ lug ketch, David Gilroy, East Granby, CT
    26 WBRF, 18’6” Dixie Belle (Culler), Michael Spencer, info to follow
    27 SELKIE, 19’6” Caledonia yawl, Joel Page, Jeffersonville, VT
    28 PEGGY BLISS, Sailing dory, William Richards, Georgetown, MA
    29 BLUE MIST, 15’10” Wayfarer dinghy, Richard Harrington, Euclid, OH
    30 Atlantic 17 pulling boat, Steve Woll, Pembroke, MA
    31 Skerriskiff 17 (Oughtred), Bob Wolfertz, Rosemont, NJ
    32 Moosabec Reach Boat, 14’3”, Rick Hayden, Rockport, ME
    33 WIZARD, Herreshoff Coquina, Vagn Worm, Brooklin, ME
    34 DORIAN GRAY, 16' Hammond Dory, Eric Slosser, Needham, MA
    35 Penobscot 17, Tom Williamson, VT, info to follow
    36 Kingston Lobster boat, John & Cathrine Princell, Brooklin, ME
    37 South Jersey Beach skiff, 15’8”, Steve Dwyer, Merrimac, MA
    38 Wayfarer dinghy, Tom Erickson, Gardner, MA
    39 Drascome Scaffie, 15’, Thomas Hepp, Liberty, ME
    40 SEA BISCUIT, 18’ Swampscot Dory, Jay Irwin, Baltimore, MD

Well I know we aren't 'racing' but the direct competition for Gavin and me in his Oughtred Elf are Chris's and Bill's Skerrys.

Steven

Now that is one regatta I'd really like to attend. MUCH jealousy Steven!

Steven
    what to your mind makes your elf comparable to a skerry? size, speed, handeling?
    also lines drawings or photos of the boats being discussed would be great! and lets try to refer to boats by number as listed as well as make and model, may make it easier to find boat on the list.

I am very excited to see #6, 20' Swampscott, this type often suffers from being built quite short and I look forward to seeing how a historicaly "standard size" Swampscott will perform in company with some of the big lapped-ply yawls.

From what I hear, one of the best things about the inaugural Small Reach event was the lack of focus on competition. People enjoyed exploring the wonderful sailing waters, the islands, the little coves, etc. rather than having to deal with people strutting around at the landing places asking when they got in, what course they sailed, etc.

Daniel, the CLC Skerry and Iain Oughtred's Elf are the same LOA, 15' similar beam, 4'6" Skerry, 4'5" Elf. Similar rig and weight. Their construction is very similar, I think the Skerry has a flat bottom and the Elf a slight V

Skerry:

Elf:

I'm not really thinking of racing, I'm more thinking of who we're going be near throughtout the day. Those of us in the smaller boats might be getting back to shore a little later than the big boys.

Steven

I am looking forward to sailing with a skerry that has the designed rig.
    mine has a 68 sq' Balanced Lug, I believe the skerry was designed to carry a sprit sail about 10' less or so. I may be takeing my new Caledonia Yawl, if I get it finished I would like to have my wife and child come but the skerry is too small for the three of us under sail. I also suspect that the Caledonias will be quite a bit faster I sailed with Geoff Kerr last summer, I could not keep up.
    Chris
    Last edited by hikingchrs; 05-30-2007 at 08:22 PM.

I suspect that you will have several groups: modern ( glue fastened) larger (17 foot plus wants two people rowing) and smaller ( modern single handers ... less happy with two) There would be hard core traditional group, mechanically fastened, again in a larger and smaller group.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Hi all
    Steven beautifull color planking on the elf! the skerry looks a like a shortened gunning dory, in the photo the foot of her sail seems incredibly high on the mast. Just looking at the two boats it looks like the elf is quite slim at the waterline where the skerry has a chubbier working boat look. Is the elf tender under sail?
    It would seem that the skerry could stand up to that extra 10 ft. in your lug sail Chris, and will probably be a little faster than the smaller sprit rig, how is the skerry hull related to a dory?
    I was noticing how Ben grouped the boats by size, and build. It should be interesting to see how the traditional plank built boats compare in performance with the slightly lighter ply craft...Im not sure weight will be a big factor unless we end up with real light wind and a lot of rowing!
    Another division may be oar oriented vs. sail oriented especially when it comes to double enders and transom hulls. #29 and #38 are both wayfarer dinghys, boats heavily favored when it comes to sailing. with their wide transoms the Wayfarers have the power to keep their feet under much more canvas than a double ender, but may be quite slow when it comes to rowing a long distance. #28 Peggy Bliss also has a rather wide transom and is not very fast under oars.
    Daniel
    [img][/img]

"It would seem that the skerry could stand up to that extra 10 ft. in your lug sail Chris, and will probably be a little faster than the smaller sprit rig"
    My boat sails nicely, here is a thread about the sail modifications.
    http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulleti...674#post666674

Sea Pearl wins race at florida small craft event.
    a heavily reefed Sea Pearl took top honors at the Gulf coatst TSCA sailing races beating several larger traditional skiffs and sloops. #18 Scout should be a real fast boat and a very functional one as well. the pearls seem to be great camp/ cruisers but with their long waterline and low rig they can really get up and go when lightly loaded. I dont' know if Scout is wood as most pearls seem to be glass, anyone know? mabey strip planking?
    Dan

Sea Pearls are glass but are based on a design by LFH I think its the Carpenter. Despite the material it would have been nice to see one in the small reach. A very capable boat.

In the process of adapting my ducker racing rig of over 100 feet to the faering so that it has a fore and aft sail that is as big as the square and a low milage Nat Wilson cotton sail at that. Should be helpful.
    Last edited by Ben Fuller; 06-27-2007 at 06:00 AM. Reason: additional information
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Vernon Langille, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity and a quiver of unamed 'yaks.

Hi all
    Peter, I look forward to seeing you and the Moosabec Reach (#32) out on the water this August.
    looks like the Moosabec is the shortest craft at 14'3 and the Hereshoff carpenter/seapearl (#18) is the longest boat at 21'
    any ideas what the biggest boat is (displacement) , probably not the pearl.
    mabey the canoe yawl (#5)? at 20' it could be a short ship.
    Dan

How is the fareing/ducker colaboration coming along Ben? is this a effort to make the Fareing quicker for participation in the regatta or just simpler to sail?
    Dan

Faering is a little hard to sail as a single hander with the square sail. It has to come up and down a lot when ever the tacks needs switching. It also requires a bit of training. The fore and aft rig is obviously easier to sail, a little more close winded but less friendly down wind. I had been setting a ducker sail that was converted from a sprit of about 75 feet as a lug ( bang some grommets into the head.) The larger sail creates more horsepower. But the best way to windward is two strong rowers.
    Ben Fuller

If memory serves you may be loaning out the Liten kuling during the regatta, so ease of handeling may be important, I would imagine not many of us are familiar with square sails, especially on small craft. Should be real fast off the wind. Are there are any european fareings sailed with fore and aft rigs?
    Dan

Faerings traditionally also carried low spritsails with jibs. The Norwegians have taken the oselver style and put modern dinghy rigs on them and actively race them.
    Ben Fuller

My Sea Pearl has an empty displacement of about 600 pounds. To that I can add about 400 pounds of water ballast. Without getting too detailed about the heft of certain crewmembers and assorted accoutrements, we can probably top out at about 1500 pounds. 135 square feet of sail in a cat-ketch configuration push it nicely.

We look forward to meeting and sailing with all of you in August!

Hey Phil, when we met at Doug's I didn't realize you were entered in the SRR. Gavin and I are really looking forward to this event, too.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Faerings traditionally also carried low spritsails with jibs. The Norwegians have taken the oselver style and put modern dinghy rigs on them and actively race them.
    In some testing in 15 gusting yesterday, one person sitting on the rail can carry the 100 plus sq ft of gaff sail on the faering. This is more than was traditional. The jib on the traditional rig would be useful as there is reluctance in the tacks. I may cobble something up from the bits bag. Boat goes good. She was dried out a bit from sitting on a beach for some days so weeping. We were getting some air bubbles coming up in the seams. Is it faster? Who knows?
    Ben Fuller

Looking to win, Ben? Sounds like it.

Actually I am not sailing the faering in the event... boat is being lent to an August Personage. But I may sail it over.
    Ben Fuller

Hi Phiil,

Julia and I will be at the SRR as well. (We also met at Lefty's.) See you there.

Russ
    Hove to off Swan Point......

Someone asked about the Skerry hull and a dory hull. The Skerry hull resembles a Swampscott dory in some ways, though probably has less L/B (compared to the only swampscott I know, at the Mystic Seaport rent-to-row shed), and the bottom is slightly V-ed, if I recall correctly from seeing it last year. A sweet little boat, but true, the sail foot seems high. When I first sailed my Lowell dory-skiff, I kept sail foot high to watch for drunk speedboaters and avoid head bashing. It really sucked though on such a tender boat. Older and wiser, I shortened mast, dropped foot, and sailing is better. I just developed habit of looking under sail often (a window, though not traditional, could save your life, though. Tradition is not always good when life changes around it! Then: time for a new tradition). I foam-padded the boom to protect against loss of teeth, but the boom is low enough now to whack me more in the chest than the face, and life jacket doubles as 'flak jacket' now that I wear it all the time ;-) My question is, why doesn't somebody offer some longer kit-boats, say, 18 footers? The Nutshell Pram and the Skerry are all very fine, but a boat starts becoming really useful at 18 feet long, and still towable by a small car in some cases. But that is a different thread...-- Wade

I'd like to throw in a design that I can see being great for the SRR or raid or family beach sail...Vivier's Le Seil:

See a third of the way down on his sail-and-oars page:

http://vivierboats.com/html/stock_sail_and_oar.html

This would be a fun, quick build and a great boat to use...and for family day sailing she'd could take one of the new battery pack outboards that fold up and stow ("the torqueedo"). I have loved the pram shape for a while and thought about starting some drafting for an 18' model then I found Le Seil. Food for thought.

Cheers,
    Clint
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

For those who use their small reach design at home as a family daysailor check this motor out...
    http://www.torqeedo.com/us/hn/products/travel.html

She is electric with integrated battery pack and folds up to stow or load from boat to car weighing 25 lbs.

ANyone here using one of these?

Cheers,
    Clint
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    . A sweet little boat, but true, the sail foot seems high. When I first sailed my Lowell dory-skiff, I kept sail foot high to watch for drunk speedboaters and avoid head bashing. It really sucked though on such a tender boat. Older and wiser, I shortened mast, dropped foot, and sailing is better. I just developed habit of looking under sail often (a window, though not traditional, could save your life, though. Tradition is not always good when life changes around it! Then: time for a new tradition). I foam-padded the boom to protect against loss of teeth, but the boom is low enough now to whack me more in the chest than the face, and life jacket doubles as 'flak jacket' now that I wear it all the time ;-) Wade
    Those coming to the SRR will see the ducker boomed sprit rig. Low at the tack but the tradition was to raise the clew so that the boom clears you sitting from amidships aft. That is sail area that is not as as as luff length. You'll also see a brailing line that pulls the whole mess into the mast.
    Ben Fuller

Default Photo album

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    ANyone here using one of these?
    Sorry, I'll start a new post RE: torqueedo.

Hey, I'd love to see a photo of the ducker if available easily.

We should think about using this forum to collect photos and make a photo book of the SRR through one of the numerous digital photo onlin services. Bring cameras everyone and plenty of spare batteries.

Cheers,
    Clint
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Clinton great Idea, I was thinking it would be nice if we could get a photo of each boat type on the SRR list.

about dory sails
    I agree with Ben and Wade a sharply rising foot (30 degrees +-) is great on a dory.

Steven Bauer is great at organizing photos. I COULD vilunteer to work on such a project but I am disorganized with photo documentation.

We could have photos of each boat as well as camping photos...life of a raid type of shots.

Clint
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

Default Re: Small Reach designs!

Hi all
    Well it's that time again, time to figure out what you will be sailing on the Small Reach this August.
    Bill is going with his Ipswich Bay 18' "Peggy Bliss" again this year, so I know what ever I sail I wont be the fastest, this makes the Schooner Dory an obvious choice, and I know the Sea Scouts will get a big kick out of camping at WB and sailing the reach.
    What is everyone else bringing???
    Dan
    http://dansdories.googlepages.com

Hi all
    Thought there may be a member or two interested in the varied fleet of craft showing at this years Small Reach Regatta. Looks like Tom and the crew at Wooden Boat have a great fleet and some very cool suprises for this years event! Lots of interesting designs, and if last year was any indication we should have a great variety of conditions to test them in.
    Dan

Participating Boats and Skippers
    No. NAME DESIGN SKIPPER HOMEPORT
    1 FAR & AWAY Nomans Land Boat Tom Jackson Brooklin, ME
    2 Washington County Peapod Charles Chamberlain Brunswick, ME
    3 PIECES Drascome Scaffie Thomas Hepp Appleton, ME
    4 MARY JO Herreshoff Coquina John Hutchinson Saxonburg, PA
    5 OCCAM'S RAZOR Swampscott Dory Malcolm Forbes Merrimack,NH
    6 OSPREY Penobscot 17 Tom Williamson Windsor VT
    7 Moosabec Reach Boat No. 1 Rick Hayden China, ME
    8 WIZARD Herreshoff Coquina Vagn Worm Brooklin, ME
    9 DELIGHT Caledonia Yawl John Shinaberger Bradford, PA
    10 SCOUT Sea Pearl Phillip Bacon Hamden, CT
    11 REBECCA ANN Caledonia Yawl Dave Davenport Linville, VA
    12 PUCK Lapstrake pulling boat Bob Yorke Scituate, MA
    13 ELSIE Swampscot Dory Allen Head Concord, NH
    14 URCHIN Salisbury Point Skiff Wendy Byar Willingboro, NJ
    15 PEPITA Melonseed Mike Wick Morristown, NJ
    16 DONNACHAIDH’S DELIGHT Caledonia Yawl Mike Duncan Annandale, VA
    17 LITTLE OTTER Ness Yawl Jeffrey Horbar Charlotte, VT
    18 GIZMO Welsford Tread Lightly Bob Trygg Duluth, MN
    19 JACK RABBIT II Exploration 18 Burton Blais S. Mountain, ON
    20 VICTORY faering/Swampscot dory Jimmy Vitale Luthersville, MD
    21 JASMINE Caledonia Yawl Chris Drouin Auburn, NH
    22 MEANDER Matinicus Peapod Michaek Howard Amherst, MA
    23 SUPERSEED Melonseed David McCullen Old Lyme, CT
    24 ISLAND LADY Canoe Yawl David Wyman Castine, ME
    25 THESTRAL II Faering type lug yawl Bruce Elfstrom East Haddam. CT
    26 ROSIE B. Penobscot 17 lug ketch David Gilroy East Granby, CT
    27 CRICKET Sharpie Jim Luton Brooklyn, NY
    28 OCARINA Shearwater John Silverio Lincolnville, ME
    29 PEGGY BLISS Ipswich Bay 18 William Richards Georgetown, MA
    30 Matinicus Island Peapod Chip Angell Brooklin, ME
    31 Drascombe Lugger Al Hansen Wilmot Flat, NH
    32 GREY LADY Caledonia Yawl John Gibney Arlington, VA
    33 GANNET Atlantic 17 pulling boat Steve Woll Pembroke, MA
    34 HERON Oughtred Caledonia Yawl Bill Boyd Topsham, ME
    35 LITEN KUHLING Alfjords faering Ben Fuller Cushing, ME
    36 RAN TAN Harrier Tony Diaz Cushing, ME
    37 JOSEF W. Delaware ducker Ben Fuller Cushing, ME
    38 DORIAN GRAY Hammond Dory Eric Slosser Needham, MA
    39 LEA South Jersey Beach skiff Stephen Dwyer Merrimac, MA
    40 SEA BISCUIT Swampscot Dory Jay Irwin Baltimore, MD
    41 RAVEN Norseboat 17.5 Robert Pante' Windsor, VT
    42 NED LUDD Oughtred Caledonia Yawl Geoff Kerr Westford, VT
    43 HMS VICTORIA Matinicus Double Ender Larry O'Brien Salisbury, MA
    44 CALICO JACK Bob Lavertue Ludlow, MA
    45 EMERSON ALBURY Bahama Dinghy Wade Smith N. Franklin, CT
    46 VERRY SKERRY CLC Skerry Bill Corbett Castine, ME
    47 BLUEBIRD Bolger "Surf" Trevor Peterson Brunswick, ME
    48 SELKIE Caledonia Yawl Joel Page Jeffersonville, VT
    49 BANKS DORY Banks dory Daniel Noyes Newbury, MA
    50 BELLA BARCA Kingston Lobsterboat John Princell Brooklin, ME
    51 DRAKE Faering Clinton Chase Portland, ME
    52 VINLAND EXPRESS modified faering Robert Wolfertz Rosemont, NJ
    53 DIXIE BELLE skiff Mike Spencer Greensboro, PA
    54 IT’S ABOUT TIME Shellback Ted Stanton Stonington, CT
    55 EMMA sharpie John Eastman
    56 MY FAER LADY Ourghtred faering Steven Bauer Portland, ME
    57 Swampscot Dory Willits Ansel Georgetown, ME
    58 whaleboat Don Chapin Pocasset, MA

I am finishing up the lines plan for a new boat that I'll probably debut at the '10 SRR. I call it the Maine Coast Dinghy. It is 18'8" (I may stretch it a few more inches) x 6'6" and on the waterline it is 17' x 5'2". She'll be glued lap plywood and built with some sort of half decking. She is made to sail fast but be tolerable to row even for a little distance. The one above, #51 Drake, will be my first design-build and on schedule to launch at this years SRR. She'll have my Shellback dinghy standing lug rig as a sail for off the wind; my spruce is on order for the oars to get me going into the wind! Here she is...

Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

The rowing club will be bringing the raceing schooner dory this year.
    dan
    http://dansdories.googlepages.com
    [IMG]

anyone like to speculate on why the majority of these boats come in just under 20 feet? Is there some Coastgard regulation I have not heard of? Thanks - nick