Thread: Plans for a Quincy Adams 17

Default Plans for a Quincy Adams 17

Is anyone aware if there are plans available for an Adams 17? I just think it is one of the most handsome knockabouts I've seen.

Similarily, what can some one tell me about the practicalities, and legalities, of having a naval architect or designer draw up plans based on an actual example?

Thanks
    Dave

Hi there Mr. Fricker
    from the lack of responses I'm guessing people havent heard of the 17' Quincy Adams. what part of the world is the design from? I live near Boston and am unfamiliar with the class. If you are interested in small knockabouts I recently built the Ipswich Bay 18' class for a gentelman from Georgetown Ma. USA.
    18' on deck, 12 1/2 ft. waterline centerboard etc. real neat boat, great performer.
    Mabey you could post a picture of the Qincy Adams, or a thourough description and posibly a builder?
    thanks
    Daniel Noyes
    http://dansdories.googlepages.com

[img][/img]

The QA is a lovely boat - I sailed on them lots when I was young and living in Connecticut. I looked a month ago (more or less) for plans, etc., but came up with nothing much. Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation had one a few years ago, I think.
    If you find some, please post here - I have fond memories of them and I'd be interested in more info.
    Very old forum post here - maybe one of these folks is still around and has info?
    http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=12898
    Last edited by Uncle Duke; 05-19-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Someone wanted pictures?

From here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lpetrulio/Emeritus02

That one's for sale, latest WB, $18,000.

Default Emeritus - QA17 hull #16

Emeritus is hull #16. She went through a nice restoration before the current owner bought her. The first "catch" in my QA Quest, I spotted her clear across a winter storage yard in Camden, Maine.
    She was raced out of Riverside Yacht Club (CT). I recall crewing on her against my Dad a summer in the late 60's.

IMHO...
    I read the Dark Harbor 17 (25'10" LOA) was considered too wet a boat for Mainer's so the Dark Harbor 20 was built (30 LOA) and was received favorably. I am guessing some people still wanted the smaller boat so the Quincy Adams 17 (26'6" LOA) was designed and built. The lines are very similar.

She was raced out of Riverside Yacht Club (CT)
    Trivia note: I also spent a little time on QA's at RYC in the 60's. Great racing scene then - and still now, I understand, but without the lovely old boats.

Default Re: Plans for a Quincy Adams 17

I have a complete set of plans for the QA. My dad used to race QA's out of Riverside Yacht Club (#16), and he got hold of a set of plans some 20-30 years ago. I have copies. Let me know if you are interested.

I know this is an old thread, but do you still have those QA plans? We recently discovered that our boat was mistakenly labeled a sound inter club, when it is actually a QA 17. We would like to put it back to original condition, but there are some details we aren’t sure of. This would be incredibly helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by hueske View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but do you still have those QA plans? We recently discovered that our boat was mistakenly labeled a sound inter club, when it is actually a QA 17. We would like to put it back to original condition, but there are some details we aren’t sure of. This would be incredibly helpful!
    G Merz hasn't been active since 2013 - you may want to send him an e-mail if that's still valid (click on his name and select e-mail).

Quote Originally Posted by hueske View Post
    Tape measure time. The QA17 is 26 LOA, the Interclub 24 LOA.

If G Merz can't help, try Mystic Seaport's Ships Plans department: https://research.mysticseaport.org/?s=quincy+adams+17
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

Staunch Quincy Adams possess proud tradition (Greenwich Time, Thursday, May 12, 1977)

It takes dedication to be a racing skipper. It takes a special sort of dedication to maintain and campaign 30-year old wooden racing boats. And yet, 10 persistent traditionalists do exactly that, Sunday after Sunday. As a result, the 27' Quincy Adams sloops constitute one of the most active fleets in the Greenwich area.

With her deep keel and graceful long ends, the Quincy Adams is a beautiful classic, long since obsolete on the drawing boards of today's naval architects. Moreover, to those who spend countless man-hours practicing the almost archaic art of boat carpentry, she is something else.

One of the Clorox bottle skippers recently said, "When the Quincy Adams die, then the ancient art of ship carpentry is dead in Riverside" —and he is right. It takes a dedicated man, with ingenuity, to keep these old boats in racing condition and, if you cannot do it yourself, you can no longer find anyone else to do it. The ancient shipwrights from Sweden or Norway are a fast dying-out race around here.

"She sails like a snake" or "The boat balances like a precision machine."

Comments like these describe the sort of performance that keeps them coming back, alive and kicking, year after year. Stiff enough to stand up to almost any rateable breeze, the Quincy Adams can carry enough sail power through the accompanying chop. With her delicate balance, she can still ghost around the the marks in an August zephyr.

While there are about 18 of the breed scattered from New York to Maine, Riverside Yacht Club has the only fleet still racing. It is undoubtedly the oldest fleet in the area, having competed since 1946. The fleet is rigidly controlled one-design with sails being custom built only in a lot at the same time for the entire fleet.

In 1977 the Quincy Adams enter their 30th year of a active, around-the-buoys racing in Greenwich. This anniversary is being celebrated by several special events—such as old timers Vs. current skippers—and we are sure the old timers still can teach us all a trick or two.

One skipper, active until the end of '76, started as a crew in 1948, bought the boat in 1949 and missed hardly a race from that time through the 1976 season. John Muhlfield, who has won more races in a Quincy Adams than anyone else, has now finally retired—and the old fox of the fleet is moving over to make room for the younger crowd. He should be saluted—for 29 years of dedication to one of the most gracious racing craft on the Sound.

It is worth noting that a small local fleet has some compensations: season winner is, by definition, Quincy Adams World Champion. In 1976 all the major honors went to Ron Smith and Neil Thomas in Caprice and, in their absence, ably substituted by Frank Bloomer Jr., who came in as a substitute skipper to help out. Between the three of them they walked off with all the silver for the season.

With spring upon us, fitting out has started again and one by one the ageless wonders slip back into the water. When the gun signals the start of the first race, on May 30, it's a pretty safe bet most of the fleet will be there at the starting line, ready for their 30th season.

We are certain that the class will remain with us for many years through dedicated work by owners and crew. When they, like the old soldier have finally faded away, we will all be found in a Clorox bottle—God forbid.

(This article, from RYC was— in accordance with the theme of this article— "Purist"—Sports Editor)

13.jpg
    Last edited by N Thomas; 05-02-2018 at 10:42 AM.