Thread: 23ft Norwegian Kutter Sailboat

Default 23ft Norwegian Kutter Sailboat

I am trying a new thread to see if I can find any more information about this boat. There doesn't seem to be much info on the web. I found a norwegian site about the boat but I can only guess at what most of it says. www.kutterklubben.no

What I know about this boat:

The boat was designed by Erling L. Kristoffersen
    An active class exists in Norway.
    Several of these boats were imported to the Seattle area and sailed out of Cozy Cove Yacht Club. I don't think this club exists anymore.
    My boat is no. 59 and according to the registry of boats on the kutterklubben site, this one is presumed to have sunk.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Oh, BTW there is another thread I started back in Nov. 2006
    Steve
    Last edited by salty hoosier; 05-02-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: additional info.

Try using Babel fish to translate the site.
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

The boat, if it is the same as the ones on the site you provided, is a beautiful boat.
    Last edited by S/V Laura Ellen; 05-03-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Hi, if you need translation help cut’n paste the peace into this thread or send it to my e-mail and I will translate it for you

Most of the Kutters were donated to the Center for Wooden Boats after the fleet broke up. They are for sail here:

http://www.cwb.org/BoatsForSale.htm

If you contact CWB, maybe Patrick can tell you more about them.

Salty,

Your information on the Kutter is correct....

However, most do not know that there also was a fleet of them in or near Harbor Springs MI (Little Traverse Yacht Club, perhaps) in the early 1960's.

Most were sold off in the mid to late 60's with some sailing in Lake Charlevoix and one in White Lake, just north of Muskegon.

At this point I do not know of any still in existance from the Harbor Springs (or area) fleet.

The boats were exceptionally quick for their design. They were made of pine, so most I would imagine suffered from dryrot and were destroyed.

If anyone knows of any boats left in the midwest, please keep me posted.

Default Michigan Kutters

The kutter I now own came to Indiana from Michigan.
    Thanks for the additional info.

Salty,

There was a fleet in Harbor Springs MI (Little Traverse Yacht Club) in the 50's/60's..... Where did your boat come from (who/where) in Michigan.

We are also seeking a Kutter here in Michigan.... My father owned one and I grew up sailing with our family on his (our) Kutter in Charlevoix...

Have more info and want to know more!

Velocity

Default Michigan kutter

Thanks for the reply Velocity. I'm sorry but I do not know from where in Michigan my kutter came. The previous owner died and I purchased the boat to save it from the chainsaw. The owner's children (adults) did not know much about the boat.

I would be glad to share any info I can find.

Steve.

Default I happened to meet the gentleman who was.....

involved in bringing the boats from Norway to Seattle. He told me that there had been 9 or 10 at one time. There are three at the Center right now. They are still quite lovely boats, and you can just imagine what one would look like were it to be taken down to bare wood and refinished. Awesome looking boats. Unfortunately one of them lost their mast the day before we arrived in Seattle. Had a run-in with one of the bridges around Lake Union.

If you want to get in touch with this fellow try contacting Vern Velez at the CWB and he can tell you the gentleman's name (I was introduced to so many people and unfortunately have a terrible way with names. I usually write them down, and I still forget most of them).

Mickey Lake

Default Thanks Bama Mick

Thanks for the info. I'll try to contact the person @CWB

Steve.

Default Re: 23ft Norwegian Kutter Sailboat

I am the owner of boat number 39 from the original fleet of 9 vessels that Fred Sundt brought over from Norway in the '70's and a former member of the now disbanded Cozy Cove Yacht Club (CCYC) on Hunts Point. Fred gave me all of the original CCYC paperwork and sailing regatta courses for Lake Washington used by the Club over the past 30+ years.

Number 39, named Storman was built in 1955 and is in remarkable condition and very seaworthy and sailable.

I refinished the hull by taking it down to fresh wood last year. I have it moored at my dock directly across (50 yards) from the old CCYC where I live.

I am considering selling her and can be reached at dt_2468@hotmail.com if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by DanaGreen; 07-23-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Dana, can i contact you about one of these boats that i recently bought on San Juan Island?
    tim.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Here is mine, I think she is the one that bust the mast, she had no rig when I got her. I converted to gaff and added the cuddy. She just got a new rudder, going back in tomorrow.

My name is Sean Kiaer and was a member of the Cozy Cove Kutter Fleet. (N64) in Bellevue WA.
    The fleet was very active till it disbanded back in the late 90's early 2000's and the boats were donated to the center for wooden boats. Unfortunately the CfWB did not do much with them and the boat were left to rot. N64 sank and was cut up and thrown away due to extensive rotting and several other boats also met there dimize the same way under the care of the CfWB.
    They were imported to Cozy Cove by the late Fred Sundt and were maintained by his late son Bjorn who worked for the CfWB's in Seattle. I do know that one owner kept his on the south end of Lake WA and another did go to Friday Harbor but don't know the status of them and no longer have contact with the owners. I still have a new main and jib for the boat. They were a great boat and one that I miss greatly.

Sean,
    I don't recall that Bjorn ever worked for the Center. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been teaching there for decades. Stein brings his cutter up from Renton to my Shoreline shop every season for repairs and maintenance. I did some work at Cosey Cove as Bjorn tapered off. Somebody will be interested in those sails of yours - maybe Tim Collins on San Juan.

The fleet had problems before going to cwb. Sitting in lake union did not help. It was a bone headed move.
    Eric

Maybe Bjorn volunteered there but I do know that he spent a lot of time there. Nice to know Stein still has his.

Sean, just saw your post... I am interested in the sails... contact 360-370-5502. Thanks Tim.

Sean, are you still around?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I sold mine a few years ago . I believe she has a slip in Poulsbo now. I just could not get my head around sailing an open ballasted boat in these frigid waters. She got real small real fast in bad weather.