Thread: Wiring a self-parking windscreen-wiper DC motor

Default Wiring a self-parking windscreen-wiper DC motor

I am currently in the phase of re-fitting electrical devices back into my boat, some 2 1/2 years after de-commissioning these when the refurbishment first started.

The wind-screen wiper motors are 12 V DC, marketed by AFI (a Marinco subsidiary) and have three terminals: (+) , (-) and 'park'.

I recall that a a diode needed to be interposed somewhere in the wiring in order to implement the self-parking feature.

Marinco´s site has no info covering the installation.

Here is a typical schematic with a good explanation for a two speed motor. Ther are other variations for the twospeed circuit but the park application is pretty typical.
    http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/wiper.htm

Thanks, I fixed the link, Edit to add: The "park" circuit should be essentially the same

Last edited by Canoeyawl; 04-19-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks for the tip.

Now I know how a 2-speed wiper motor may be obtained, but am still out in the cold as regards wiring my AFi wiper-motor !

BTW, you may need to edit the site data, viz., erase the extra http:// up front

Really appreciate your help on this one, but I am not feeling particularly inclined to actually delve into the matter and then determine how mine should be wired up.

When the motor ends up as a short-circuited (sc´d) generator on switching off due to mechanical inertia as per the descriptive notes supplied, the diode - that I mentioned above - may come into play in order to route the sc´d current, without sc´ing the source.

Consequently, there now seems to be a definite clue ..... but I am still feeling lazy - or may I say, a bit over worked ? !

Let's wait for confirmation on this..... The (+) and (-) are pretty simple. The (+) is your switched hot wire, while the (-) is the unswitched ground. I believe the (park) is to be an UNswitched (always) hot lead which supplies power to the motor AFTER you turn off the switch. There is a small switch built inside the wiper motor so that the motor receives power from the "park" wire through most of the cycle, and is switched off momentarily at the end of the cycle.
    ............... As I said, let's wait for confirmation on this, the last time I reviewed an autostopping wiper was about 30 years ago.

Thanks nedL, the clue has got much hotter now, but not boiling yet....... !

Looking closer at the wiring diagram, the 'always hot' wire I mentioned would be the "BLK/GRY" wire on the left. This diagram shows the internal switch I mentioned as an external feature by the crank arm and is labeled "Cam on Crank Arm". This makes sense for a two speed wiper, and if yours is a two speed one there is a bit more wiring that needs to be done (as is shown). If you have a single speed wiper (with just a simple on/off switch) then what I said should work. I would bring the hot 'park' wire from the 'line' side of the on/off switch, to make sure everything is fused properly.
    Last edited by nedL; 04-20-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Try this...
    email me if you want a larger version